Tuesday, September 21, 2021

THE AUTUMN COTTAGE...

 






"Autumn mornings
Sunshine and crisp air,
Birds and calmness,
Year's end and
Day's beginnings."

Terri Guillemets


Tomorrow is the actual start of fall.  

Throughout the next few weeks, 

I would like to invite you all to visualize

 a grand tour through the Cottage, decked out in full autumn dress. 

 Starting with the entry and moving into the parlor, 

we will try to show you how 

we plan to enjoy the season 

and hope you feel welcomed.





Autumn:  

All of the warmth without the heat, 

and it has never been more 

happily anticipated than this year.






While it is well known that 

Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, 

in my opinion,

 Autumn is the most beautiful.  

The colors, the scents, the all around feelings 

after a long hot summer 

are what elevates autumn

 on the seasonal ladder.





2020 was a very hard year,

 that was what we all heard and knew. 

 We couldn't help but have hope 

that the following year would be better. 

 As it turns out though, 

2021 is becoming worse 

and for me

 it is as if there will be no end in sight

 unless drastic measures are taken.  

I have come to the conclusion

 that I could spend 

a good part of a very long time 

confined to my sweet Cottage... 




...and I say this,

 not as a complaint, but as a fact.

 I am very fortunate to have 

a home that I love 

and, like squirrels foraging for the winter, 

I am digging in to find that space 

of contentment, comfort and warmth 

that will sustain me 

for as long as is needed.





In the entry 

autumn colors come front and center. 

 A faux garland of leaves twines around the mirror, 

while a branch of the real thing takes center stage on the Eastlake dresser.  

I found this branch

 growing in the front garden 

almost totally hidden by the camellia bush. 

 Maybe that little squirrel you saw earlier

 planted the tiny acorn

 that he was carrying.  

Sometime in the years to come, 

I would not be surprised to see

 the Cottage situated in the midst of 

giant oaks or walnut trees! 




Also included in the vignette, 

wooden apples made
 by my mom many years ago, 
 a pear which I fashioned out of a lightbulb, 
 an old pumpkin
 that has seen many seasons 
with the glued parts to prove it,  
 and a lacy edged plate, 
painted with seasonal fruit, 
that belonged to my grandmother.






Many years ago, 
while vacationing here in the Gold Country, 
with no thoughts 
that we would someday live here,
 we bought this pretty lamp 
in an antique shop in the little town of
 Rough and Ready.  
We had a modern house at home
 that we were trying to bring 
a bit of Victorian style to. 



 This lamp was on display there 
for quite some time 
but when we eventually did move and found our real Victorian Cottage, 
it was shoved into the back of a cupboard because the color wasn't just right. 
 Today, I have brought it back to its roots 
and it becomes a 
very pretty piece of fall decor. 
 At this time of year
 the color is the best thing about it 
and how it lends to the overall feel 
of what Autumn really is.




The parlor mantel still holds 
the set of books 
whose color and texture feel just right 
for this time of year. 
 Along beside the books,
 I have added some shine and glamour
 in the form of two glass pumpkins
 and a large shiny vase
 filled with the colors 
of the season.










"Autumn dresses up in gold,
The richest season of the soul."

Angie Weiland-Crosby


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




An update on Kai:

Kai started out on an insulin dose of 2
 and after two weeks time
 he is still off but vet says
 he is doing really well. 
She upped his dosage to 3
 and will check him again
 in another two weeks. 
I can tell he is feeling much better.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





I hope you enjoyed the start of 

the Autumn Cottage 

and that you are enjoying 

beautiful fall weather 

wherever you are.





 May you be tucked in comfortably 

and feel in awe of the season.


Have a wonderful week.


...Judy...






Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda 



  


20 comments:

  1. Hi Judy! Oh, I'm glad to hear little Kai is doing better! Your home looks so lovely all dressed up for fall. You do have the perfect Victorian touch in decorating.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shelia. Kai is doing much better. They will have to adjust his meds a few more times no doubt, but he sure does act better and thanks for your kind words. Believe it or not, I am not doing as much decorating this year as ever before..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Hello sweet friend. First off glad Kai is doing so much better. You are such a great fur baby mom to undertake diabetes with him. Lots of work and challenges. So happy he is getting adjusted and feeling better. Love all your fall decor so pretty. I am a summer girl but I have to say I am ready for fall. This long hot and humid unusual summer did me in. I think we all had high hopes and wishes that 2021 would be better and we would be on a better road of recovery for this virus. NOPE!! Sad that we have not gotten better and in so many ways worse. I think we have a long road of being shut ins for quite some time. Scary that we that got vaccinated are now getting the new strain and children. Just makes me so sad. Have a great rest of the week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. I agree, those of us who did what was expected are now paying the price for the one's that didn't. I feel so badly for all the little kids that are in the hospitals. Hopefully, the new vaccines for the young ages will be successful in keeping them safe. Surely, a parent would agree with that!! Kai is doing really well but I am not sure what to expect down the road. Hopefully he will continue how he is feeling now because he seems so much better..Happy Tuesday, xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. It's all beautiful as always.. love the golden glows of oranges, reds and yellows. It is a wonderful place to hunker down and just be home.. our homes are our safe haven... and yours is just wonderful! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. I can't imagine how it would feel to be homeless at any time but especially in these. I appreciate always all of your kind comments..Happy Fall..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad Kai is improving. That's a relief. I love your autumn home. The photos are just beautiful and the palette so lovely, warm and rich. I'm with you on 2021. I don't see a huge change. I'm a little bolder now that I'm boosted but still uber-cautious and spending a lot of time home-alone! (Literally -- I'm at the lake; Rick can't be up for a bit yet). It's a rainy week and I'm hunkered down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. Kai is doing very well and I hope that continues. Thanks for your kind words and I hope you are enjoying your alone time at the lake. It must be so beautiful this time of year..Happy Fall..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Your home is beautiful and that lamp is gorgeous! I love your phrase "may you be tucked in comfortably" as that is how I feel with candles glowing and the lovely autumn colors. Maybe we can change our mind-set to prefer being home, nesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ellen. I appreciate your kind words and staying home is really comforting for me. Sometimes a person has to go outside but it is always so wonderful to return home..Happy Autumn..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Hi, Judy---we are alike in that we shine in the golden light of autumn...my favorite time of year. Your home is full of dark honey warmth and streaks of sunshine...just made me smile!! Lovely post! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. I always appreciate your kind words to me. Autumn has to be my most favorite time of year until Christmas..Happy Autumn Days, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Your storybook cottage is so homey for fall! Love the rose hip bouquet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jacqueline. That is a sweet description and I appreciate it. The rose hips were prettier than the roses this year..Happy Fall Days..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Judy,
    I love all the pretty Fall touches you have added especially that beautiful lamp!! So pretty...I agree with you in that I think things are going to get a lot worse before they get better and that we need to nestle in for the log haul...You and I are alike in that we love our homes and enjoy Staying home...And I do love the way the house looks all decked out for Fall....Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. I am trying not to do too much in the way of decorating but you know how that goes! Anyway, what else is there to do?..Hope you are enjoying fall so far..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. So glad Kai is doing better. Your Autumn cottage is so warm and inviting.. I need to find a nice Autumn wreath myself. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. I have been trying to contain myself and do less this year. Will I make it, probably not!! We will probably have another update on Kai next week..Hope you are enjoying autumn..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Your cottage is always inviting and warm no matter what season.
    I know what you mean about 2021 not looking up but rather bleak.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carla. We can always hope for better times but maybe next year..Happy Fall..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy