Tuesday, February 2, 2021

HAT TRICKS...

 






This last week has been a challenge. 
 A challenge to get out of bed,
 a challenge to get dressed,
 a challenge to carry on
 living as one should. 
 That challenge has not always withstood 
the tests that have been presented, 
so a number of hats have been donned 
to make it possible to figure out
 which one fits...





...and the winner is

 that of a

 TV critic!






Let me take you back
 to how the week started.
  The skies were gray,
 although a little piece of blue escaped
 and showed itself from time to time.
  We had snow, 
which was a beautiful sight 
until it turned to rain and more gray skies.
  In the end, however,
 all the color was 
sucked from the atmosphere 
and we are left with...






...only starry, twinkly lights within, 

which we hold onto with a 

mountain of strength.






We came upon this hat trick
 quite by accident.  
Normally, each morning starts 
with a bit of 
TV news and coffee,
 before the day begins.
.  One morning, however, 
we turned to see 
if the Magnolia Network 
on Discovery Plus had started 
and we were, 
from then on,
 immersed in a full day's worth
 of TV watching 
which actually turned into a
 week's worth of TV watching 
from morning until time for bed. 
 The new Magnolia Kitchen with Joanna Gaines
 is a fun hour filled with good recipes,
 filmed on a beautiful new set 
in an old grist mill, 
and chock full of
 the humor, family 
and enjoyable entertainment 
that we have come to expect from
 Chip and Joanna Gaines. 
 The "new" Fixer Upper
 shows every Friday. 
 It is still the same, wonderful show 
that it always was 
with just a little tweak
 to make it all new and interesting. 
 There are more shows
 offered on the network. 
 Each one telling great stories 
about everyday people and their endeavors
 to make the best out of life
 for themselves and those around them.





Moving on to Netflix:
 We just finished Schitt's Creek.
  For awhile now,
 I have passed over this show.  
I don't know why, I just thought
 I wouldn't care for it
 but let me tell you, 
had that impression held up, 
I would have missed out on 
one of life's little treasures. 
 This was six season's of pure gold.  
The characters are all so special,
 the story line always
 keeps you wanting more, 
and I fell in love with each and every character and situation.  
A beautifully written story
 done with class and humor.
  I am sad it is over.




We are now watching
 "Last Tango in Halifax". 
 Two wonderfully, charming people, 
meet after 60 years apart
 and the story of the merging 
of their two families. 
 It is all done with laughter, tears, secrets and everything in between.
  Well acted and written and 
so, so entertaining.





Another good movie 
was "Penguin Bloom". 
 A young boy finds an injured bird
 and brings it to a family 
who is going through a horrible tragedy.
 It is a heartwarming story 
with the need of about six Kleenex.




All of the shows I have mentioned 
are only on Netflix and Discovery Plus. 
 You do have to pay extra for these 
but for about $13 a month, 
it is all well worth the expense. 
 There are many more shows and movies 
along with documentaries offered
and it makes staying in 
so much more enjoyable.





One last thing 
that has nothing to do with watching movies. 
 We still are not able 
to get our Covid-19 immunizations.
  I have signed up for all that is available 
and my doc 's office says
 they don't have any and don't know if they will get any at all. 
 I am hearing from neighbors,
 and friends and family
in different parts of California
 that they are getting theirs. 
 It is becoming very frustrating.
  Are any of you having this problem?





My little wolf in sheep's clothing says:

Stay Well

Stay Home  

And

Wear Your Masks


Until next week, 
I hope I have something better to write about.
I am running out of hats!



...Judy...







"Teddy said it was a hat,
So I put it on.
Now, Dad is saying
"Where's the hecks
the Toilet plunger gone?"

Shel Silverstein


Sharing today at:


and


25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Martyna. I had a bit of fun with them..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Love all your hats. So pretty. We finished Last Tango in Halifax and was sad to see it end. Shitt's Creek was soooooo good glad you dove in and watched it. We are watching so many brit TV shows like Last Tango and love them all. Keeps being stuck home interesting.
    Happy New Week Judy. Have a good one. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. We are on the last season of Last Tango. I am loving it so much. I am so glad we watched Schitt's Creek. It was the best I've seen in awhile. I love British TV and their humor. You have got to do something with all this time on our hands..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Well today the struggle was real. I haven't gotten dressed but I've been reading and answering emails for the book club I'm in and for the quilt retreat I'm organizing. TV is on but I haven't watched it. It's just for noise. LOL I recorded some of Shitts Creek but never got into it. Maybe one day I'll binge watch from beginning to the end. We'll see. Right now watching anything on Discovery Plus is out. Dang it. Hopefully you'll get some sunny days soon. As far as Covid vaccines... appointments are always filled by the time I sign up but maybe my saving Grace will be Baylor Scott & White. I got an email saying they would be contacting me when vaccines are available since I do meet the necessary criteria for being at risk. I've heard people are signing up every where and hope that they'll get an appointment at one of them. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Carla. You don't know what you are missing if you don't watch Schitt's Creek. The best I have seen in awhile. On our county's website they said that over 75 could get shots, but not a one to be had. I just heard on the news that they are releasing to some drug chains this next week, so maybe we will get lucky. I will be checking them all..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days I work in my pjs and other days I get dressed. Depends on if I have a zoom call. LOL I have a few hats if you want to borrow them. :-) Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. I wish I could say "some days". Anyway all the days are becoming kind of a blur but today, so I am told!, will be the day we start moving again, and so the hat tricks are over for now..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Schitt's Creek makes me smile big! I'm eager for "The Dig," too and noticed the Golden Globes were showing Netflix a lot of love today.

    I've had my first shot. Michigan seems relatively well organized with it but the supplies are short and so for many it's still hard to get an appointment. I think the 70+ though, are through (at least if they wanted one or could figure out the computer forms to sign up.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I just loved Schitt's Creek so much and sorry it is done. You really should watch Last Tango in Halifax, I know you would love it. I'm so glad you got your shot. We are listed as being able to get 75+ but can't find anyplace where they are giving them. I have signed up at Walgreens, our hospital and another privately owned drug store that did have them but are all out now. Newspaper says we will get more next week so I keep going on websites each day but nothing yet. Stay tuned and stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Hi Judy, I felt the same way about Schitt's Creek, so maybe I should give it a try. The hats are so cute. I am glad we are getting some rain. I have connected with Jain through emails. She sounds like we have a lot in common. Enjoy your week Judy.xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. You should give it a try. I don't know what I thought I saw the first time around but when I started it this time, I never wanted it to end..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. I loved your TV reviews! I can sit and binge watch a good series all day long! I try to only watch no more than 3 at a time, as I like to make them last! I'm like you... I see Schitt's Creek and just pass it over, thinking I don't want to watch something about a bunch of rich people! I may have to take your word and try watching it as I'm running out of good ones. I watched first two seasons of Tango in Halifax and then lost our TV cable so never did finish it. Sure did love it! Did you watch all the Doc Martin episodes? I love them - he is such a kick. I get Hallmark Movies Now for $5.99 a month and love their series. I watched all of Cedar Cove, am finishing up Heartland (LOVE that one! is filmed in Canada), and When Calls the Heart, also Canadian. SO SO many good shows.. oh also Virgin River which just finished it's second season and love that one too. One my hubby and I watched and loved was Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton, which we thought we would not like at all, but tried it and got hooked. First two seasons great, but 3rd season not as good. Anyway... LOVE all your hats. All I wear for a hat now is my sleeping cap and handyman hat.. and yes.. some days is so hard to get going. I would stay in my PJ's all day but feel so guilty if I do. One of these days I'm going to, just because I can! xoxo Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. I'm glad you liked the reviews and you should give SC a try. The characters are so funny and are kind of a Beverly Hill Billies style only more updated. I am so sorry it is over. If you pass over SC then you must have Netflix?? You could still watch Last Tango because that is on Netflix and they have a new season 4. I love Hallmark and watched all of Cedar Cove too and I see Heartland and Virgin River are on Netflix also, so I will give them a go. The only hat I really do put on these days is a stocking cap to hide my horrible hair when I have to go someplace. My hair has gotten so long that I just wear it in a pony tail around the house. Can you imagine an 80 something with a pony tail? Disgusting...I want to be like I used to be!! Oh, well, maybe someday soon..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. I related to this post so much, Judy. There's so much snow here, not that we could go anywhere anyway, but now we can't even take a drive and it's cold. We've been binging old favorites on Netflix. I still have to look into Discovery plus. Right now we have Apple music, Spotify, Hulu, HBO Max, Nexflix, Amazon Prime Video and Disney plus. I'm not sure I can handle another subscription channel!! Ha!! Be well my friend and keep the suggestions coming. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. At least we don't have snow and today is a better day. We have sunshine, although still cold. We have all those extra channels too, they came when we ordered Netflix, on Prime we get a few freebies as I have Amazon Prime but the majority we would have to pay extra. All the rest we would have to pay extra so we don't get them. I just got the Discovery because of the Gaines but there are really a lot of good shows on it too. It sure can get pricey. We have Dish for our basic cable and that is way too expensive, especially we don't even look at half the channels that come with our package..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Hi Judy, I love all of your hats! xx It seems there is not much else to do these days but binge watch whatever makes us happy and keeps us sane. I love when you find something that you love to watch, but when it is over, you walk around wondering what you are going to do next! haha! I don't have Discovery + or Netflix and I know that I am missing out on so much, but we hardly watch the channels we already have - creatures of habit....I did watch the lead-up to Joanna Gaine's new show on HGTV and got to see her amazing new kitchen for her series and how it was built inside the old mill and I can't stand how jealous I am. I am now addicted to 'Home Town' on HGTV - my new favorite show. It seems that winter is just dragging on and on and I keep looking at the calendar to see when daylight savings begins. It's so gray and gloomy here. Lots of rain and maybe snow this weekend. I guess it makes you appreciate spring all the more when it comes. We keep trying to sign up for an appt. for the vaccine but every single time the appt.'s are gone before we can even complete the application! We even got up early today to try and be the first ones...sigh...We are on about six different lists (and counting) for alerts...Hope with the Johnson and Johnson vaccines things will open up sooner. Hang in there, love the photos, especially your sweet little doggy. Sending hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen. We are still checking lists but nothing so far. Vaccine supposed to come to big druggist store this next week. We shall see. I love Home Town too and watch it all the time. There has only been one new Fixer Upper so far (2nd one will be tonight). We are having nice sunshine today and for the last few, still bitterly cold though..Good luck on getting the shots. I think there are a lot of us who need it..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Love the hats! We have been watching re runs of Corner Gas which is so funny. Good clean show which is rare. Another show that is in re run is Lie to Me with Tim Roth about a deception expert who reads facial recognitions. Other than that we mostly are on the road to where ever, I get bored sitting at home. love to be out looking for rocks with the kids and using our metal detector much more now. Back into doing some collage and stained glass. I am not into HGTV anymore, got to be the same old same old. Used to love it. Happy Week end to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Betsy. I have never heard of Corner Gas, but it sounds good. What channel is it on.? We are not on the road to anyplace it seems like any more. I do admit that as far as we go is to In-N-Out Burger, because we can order from and eat in the car. I have started cleaning out my former craft room which has long become a storage room. The only thing I want to do craft wise now is the Paint by Numbers. I have one new one sitting here that I haven't started on yet so hopefully will get started on it soon. I still love HGTV but don't watch it as often as I did..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Judy,
    Love all your hats!! You are lucky that you both like to watch the same shows...Joe and I don't have many shows that both of us like and a lot of it has to do with our difference in political opinions. Since 2016, Joe will not watch certain networks because he feels that they are biased in their political views so we had to stop watching a lot of shows that we watched together since he will not watch those stations anymore.actually, we spend very little time together because there is very little that we have in common anymore....I happily keep myself busy and just don't pay attention to him...LOL!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. I guess I am lucky that there aren't too many things that we disagree on. I am a political junkie and I don't think I could live with anybody who didn't think the way I do. At least we can yell at the TV together!!..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Love this! Thank you. We are having a hatter party next month and these are perfect! real word about travel cases hat

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy