Tuesday, April 18, 2023

WHEN THE SUN SHINES...












"Wait till the sun shines, Nellie

And the clouds go drifting by...


Lyrics by Andrew B. Sterling, 1905




A few perfect sun shiney smiles 
from the garden.

We are all much happier

 when the sun shines, don't you think?  

I know I am

 and here at our cozy little Cottage

 spring has truly arrived and the sun is shining brightly.





This has been a long, hard winter

 and who knows if it is really over, 

but we are living in the moment 

and loving the heck out of it!





The Cottage parlor is smiling again after many years of being out of the sunlight.  

At the time we moved into the Cottage, 

the Captain had refinished 

the original fir flooring in the parlor.  

Then, for some odd reason

 that we don't even remember now, 

we decided to cover up 

all that lovely patina with carpeting.





I had forgotten how beautiful 

the floor looked 

and now it can really shine again...









Tami and Tim gifted me
 this sweet little line of birds
 and if appears that 
they were made to sing brightly 
from this very spot.






We moved the two blue arm chairs from the sitting room into the parlor.

  I like the space they take up

 and, of course,

 the color is just right.





This old house that

 came into existence so long ago 

has its very own personality 

and the more we try to update it,

 the more we are finding 

that our first instincts

 were the best instincts.





 The Captain and Rugby are out in the garden weed hunting

 but Robin stayed inside, 

forever Mama's little helper.





Today there is a pot of spaghetti 

cooking on the stove 

and pavlova for dessert.




"Wait till the sun shines, Nellie,

We'll be so happy, Nellie

You and I".





Happy days full of sunshine

 to all of you,

 my friends.


...xxoJudy...






Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda

22 comments:

  1. That really is a lovely floor and a reminder -- mine needs some love! And your fireplace with the tiles. I'm sure you must have shown it before but I don't remember it -- it's gorgeous! Happy spring, my friend. Grab it while we've got it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. We are very happy with the way it turned out. The surround on the mantel is just that cheap "tin" panels that we got at Home Depot. I painted over the texture of them..Happy Spring, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Your floor is amazingly gorgeous. I noticed those cute birdies on your fireplace. My daffodils froze with the snow we had the other dat. Ugh. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. I am really happy with the floor and aren't those birdies cute. Sorry about your daffodils. The boquet that you saw in my post was the only spring in the garden..Happy Spring to you my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. THe whole room looks gorgeous, Judy! I love the way the floor looks, those wide planks are beautiful and that skirted loveseat is so charming. I've never seen one like it! Enjoy your sunshine and that line of birds! They are the sweetest!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. We are very happy with the outcome. The settee was passed on to me from my mom. It was covered in the original black silk fabric but very well worn. We had it recovered in the blue and I asked to have the skirt added. I had seen one in a magazine and loved the look. The upholsterer thought I was crazy but he did it anyway and then said he liked it too..Happy Spring..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. It is true that when the sun shines everything is so much better. Your rooms looks so pretty. We had summer last week and this week back to cool spring weather. Hoping it will get to warmer temps soon. Spring and Winter are having a tug of war of late. We have had a very mild winter so we cannot complain but we do want to see the sunshine and warmer temps. Enjoy that sunshine. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Kris. We are enjoying it all. It is feeling like spring weather with the sun out but still pretty cool in the evenings. Typical spring weather for here..Happy Wednesday my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this room, so cozy and inviting...really beckons you to read a book or just ponder. Love all the details...and yay for the floors! Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. We are very happy for the way it turned out. A long time coming, but worth it..Happy Spring my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Hi Judy - Beautiful floors! I do love those birds too. The mantel is the perfect spot for them. Your little helper is so cute. Enjoy all that gorgeous sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. We have been having wonderful weather and it would be so nice if it would stay like this all year!..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. We are all happy when the sun shines. Happy and cheerful. The floors look so pretty. Love the birds, great spot near the fireplace. I am happy to feature your lovely post at Love your Creativity. Happy Sunday. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. That is so nice of you and I am honored. We are pretty happy with the floor but now we are starting one of the biggest jobs we have done here at the Cottage and will let you know about that later..Happy Beautiful Spring..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Judy,
    O MY! What a wonderful post!! Your parlor is just beautiful!!! And the floor is stunning!! I really enjoyed this post and I am so glad that the Sun is finally shining there...
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. We are really happy with the floor and so glad the sun is shining. Seeing lots of places that are still fighting winter..Happy Spring..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Hi Judy.. hope the sun is still shining there! I'm late in answering this post. Have had company for 10 days! Yup.. the company comes out when the weather warms up! I love your plaque at the beginning of this post.. the pretty carved daffodils and chicks. So cute! I can see your cottage is waking up to the spring weather.. your floors just shine and glow. Love the pops of yellow and the pavlova dessert! Now I want some sweets! Take care and enjoy this week.... We are going to have some 80's temps on Friday and Saturday. I'm going to drag out my chair from the storage shed and try to soak up some sunshine! xoxoxo Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. We are enjoying our new old floor and the fact that we still have some sunshine. Enjoy sitting in yours. The news shows some places that are not as lucky as we are right now..Happy Spring..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Our sunshine is about to end again. Sounds like rain coming our way tomorrow. The floors are beautiful and I like the rug you're using. The little birds are sweet. That pavlova dessert looks yummy. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carla. I am always so happy to hear from you. We are loving the floor in the parlor and I did get that rug to use in the sitting room but it was perfectly made for the parlor..Happy Spring..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Judy,
    Just wanted to stop by to thank you for your visit and sweet words!! Hope all is well with you!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy