Friday, August 31, 2012

COME SEPTEMBER







Oh, it's a long, long while from May to December...
But the days grow short when you reach September...


I had to go to my calendar the other day to look up something and as I saw the September page, this song immediately popped into my head. I don't know why now, it hasn't for many years.  This song was actually written before I was born, composed by Kurt Weill, with lyrics by Maxwell Anderson.  It was introduced in 1938, and performed for the first time by Walter Huston, in the broadway musical Knickerbocker Holiday.  Through the years, I've heard it sung many times, especially by my Dad.  He loved music and sang in a beautiful tenor voice.  This was one of his favorite songs.  I haven't thought of it for a very long time but it has been with me now, over and over, for the past few days.





And the autumn weather turns all the leaves to flame...
And I haven't got time for the waiting game...




This September would have been my mother's 99th birthday.  It is almost unimaginable.




My mother, Viola May (on the right) and her twin sister, Violet Marie (on the left).

They were named after spring flowers, but they bloomed in September.





And the days dwindle down to a precious few...
September...November...





So, come September, in these late days of summer, my garden has not yet started to put on her autumn hued apparel, but, at the same time, she isn't holding on tightly to her short summer dress.




Even though the world is a little more drab and dreary, hang onto the thought that you had the best that summer had to offer and that the best is yet to come.




And these few precious days, I'll spend with you...
These precious days I'll spend with you.



Welcome September....Judy





I am sharing September with:














   

10 comments:

  1. Hi Judy! Thanks for your sweet comment. Love your photos and your sunflower picture just made me more excited for the Fall season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, I love the photo of your Mom and her twin sister. I hate to see summer go because I know here in Minnesota that winter is long. Too long. I so enjoyed your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that song too. It gets play on the 40's station on Sirius so I hear it now and then. Beautiful photo of your Mother and her sister. My Mom's birthday is Sept 12th. She would be 86. I really do love fall, but then I wish it would go back to spring after! I wonder what my harvest table will look like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, I love the pic of your mom and her twin. I am also a twin, so I love old photos like that! Have a great weekend, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma would have loved this post Mom and I can so hear Grandpa singing this song to her up in Heaven!!! Two little love birds watching over all of us!! Busy keeping their grandson in line!! :) LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy! Such a pretty post! Thank God for precious memories! My great, great grandmother's name was also Viola Mae. Thanks for sharing and happy September! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Judy, what a beautiful tribute to memories of your Dad singing the tune and beautiful pics of your dear Mom and her twin. Happy September!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful memories you have of your Mom and Dad. Happy September
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Judy, such a sweet picture of your Mom and her twin sister. Also love your flowers and the cute little rusty bike. Thanks for sharing, ready for September and fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are beautiful. What a pretty photo of your mom and her sister. Aren't they so precious to have now. I see that blue and white china in the photo. Let's see more of that. Deb

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy