Tuesday, June 30, 2015

RULES OF CHANGE...









This was last week... 





Picture taken from Pinterest


As I was watching a re-run
 of Fixer Upper
 for about the 100th time 
(I guess you could say I am obsessed.
 I think these two
 might have been my kids
 in a different life 
so I like to show them off).

 I noticed that Joanna
 had styled an over mantle
 with two windows. 
 Of course, 
her's were actually mirrors
 that looked like windows
 and were very elegant looking. 
 But, it reminded me
 of two windows 
that we occasionally hang
 on the front porch.





We started out
 hanging them at the end of the porch
 at the beginning of summer
 a few years ago. 
 Before we knew it,
 summer was gone 
and the winds picked up 
and we had to take them down.
  Then we forgot
 to put them back up 
until the next summer was nearly over,
 then the winds returned,
 so you know how that goes.

 Now
they have been sitting
 in the garage gathering dust..
until I had
 a light-bulb moment!






When I threw my idea
 out to the Captain,
 he was totally against it. 
 He still hasn't quite
 gotten the idea
of the "old" 
not looking like brand new, 
as in the eye of
 a furniture refinisher, 
in the 1980's and 90's, 
when everything was oak
 and finished in a
 pristine manner.

 But,
 we have a chalk board worthy attitude
 in this Cottage...




I didn't 'heart' Jake's signature in upper left corner until after I had taken the photo.  Once a little boy, always a little boy!


...and you know the rest of the story.






So now, this is today...
















I finished
 the new pillows 
and am pleased how the colors match
 (which was not planned BTW)
 the patriotic sign
 that I have had for years
 and which has also come off
 of its usual place on the porch
 at this time of year.






I am really liking this new arrangement.
  I think
 there will be many possibilities
 for decorating 
to my little heart's content.

  As for the Captain
 when I ask him
 if he has changed his mind 
about the windows,
 he just turns away 
and grumbles!!!

 I just make sure 
that he turns
 toward that blackboard!






It has been so hot here
 and I'm trying really hard
 to stick to my motto
 of not wishing away time 
and to enjoy everything 
in the here and now.

 So far it's working...






"Ah, Summer
What Power You Have
To Make Us Suffer And Like It."

Russell Baker


Have a wonderful week...


...Judy...






Sharing today at:

















14 comments:

  1. Super cute, Judy....Your light bulb moment had a lot of wattage, lol! I am a huge fan of Fixer Upper as well. I am so glad HGTV has this show and am hoping it is a sign of good things to come. I almost forgot - your new pillows are lovely! Happy fourth to you and yours. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv the double window with he patriotic vignette. I too am a big fan of Fixer Upper and can hardly wait for the new season.
    Aaahhhh summer... here in N. C. Florida it is really hot. Today's high was 93 but felt like 98. The wind , rain and thunder was something to respect this afternoon... but in typical form, it blew over and the sun shone brightly again.
    Happy July 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Fixer Upper, too. I just started watching it a few weeks ago. HGTV hit it out of the park with this one-they are a talented couple. Your pillows are great and I love those windows hanging....GREAT post Judy. Happy 4thof July---- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhhh Summer...it is really just arriving here in Maine...Loved how you changed things up...and love those pillows, very nice..."If momma ain't happy nobody's happy"...Happy Fourth of July...sending greetings from Maine...Julie...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy, I love Fixer Upper too and watch it every week. We are going to go down to Waco and visited the shop sometime this year. I get Joanna's blog posts and newsletters each week.
    Love how the windows look over your sofa. Really a beautiful look. Have a wonderful 4th of July.
    Hugs, cm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think i'm the only one that doesn't watch Fixer Upper, I love your windows above the shelf and al, have a wonderful July!

    Rondell♥


    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Judy, I totally LOVE using chippy windows/shutters to decorate! Love how they look in your room, seems like they have been there forever! You pillows are perfect too! LOVE Chip and Joanna :) Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy, I love what you have done with your old windows, both inside and on the porch. Your home is so comfortable and charming. I really like your 4th of July decorating. Totally Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy,
    What a great post!! Love the new look in this room ! And love all the Red, White and Blue!!
    Thanks so much for stopping by and for the encouraging words!! I go Part Time on July 26th!! Whoa!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it Judy! The open window frames add an airiness and rustic feel to the shelf whereas the print was large and heavy looking. I think it was a good move. I like your patriotic sign under it and the cushions. That shelf is going to be a great decorating spot all year 'round. Have a great day!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the windows in your new arrangement; everything goes so well together. Love your style. Wishing you a Happy Fourth of July.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good day to you, dear Judy! Your pillows look absolutely perfect, my friend :) And I just LOVE the American flags on the shelf. You have created a beautiful and very patriotic setting. Hugs to you and Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eureka!! Great find {even if it was in your stash :) } for the shelf!! I really like the windows there, and I can see how you could decorate around them, and with them for every season :)
    Sorry to the Capt. ... I'm on your side, with this one :)

    Love, love, Fixer~Upper!! Guess that's because I can relate... **heehee**... as we've always had "Fixer ~ Uppers.
    That is until now, with our new house...

    Keep up the good attitude towards summer. I'm trying to not wish it away too quickly either.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judy, I love your flags and the flag pillow is sweet. I laughed about Jake putting his name in the corner. I have a g.son named Jake..he would do that too. :):) Blessings for a wonderful 4th of July weekend, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy