Friday, February 7, 2014

A WONDERFUL VACATION...








While palm trees overlook the beautiful city of San Diego...







...the snowman was on guard at home, keeping the Cottage safe.

In actuality, there wasn't much work for him to do as California is in a bad drought situation.  We have had a little drizzle in the past couple of days but it is a far cry from what we need and what a lot of you are experiencing right now.






We had a wonderful vacation but I must say that it is good to be home.  A month is a long time to be away and yet, on the other hand, it is not long enough, if that even makes sense.  

We met a lot of people who are "camping" full time.  They have sold their homes and retired from their jobs, and are on the road whenever they want.  It does sound amazing when you first hear about it but in the final analysis, I don't think I would be a good candidate for that life style.  I love my Cottage too much.







The weather was accommodating...






...most of the time...






...and waking up to this view every morning was always spectacular.




Do you think "The Raven" was trying to tell us something?



It didn't start out very well, however. 

 We got a later start than we had hoped for, so we set up camp a couple of hours from home on the first night.

While the Captain was hooking up to the water supply, I started fixing a fast bite to eat.  I heard a funny noise and when I reached the bathroom, I was, literally, walking on water..Something had malfunctioned on the toilet and it was overflowing. 

(I want to make it perfectly clear...it was clean water!)

From then on, we had to be very careful when we flushed.  After reaching San Diego, we called a repairman and he installed a new toilet.






I thought I'd spare you the sight of a toilet, even though it is shiny and new.

Of course, we are no strangers to trouble when taking to the open road...






...two years ago, the hose at the gas station got stuck in the gas tank of our old motor home and the fire department had to be called out for that one...






...and, then, there was that time that Buddy had a close encounter with a skunk.






Anyway...as I was saying...we had a great vacation.






We did a lot of walking...






...we rode the trolley most days...






...did a fair amount of shopping...






...and a lot amount of shopping...







...and Buddy even did some shopping...






...spent most Saturday mornings at the Farmer's Market...






...made a few trips that took us under this sign...






...where the Captain spent some time back in 1958...






...and Buddy learned to use his new ramp to get up and down the stairs of the motor home. The Captain's back says thank you!






What more can I say...






...a gourmet chef at my disposal...






...incredible sunsets...






...a serenade outside my window every morning...








...and a handsome boy always waiting at the door.



What more could a girl want?

Oh, yeah, and don't forget my special Valentines gift...the new toilet!







There is much more to tell and will share next time but for now it is good to be back in touch again and hope that you all are enjoying a Happy New Year so far.


...Judy...






Starting off 2014 with these wonderful parties:























































































































18 comments:

  1. Judy it looks like a wonderful trip! I love San Diego and your photo of the Gas Lamp District brings back memories of my visit to that fabulous city. As good as it is to be home it is also good to see your first post of the year. May it be a good one for all of us!
    XO Barbara
    PS...the captain is quite a look...both in '58 and now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Judy! It's great to see your post tonight and hear of your travel adventures. It sounds like you had a nice break, except for the flooding toilet. I enjoyed seeing your pictures. Buddy is a sweet old dog and it's nice that he travels with you. Take care. Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post, judy! and how wonderful to spend time in san diego! it's a fav vacation spot for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to have you back Judy. Sounds like you had an adventurous time. How lovely to be serenaded every morning - hope it wasn't too early though! I agree it is lovely to go away but there's something very comforting about being back home. Look forward to hearing more about your trip. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Judy,
    So nice to see you again on my side bar.
    It sure looks like you had a wonderful holiday. So many things to show us and places you have visited.
    I am so so impressed with your motor home. I could live in that
    The first few days of coming home is always an adjustment.. Home is home, but your RV sure looks very homely too.
    happy weekend Judy
    val xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice vacation, San Diego has a lot to offer and it looks like you made every day a special one. I love Balboa Park and the museums. And Coronado is wonderful too. So happy that you had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see you back Judy. Looks like you had a wonderful trip with just a few little bumps in the road!! Glad you are home and safe and had a wonderful trip.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Judy, sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. I love San Diego - I lived there for about 2 years when my son was little and then we moved to Orange County.
    Your pictures are wonderful and looks like you, the Captain and Buddy had a grand time with very few problems.
    Have a great weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy,
    It looks as if you had a wonderful time! Poor buddy to have an "encounter". My mother in law is a manager of a RV Park here in central Florida. You are right I don't think I could live that way full time. Although it is fun for a little while.
    It was good to see you back in blog world.
    xoxo,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun you have traveling and enjoying beautiful cities like this! Love your photos and your blog. I saw your comment at Patty's pretty things and came by to visit. I live in Florida and love to travel around our beautiful state. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had a lovely time. I'm happy for you.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you had a wonderful holiday Judy, welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you had a wonderful time! I do love San Diego and it's beautiful weather. Do they have a monthly rate? Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. What a way to travel. Beautiful photos. Poor Buddy. Hopefully that will be his last skunk encounter. haha The pump hose getting stuck in the tank entrance had to be a first for those firemen! You've got some great memories. And what a handsome sailor you have. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Judy,
    I stumbled upon your blog when I was looking up pictures on Pinterest about Pellet Stoves. Your stove with brick mantel/hearth caught my eye right away. I decided to check out your blog and my goodness, I am hooked! You take such beautiful simple pictures that take me back to my childhood (I am 33 years of age, by the way). I am glad that you and your husband had a wonderful vacation but its always nice to come back “home”
    Looking forward to your blog.
    Arijana (Dover, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judy, I can relate to this post in a couple ways. Our son recently moved his family to Carlsbad, CA, north of San Diego. I'll be visiting them (and my little 9 month old grandson) soon! Also, I recently stayed with a friend in her 5 wheeler (I think that's what it's called) and was amazed at how deluxe it was. It was a neat experience for me! Glad you had a wonderful trip despite the little road blocks in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Judy, so glad you had fun in San Diego! You know that's where we live. Maybe next time we can meet up. We've lived in Bonita now for 22 years. It looks like you covered a lot of different areas. You had left a comment about Summers Past Farm. No, I'm not selling inside their barn, only at the Craft Fairs. It's always great to hear from you and hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day!!
    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a wonderful trip! Great to have you at "Oh, the PLACES I've been!"

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy