Tuesday, February 24, 2015

"SPRINTER"...








According to The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language,
 the definition of sprinter is 
a person running a short race at top speed.





According to My Mind's Dictionary of the Uneventful Imagination,
 the definition of sprinter is 
the time of year when the calender says it is officially winter,
 but it is trying very hard to pass for spring...
therefore, the combination of
 Spring + Winter = Sprinter!





One of the iconic signs of spring is sheep in the meadows,
 with their offspring cavorting around them.


"White sheep, white sheep
on a blue hill,/ 
when the wind stops/
 you all stand still."

Christina Rossetti






Lambs are used in all aspects of 
describing springtime
 and new beginnings...






...as a symbol of newborn sweetness
 on a nursery dish...





...in a fairy tale setting 
of stuffed animals, nursery rhymes,
 tea parties, and children's story books...





...on vintage post cards portraying Easter messages...






...and following Mary to school.






These lambs have been a part of my life
 since I made them 
over forty years ago.

As a young wife and mother,
 I wanted to have a little extra spending money of my own
 to buy the things that I enjoyed 
and used to fix up our home...
so we invested in a kiln 
and I went to work.

That was right at the peak of the French country decorating style
 that was prevalent in the late 1970's.
  All white animals
 from pigs to chickens to cows and beyond 
were the decorating trend. 
 It was a popular take-off 
on French faience pottery. 
 I sold a lot of these animals,
 among other pieces, 
and they were the reason I could realize my independence,
 buy the things I wanted 
and be able to stay home
 while the kids were growing up.





For some reason
 these lambs are the only things that have stayed on
 and have become regular members
 of our family.





They have spent
 many a year outdoors,
 mainly as front porch decorations...






...to celebrate spring...





...during Memorial Day celebrations and on through Independence Day...





...as the leaves were changing...





...and the coming of Christmas.





They have spent a very limited amount of time 
in the house
 but over the forty year span, 
they have mainly graced 
the porches and the gardens
 of two houses.





They have not always been 
treated kindly over the years. 
 They have sat out in their share of rain and snow storms
 and, needless to say,
 a few ears and tails have been knocked off
 and glued back on.





All that has changed,
 however, 
in this time of "Sprinter". 
 On a trip to the market
 where all sorts of beautiful spring blooms are abundant 
and a new pom-pom maker has fashioned
a wreath
 as soft as lamb's wool...




...the well deserving sheep
 have come back into the Cottage
 to a place of warmth
 and celebration...





...while the world outside
 is still trying
 to make up it's mind...





...is it spring 
or winter
around here?...





...or will it continue 
to remain 
"Forever Sprinter"?





...Judy...





Sharing today with:












22 comments:

  1. Oh Judy! Those are so sweet and dear. That was wonderful that you could do something that you loved and stay home with your kids. I had a friend that had a kiln and she did dolls and taught doll classes for years-before the craze died out.

    I had a big collection of sheep in the 70's & 80's that is all gone now except for a couple of small pieces. I just loved lambs. I had a huge painting of sheep on the hills. It was stored and someone broke into the warehouse and stole it! Unbelievable, isn't it?

    I am sure your little lambs enjoy being back in the warmth of the fold again. Lucky babies-lucky you! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Judy, I love your definition of "Sprinter." :-D Very clever of you! This is such a sweet story; I love that you made all those ceramic animals and sold them so you could stay home with your children when they were little. I stayed home too (and pinched pennies) but I wasn't smart enough to make ceramics. My mom and sister did ceramics for many years, and I have lots of treasured items to prove it.

    I just love your sheep; I have a real soft spot for sheep and lambs -- such precious animals. Your new wreath is beautiful, and I'm really glad you've brought the sheep inside to live now. :) Your house is always so charming and cozy; it makes me want to step inside and stay for a visit and a cup of tea. :) Thanks for sharing your story with us; I always enjoy your posts!

    Big hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lambs are adorable, I have never seen any like them before. They look cute everywhere you have put them. You are so fortunate to live where you can occasionally see real sheep in a meadow, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some beautiful lambs, Judy! I can't believe you made them! What a treasure to still have them as family members after all these years! Kind of like kids, you created them and kept them :) Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are just adorable. No matter where you have them, they look great and just fit right in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those lambs ! They are darling! They look great anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Judy, what a darling post. I love your darling lambs. They look sweet in every vignette.I love the size. You are so talented and used your abilities to design from home. I can so relate.
    Thank you for sharing and your wonderful pics.
    Hugs, CM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this adorable post...the lambs are so precious.
    I have a whimsical print of a cow...pigs...and I've searched thru tons of Etsy shops to find a cute lamb print. Haven't found one that speaks to me yet.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your lambs, they are darling. All of your photos are so good. I used to love to paint statuary and still have many thing that I did. Would come home from work and paint - I loved pigs and enjoyed painting so much. It's hard to find statuary to paint anymore.
    I like the lambs on the table with your beautiful flower arrangement. Hopefully Spring is just around the corner.
    Have a great rest of the week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love those sweet lambs and that you have kept them all these years. Looking forward to spring here too as if is very much just winter right now. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy,
    OMG!!! I absolutely have fallen in love with those sweet lambs!! I LOVE your front porch too!!

    What a beautiful post filled with so much eye candy!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy these little lambs are the most darling things I have ever seen! I can't believe you made them 40 years ago. Glad you are having Sprinter because old man Winter is hanging on here! Love seeing all of your beautiful signs of spring. So happy you will be stopping by tonight to link up this sweet post to Share Your Style. See you tonight at the party!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the little lambs and how sweet that you made them and they have been with you so long. I love love love this time of Sprinter (if I might steal your fabulous word) - the trees are beginning to flower all over town and daffodils are blooming - and the skies are blue again today. Your photos and decorations are all so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a sheep love like you Judy and yours are so awesome. I love how they have been used in your home over the seasons and even when left out in the snow :) I loved the photos of the sheep in their pasture and behind the fence.
    We seem to be in the middle of a Sprinter as well.
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sprinter, I like that Judy! That's cute. What a sweet flock you shared with us. Loved all the vignettes but especially liked the one on the dresser, very cute!
    Sending hugs,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Judy,
    I love your lambies! Sheep always remind me of my much loved mom-in-law Ethel. She is gone now but every time I see them, it brings back such wonderful memories of her to me. We were kindred spirits and I miss her every day. I even have a Pinterest board named "Sheep for Ethel". Thanks for the lovely reminder today. Happy Weekend to you!
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  17. My dear Judy, "Sprinter" is perfect and it's certainly "Sprinter" here. Last week it was in the 50's with beautiful sunshine....today it's snowing :)

    Your little lambs are so cute! Thanks for sharing at ROI. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the vignette of lambs and the pom pom wreath. I like how you have the house lantern and basket of greenery at the base, very nice.
    It's still winter here in my neck of the woods, I do like snow and looks like my wish for it was heard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Sprinter...perfect term. I think we all need to petition for it to be made into the 5th season.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Judy,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and leave such kind words about my 57 shades of gray!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your little lambs are so sweet and have such a lovely history. Soon the lambs will be in the fields here - in fact, I expect they'll be out within the next week. I will have to be sure to have a camera with me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Judy,
    So many wonderful things here today..... of course the lambs, and that awesome wreath!! You always have such wonderful, and pretty posts, and this one is no exception!!
    I would adore having such darling lambs!! Ha! Maybe you can go back into the ceramics business....**smile**.
    So, did you buy that wreath, or make it. Pom-poms.... how perfect!!

    I like you term "sprinter" and around here, that's just what we are having.
    Spring is coming though... I just know it!
    Lambing season is around the corner.

    Have a happy day!

    ~Kerin

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy