Tuesday, April 17, 2018

PATIENCE...










As I write this,
 it is bone chilling cold outside. 
 Last week, 
I wrote about how the sun had come out
 and we were really entering into the 
Spring cycle.

 It was so nice, 
I said, 
that the air smelled fresh and pure
and the colors of spring were brilliant, 
to the point of 
hurting our eyes.

 Now,
 there are swarms of little birds 
rushing the holly tree, 
picking something off that 
only their little eyes can see, 
and then rising up into the sky. 
 A black cloud in search of 
another neighborhood. 

 Above, 
they have left a few behind,
 silhouetted against a gray sky,
 possibly
 to protect their spoils
 until the others 
make their return trip,
 as they have been doing each day.





Now,
 later in the morning, 
the air remains cold and 
rain is falling. 
 Oh, 
wait a minute,
 that rain has now turned to snow. 
 Nothing is sticking and
 after awhile the snow is gone,
 a slight drizzle remains, 
and we are back to 
very cold, gray skies.





I have never been 
what you would call
 a patient person.

 I can become engrossed 
in a project, 
one with minute details and 
that takes a lot of time, and
 stick to it until the end, 
but waiting for a table 
or in a grocery store checkout line 
are not things that I like to do. 
 Although,
 I enjoy being with people, 
I would rather tackle a task
 by myself, 
following my own plans and
 getting things done. 
 I am no good at
 putting a puzzle together 
as that entails a plan
 not of my making and
 it frustrates me.





 Along with all of those pressures
 having been piled upon my shoulders, 
I find that one of my 
least patient qualities 
is waiting for this horrible winter 
to be done.

 This teasing
by Mother Nature is
 getting so tiresome.

 Today was a day
that we were going grocery shopping. 
 It has been a little over a week 
since our last trip and 
we are rooting through the cupboards,
 looking for dinner provisions,
 but with this unpredictable weather system,
 we decided not to go. 
 You know,
 I'm no good at it,
 but the Captain 
can make a meal out of 
practically nothing,
 so I knew we wouldn't starve, but...





...not having
 fresh flowers on the table 
is unforgiveable!






On a trip to Home Goods awhile back, 
I was looking for some pillows
 with brightly flowered patterns on them. 
 I thought
 that would brighten up these
 dull days. 
But, 
as much as we all love Home Goods,
 do you ever go and 
not find one thing of interest?

 That doesn't happen to me very often
 but on this trip, 
even though the shelves were full,
 none of the colors were right, 
it all looked kind of junky, and 
there was a lot of broken stuff.

 I did spot 
these two black and white pillows 
that I liked. 
The ones that I use most of the time
 are falling apart and
 I do think a bit of black 
always looks good. 
I think these will
 look right at home with
 some other 
colorful pillows added in.





I did add some more 
galvanized pieces to the shelf. 
I think that star 
is kind of pretty and 
a different look 
from the usual barn stars.
 The star and the "O" are from
Hobby Lobby.





The lilac buds 
are going to be opening soon. 
 With them, 
I hope that the nice weather 
will return also and 
I won't have to depend totally 
on Trader Joe's 
for fresh flowers...
and my solemn wish 
is that I can...


"Adopt the pace of nature: 
her secret is patience."

Ralph Waldo Emerson



...Judy...





FYI: 
I wrote this yesterday (Monday). 
Just before I was going to post today,
guess what?...
Spring is back!
 The sun is out and brightly shining! 

Oh, Lordy! 

Trader Joe's here we come!


Sharing today at:




17 comments:

  1. Oh Judy, this post is pure poetry. And I agree with every word. It's only about 30 here and the wind makes it colder and I am, like you, profoundly impatient for spring. But it looks like your wait might be over, hopefully for good. I, too, am longing to smell the lilacs. (You're lucky -- it's about an hour to the nearest TJs for me, and Kroger's flowers just aren't the same!). Your photos are beautiful and I love the new accents in your home. Speaking of which, Home Goods is a store from which I should definitely keep a distance! Danger, Will Robinson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, Our spring is confusing. Your lilacs are farther along than ours...but the weather description sounds like ours. I am to point where I will just buy up flowers when I know we are past the snows. I may go for fake ones if this keeps up. Love your star and home sign.Blessings to you,xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that our weather is CRAZY. I had to turn the heat on today as I was freezing. Great post and I must admit that I am like you.

    Have a great rest of the week.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This teasing by Mother Nature is getting so tiresome", you are correct..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we are so over this tug of war between Spring and Winter. Spring needs to win and this cold and snow needs to leave. It is not welcome anymore. I am not good in the patience department either and really am not with this cold then warm then rain then snow stuff. I think we all need to get into Spring and stay there. Happy Tuesday. Glad you could get out to get some groceries. Wooo Hooo!
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy! Oh yeah, spring has not been kind to us in the Midwest too. We are a winter weather adbvisory today, of all things - 2 to 5 inches of snow. Yikes! I'm ready for spring to arrive and so are the robins, hummingbirds and crocus. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring keeps peeking her head in and out here, too. I'm equally as frustrated and impatient waiting for the sun to shine and my freezing cold toes to warm up. I have resorted to faking spring in my home, but it's not the same when I have to put my winter coat on and warm my car up before I head outside. Here's hoping your spring sticks this time and it makes its way here, soon!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is your yellow rose a Lady Banks? It is lovely.

    Hang in there, spring will settle in soon, then summer will be here.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spring is coming in fits and starts here, too. It can be very discouraging. Love all your wonderful vignettes - the pretty bottles in the window, the tulips with the falling petals, the wonderful pillows and galvanized goodies. I had to laugh at your trip to Homegoods. Sometimes we just don't feel inspired. Glad the sun came out finally. Trader Joe's is worth the trip, especially for the flowers :) xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes... what a tug of war going on with Mr. Winter and Ms. Spring! Same here in central Oregon. I don't even want to go outside! I think in the area where I live, there is only winter and summer, NO spring or Fall! It'll be this way until the end of May probably, and then BAM..... summer will be here with 80 to 90 degree temps immediately.. no sliding into summer at all. That's the way it was for the last two years we've lived here! I just have to keep telling myself, don't even think about doing any planting until June! Love the new additions to your sweet home.... and glad the sun did show it's face the next day after you wrote this! We may have some nice weather this weekend.... Hugs. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well said! I am with you on the patience thing in all the ways you mentioned. I am past hopeful at this point about the weather and just enduring it all. The weather reports have been off so we haven't had it as bad as others. Poor Diana in Wisconsin (Nana Diana takes a Break) got 2 feet of snow! I guess there is always somewhere worse off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crazy right! This weather keeps us all watching it for sure. I like the star you added. So nice seeing something other than the over used barn star. I do like this one for sure.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. We still have snow .. but they are predicting warmer temperatures so that is hopeful... I loves seeing your budding lilac and flowers and the birds are definitely harbingers of Spring...We saw a robin two days ago and OMG ..It was exciting( Ha Ha)... I guess sometimes the good Lord want us to count our blessings and appreciate the gifts that he has given us ...Like SPRING.... Its’t it fun to remodel a little here and there... It certainly does lift the spirits ... You pillow and star look super ....Have a lovely day ...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. The weather is being very bipolor everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this, It's very interesting Blog...
    I believe there are many who feel the same satisfaction as I read this article!
    I hope you will continue to have such articles to share with everyone!
    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad spring is back. You have had a terrible winter. Thanks for sharing at Keep In Touch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pink and White flower - was that a camillia? Pretty for sure. I have gone to Home Goods 3 times and each time been disappointed. Never found a thing I wanted. Bah. I tried and I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy