Tuesday, January 18, 2022

A WINTER COTTAGE...

 







"Winter is the warmest season

Oh, you say you want a reason?

Is it warm when snow piles high and wide?

It is if you are bundled up inside

When it's storming, when it's raining

I stay indoors without complaining

Other people like to ski

Or sled down a hill, but not me

While you're bundling up in your jacket

I'm tearing open a hot cocoa packet

I don't mind summer, I'll make that clear

But winter's my favorite time of the year."


Author Unknown






Being inside a warm and cozy cottage 

does make winter almost bearable, 

so I have tried very hard 

to leave the best of Christmas 

and add some winter elements 

that make it a comfortable place to be.





The best of Christmas that I left for winter are greens and garlands. 

 Our community is surrounded by cedars and pines 

and they don't go away during winter 

so they look very much at home, during and after Christmas, as decorations.

  The cedar garland looks pretty surrounding the little rustic cabin 

and the old house painting and the twigs that were picked from the winter garden 

on the shelf above the sofa 

in the sitting room.






As you might have noticed,

 I have a lot of blue in the Cottage 

and that tends to set the mood for a cooler space.  

In summer it helps but in winter it needs 

something extra to make it feel warm...






 ...the texture of the pillows, the old quilt piece over the back of the sofa, 

the warm wood of the wagon 

and the higher pile of the carpet 

accomplishes that. 

 When lamps and candles 

are lit at nightfall, 

this Cottage comes alive.

 





The game table

 holds most of what was a Christmas scene

 on top of the old white cupboard 

in the kitchen...







...Mama Sheep 

lies next to a large bird house made out of barn wood,

 surrounded by greens and pinecones 

and a wooly yarn wreath.







Besides the one pillow on the sofa, 

I only brought one other snowman into the melee. 

 He is a tall, stately gentleman made out of cotton batting

 and wearing a top hat and a thick wooly scarf.  

He stands next to a little tree with snow tipped branches

 that is left over from Christmas.  

With a candle and a garland of cedar 

and another small wooly wreath on the mirror,

 he is ready to greet all who enter.





 


I didn't bring a whole lot of Christmas back into the dining room. 

 The red color of the walls is warm but dark 

so I thought the familiar arrangement with its bright flowers 

would add a cheery spot of color...







...and who better to bring it along 

would be Goatzie who looks perfectly perfect still 

on the table after Christmas.







The other Christmas left over

 is a little tree that sparkles 

from the light of the window 

in the dining room.







The one spot of winter that makes me happy to look at  
is the parlor mantel. 
 I left the Christmas garland up 
 with the addition of a 
string of wooly "snowballs", 
entwined through soft greens and winter berries...








 ...wouldn't it be a perfect touch 

for a winter wedding?






All of us here hope you enjoyed seeing the winter Cottage. 

 Our days lately are sunny and cold 

so being snuggled up here is just right. 

 I hope you are warm and cozy 

wherever you are.



...Judy...






Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda




28 comments:

  1. Judy, everything looks so pretty! I really love looking at your lovely home home and how you style it and share it with us!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shelia. I sometimes think that what I show over and over is just the same old thing, but I am so glad you like seeing it and thank you for your kind words always..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. A great warm and cozy feeling in your home! So love all of the greens mixed it which is what I do after Christmas too. Love that goat too! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. I just ordered a candle that smells like cedar and balsam. Whoa, it is like Christmas all over again..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Everything does look so cozy warm and inviting. I could curl up on that sweet couch and take a winter's nap. Your sweet country cottage is so beautiful. Happy New Week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. That is my trouble. I seem to curl up and take too many naps..I thought I was just being lazy but now I say that is my alone time to stop and smell the roses. haha..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Well, you have transitioned nicely from Christmas to winter, I would say. Everything looks warm and inviting and lovely. I really do love that parlor mantle.
    I wish I enjoyed the cold weather more--nope---not for me.
    Happy Tuesday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diana. I don't like the cold and I don't like the heat, so I wish I could just stay in between somewhere. That would be a great trick wouldn't it..Happy Thursday my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Very Pretty Judy! I found myself short on indoor pine and greens. Seems I have allowed my d-in-laws, free reign in the craft room and the pretty much dented my stash. That's fine, so I have to use some ivy here and there, plus I have all the plants in the house. Totally loving your snow ball garland. I don't have a mantel, but that is just so cute! Hugs, and stay warm, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. With your green thumb you can have Christmas all year long..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Hi Judy, your home looks like the perfect cozy winter retreat. I just enjoy seeing all of your beautiful decor pieces so much - from goatsie to the cute green cabin and everything in between. Hope your week is going well! Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. Just keeping busy trying to stay warm. Brrrr..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Judy,
    Your cottage looks so charming and inviting in it's Winter attire....The greenery looks so lovely!! we will be in Winter here until at least the end of March so I am decorated too and settling in...Thanks so much for visiting for your sweet comment!!and Stay safe , healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. I think I am set for awhile. Just lighting a few candles..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Your home does look cozy and warm. Love goats ice, your sheep, etc. your parlor mangel is lovely. A nice transition from Christmas to winter. Thanks Judy for sharing at Love Your Creativity. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda, and I am always happy to share. Trying to keep warm in this cold winter weather..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. It's beautiful, Judy, all of it. I love the cedar -- my favorite green. And that floral arrangement on the dining table is pretty stunning! Very cozy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I love the cedar too. Mine was all faux this year but the real lasts so much longer than any other green. I keep thinking I should retire that flower arrangement, but I always find another place to put it..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. All the right touches. Very pretty. Always love to see what you do. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carla. I just keep plugging along while I can..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Hi Judy.. the way you "re" deorate things.. I always see it with new eyes and it all looks new and different! The blues looks so pretty and I can imagine at night how magical it is. I love the tall snowman beside the tree.... just darling. And your mantel with the snowballs garlands is so wintery and decorativce... no words really to describe all of the beauty everywhere in your cottage! You put so much love into each thing you place, and it shows. No snow here outside, and I'm glad of that, but pretty chilly out.. just right for wintertime.. and just right for some popcorn and a cup of hot cocoa at night. My Christmas tree is still up. I hardly put any ornaments on it this year, just a few.. and the green tree with the lights is so appealing to me, that I'm keeping it up at my whim! Hugs to you... Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. It is very cold and the snow has stayed on the lawn still. That is unusual with all the sunny days we have been having. Popcorn and chocolate sounds really good. I did break down and make a chocolate cake the other day. My blood tests came back good so thought I could treat us just a little bit. I love the idea of just the lights on the tree, some people do just that at Christmas and I always think it looks so pretty but I always have to mess it up with stuff! A while back you wrote me about putting a little stove in the library for warmth and I just though about that today and remembered that I didn't address it back to you. It is funny because Jerry just told me that when I clean up the room we might do just that! I have been talking about that room for two years and haven't gotten to it yet, just keep the door closed, that's why it is so cold in there. Jake and Jacenda gave me a water color kit for Christmas and I can only do it in there because I can't start messing up the rest of the house!.Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Judy your home is a dream. I love all of your "friends" and now of course, I want one of each and that pom pom garland is fantastic! My home looks so empty right now. After seeing yours, I think I may need to go shopping for a few animals of my own!! Stay warm in your cozy abode!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. Somehow I missed your kind comment, so better late than never! I am trying my best to get this cleaning done of the library so I don't feel I am giving much else the attention it deserves but, hopefully, I will get back on track..Happy February..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. I do not like this time of year, but I am delighted with your winter decorations. A beautiful and very original table! It makes an impression! You have created a beautiful, extremely cozy house :)Best wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I appreciate your kind words. I really don't like this time of year either. A little goes a long ways!..Happy February..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. Everything looks so warm and cozy, Judy! I just love all your charming vignettes! The painting of the cabin with the little house on the shelf - oh, it just speaks to me. The painting reminds me of my parent's house. All your pretty greens, garland and little friends are wonderful. The little old woman with the rag balls is so funny. She has a real personality. Love the poem and totally agree. I had to go shopping today and it was difficult to drag myself out and couldn't wait to get back home. It's been cold and foggy here. We are in isolation again due to the Covid surge. We're vaxxed and boosted but just don't want to risk getting sick. I was so nervous in the store today - some not wearing masks anymore. Sigh. Stay cozy in your beautiful home. Sending hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen. I apologize for getting back to you so late. I don't know where the time goes these days. You would think that not going out would make the time pass more slowly. I know exactly how you feel as I feel the same. Now, California is lifting the mask mandates, although I don't think it will make much difference as, even though most business had posted, no one really paid much attention. It makes me sick and so mad. We are both vaxxed and boosted too, but know that we can still get sick from all the selfish people out there. Stay well and Happy February..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy