Tuesday, June 23, 2020

A SPECIAL FATHER'S DAY? (I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON WHO YOU TALK TO)...












When we celebrate
 a special occasion around here, 
we spare no expenses and 
this year the 
Captain's Father's Day celebration 
was no exception. 
 Since family gatherings
 are out of the question now,
 the telephone wires were buzzing 
with well wishes...
we did see Tim 
(Tami had to work) 
on Saturday when he delivered our groceries
 and their gift to Dad of 
a subscription to his
 favorite car magazine.






On Sunday morning
 a breakfast of 
bagels and cream cheese was served
 with a side of little flowers,
 freshly picked from the garden,
with love.





His wish
 was to go get a cup of coffee,
 take it to the fairgrounds, and 
sit by the lake and 
watch the duck families there. 
 We drove through town on the way, 
that is another favorite of his. 
 Doesn't take much 
to please my guy!





So we donned our masks and 
guess where the first stop was?  
The Captain is the only person I know
 that can drink 
numerous cups of coffee per day, 
regardless of what it tastes like,
 just as long as it is coffee. 
 His only requirement is
 that it be hot!




The day, itself, was beautiful.
  About 80 degrees
 with a breeze making it
 very comfortable. 
 I thought it was too warm 
for hot coffee, 
so talked him into an iced caramel latte.
 His first one ever and,
 surprise, 
he really did like it. 
 So then
 we were on to 
the intended destination.





All the gates 
leading into the fairgrounds 
were closed and locked.
  Even the duck families 
must have been sheltering in place.
  All victims of the Corona virus. 

 Our county fair 
is always up and running in August, 
but this year 
it has been cancelled 
as well as the 
July 4th celebrations.
  I feel badly 
for the 4H kids, 
raising their animals to show, 
but I am not unhappy 
that this approach has been taken. 

 When the virus first started,
 we had around 32 diagnosed cases
 in our county and one death.
  Now the cases are 
up to 83 (7 more than Friday's count) 
but with no additional deaths
 that I am aware of.   
 Governor Newsom
 has declared that
 masks are to be worn
 at all times 
in public places,
 but the majority that I see 
don't know that or don't care. 
 It is a hard world for me 
to figure out
 right now.





Not ones to give up easily,
 we took a short ride 
through Nevada City and 
were quite taken with this 
little plot of garden. 
 We would like to do something similar 
in ours 
in place of some
 of the lawn.





Even though 
this has nothing to do 
with Father's Day, 
this is one of the
 new zinnias we planted.
 The plants are not as tall
 as last year and 
even though they were marked 
assorted colors, 
so far they are 
all orange.


So long story short,
 the Captain didn't have 
that great of a Father's Day 
in my opinion,
 but he says otherwise. 
 He is easy to please 
so I guess I have to 
agree with him. 
 We capped off the night
 with Queen + Adam Lambert on Netflix. 
 Since he got to sleep
 through some of it 
that was the perfect ending.
  BTW,
 if you get Netflix,
 that is a really great show.



...Judy...


Have a really great week.


Stay smart, well and wear your masks.






Sharing today with:


and

18 comments:

  1. Aw, Judy, what a sweet post. I can't really understand why I can make 24 masks for dolls to wear, that people can't put on a mask. I find it hard to be patriotic and yet I love and devour everything about our Constitution.... I have to believe we will reach a level os sanity, but I fear so many useless deaths before that happens. My Np this morning said, it is simply hit and miss on how devastating this disease is to those even the least bit compromised, and yet now it is hitting young people. Time will tell, and we must enjoy all those little things in life that we had left by the wayside. And, coffee and watching ducks are up at the top of that list! (My next post)...lol! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. I have been tempted to make masks for the two dogs! It seems that money is more important than most lives, I guess. I find it very hard to know what is right as I realize people have to feed their families, but to leave your house without some kind of face covering is just plain stupid!! I am going to PT for my back, and as much as I remind everyone how important it is to wear masks, I can't stand the thing especially as it is getting warmer, but would I go without? Not on your life or mine..Stay well my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Judy, Your Captain is a sweetheart. Glad you out and about a bit . Ted and I just go for a drive to out of the house and not near people. I agree with your Governor...wear masks , everyone ,when out of your homes. Nice to see part of your town. Blessings to you and the Captain. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Susie. I'm glad you get out of the house too, if only just for a drive. We all need something else to do. There was a notice in our newspaper today that the mayor of Nevada City, which is right next to us, so close that we might as well be one town, has said that wearing masks is not been made mandatory so no one will get arrested if they don't wear one. Someone heard a man yelling at a supermarket checker that they didn't have to wear a mask as the mayor said so. Such Stupidity in this world..Stay well my friend and keep enjoying rides in the country..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a rather nice, low key Father's Day. Just getting out and going for a drive with some GREEN and WATER sounds nice! We don't have either of those around here! no ponds, or ducks, or green grass, or countryside with animals. I didn't know you live so close to Nevada City. Looks like a nice little town. Oh.. and I LOVE Adam Lambert.. and have watches quite a few of the videos with him performing with Queen, and also the documentary of them and why/how they chose him. He is so PERFECT for the group and show. I would absolutely go somewhere to see him LIVE! There is another video on You Tube that you might like, with Adam Lambert singing Believe at a benefit to honor Cher.... it's her song and he sings it so beautifully that it makes her cry. It's just awesome! Hope your weather isn't as hot there as it is here today. We're at 99 degrees! Have a good week! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. It was a very low key Father's Day, but he enjoyed it. That is what counts. We are about 2 miles from Nevada City. I just love that little town, someday I will post about some of the old houses there, they have a lot. I watched Adam Lambert on American Idol all those years ago and have always just loved him. I didn't know about the YouTube so will look it up. It is hot here today. At 6;30 it is 87 outside and 83 in the house. Too hot!..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Glad the Captain had a great Father's Day and enjoy his Starbucks Iced Coffee. Sorry he could not sit and watch the ducks. Glad you could take a drive and get out of the house on such a beautiful day. Hopefully next Father's Day will be a more free type of day.
    Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. He seemed to enjoy the day so that is what counts. Hope Terry had a good one. Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Judy,
    Glad to hear you got out and took a drive.... We celebrated Father's Day like we always do with the kids over. We ordered the pizza that Joe requested so he had a good day...Masks were mandated here for a long time now but with reopening, some people wear them and some do not
    Stay safe, healthy and happy!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit, Deb. I'm glad Joe had a good day. Things around here are opening up but still see so many without masks. They aren't mandated but I wish they were. I can not understand why people don't seem to understand that if they want everything to open up and get back to normal, the only way is to curb the virus, by social distancing and wearing masks. It just seems so simple to me.??? Stay well my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Our July 4th celebrations have all been cancelled here too. Sorry to hear the lake was closed, however it sounded like a nice drive out. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Janice. It was a good drive but a very short one. I am sad for the 4th of July. It is always my most favorite holiday living in a small town. Fireworks and the parade, always special. Hopefully, next year, but I am glad it was cancelled this year. It needed to be..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say if the captain says otherwise, then you happily take that. After being cooped up, I bet any break in the action would be a welcome holiday. A drive is always good. We didn't have kids for Father's Day but Greg came last night and gave Rick a great shirt that is of this century, which is a refreshing change of pace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanie, thanks so much. I guess I have to take him at his word and it was good to get out. I'm glad Rick got a new shirt. Jerry bought himself a new pair of pants and they weren't 501 Levis. About time he graduated from high school!!..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flowers are amazing!

    We are staying mostly at home and we wear our masks even when we walk on the beach. But no one else on the beach is wearing a mask.
    I hate to think how much worse it can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit, Carol. I am a little disappointed that these flowers don't seem like they will be as tall as last year, but they are bright and pretty. Each day I see more and more "ignorance" for lack of a better word. Things are not getting better. I don't know what it will take to make it known that this is no joke..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy