Tuesday, September 27, 2016

FINALLY, FALL...










First,
 let me set the record straight...
I am not a southern girl. 
 I am probably as northern 
as they come but,
 may I say...


HAPPY  FALL  Y'ALL...

I just love 
the way that rolls 
off the tongue!






Finally,
 fall is here and 
it is as 
hoped for.







Soft breezes,
 cooler air, 
falling leaves 
and
blue skies.






Fall
 is the time 
for nesting,
 for gathering 
and 
for settling in...




...for dreaming
 with a good book
 and a warm throw
 by the side
 of the fire.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Jake, Tim, Kai, Captain, and Tami



Fall
 is also time 
for back to school and
 Jake took us, and his parents, 
on a tour of Santa Clara University 
where he will be studying 
for his masters 
over the next two years.






Santa Clara University 
is California's oldest operating 
institution of higher learning. 
 It opened its doors in 1851 
and has always remained faithful
 to the 475 year old 
Jesuit tradition
 and core values.






Established in 1777 
by Father Junipero Serra,
 the Mission Santa Clara de Asis 
was the 8th of the 21
 original California missions. 
 The campus was built 
around the Mission 
and is, and always has been, 
the University's 
anchor and spiritual center.






The school,
 originally named
 "Santa Clara College" (1851-1856)
 began as an all-boys preparatory school.
  Santa Clara 
started offering college courses in 1853, 
and by 1875
 had an enrollment of more than 275 students 
at the preparatory and collegiate levels.






With the addition 
of law and engineering schools,
 the college became 
"The University of Santa Clara" in 1912. 
 The Leavey School of Business 
opened in 1926,
 and within a decade
it became one of the first business schools 
in the country 
to receive national accreditation.






In 1961,
 Santa Clara University 
admitted 75 female undergraduates,
 becoming the first Catholic 
coeducational university 
in California.





In 1985,
 The University 
adopted Santa Clara University
 as its official name, 
and today SCU 
enrolls 9,000 undergraduate and graduate
 students from all over the world.








It is a beautiful campus,
 meticulously landscaped with
 rolling lawns, palm trees,
 bright flowers and rose gardens.
  The above 
is one of a number of olive trees
 that were planted in 1822.






As I write this,
Jake has been attending classes
 for almost two weeks.
 He is loving it.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





Remember
 when a sales woman said
 that I would be able
 to keep a living plant alive in my house?
 Above,
 is how the China Doll
 looked when I brought her home...






...the woman was right
 and this is the longest 
I have ever gone 
with good results. 
 I am so proud 
of how this little beauty is progressing.
  She has not dropped 
one little leaf yet...






...so I decided 
that I would take a chance 
on an even bigger China Doll.

 Over confident, you say! 
 Time will tell.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






I am so pleased 
with the response from all of you 
about whether I should 
take a paint brush (AGAIN) 
to our chest.

 I appreciate all your comments
 and have to say
 that you were ALL in agreement
 that I should not!..
However, 
after much thinking it over, 
I decided...






J U S T   K I D D I N G !!!






To be honest,
 I think I knew what I was going to do
right after the Captain worked his magic.

 I couldn't believe 
that I just didn't see 
that a little distressing
 was all it needed in the first place,
 and I am so thankful 
that you all agreed! 

 After a couple of coats of hemp oil, 
she now really belongs!






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






The beginning of fall
 brings us to the end of September
 and a change for
 the parlor mantle...








...and after a long day of work 
nothing is better than 
a light dinner
 on the porch.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






For those of you
 who are familiar 
with what I do on this blog,
 you already know what
 October will bring...






...and thanks
 to my good friend, Cheryl,
 who gifted me 
with the sweetest little framed embroidery
 that I just love 
so much...





...thank you, my friend!


I'd like to invite you,
 my pretties,
 to join the Cottage Witch 
and all of her friends
for the next month, 
when they appear each week 
between 
the Moonlight and the Majic.






By Invitation Only.


Be very  kind of  sort of  Afraid!


...Judy...






Sharing this week with:
































18 comments:

  1. My goodness you have been busy. As a fellow Californian I agree with you, it is so nice to have to worst of the hot weather over. I say this and it is in the 90's today, but next week is supposed to be much cooler.

    What a beautiful university, I am not very familiar with is but it certainly has a wonderful history and such a gorgeous campus.

    Happy fall decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness you have been busy. As a fellow Californian I agree with you, it is so nice to have to worst of the hot weather over. I say this and it is in the 90's today, but next week is supposed to be much cooler.

    What a beautiful university, I am not very familiar with is but it certainly has a wonderful history and such a gorgeous campus.

    Happy fall decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of fall on display today, Judy, for sure! Nothing is more representative of the season than a squirrel with his prized nut, your cozy fall decor and a visit to a historic college....all lovely. I'm glad to see your plant is holding its own. Good luck with the new one. Maybe I should get one of these plants. I don't have a very green thumb either... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely Beautiful campus! One of the things I enjoy about reading your blog, is the research and history you share from so many wonderful places! I really appreciate that, I feel as though I learn new things all the time! I cannot wait until your first October post, I can't believe it's been a year already! Love the dresser! Blessings, Cindy xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - everything is so pretty - you are so good at bringing in the seasons. Love the table setting - and the mantel - and the dresser - oh I love it all -and can't wait for your party - looking for the witchies to show up. The visit to the University was wonderful - what a grand place to learn new things. Enjoy your wonderful week my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is such a warmth and coziness to your home... I love it all! I love the way you've decorated for Fall, and the sweet touches in every nook.
    Congrats to Jake! Thanks for sharing that great news with us, and best of luck to him.
    Also, thanks for letting us know about the university... such a rich heritage that place has!

    Happy, happy that you left the hutch as is. It really looks fantastic!
    I've never used hemp oil, is it hard to apply? Does it need a long time to dry??

    Have a lovely rest of your week.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy Judy your grandson is at a very beautiful place for his Master's. Congrats to him. I am a summer girl but am loving the fall beginnings. I do love a cozy throw on a cool day. Have a super week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Judy, what a beautiful fall post of inspiration and beauty like you truly know how to present. Love learning more about USC and seeing the gorgeous pics of the campus. I love the quote written in stone.
    Your home is lovely and so charming and inspiring for fall. It just welcomes you inside.
    Thank you for sharing. Love your fall header too. Have a great rest of the week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Judy
    How adorable is your fall decor. I love seeing all the colorful fall colors and the pumpkins. So lovely and so happy you joined Dishing it and Digging it link party. We love having you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, filled with so much beauty and interesting bits to read. I love your silver pumpkins. They are beautiful!

    Enjoy the rest of your week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since I'm newish to your blog, I'm excited to see what you do in October! The college campus is so beautiful and old world looking.. what a wonderful place to attend school. Love your silver pumpkins and the table setting on the porch makes me wish I had a porch too! Just lovely.. and makes me actually WANT to decorate! I don't have many Fall items for decorations, plates or anything, but sure would be fun.. maybe I'll have to make a little thrift/antique store foray pretty soon! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Judy, what a beautiful campus. thank you so much for all the information - so many beautiful flowers, trees.
    Your home looks wonderful with all your touches of Fall.

    We are still having HOT weather, but they say Saturday will be cooler, I have to see it to believe it.

    Great post - thank so much and have a wonderful weekend.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. You said it perfectly. You'd fit right in with us here in the south. I love all of your pretty Fall things. I'm slowly getting mine out. We are in the middle of painting the outside of the house and then the inside so I am slower than usual. Happy Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am amazed with your DELIGHTFUL sharing .enchanting to eyes and soul

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great post..full of eye candy..love the mercury glass pumpkins..everything looks beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great campus and I read twice the sentiments of a fellow bronco, words well spoken.
    Your mantle is wonderfully decorated and you always stay so busy, I want your energy. I see you still have your blog links on your sidebar - mine is gone and don't know what happened to them, will find out though I hope.
    pleasant evening to you
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Judy, So glad your China Doll is alive and well and that you got another one. Before we moved to this house, I was given Orchids by my mil; couldn't keep them alive for anything~but this house has the right light and now I have four. Right now they are without blooms, but they will continue to grow and bloom again.
    Lots of great pieces and I love that you didn't paint the dresser.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your son's university, SCU, looks beautiful and has such an interesting history. I love your fall decor and am glad you decided not to paint the white dresser. It looks perfect the way it is. Happy Fall to you Judy. Enjoy these beautiful autumn days. Hugs. Pam

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy