Tuesday, December 1, 2020

SOMETHING BORROWED...

 









Every October, 
for some unknown reason, 
I automatically start humming and singing Christmas carols. 
 This is a phenomenon 
that has occurred for a number of years
 and is still going strong.
 
 A couple of weeks ago I read Michele's
 lovely post (here)  
about us all needing 
a little Christmas in our lives, 
so you might imagine that 
"We Need A Little Christmas" is
 at the forefront of 
my playlist, in my head, right now
 and I thought it fitting to borrow
 the sentiment for my post today.







Not only is the tune catchy,
  but it is so true...

"Haul out the holly;
Put up the tree before my spirit falls again.
Fill up the stockings, 
I may be rushing things, but deck the halls again now
For we need a little Christmas
Right this very minute,
Candles in the window,
Carols at the spinet.
Yes, we need a little Christmas
Right this very minute.
We need a little Christmas now."


 We Need a Little Christmas

Written by Jerry Herman for the Broadway musical Mame in 1966


...truer today than
 maybe ever before.







As I move along 
about the business of decorating,
 borrowing time from fixing the Thanksgiving meal and 
keeping in mind 
that the clock is ticking and soon
 Santa Claus will be coming 
to town...








...I am showing you pieces of Christmas 
that I have accomplished so far. 
 In time, you will be getting the full picture
 of the Olde Homestead Christmas 
but for now 
I am drifting throughout the Cottage, 
adding the magic here and there, 
wherever I think it needs it.







I hope you all had 
a blessed Thanksgiving, 
celebrating it in the best way possible 
that you could this year.

  I made some butternut squash soup...







...but we borrowed 
Raley's expertise 
for the main course...






...and I also made a dessert recipe 
of Cherry Crumble from the wonderful  Kitty's Kozy Kitchen 
that I borrowed from her long ago.
As you can see, 
when I said we would be eating our meal among chaos, 
I wasn't lying.
  
I have never been able to accomplish
 a good photograph of food 
so you will just have to take my word 
that it was very good and
 looked so pretty.







My two angels 
that are on display always, 
donned their little lace choir collars
 in an idea that was borrowed straight from a sign I saw on 
Antique Warehouse which stated simply
 "Hear the Angels Voices".







So many little touches of Christmas,

 borrowed from my memories of childhood,

 especially from my Mom. 

 Three years ago 

 I wrote a piece about her 

and all the Christmases passed 

that she provided for our family.  

Just in case you might have missed it 

the first time around, 

you can find it here.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


If you went back to read 

this Christmas Past post, 

you might be wondering

 how Bo is doing.  

He is under the care of 

Tami and Tim's vet these last few years

 and with the right meds

 he is remaining seizure free

 and as beautiful

 as ever:




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






 In other words,

 borrowed from a recent post, 

what better time

 to "play house"

 than at Christmas?





Barely even started 
the decorating
 and already there is 
a present 
under the tree!

(with one tiny ornament already knocked off)
Bless his little heart!






Christmas is returning to the Cottage 
little by little and 
the beautifully applied red stained glass
 is borrowing the exact sentiments
 from the holly berries 
seen through 
the lace curtains.







As I move on to more decorating, 
I'll leave you with a quote
 I borrowed from a very wise and
 most admired lady
 in one of last year's posts: 







Stay Smart
Stay well
and
Wear Your Mask.

Spread the word
not the virus!





Here is a laugh 
that I borrowed from
 my sister:

Calm Down!
Walmart is just asking you
 to wear a mask. 
 You can still wear 
your pajamas and 
leave your bras and teeth 
at home.


Have a great week! 

...Judy...





Sharing today with:

20 comments:

  1. A lovely post Judy, thank you.

    Happy December Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jan. I am so late getting around to everyone. Hope you are staying well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, Judy, I’m still laughing about the thought that you borrowed from your sister!!
    Your home always, always looks so cozy and comforting. That’s exactly what we need right now to give us peace and joy. I appreciate you giving me a shout out by trying the cherry crumble recipe. You’re so kind. May you gave a wonderful first week of December. ❤️🎄❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kitty. It was so good but my photo didn't look as pretty as it really was. I hope that I can convey some peace and joy with my decorating. It is what I love to do so I appreciate your kind words so much. Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. What a fun santa in his car. So true about Walmart. What a hoot that was to read. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. I have had that little Santa and car for years and it always makes me smile when I bring him out. I thought that very fitting for Walmart and the problem with those who don't believe in masks!..Stay well, xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Another lovely holiday post, love seeing your furry ones too 🙂 my vet retired this year, I need a good trusted vet myself, went to an auburn vet today, its wild being in your car while your pet is inside without you.

    I admire your decorating, I removed fall decor yesterday, I can't imagine doing it all over again, its going to take a week, plus cleaning, I'm feeling more like scrooge with all the work! its worth it when done, but oy, I rather be in the garden with this wonderful weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words. I know what you mean about the beginning of the decorating process especially when you just got through putting away all that came before. I start out feeling overwhelmed but as the days go on I am beginning to enjoy it all. Just hope I can get done before the actual holiday..I know what you mean about our babies having to go to the doctor all on their own. Not fair! Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. I love seeing your bits of Christmas. I am so far behind. Couldn't help it but oh, how frustrating. Your home will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I am far behind too and I was frustrated at the beginning but now I am just taking my time and enjoying it all. I do hope, however, that I can finish before the holiday is over. Oh well, with it all being so different, I guess if I didn't finish it wouldn't be much of a change..Hope you are feeling better..Stay well otherwise..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. There is simply nothing as nice as Christmas at your cottage, I always get so much pleasure out of seeing what you come up with each year.
    Thank you...and by the way you Thanksgiving dinner looks delicious and is very nicely pictured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Adrienne. I appreciate all your kind words and I am giving it a heroic try this year, but for some reason, after the initial shock of all the overwhelming boxes full, I am taking my time and enjoying it. Everything is very different this year so that is about all I can do. The light has been so poor in the house these last few days that it is hard to get a very good picture..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Another sweet post and love seeing your Christmas treasures especially the furry one under the tree. Buddy has been laying under our tree too I think he likes the softness of the tree skirt or maybe the twinkle of the lights or both. Happy decorating Judy. Enjoy singing those Christmas carols. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. Maybe the little sweets feel warm under the lights, but Kai thinks that is his special place. Robin has yet to find it. I am slowly getting things done but, for some reason, am not feeling hurried this year. I guess everything is changing at least for awhile longer..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. hmmmm, trying to muddle through, like you Christmas is eeking it's way into our home. Trying to figure out if baking is a wise idea...and no big family/friend cookie day---where they take them all with them. I may experiment with some of my grandmother's Danish cookies, that are written up in small batches...who knows. Love the Walmart --whine...LOL. Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. Christmas is coming along slow but sure here. I most likely won't get to any form of baking except my little Swiss Cottage cake that I try to do each year. It is planned for a decoration so hope I can get to it. Cookies sound so wonderful though..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness, what a delightful post, and the funny quote from your sister brought a smile to my face. Your Thanksgiving dinner makes me hungry. It's only 4:40 a.m. so not quite time for breakfast. I've not started decorating just yet but hope to next week. Had a toothache all day Monday, and a tooth pulled on Tuesday. Yesterday I did a little outside work getting ready for the guys to come finish a fencing project started in the beginning of March, then Covid happened. The guys will be here Friday. I want to make some oatmeal cookies this afternoon to give them. This morning I have my weekly zoom visit and Bible study with my sis-in-law.

    Have a wonderful Christmas month. I love your decorating so far and look forward to seeing more. Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lorraine. Oatmeal cookies sound delicious and I'm sure the workers will enjoy that you thought of them. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and thank you for your kind words. I am taking the decorating one day at a time and am hoping I will finish before the holiday..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Judy,
    I need to apologize for not commenting sooner... I did visit your posts but was so wrapped up in decorating and the Christmas Holiday Season itself that I just did not get a chance to comment....LOVED all of your Christmas decorations and I will forever be thrilled to "play" house! Loved that post!! And that is exactly what I have always wanted to do and now get to do so...Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post is describe the poem. It based on reality. That happens on our real life.
    Click here https://samedaygaragedoorservicesga.com/ for Garage Door Repair Services. Same Day Garage Door provide you experienced person.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy