Tuesday, July 21, 2020

A HALLMARK MOMENT...










It is 2020 and
 this summer is shaping up 
to be a very hot one.

 I have been looking for a way 
to beat the heat and 
I think I might have found one. 
 Let us step into my time machine and 
take a well deserved trip 
back to the past.

How could we 
have ever known
 at the end of 2019, 
  that within a relatively
 short amount of time,
 we would be up to our 
necks in the thick of things.






Now, 
if you were one of my fairies,
 I could strap you to the back
 of this beautiful butterfly and
 transport you to a land far, far away
 where you could find 
some relief from the world around you.





How could we have ever known 
that the biggest problems we might face
 would be which mode of transportation 
we should take
 to transport us back to a time 
when all was well with the world.

If you lived in my world, 
you would know that 
a butterfly is much more efficient
 in getting you where you want to go 
than an orange dragonfly 
could ever be.


So,
 now that we have found our time machine,
 let me show you
 what the world looked like before 
it all started to come
 crashing down.

It is said that Christmas 
only comes once a year
 but, for now,
 I will disagree with that nonsense.

 Because Christmas was 
really the last part of 
a sensible world and
 because we can take us "virtually" 
any place we want to go, 
let's make Christmas 
come again 
in July.

I have been reading 
a few blogs where they are doing just that,
 and as I sit here 
in my hot little computer closet,
 I have decided to 
cool us off
 with a post about 
twinkling lights and 
the quiet of softly falling snow 
from
 December, 2018.

I hope you enjoy it.



A CONTINUATION OF CHRISTMAS
DECEMBER, 2018




You might want to put on your cap or your kerchief and settle down - there is a lot to see here.



We left Christmas last week 
to the Victorians and,
 now this week, 
we are back in real time 
and as we move from one room, and one era, 
to the next,
 it is funny how time
 seems to have no meaning at Christmas.
  There is no line that is crossed, 
no door is closed or another opened, 
it is just a continuation of
 the magic of Christmas 
and the spirit of the season,
each and everyone
of us celebrate.





Our celebration, today,
 starts with a bouquet of pretty flowers,
 accompanied by two small santas
 on the game table, 
in the sitting room,
 with the Christmas tree 
as backup.





The sitting room 
is probably the most used room
 in the Cottage.
  As its name implies, 
a lot of sitting goes on in here.
  It is where we watch TV, 
read the newspapers,
 eat more than a few meals 
and just,
 generally, relax.




It is why our tree
 is positioned where it is.  
It can still be seen from 
the parlor's bay window 
but also we can enjoy it 
while sitting 
in the sitting room.




This year 
the sitting room has the honor of 
hosting most of the santas 
we have collected and made
 over the years.













This year, 
we have a special guest
 joining us...




Remember when 
Gertie, our Halloween Witch, 
came to live at the Cottage? 
 She told us she had 
a twin brother 
who was also in 
the business of holiday magic 
and what to our wondering eyes did appear? 
Himself, in his one-horse open sleigh!






Can't you see the resemblance?




My dad 
made my sister and me 
sleighs as a surprise one Christmas.
My mom painstakingly sewed 
all the little red cushions,
 covering little boxes for each one.
  I made the horse many years ago. 
 They just seemed to go together.

Santa came from Cold Creek Primitives,
 as did Gertie.  
April is a wonderful, imaginative artist.  You can reach her through Etsy.







I ordered this cute rocking horse from Antique Farmhouse
 and I bought the tree last year 
and added the red and green braid
 for just a little color.
 It snugs nicely next to the pine cones,
 just like it was made for it. 
I thought the little horse 
(cute though he is)
 could benefit from a 
painted saddle and halter. Maybe?





Moving into the dining room 
there is a bright patriotic tree
 to greet you 
and a shelf full of crocks 
with celluloid vintage reindeer
 mixed in.






If you look up 
you will see a 
little yellow rocking horse and Goatzie 
all draped in
 Christmas finery.




We uncovered our old sled
and set it on the table 
with another ceramic rocking horse
 that I made years ago.




Have you ever seen a red snowman? 
 As you know from years past, 
I don't usually decorate with
 snowmen at Christmas.
  My collection awaits for January
 when they come out in force 
to celebrate Old Man Winter. 
 This year, however, 
I had some red velvet 
and while still being obsessed
 with velvet pumpkins, 
I couldn't help myself. 
 No, 
I know that pumpkins 
are not Christmas material usually 
but when you make two
 in the color of Christmas 
and stack them with 
a sweet little face on top - 
A red snowman is born!




I have a feeling 
I will be expecting a shipment 
of white velvet soon!




I added some faux greenery 
to the bittersweet left over from autumn 
along with some vintage gold snowflakes, 
and our dining room light
 joins in the festivities.




A small amount of sunlight, 
through the kitchen window, 
on a cold winter's morn...




...and holly and ribbons
 to brighten up the 
kitchen jars and cabinets.






The kitchen table is set 
with everyday white plates 
on a bed of faux greenery from Pier One, 
green dishes are Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe
 from Goodwill, 
and the holly plates and bowl are from Home Goods.




Cheerful candy striped napkins 
and cutlery, also from Home Goods, 
are caught up with a star napkin ring
 from a thrift find.




A pitcher of seeded eucalyptus 
from Trader Joe's
 and a spray of Heavenly Bamboo berries
 from the garden, 
along with the "gingerbread" house 
I painted last year 
and Season's Greetings glasses
 from a thrift store, 
make a festive setting 
for breakfast on 
Christmas morning.








I certainly enjoyed your visit
 to our Christmas Cottage. 
 Where has the time gone? 
 It is getting late and
 I know you all still have so much to do.
  Instead of dropping bread crumbs, 
I have lit the candles 
to show you the way out. 
 Please come back 
after the first of the new year and
...until then...




...I will be taking 
a couple of weeks off,
 sitting right here 
by the fire.




















You may have noticed
 that there is a lot of "joy"
 in the Cottage
 this year and...




...some of the 
same old tricks
 are still at the top
 of the list...





...and not a creature 
was stirring...




...except
 the usual suspects!




As you go out
 through the entry...




...take a peek
 into the guest room...




...the room is 
always available 
for a little get-away.




"From home to home
And heart to heart
From one place to another
The warmth and joy of Christmas
Brings us closer
To each other."

Emily Matthews


While you sit around your tree 
with the lamps and
 the candles lit...




...Take Joy!


After Santa 
has come down the chimney 
and the home fires 
are burning once again 
and the frost is 
sparkling on the roof...




...Take Joy!





And as you are going out the door,
 look back on 2018 and

...Take Joy!

 in the wonderful, happy, healthy and peaceful
 New Year to come.



MERRY CHRISTMAS 
AND
HAPPY NEW YEAR


...Judy...






For those of you 
who have been with me for awhile, 
I hope you enjoyed 
seeing this again, and
 for ones who are just starting out 
on this journey with us, 
please come back and 
look forward to next Christmas,
 may it be a better place.


...Judy...



Huge thanks 
to the Hallmark channel 
for making 
Christmas in July 
a reality.






As we venture back 
into summer and 
the reality of July 2020,
stay smart, 
stay well and 
wear your mask.

Now,
 I would like to ask 
you all a question.  
In reading this post 
did you get the opinion that
 I was looking for
 some cheap call girls? 
 Today, 
almost two years after the fact,
 I have gotten a comment
 from someone asking me that question.

 Where does this crap come from? 
 Do you get these 
kinds of comments sometimes?
  
Just curious..



Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda

and

Keep In Touch at Let's Add Sprinkles






























30 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post. I think Buttercupland needs to visit Christmas in July, too. I was going back through photos yesterday and so enjoyed going through Christmas 2019 pictures. Would love to spend some time in your sweet sitting room. Take care and keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Buttercup. You are invited any time. I would love to see some of your Christmas posts, so please do..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Judy, This post was like a big hug. Which we all could use one. I love your home ...you know those lace curtains are one of my favorite things.It won't be that much longer before Christmas. I pray there's a vaccine before then. God help us all is my prayer. Cheap call girls..WTH... some people aren't happy unless they are doing the devils work. Blessings to you and the Captain, stay strong and safe. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susie. I'm so glad you felt hugged. WTH is right. I am just fed up with all the scammers and creeps that think they can take advantage of us. I get these type of comments a lot of the time and I just delete them but it sure is disheartening..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. It's always fun to go back in time and remember a beautiful time of year. Christmas in July is a great idea as we are all shut in during some of the hottest weather on record for all of us. I always love your pretty Christmas decor. It was fun to scroll through all your pics today. Happy New Week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. A little change goes a long way these days. Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post, a joyous stroll through your sweetly decorated home. It was a nice break from life at the moment. We could all use some Christmas cheer about now, especially whoever left that comment. Jesus is the reason for the season, and we need Him not just at Christmas, but all year long. "For in him we live and move and have our being". Acts 17:28 Thank you dear Judy for sharing Christmas in July ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lorraine. Can you believe how devious and sick some people are? I get those type of comments some times and I just delete, but still it is maddening to me..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debby. I'm glad you like it..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Judy, I sure loved taking a stroll down memory lane! Nice to see things "snowy" and winter looking in this 100 degree weather we have today! I absolutely LOVE the red velvet snowman! Why can't there be red snowmen at Christmas time? I think so! Your table settings are always so wonderful too! I must save them (pin them?) for future reference if I happen to have a Christmas gathering. I haven't had one for years, since I've moved further away from my son..... would love to though and yours gives me so many ideas. I need to be on the lookout for festive Christmas dishes and plates - just in case. I also (sort of) collect wooden rocking horses. Makes sense to me, since I've owned horses since I was 13 (not anymore though sadly).... and makes me want more. I would love to try making some with my scroll saw that I've never even used! So thank you for taking me away from reality, if not just for a little while! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Marilyn. I am always ready and willing to take a break from reality. I'll take you for a ride on my butterfly some day! I love rocking horses too and have had some great ones over the years. Wish I still did. I just pick up dishes at garage sales but mostly Tuesday Mornings and Home Goods when I get the chance. (Probably won't be too many chances for awhile.) I only usually ever buy 2 of each but there have been times when I wish I had more of one pattern, but they are fun to mix and match too..I miss my scroll saw, used to make a lot of things over the years..Stay well my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, after 40 years in the craft/art/retail industry...when we always began Christmas preps in June, decorating 15 foot theme trees in July..and I was puking in red and green glitter by November. I really can't even consider a Christmas post until after Thanksgiving now, even looking at one. I sped to the bottom to type my comment. Please, give me swimming pools, flowers and boiling sunshine. LOL.Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I couldn't help you today, Sandi, but I don't have any swimming pools, only a few flowers but lots of boiling sunshine, so you can have that if you want it..Stay well..P.S. Hope you saw it at Christmas time, if not, you missed a good one..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Loved revisiting your Christmas past. Just lovely pictures. A nice respite for a hot Summer day. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, Janice. That's exactly what I hoped to achieve..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy,

    Amen, sister! You are so right about Christmas being the last semblance of "normal."

    Thank you for the thoughtful post - and for the reminders- and for those amazing dragonfly and butterfly pics.

    Happy Christmas, God bless. Stay safe, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michele. I know we are all hoping that this Christmas will be "normal" but I think it might be doubtful. We will make the best of it that we can. Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. What a nice way to help us cool off. So many great pictures! I am looking forward to the fall in so many ways and hope that it bring big changes, one of which is the end of the pandemic. Thank you for the holiday cheer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Adrienne. Wouldn't that be the nicest Christmas gift of all? Hope it cooled you off a little..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Martyna. I'm glad you liked them..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. I get comments like that periodically. Spam bots. I moderate so they never get posted.

    Thank you so much for taking us back to that beautiful Christmas season. I do love Christmas in your home. It is the quintessential "I'll be home for Christmas" house with so much love and character and very beautiful things. And yes, it was indeed the last time things felt really normal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I don't know what they think they are accomplishing, but I will try that. I'm glad you could visit today and get cooled off a little. Thanks for your kind words and wouldn't it be a wonderful gift if it was all settled by next Christmas?..I won't hold my breath as I have lots of doubts..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well that was a fun trip...especially when it's so hot outside and the news is so dark. Christmas is a much better place to hide out! Be safe! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. Well said! I would love to hide out in Christmas all year long. Stay well my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  17. LOL too funny! So you're looking for call girls now. I won't even mention some of the spam comments I get or just saw on someone else's blog. I'm
    sure she'll flip out when she sees it. I just love the way you tell stories. Gertie and her twin brother are very handsome. My husband has walked into my sewing room twice this week and comments on the Christmas movies showing in July. LOL Oh well. That photo of the orange dragonfly was cool by the way. take care. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carla. Yeah, I'm watching so many Christmas movies on Hallmark now, I hardly have anytime to look for call girls!! Dumb **#( I'm glad you enjoy my stories, I do have fun thinking of them..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  18. Pretty home deco and butterfly, awesome photos❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kinga. I appreciate it..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy