Tuesday, July 22, 2014

EUREKA...








Usually, I don't divulge the process of a makeover until it is done.  But, today, I really have to!





You have seen the Cottage entry before.  This project was started about 23 years ago, soon after we moved in.

It has seen some slight transformations between then and now and you will have to wait a little longer to see the final one.  But, today, I am disclosing a piece of information that you might find helpful.

This is totally my opinion.  I am not a spokesperson, paid or otherwise, for this company.

I am just in awe of the product and wanted to share it with all who might be interested.






Remember this chest that has been in the entry since we moved in.  It is the perfect place to set the keys or the mail and the drawers hold an assortment of gloves, scarves and anything else that can be crammed in.

I believe it is called East Lake style and it was painted white when we found it.  The Captain worked his magic and stripped and stained the pine wood and we have loved it for many years.  
Now it is time for a change so a face lift of this chest, and the entry, has begun.





While the Captain is repainting the ceiling and the trim, I am painting the chest and so this fact brings me to the purpose of this post...




I have discovered a new line of paint.  At least to me it is new but, according to their FB page, it has been around for awhile. Of all the painters that I read in Blogland, I haven't heard anything about it.

The line is called Shabby Paints and they have about 35 different colors.  It is a chalk paint, made in the USA, non-toxic, zero VOCs and eco friendly.  There is NO odor at all and it is very fast drying.  All of these properties apply to the full line.

It is very thick (think, almost the consistency of Campbell's soup, pouring out of the can).

When you pour a bit out of the bottle, what would normally drip and fill up the rim of a regular paint can, just rolls right back into the paint container.

The brushes, and other tools used, wash up with soap and water VERY quickly.  What little bit of paint you see on the bottles is exactly what mess I made and normally I'm a pretty messy painter.  The paint does not drip or run.  It goes on smoothly without having to water it down.





I did one coat on this chest.  Drying time is about 2 hours and you can do a second coat at that time.  Applying more than two coats in a 24-hour period is not recommended.




This is Vax.

This is used in place of clear wax.

Vax is not a wax.  It is a combination of high quality varnish and acrylic resin.  It will not harm painted pieces, metal, glass, plastic or furniture.






There is no buffing or ELBOW GREASE required.  You just dip the sponge applicator in water, squeeze it out thoroughly, add the Vax and apply over piece.  It dries fairly quickly and at this point you have a beautiful waxed sheen that will last forever, and you can be done if this is the look you want.





This is Re-Vax.

It comes in four different colors and you will use this to accentuate the distressing or to 'antique' a piece if you so desire.

It also has a fast drying time but should be left for 3-5 days to cure before setting anything on it.

The Re-Vax has a Vax built in coating so that you don't have to apply anything over the piece.

What you are left with is a rich, smooth finish over all and the best part...

No aching arms or tired muscles from applying wax or from buffing!






Check out Shabby Paints website for facts and how-to videos. 




Paint:  Marine Blue - 16 oz. bottle $17
Vax:  Sheer Vax - 4 oz. bottle $10
Re-Vax:  Hazlenut - 4 oz. bottle $13
Sponge: $3
Total to do this chest:  $43

I probably have enough product left to do about 2 1/2 more projects this same size, so the price point is very reasonable.


As I have said, this is only my opinion and, truthfully, I have never used milk paint, so I can't compare.
There are many lines of paint available and each person has their own preference.  I haven't written this post to try to change anyone's mind but just to show that there are options.
If anyone has used this line of paint before, I would love to hear their thoughts on it.

For me, this is the easiest and cleanest type of paint I have ever used, and it will be my paint of choice from now on.


...Judy...





This is not a good likeness of the finished piece as I can't put it in place yet and it is stuck in a dark corner and the photo is a little blurry.

Sharing today with:














22 comments:

  1. Wow! It turned out wonderfully - I have never heard of that brand of paint either, but it is definitely worth a look. (Btw, as the daughter of antique/junk dealers, back in the 70s/80s, you are right, you have a beautiful Eastlake piece!) Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful. I love the colors. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it looks pretty good to me, Judy! Sounds pretty easy. I don't paint much so it sounds like just what I need! So nice to have a visit from you during your busy summer! I hope you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great product. The piece gorgeous. Love the new choice of color!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this paint before, but your chest is beautiful. I will be checking out their website. Thanks so much for information as I have some pieces I want to paint.
    Looks terrific.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - what a difference on the little chest. Thanks for the info on the paint. I'm getting ready to redo my dining room chairs - once the rain stops. We had two or three fabulous weeks of sunshine but I didn't have my supplies ready - now that I'm ready - it rains for a week. This will pass and I'll get my chair done - then on to the kitchen cabinets - they are going to be the palest mint green when I'm done with them.

    I can't wait to see the whole project completed in your entry - you have such clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Judy! Oh, I love your cabinet and how it turned out! I've never heard of the paint either but you've sold me on it! I love the color you've chosen and I like that the Vax is more thank just wax.
    Hope you're doing well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty. I love the new look. I hope we'll get to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! I have never heard of this line but I will definitely check it out. I like the thought of no odor!
    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant job, Judy!!
    Love how the chest turned out, and painting it really adds not only a pop of color, but character too.
    Thanks for the product info. and for the link.
    It's also nice to know what the cost breakdown is.

    I have a few large pieces of furniture that I am considering painting, and this product line just might be a good option.

    Keep up the great work!!
    Love your projects... every thing turns out so beautifully.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chest looks great and thanks for the tip about this paint and the waxes. They are reasonably priced.

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks wonderful, I love the color your choose. This looks like an excellent product. I look forward to seeing the completed entry. What a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks great! thanks for sharing the product info... the "vax" has perked my interest. would love an easier finish product. i'm worn out with the waxing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your piece looks great! Have yet to hear of this paint, but I definitely will look into it. Thanks for sharing!

    Deb
    @Seeking Lavender Lane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty chest. The paint sounds good too.
    Sheila @ mykentuckyliving

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, your chest looks great! Love the color. I've never heard of that paint before but I am definitely going to check it out. Thanks for sharing.
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristi. If you like to paint furniture I think you would find this line easy to use..Happy Weekend..Judy

      Delete
  17. Judy,

    Visiting your blog after seeing your comment on mine. So glad that you found Shabby Paints! I loved the product so much that I became a retailer. Your pine chest turned out lovely! I love the distressing on it. Happy painting!

    Rachelle
    Belle Junque

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your drawers look like a new piece of shabby chic furniture Judy.
    It sounds a super paint to use.
    look forward to seeing it in your front entrance with a new look..
    Happy Sunday Val xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. will have to give the paint a try. I love how you colored it blue , love color. Happy Sunday - Bety

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've actually heard of Shabby Paints ( there's a lot of companies out there since Annie Sloan started hers ) but wow Judy - that is one gorgeous makeover !
    I LOVE dark blue furniture and with the distressing this is absolute perfection
    Beautiful job!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the new look. I've only done a couple of pieces of furniture and I'm not that good at it but I love yours.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy