Tuesday, March 10, 2015

SURRENDER TO SPRING...








It has been a waiting game here
 in the foothills
 of the Sierras...





...we have gotten a
 very little bit
 of this...





...and none
 of this...






...and a whole lot 
of this...






...and these have come
 and almost gone...





...and these will be 
around again,
 shortly.





So, 
the time has come
 to change my way of thinking,
 to forget about "Sprinter" 
and to surrender to Spring! 
 Because no matter if I mourn winter,
 or the lack thereof,
 I have to admit 
our 75 degree weather yesterday
 was a joy to behold.


"Rejoice in the things that are present;
All else is beyond thee."

Michel de Montaigne







We spent a delightful weekend 
with our little friends, 
Roxie and Izzy, 
and saw Cesar Millan, The Dog Whisperer,
 in person and on stage.






He is such a charming man
 and can really teach
 an old dog new tricks 
right along with their humans.

We have been long time fans of his
 and his teaching methods were very helpful
 in our training of Buddy.
 He had his beautiful pit bull terrier, Junior,
 with him and brought a few dogs from local animal groups on stage
 to showcase how his techniques work on all dogs. 
 It was a very informative, interesting and amazing show,
 but we were not allowed to take any pictures.




Cow bucket and Chick with wagon - Shops in Modesto
Butterfly plates - Tuesday Morning


I did just enough shopping
 to make it all worthwhile...
You know the feeling!


Some things that are happening
 around the Cottage:














The three different camellia bushes
 are almost through blooming...






...and the hydrangeas
 are coming to life once more.






I think the squirrels
 must have entered the fairy kingdom
 and raised a ruckus...





...but no fairies appeared to be injured..
she just got back up,
 dusted herself off,
 and after blowing a kiss to show she holds no ill will,
 went on to make magic elsewhere.






I haven't quite come to terms
 with spring yet
 inside the Cottage...






...but with St. Patrick's Day
 fast approaching...






...I have changed the parlor mantle
 to reflect that...






...it's a simple display,
 featuring green...






 ...which can be changed quite easily
 to welcome spring
 when the surrender is final.






In the meantime
 work is progressing, 
slowly but surely,
 on upcoming transitions.
  Stay tuned.


...Judy...



FYI update:


I would like to thank Debbie 
 at DebbieDabble  
for featuring my hair
 in her 57 Shades of Gray post.

 It still looks the same
 and I am still contemplating
 whether it will stay
 looking the same.

 Thanks so much, Deb.

While you are there
  check out her in- depth review of
 Mr. Selfridge on Masterpiece Classic. 
If you haven't watched this series
 you really should start. 
It is a great show.
 If you loved Downton Abbey you will love Mr. Selfridge as well.

I would also like to take this time to thank Stephanie
 at The Enchanting Rose 
for having me as one of her featured posts
 at last week's party.

Thanks so much, Stephanie.





I did take advantage
 of a free two week session on Ancestry.com
 and was able to find out the following
 on my great-grandmother, Susie.
 You can read the original post (here) 
if you would like.

Her given name was Suzanna
 and her maiden name was Roach.

She was born in 1863 
and died in 1953, at the age of 90. 
 If I am correct
 in surmising the picture was taken in the early part of 1920,
 she would have been around
 57 years old then.






Sharing today with:





17 comments:

  1. Hi Judy! How fun to see Caesar! I also love all your new treasures. And of course, the arrival of spring makes me smile. Have a great rest of the week! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy, What a wonderful post. I love your inspiration for spring and your many wonderful treasures. I adore your plates.
    Thank you for sharing and congrats on your features. Have a nice evening.
    Hugs, CM

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some wonderful treasures here and I love your nod to St. Patrick's Day. The plates are just darling, too. Congrats on being featured and I am SOOO ready for Spring. Hope you have a good night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely post - the spring decorations are wonderful. It is nice to see what you are doing and what is sprouting in spring. We've had a few days of 55 degrees - back down a little now and some rain - but not enough to give us the snow pack we need. Then more sunshine - my hyacinths are beginning to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post. Your have some great photos here that made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Such a fun post, and so many good things here !
    Love your treasures from your trip... and it sounds like you had a fun trip, I'm so glad.
    Darling mantle décor... once again! Love your little vignettes and sweet touches all around your cottage.
    What's that! Do I see Zinsser {my all time favorite renovators tool}... must be some great make-over project you're working on. Looking forward to seeing what you've been up to.
    So glad that you found out more about your G. Grandma! I have meant to tell you that the LDS Family history centers are open and free to the public. They are happy to help you with any family history, and they have some wonderful tools to assist in the search... Family Search, Ancestry.com..etc..

    Enjoy this wonderful Spring-like weather :)
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved all the wonderful pictures - they are great! Sounds like you had a grand time with Caesar. He is very good.
    Your Irish decorations look very good. I didn't put anything up, as I have nothing. Looks like we are going to get some more hot weather this weekend. We had NO winter at all.
    Enjoy your Spring and have a great weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy, seems as if you are a few weeks ahead of us in the sprint...but I am sure we will catch up soon. I for one, can't wait. Oh to see blossoms....sigh.

    And I wish he would do some cat whispering...Boo got me up at 4 am today. I'm tired.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've been busy! I haven't done a think for St Patrick's Day, but have enjoyed everyone else's greens!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My, you have had a lot going on! Spring has arrived here too, sometimes I think it never left, and summer, well I rather dread it's coming. Going to see Caesar, perhaps you are thinking about getting another canine friend....? I really haven't thought much about St Patrick's Day except buying a cornbeef brisket, it is the only time of year I cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Judy,
    Its all looking lovely around your cottage.
    Love your mantle.. What is it about spring that hearts miss a beat with the sense of hope. Of new things to come. working in the garden seeing new growth. Life is good Judy. I worked 2 half days in my garden this week. still a ways to go..but will get there.
    Oh.. how super to see Ceasar Milan in person. I think he is great. He is on here every day. Love your two little friends. Will you be getting another doggie!!!!

    will be looking out for your next post, and more lovely decor.
    Gold Country Cottage is always a delight to visit.
    Happy days.. love to you dear friend. Val..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Judy what a fabulous post! And I can believe how far ahead of us you are with regard to Spring. Our "daffydil" shoots are just about an inch out of the ground and yours are already in bloom! I actually saw my first robin today while in Pa. Love your green St. Patty's decorations. I have been so busy with redecorating that I haven't had time to decorate for spring. Wishing you a wonderful spring weekend ahead!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful signs of spring, how neat to see Ceaser Millan too. Love your collection of plates

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dearest Judy, your lovely posts always have a way of drawing me in.... Yes, Spring is approaching and it's simply beautiful. We did not have much of a Winter here in the mountains {which is very unsual} and since I am a Winter girl I was a little disappointed. But now the birds are singing, the grass is turning green, and the days are getting warmer....I am loving it! :)

    Thank you so much for sharing with Roses of Inspiration - it is always a joy to have you link up. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had my winter and now ready for spring. Our daffodils are no where near bloom. Neat info there on your Grandmother. I am still digging myself on some of mine , it's fun and addictive. Parlor mantle plates are so pretty.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our winter was especially hard this year so we are more than ready for spring and summer.
    So glad you got to see C. Millan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that cloud and sun pictures. Great post. Love the mantle and all your pictures.
    pretty cool meeting Cesar

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy