Tuesday, September 28, 2021

THE AUTUMN SITTING ROOM

 





Autumn is actually here and what a treat. 

 Most of us have been anxious for this day

 and now let us just enjoy it. 

 Already the Christmas magazines

 are hitting the news stands

and while I will admit 

that I have already pulled some out of the many I have hoarded over the years 

and have begun dreaming, 

in the clear light of day 

I am paying close attention to fall.



This week the spot light 

is on the sitting room.

  I did mention to someone that I am not putting as much out this year

 and even though it appears 

that I might be telling a little white lie,

 I'm really not.  
There are still full boxes of decorations 
that I didn't even open.
  Maybe I will make good 
on the promise to myself
 of giving some up this year
 but, then again, 
that might continue to be
 a hopeless task.



The same old tried and true

 oversized flower arrangement 

is stuck into a different vessel.  

The addition of sprigs 

of little velvet pumpkins

 along with amber glassware 

make it autumn worthy.



It appears that the farm truck 

just backed up and dumped 

a few velvet pumpkins. 

 There is no rhyme or reason 

as to the styling, 

just displaying their elegance 

without taking themselves too seriously.



The shelf over the sofa is 

basically the same as last year.  

A new painted quilt square

 blends in with the paint-by-number art

 and a tiny velvet pumpkin 

managed to escape the chaos

 over on the sideboard.



My great-grandmother's pieced quilt top

 adorns the back of the sofa

 and the pillows all blend into

 the colors of the season 

while an arrangement of

 hydrangeas and ivy,

 freshly picked 

from the ending summer garden, 

sits on the wagon.




Jacenda is now working 
at the VA hospital 
and she is impressed and liking it so far. 
She will be spending time 
in different departments,
 all associated with the hospital, 
learning the job in each one 
and then moving onto the next. 
 After a certain amount of time
 she will be able to pick her preference
 and stay in that position. 
She and Jake are doing well 
and have already started
 to add to their little family...




...meet Bean,
 our new little great-grand dogger.
 She is a Boston Terrier 
and is nine weeks old. 
 They will be traveling 
to Oregon this weekend 
to pick her up. 
 We are anxious to meet her.
She looks very sweet 
and I love her already.




When we first took up residence
 in the Cottage
 over 30 years ago, 
most of the people that we met
 knew and remembered 
Miss Elizabeth Garland. 
 She was an elementary school teacher and the first lady of the Cottage. 
 She was soft spoken and practical, 
and she dwelled here for many years
 with a loving heart. 
 I have felt her presence many times 
but for the first time, the other evening,
 I was privileged to see her.



I was in the sitting room, 

looking into the parlor,

 and there her reflection appeared in a framed painting on the wall. 

 I stared at it for quite awhile, 

until I could be certain. 

 I was amazed at how clear she looked,

 her gown befitting someone dressed 

for a special occasion.





Now, someone more practical than I 

might argue it was just the reflection of a lamp from across the room, 

but I know what I saw 

and now it is clear to me 

that it is true that voices from the past

 do linger on in an old Cottage. 

 There are always secrets to be heard 

and memories to share.




I hope you will all
 enjoy the beautiful fall days 
to come.


...Judy...





Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda

27 comments:

  1. Hi Judy,
    Of course your fall is always pretty. Love the fall with your sweet angels. Your little great grand dog is too adorable. They will love having a Boston terrier. Very smart dogs. My daughter has had two. Our little Charlie that just passed last year at 16 years old and now they have a little 3 year old Maggie Boston. They are the best little dogs. Enjoy your new gread grand dog when you get to meet her. Have a great new week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. I don't know much about the breed so am glad to hear what you are saying. I did read something that said the males are better than the females in certain ways, so am glad to hear about Maggie. Hope you are enjoying fall so far..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. I noticed your lovely amber glass, Judy. I just picked up my first pieces and boy do they scream fall! I'll be on the hunt for more now for sure!! Enjoy all your treasures...lots or little. It all looks so festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. I have a few other amber pieces packed away somewhere. I just grabbed what was close as I am trying to do less! hahaha..Hope you are enjoying autumn and Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Hi Judy! Oh, everything looks so beautiful. You may not have put out all of your Fall things but you've hit the mark beautifully! Little Bean is adorable. We've had to little Bostons and they are just the sweetest little things - a bit hyper but wonderful! Hope all is going well with you and your family.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shelia. I love autumn and am so glad it is here. The weather is responding beautifully also. I had a sneaking suspicion that they might be a little hyper, but Jake and Jacenda are young so they will be able to keep up..Happy Fall..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Your Autumn decor is quite magical, however I am swooning over that painted quilt block! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. Those little quilt blocks are so easy to do. I just find a pattern I like and the colors and using a ruler and a paint brush they are quick and easy. You should do up a few and see if they would sell in your shope, I bet they would..Happy Fall..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Very pretty autumn decor Judy. Love those pumpkins, especially the ones with feathers. Little Bean is adorable. Quite eerie about you seeing the reflection of your cottage's previous owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. I love the velvet pumpkins. I could continue to make them but how many do I need?? The sighting wasn't so much eerie as surprising. I was watching TV and just looked over in the parlor and there she was. Of course, I figured out that it was the reflection of the lamp in the picture, but from my vantage point it looked just like a lady in a Victorian dress. I had to keep staring at it even though I knew it wasn't a ghost, BUT when you are a romantic (or an idiot) the possibilities are always there..Happy Fall..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Your cottage is always beautiful but especially in the fall. It is well loved and I can imagine it would be a safe and loving space for spirits. I am usually in a rush to start the holidays but this year I am hanging on to every day of Autumn and savoring it. Maybe that is a good lesson from the pandemic. take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ellen. I love fall and all the colors associated with it. I like to think this is a happy place for any and everything. I do enjoy the fairies that come around and now, my beautiful Victorian lady. I'm not really crazy, but I did have to look at it for awhile to sort it out in my mind, it just looked so realistic..Happy Autumn..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Hi Judy,
    The cottage looks lovely all decked out in fall colors. The new puppy is so adorable. I bet you can't wait to give her some lovin'. I do believe Miss Garland was checking out the new decor and I think she approves. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynda. I can't wait to meet the little girl and see how the kids get acquainted with her. Well, I think Miss Lizzie (that's what we call her) approves of all that we do in the Cottage, or I'm sure we would have been run off by now!..Happy Fall..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. OH, lovely Judy. Love the colors and warmth in your home. Yes, I agree, some stuff has to go---it seems crazy that I still have all my decor from my shop which closed in 2008. Really just don't need it all anymore, plus it is exhausting to keep hauling it up and down the stairs. Hugs, and yes, let some go---, we can do it together! Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. I am happy to be putting it all together for another year. Believe it or not, I just sat down today and emptied out one whole cubbie of stuff and threw it out. It wasn't even anything good enough to donate so why was I keeping it??..Happy Fall..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. I love the secrets and memories you shared. And I also love your fall home. I fear mine will get little this fall till it's nearly over! Between being north and then being away for two more long weekends in October, it's getting short shrift. There's a load on my plate to deal with in the next month or two and decorating seems like it won't happen, or not much. Your Bean is adorable -- did you do that portrait? It's very good, whomever did! What a wonderful autumn haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I am trying to not do so much decorating but as I go along, I always find there is more than I intended! Sometimes other things are important so you do what you can. No, I had nothing to do with that portrait, it was absolutely a fluke of nature or whatever. The picture is of a bunch of flowers in an oval frame by day, by night when the lamps are turned on, it turns into the portrait of Miss Lizzie Garland but, in reality it is just the reflection of the lamp across the room, that is why it was so unbelievable. I move that lamp all the time to vacuum around it and just the certain way I was sitting on the sofa in the other room, and it all lined up to look like a Victorian lady. I couldn't believe it after all the years I have never seen it..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Beautiful as ever...Gorgeous vignettes!Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Maristella. I hope you are enjoying some wonderful autumn days and thanks so much for your visit..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. I did enjoy seeing your photographs.
    Your Autumn décor looks very nice, I do enjoy this time of year.

    Happy October Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jan. I'm glad you enjoy the photos. I do enjoy taking them. This is a beautiful time of the year. There are many times in the years that are beautiful, but I think autumn is one of the best.. Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Hi Judy, old houses hold so much charm and hidden secrets! I grew up on an old farm and we were lucky enough to know three generations of occupants, all from the same family. I didn't appreciate the historical connections until I was older. I am loving all the warmth in your fall decor, definitely my favorite color palette. I do hear you on the excess decor! I think I've reached the perfect amount of fall decor after parting with tons of it before our move in August. I have been fighting the urge to replace my supply, lol! I think I only added a few new pumpkins this year. I've been enjoying just rearranging my antiques and other decor, mixed with true fall items, to give that cozy vibe. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the fleeting autumn days! Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. I bet you are having so much fun decorating your new home. Please send us lots of pics when you can. Christmas will be so special and I wouldn't be able to wait if it were me. I probably would skip fall, even though I love it, and go straight to Christmas!..We are having beautiful fall weather around here, hope you are too..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Judy,
    Everything looks lovely and so inviting! Love that you saw Miss Elizabeth!! I do believe in these type of things and I am sure that she is pleased with what you have done with the cottage....Autumn is my favorite Season but right now, we are still having Summer weather right now...High;s in the high 70's and still having that terrible humidity!! They are calling for above average temps. all next week too!! I really want some nice Fall weather!!Thanks so much for stopping by !!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. It is always fun to spend time with Miss Lizzie. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a good heart to heart with her. Our nights are starting to turn colder so, hopefully, we will get some color in the falling leaves..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. Visiting here is always so down home cozy and I always leave with a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy