Tuesday, November 14, 2023

NEW TRADITIONS...

 






Last year we didn't celebrate Christmas until some time in February,

 and we had such a good time

 when it did happen, 

we decided that we might make it

 a new tradition in the family. 

 We had our Thanksgiving dinner and my birthday celebration this passed weekend.  

Seriously, 

it may not become a family tradition 

but when traveling and job related 

time is involved 

we do it when we can

 and it doesn't lose any of the 

significance or happiness

 no matter when it happens.




The kids all supplied the Thanksgiving and birthday staples 

and we provided the table, chairs,

 potatoes and gravy. 

 It was so good to be together.  

The only downside to it all was that

 Jacenda stayed home 

fighting allergies and a bad cold 

and Tami and Tim had 

to take a detour to get home. 

 They left the Cottage around 3 PM 

and didn't get home until 10 PM 

so it turned into a

 very long day for them.





I always try to have 

a little homemade something of Christmas for the girls to take home with them 

and this year I painted 

quilt squares and snowflakes 

in their favorite colors. 

 The snowflakes are sparkly 

but you can't tell in the photo.





Jake and Jacenda gave me 

this pretty coffee table book

 about plants and flowers.  

Did you know that the common sunflower starts out its day facing east 

and as the day progresses 

the stem turns and by sunset

 it is facing west.  

The head of the flower

 and the roots do not move, 

just the stem rotates and follows the sun.  

I did not know that fact

 and find it fascinating.  

See, I didn't just look at the pretty pictures and I'm taking a wild stab 

that this is why it is called a sunflower. 

 It seems like something 

I should have known 

but I had never heard of that. 

 I'm sure those of you 

who are avid gardeners have.




This bright bouquet came with the dinner

 as a birthday surprise

 from Tami and Tim. 

 Its timing was perfect 

as we had a dark, dreary, cold and rainy day.


  I turned 84 years young 

this past Tuesday. 

 It sounds soooo old 

but I have to tell you, 

I am so happy to be celebrating it.

 I have lost a couple of girl friends 

and a few family members 

who weren't so lucky to reach this age. 

I will admit that I am slowing down 

but it has been 

an enjoyable experience so far.  

We all need to slow down a bit 

no matter what the reason.

 Age is just a number

 and I am beginning to treat it

 with the respect it deserves.





I hope you all had a Happy Halloween.  

We had a lot of happy trick or treaters 

and some candy left over

 for the rainy days!


  

I moved the beautiful orchid 

over in front of the mirror. 

 I'm thinking that these old house windows

 might be too drafty during the winter. 

 It seems to be still thriving.



I want to thank Linda at Life and Linda 

for sharing my last post on her party,

 Love Your Creativity.


Until next time...




May your dreams be of all good things...




Joy is on the way.


...xxoJudy...




Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda




25 comments:

  1. Glad you had a happy birthday and could celebrate with the kids. Sorry Jacenda was not feeling great. We have nurses and firefighters in this family so I totally know the drill of picking different days to celebrate the holidays. This year we will celebrate our Thanksgiving on Saturday after. Like you said it is the day of family and not the actual date that is important. Your sweet snowflakes for the girls are so pretty and I love that you gave them homemade items. They will mean more to them. Hope you have a great week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. We had a great day and look forward to the next happening, whenever that may be. My best to you and Terry. Hope you are doing well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Judy! I know what you mean about being happy to celebrate. And your time with family was lovely. I love the snowflake paintings. I think you'll like doing Christmas in February. We did this with our extended family once babies came along and travel was too hard. It's much less stressful, a lot less expensive (shopping after the holiday with sales) and a fun way to enjoy the long winter months. Maybe not so long in Cali, but definitely long in Michigan! A grand idea. Every photo? A gem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. Since Jake grew up and now married, there is another family to take into consideration along with school and now jobs so we do it when we can. We are just thankful to be able to do it..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Happy Happy Belated Birthday, Judy. I love your way of thinking about celebrating birthdays, and holidays. It's being with family and enjoying life that counts. Enjoy your Thanksgiving and Christmas Season! xoxo Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debra. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving "day" and even luckier, hubby and I get to celebrate "twice." Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
    2. Debra, I hope you read this but I can't get a hold of you at all. Something about recaptcha that I have to figure out yet. I am not ignoring you and hope you don't think I am. I still read and look and it is all so beautiful..Happy Holidays..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post Judy! The photos are all beautiful! Love your painted canvases with the snowflakes and the gorgeous flowers and orchid. You are so talented! And. Happy Birthday to you! Your families' creative ways of celebrating each holiday is just about perfect. It's not the "when" but "how" you can all manage to be together. When there are miles between us, we are at the mercy of the weather, jobs, timelines, and trying to make time for our extended families all over the states! You sound like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Now that I'm alone, I have to go when the weather cooperates (no snow) to be with my sisters and /or son. So exact dates may not be met, but the final being together is what counts. Every year I'm still able to drive, walk, see, hear...I feel so blessed! ( and I'll be 80 in 4 years). I'm planning Thanksgiving with my son and his family and so far, think I'll be able to make the 5 hour drive. If it will be icy or snowy, my son said he'll drive the 5 hours to come pick me up, and bring me back home after Thanksgiving! What a blessing! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. I hope you get together with your family and have a wonderful time for the holidays. We certainly are blessed to have our children. I, too, know that they make sacrifices in order to spend time with us and it is so appreciated. You are much braver than I am to think that you would tackle that drive. Be safe and have a wonderful holiday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Judy, happy birthday, dear one. 84! I had no idea! How special to be celebrating 84 years. Life is fragile, and we must live in the moment, celebrate everyone we hold dear. I'm happy you were with your family. I always enjoy your wonderful photos and delightful dialog. All the best for wonderful holidays ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah. I appreciate all your kind words. I am starting to decorate now for Christmas. A few things at a time. Am looking forward to see all that you will do. I know it will be outstanding..Happy Holidays..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Appreciate your expertise shining through in every post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Judy. I can see you had a great one. The coffee table book of flowers I would enjoy peeking through. I like coffee table books like this.
    I like what you said about age being a number and treating it with the respect it deserves. I will remember this as I need to do that. I ache more and a couple Aleve's a day help, but slowing down and taking time will help even more.
    I love the sparkly snowflake art you created. I can tell it has sparkles. Really like how you painted them over the quilt squares.
    My sister-in-law and brother celebrate Christmas with their children after the new year. It's easier for them and more enjoyable. No rushing around and a good dinner to enjoy. Hugs, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Betsy. That really is a good book. Treating age with respect, unfortunately, doesn't stop the aches and pains, but it does give some great TV time! So far celebrating when it isn't the exact holiday is working well for us. Tami retired but found out she had too much time on her hands (can you imagine) so went back to work, Jacenda since just starting on her nursing career is scheduled for lots of weekends and holidays, and Jake travels for his job with Kaiser so he never knows when he will have to go. Jerry and I are just old so we go and do whatever they tell us to!! Happy Holidays my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Judy,
    I love those pretty snowflakes..Happy Birthday, my friend!! Age is just a number and it should be treated with respect and we should be thankful for it because many do not get to see old age....I feel it is a privilege to grow old as many do not get that privilege....Glad you got to celebrate your Birthday and Thanksgiving with your family...I am almost done decorating as I have been hurrying to get done before Thanksgiving. I want to have free time as we await the birth of our twin grand daughters... Hope you have a great weekend!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. I am still decorating. Slowly but surely. Debbie, I didn't know about your grand daughters TWINS! How exciting. I am so far behind in answering that you may have had them already. What fun you are going to have..Happy Holidays, xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday, Dear Judy! I so agree with you about your thoughts on age. We may be getting older, but we can always be young at heart. There's nothing wrong with slowing down after living a long and busy life. I think you are amazing - so creative and talented. Love your pretty table setting and the wonderful quilt square paintings you gifted the family. I love that you are flexible with the holidays, too. We have had to do that many times to get everyone together. Whatever works best - it doesn't matter what day, as long as you can be together. I had no idea about the sunflowers turning towards the sun! How amazing! A gardening book is my favorite kind of book. Hope you have a nice, relaxing weekend - hopefully with a little sunshine, too. Sending hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen. I am so far behind in my answers to everyone but I keep trying to get better but it might be a lost cause. We have had some weak sunshine but the nights are getting colder and colder..That time of year..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday wonderful Judy! It sounds like you had a extra special time with those you love. Can't ask for anything better in my opinion! Hoping your Thanksgiving was equally nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. I am struggling with a new computer and, at times, it seems like an uphill battle. Hope it gets easier before Christmas is over..Merry Christmas..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Yes age is just a number and the number of years that everyone has been to enjoy you. Wishing more trips around the sun. Happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carla. I am fighting with a new computer so bear with me. Hope I can master it before Christmas is over..Happy Holidays..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Judy, looks like a very nice thanksgiving. The coffee table book is lovely. Happy belated birthday. Age is just a number. Enjoy as much as possible Judy. Happy Holidays to you.xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy