Tuesday, June 28, 2022

JUST BREATHE...

 






"Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day

 is the rest we take between two deep breaths".

Ettys Hillesum


When I found the above quote, 

I knew it was indicitive 

of how my life is going.  

It gave substance to how

 I am enjoying life right now 

and took away the very slight feeling 

that maybe I should be doing more. 

 I am rearranging what used to be 

and adding in what is important to me

 in the here and now. 

 If the laundry doesn't get done on Monday,

 or the grocery shopping doesn't get done on Tuesday, 

we just dig a little deeper

 in the sock drawer

 and make a peanut butter sandwich 

for that night's dinner. 

 Those significant items 

will get done in due time,

 but when they don't, 

we just take deep breaths

 and enjoy something else in their place.







That doesn't mean that every thing

 is at a stand still, however.  

Ideas come and go,

 some more important than others. 

 The special ones get done a little sooner, 

and if not so special, 

maybe we take a few more

 deep breaths in between times.  

The important part is that we 

don't let remorse come into the picture. 

 This is a fairly new concept for us 

so we don't have much to base it on, 

but hopefully, it will work out

 and we will be able to stick to it. 

 So far, it seems to be working. 

With my back issues it seems to be 

more of a necessity than a luxury.





In one of these moments in time,

 I had an idea that would

 rearrange the kitchen.  

When memories are sometimes short

 we tend to forget and therefore we repeat the same mishaps over again.  

The Cottage is the only home 

that we have ever had

 that I really couldn't rearrange the furniture in each room 

when the feeling would strike. 

 Because there is no center hall, 

there is an abundance of 

doorways and windows in each room

 that only allow for a 

single method of placement. 

 I, like my mother before me,

 am a big fan of rearranging, 

and it took me quite awhile

 to get used to this way of living. 

 For some reason though, 

the kitchen seems to be exempt from it all. 

 I have tried numerous ways

 of fitting our existing pieces 

in different configurations but, 

I don't know who I am trying to kid,

 because the end results are

 always the same as the beginning! 

 We thought we could use

 the large Ikea cupboard as an island

 but it was just too big.  

This is a heavy piece and not easy to move, 

but the Captain is always willing to forgive 

as he almost always has to 

move it back to its original position.





All this nonsense could have been avoided

 if I had just tried my new idea

 in the first place. 

 This little table we have used in the kitchen for some time. 

 It is smaller scale and fits in nicely...





...enter the same little wooden table

 after painting its legs white. 

 It now has a more farmhouse appeal 

and the size is perfect,

 even with the larger white chairs.





Now, I can understand the true meaning

 of taking a rest in between 

a couple of deep breaths! 

 It makes life so much easier.





I have been practicing free hand drawings 

and think it is evolving a little bit. 

 I see improvement is needed

 on the bottom petal, 

but now I can see it so, hopefully, 

I won't make that mistake again.




A still life practice piece.






Thanks to the Captain and the fairies, 

the Secret Garden is coming along.  

Although it will take a really long time to come back to what it once was, if ever, 

I am happier with it now than I thought I would ever be again. 

 This coming weekend we will be making a trip to the nursery for some bright color 

and a piece of lath which, hopefully, I will be showing you soon.

  Watch this space.





I ordered Bernideen's book 

that she just had published 

and it is really a treat,

 especially for my storm damaged eyes! 

 She did such a nice job 

and her garden is simply beautiful. 

If you haven't stopped by 

her beautiful blog,

 please do.

 You are in for a big treat.







Well, I am off to take 

some other deep breaths 

so will visit again soon. 

 Hope all is well with everyone. 


 It is hard to comprehend 

what is happening 

in our country right now.

 It is an unbelievable and despicable time.

  I lived through the times 

before Roe v Wade 

and it wasn't good to say the least. 

 I don't know what these zealots

 have in mind for the future

 but going back is not the answer. 

   



Happy Tuesday

 and remember to breathe 

and make something sweet.



...Judy...





Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda

25 comments:

  1. Hi Judy: How kind of you to share my photo magazine publication. I am agreeing with you about slowing down. We have just had Covid flu and when I am totally well I think I shall just celebrate for the rest of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Bernideen. I was happy to share your book, it is beautifully done. I'm sorry you had Covid. Hope you feel much better soon and can enjoy the summer..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Hi Judy... glad to hear you are enjoying deep breathing and taking your sweet time in between! I go back and forth, up and down. A few days here, I am just breathing and "being".. and then a few days I may get busy and do a few things.. and then I'm slowed down again and just being. Back and forth, back and forth.. I'm on a swing for sure but trying not to feel guilty on those days I don't "do" but just "am". I would love to get rid of that guillty feeling when I'm only wanting to rest, read or not do much at all... so that is a work in progress! I'm glad to hear your secret garden is coming along. I've been working in my yard and am making myself a little sitting area that has more shade and where I can sit and just "be" beside my fountain. We've had a few HOT days here, so outdoor work has ceased for now.. but I did go out the other night right before dark, and worked an hour to get the rest of my flowers planted! The mesquitoes got me though.. and that's unusual for here, we usually don't have any mesquitoes! Oh.. and what a different some white paint makes on your dining table! and the white chairs really dress it up! Love your kitchen! xoxoxo Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. A cool spot in the garden beside the fountain sounds just about perfect. A good place to practice all the "between times". When I sit down in the middle of the day and watch TV, I have to keep that rule purposefully in my mind. Sometimes it is easy to forget but when remembered I feel much better. I am finding that not being on any specific schedule is just fine..Enjoy the summer. We are having a lot of hot days now, but is supposed to be a more pleasant holiday weekend..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Judy, it's always a treat to see what you're up to in that charming cottage. I love the table and had to laugh about your husband moving things and then invariably having to move them back. There's been a lot of that going on around here lately and sometimes I forget to just breathe in the middle of all this renovating chaos. Like my mom used to say, Rome wasn't built in a day...I hope you enjoy your new kitchen set up! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. We are enjoying the kitchen. It is a great room to have coffee in the morning when the sun comes in the windows but it isn't that hot yet. We have been having very hot days and taking breaths is necessary to survive. I am keeping track of your progress and am enjoying it all..I know you are enjoying summer these days..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Great post about slowing down and just taking time to breathe deeply. I love seeing the rabbit with your other one. Now she has a friend. I knew you would give her a good home. I have very sketchy internet here by the lake. The weather has been so great this week so far. Lots of walking and breathing on the beach and swimming in the pool. Have a good week. Kris @ Junk Chic Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. Sounds like summer is getting off to a good start for you..I know you are having lots of fun..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Lately things have been put on hold for me too for this or that reason. I so love your kitchen. It is so quaint and cozy! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janice. I am finding that it is good to put some things on hold occasionally. I love my kitchen too and not for the reason it was intended!!..Happy Summer Days..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Your progress in your art is absolutely outstanding. The photos are wonderful. Well done! And that quote hits me today -- a hard time these days and the past two have been rush to the max at home with appointments and things to do before hitting the road again. So tired and so done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I appreciate your kind words. I am still trying. I hope your hard days are getting fewer. July will be a hard one for me as I am just contented to stay home doing nothing, but there will be appointments and road trips . It is very tiring..Hopefully, you will get time soon as the lake..Happy Summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Judy, I relate! I like your attitude! Love your beautiful paintings. What is the blue transfer ware plate with the painting? Love the scene on this piece.
    Take care. I think we all need to keep taking deep breaths. Hope the upcoming 4th of July weekend is festive for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah. I am enjoying this attitude! I'm even getting the hubby to subscribe! The plate is Broadhurst Staffordshire Ironstone, made in England, Est. 1847, and there it also says 1978 Svenska Slott. It is a small dessert plate, 6 1/2 inches that I picked up at a flea market years ago. I love the blue and white. 4th of July will be quiet for us but a lot cooler so am looking forward to it..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. So much to enjoy here, but today I want the slow deep relaxing breath! Love your art work, you are very talented! Thanks for your visit today, thankfully the fire is north of us, we are parallel to lake of the pines but off to the west, I've been reading about it and heartbroken for those in harms way... Praying for everyone's safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jain. It is easier to take a few deep breaths now that we have cooled down some. I am so glad to hear that you are not in line with the fire. I keep thinking what you went through before.. Hopefully this cooler weather will help a bit..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Judy, what a day brightener my visit to Gold Country Cottage was! Your kitchen is soooo charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jean. You are welcome to visit any time..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Judy,
    You know how much I love your Kitchen!! And the "new" table and chairs look lovely and does create a warm and charming effect...I have been busy, busy.... As usual for me...I do feel better that more I move...Can't wait to see how your garden is coming along...Enjoyed seeing Kitchen again...such a treat! Take care until next tome!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. It seems that I only have "repeats" lately. I know we can only enjoy certain things one too many times. I am working on doing better, along with the garden..Hope you are enjoying summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much, Rere. I appreciate your kind words..Happy Summer..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Judy,
    I love the quotes and so true. We have to slow down to appreciate the moments in between, or life just speeds by without notice. Your little table looks so nice with the new paint and chairs. A change of scenery inside is so important to lift the spirits and keep life from getting boring, and even small changes can really make a difference. I love looking at all the little details and everything harmonizes so nicely. Your art is wonderful - such soft, pretty colors. Bernideen's book looks lovely. I remember the days before Roe V. Wade, too. Some real sad situations... So many... Sending hugs to you xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen. Small changes go a long ways in keeping up spirits and we are succeeding little by little..Happy Summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Judy,
    Me again!! I wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting and for your kind words!!!Even though I have been so careful and not going out and masking when i do go out, all 5 of us have come down with Co Vid...Luckily, we had mild cases...I thought I had sinusitis which is mostly what my S&S were like. Joe and Joey had a slight fever and cold S&S...Thank Goodness we did really not get that ill at all and are doing great...But we may not be as lucky next time...The Pa. Dept. of Health did contract tracing and told me that you can pick it up and not get S&S for 2 -14 days so heaven knows who picked it up and when...I will continue masking in public as this is a highly contagious strain of Omicron going around....Please stay safe, healthy and happy. my friend!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb, and I am so sorry that you all have been ill. Jerry and I were just talking the other day, his brother got it and we know that he is very careful about where he goes and what he does. It seems that now we are hearing more and more of people getting it (our counts are really high here) so the odds seem to be getting narrower. We still wear masks and don't go anywhere we don't have to but with the new strains now maybe that doesn't help too much. Glad you are feeling better. We have had all our shots and boosters so if we do get it, I'm hopeful that it will be a light case but hope we don't. Stay well and take care my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy