Tuesday, August 14, 2018

DOWN MEMORY LANE, PART TWO...











Last week, 
I left you at the cross roads
 of our trip down memory lane (here).

  Now we will start
 at the beginning of
 the Captain's and my married life together.

  We had a very small wedding. 
 We went to Reno with just two of our friends who stood up for us and whom we had stood up for the day before, at their wedding.

  However,
 my folks gave us a reception awhile later 
with many of our family and friends.
  The only thing I regret
 was not having the picture album 
that a conventional wedding 
usually produces. 
 But we did have, on our side, 
all that mattered to us at that time, 
love and youth,
 and we did manage to get 
one photo that 
we cherish (above).





Our first home together 
was a cute, little rental cabin, 
which I was unable to get a photo of,
 tucked back into the trees.

 It had one bedroom, 
was fully furnished 
and the walls were all a warm knotty pine.
  It was a true fairy tale cottage.
 We thought we had made a big mistake,
 however,
 when we arrived on moving day. 
 We were greeted with a horrible smell 
as we came to the front door and,
 what we didn't know was, 
that the old woman who owned the house 
had spread manure on a garden bed 
to make it pretty for her 
newly married tenants.
  
How were we to imagine 
the beautiful and fragrant sweet peas 
that would eventually grace our doorway 
and welcome us home every time 
we stepped over the thresh hold?
  
This was a happy place 
as Tami was born
 while we lived here.




We bought our first home 
from friends of ours 
just before Brent was born. 

 It was a cute house
 with a large rear garden 
and a bright and welcoming 
orange front door.

 We didn't stay in this house very long 
as it was only two bedrooms
 and I wanted each of the kids 
to be able to have their own room.

 It is being used 
as a pre-school these days 
and the lawn and flower beds have,
 sadly, 
been turned into 
a parking lot.





Tami was just starting kindergarten 
when we bought this house. 
 Each of the kids finally got their own rooms
 and I was able to decorate them 
to my heart's content.

 The house had a 
wonderful back and front garden 
and the tree that you see behind the house, 
in the top right hand corner,
 was a sapling 
when we brought it from 
my grandparent's ranch. 
 It would now be about 
53 years since we planted it there. 
 It is also 
where we hung a crystal chandelier
 in the bathroom, 
way before it was fashionable to do so.

 The house was about 
two blocks from the ocean
 and was where I started getting 
the feelings that fog 
wasn't my friend!...





...and that is how we ended up
 back pretty close 
to where I had begun in Soquel.

 This is where we raised our two kids
 and this is where Tim and Tami 
are living now
and where they raised Jake.

 In all the other houses 
we have lived in, 
never did we put up any of the fences shown.

 Only in this one,
 possibly,
 to surround the place
 where the very best
 of our memories were made.
  
It is also in this house 
that we spent our
 recent beach vacation...




A drive along the Capitola cliffs


...but this is the closest
 we got to 
the beach...





...most of our time was spent 
lounging on the couch
 with Bo...






...or with Bo
 lounging on the couch 
with Rosie...





...or with Bo 
lounging on the couch by himself 
because Rosie...





...preferred 
lounging in her
 clam shell.





Kai is wondering, 
not too happily,
 who does this big guy think he is, 
lounging with my Papa. 
 That's my job!

The kids have Netflix
 and we binged watched movies.

 If you happen to have Netflix, 
I strongly recommend 
the three seasons of "Last Tango in Halifax".
  It was the best entertainment
 we have had in ages.





The kids had a great time 
in Alaska
 and brought us back these 
really pretty
 coffee mugs...





...and this beautiful flower arrangement 
that was waiting for us 
when we got back home.

 We really felt like
 we were on vacation, 
but it is always good 
to come home.


...Judy...





Sharing today with:


and













  

15 comments:

  1. You and your hubby are super cute; then, and now!!!
    I had to keep looking at the last two houses to see how they were different, as they looked similar to me. Then, I saw that one had three peaks, and one has two.

    I am so glad that you had a nice time and a nice vacation. I tell you anymore, staying in out of the smoky skies and heat, and watching a good show sounds about perfect to me!

    I can imagine that Kai was a tad jealous.
    Love the mugs and the flowers are so pretty.

    I'm glad that the skies are clearing a bit for you as well.
    I did see that so many acres have burned there in CA.
    Also, I saw on the news that a firefighter from here in Utah was killed fighting fires there.
    It has been a tragic year for wildfires!
    Praying we all get nice long rain showers, and that folks stay safe.

    ~Smiles :)
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post, Judy! It is so much fun to know where people come from and how their lives have evolved over the years. I know there is story upon story in every one of those houses that we will never be privy to because those are deep family joys and sorrows.

    I loved all the houses---they are as cute as can be. I am jotting that Netflix series down. Did you watch Anne with an E? It is really a great show, too.

    I hope you have a wonderful rest of the day/evening. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, I love reading the story of your young married days. Love conquers all. I liked seeing your houses. I bet you and the captain improved each one you lived in. Your sweet grandson Jake lived where you used too. Oh so nice. Poor Kai, between the big dog and the tiny dog....having to share her master's lap...no fair. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great memories! Loved hearing about where you lived throughout your married life. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to learn more about you and the captain and your early years of marriage. I loved all your cute houses too.
    Such great memories. Thanks for sharing with all of us.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, fun post, Judy. So nice to learn more about you and your captain. Sweet memories. So nice of you to baby-sit the fur family. Glad you enjoyed the time. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to share these memories with you, I have really enjoyed it. The wedding photo is so cute! What a lovely and fulfilling life you have had, may it continue on for a long, long time!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these trips back in time. We live in the same town that I grew up in and it's funny to see how things change. Some memories have been washed away with the buildings, but every now and then I come across an old picture and it all comes back. I love that the tree is still there...that's amazing. Glad you had a nice vacation. The pups are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this lovely continuation of your early life together.

    Glad you had a nice little vacation, and a sweet welcome home.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your vacation sounds great! I love it and I loved accompanying you on your journey back through time and to the wonderful spots where you established your lives together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice to get away for awhile and at least enjoy that pretty view of the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun to reminisce about your homes in the past. It would be fun to have a photo album with all of the places we've lived! How neat to go back and House/pet sit in a home you used to live in and raised your children in. Bo looks quite the friendly and loving guy! And I LOVE Netflix.. and I do tend to binge watch sometimes if a new series or season comes out. I LOVED Last Tango in Halifax! In fact... I watched the first two seasons on regular TV.. then lost the TV and now only have "air" TV and I've seen where I can go watch the last season on Netflix now. I MUST do that! It was just so great. I loved going back in time with you.... and wish you did have more wedding pictures! So glad you have the one to cherish. I guess back then, we didn't think so much of having to capture EVERYTHING on camera, although I tended to be that way, even in my teens. Thank you for letting us take a peek into your life! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like the perfect happy marriage and life! That photo truly is one to cherish. It was fun to see your previous homes and learn more about you and your hubby. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was fun to read. I really enjoyed your pictures and the trip down memory lane. Thanks for linking to Keep in Touch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank for your very good article! i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy