Tuesday, August 21, 2018

TRANSITIONING TIME...









The time has come for transitioning.  Transitioning into fall from summer.

 In our minds 
we may not want to hasten this time along, 
but Mother Nature
 sometimes has other plans.

 The leaves are falling 
and covering our Secret Garden
 with a layer of gold.

 There are three species of trees
 overhanging the garden.  
One is a holly,
 another is a walnut
 and the last is one that
 I don't know the name of. 
 This is the one
 that is dropping the leaves. 
 They are small in size 
so it looks just like 
a uniform carpet layer over all. 
 They get mashed down 
into the pea gravel 
when walked on 
so they are not the 
pretty, soft, large type 
that can be kicked when walking through,
 bringing back those wonderful memories 
of youth,
 but they do lend 
a colorful glimpse of 
the coming autumn.






At the beginning of summer, 
I thought we would have
a pretty good year 
with the hydrangeas, 
but now they are
 drying on the bush...






...and it seems a little early
 for them to be at this stage to me.
  It seems I was picking them 
later last year
 and letting them dry 
in the vase.





This bush in
 the Secret Garden
 was in great shape in June
 and now...





...the blooms have faded
 and the one remaining 
is laying on the little bird house 
as if it is too big of a job 
to hold up its head.







The Limelight hydrangea 
that was so pretty 
when we planted it last summer 
and then, again, 
so gorgeously dried 
in the house...







...is now a very spindly
 and lightweight looking plant.

 Maybe the heat this summer
 has something to do with 
what is changing in the garden.

 It has been an exceptionally hot summer 
and more time is being spent indoors, 
possibly taking the time away 
from what is needing 
to be addressed outside.

 The Captain 
has been saying 
throughout the drought we have been in 
that we needed to get rid of 
all our lawn
 and replace it with something
 using less water.
  While I was inside, 
staying somewhat cool, 
he tackled a project 
that he had been wanting to do.
  
I have to say,
 sometimes I get upset at him
 when he takes a job 
onto himself 
without consulting me,
 but this time 
I am so proud of what
 he came up with.





Remember this cute little bistro set
 we had on the screened porch 
to replace the table we moved 
into the kitchen?

 When we replaced it
 with the one we are using now, 
it was just sitting in a corner
 of the garage.

  He laid a layer of black weed barrier 
over the lawn, 
surrounded it with cobblestones
 from a street in San Francisco 
that we were lucky to find 
and piled bark over the top. 
 He then took the bistro set 
and arranged it in front of the lilac bush.

  It wasn't done at that stage,
 but I thought it looked so cute 
and I ordered 
a small market umbrella 
to add to the scene...






...I think he had 
a great idea
 and it is a good start
 to what will happen next.

 What that is,
 we are not yet sure of,
 but doing a little at a time
 seems to be easier 
to deal with.






Getting back to my time spent inside. 
 We picked this large bread board up 
at a garage sale awhile back.
  I figured I could use it for something.

  The transitioning 
that is going on
 has put me in the mood 
for some autumn decorating.
  
I have been looking at a stencil site 
that I like
 (Thestencilsmith.com) 
and chose a stencil appropriate 
for the season. 
 I painted the board 
with orange acrylic paint
 and stenciled the design in black.
  The stencil looked a little small 
on the board
 after it was done, 
so I added a border 
to take up space. 

 I am very happy
 with the way it turned out 
so I turned the bread board over
 and did another stencil 
on the other side...





...now I have a sign 
for each of the upcoming seasons 
and I think they will fit in nicely
 when the seasonal decorating begins 
and, also, 
will be easier 
when it comes to finding room 
to store one item 
instead of two.





We had two bands 
that came off of 
an old wine barrel that had fallen apart.

  Now one has transitioned into
 framework for the pretty star 
I got at Home Goods awhile back.

I think it adds 
some satisfactory whimsy
 to the shelf.
  





One last image of
 Trader Joe's alstromeria 
on the dining room table.

 These are always 
my go to flowers
 as they are so long lasting
 in this summer heat
 and pretty too.





Well, the hot days are continuing 
and so are the transitions.

 The neighbors
 are putting a new roof on 
their garage 
so even our hummingbird watch 
is being put on hold.

 More time 
being spent inside
 will continue...





... at least 
until night falls.



...Judy...





A shout out 
to my good friend 
Kim at Exquisitely Unremarkable (here).

  She is up for an award 
for her wonderful DIY projects.
 She is so clever 
and such a good crafter. 
 Please stop by
 and vote for her.


Sharing today with:



and








12 comments:

  1. Judy, You are a clever one, using both sides of your bread board. I love it. Also that little sitting nook your husband created is adorable. I would dearly love one of those myself. My Teddy Bear had welded the hoops from some old barrels together for me. I now have a nice sphere. Blessings to you and your captain. xoxo, Susie
    p.s. The header on your blog would make an awesome greeting card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, you are a doll. I was reading your post, nodding along, as I too have noticed subtle changes in the air, admiring your projects (and the Captain's!) and decor, when I saw my name! Thank you for the sweet shout out my friend. Awards are nice, but friends have been the true blessing of blogging. I am blushing here in my living room. ☺️ Getting back to you, I just adore that double sided sign you whipped up. I am so impressed with your eye for design and your steady stencil hand. Not a smudge in sight...but I'm not at all surprised by your craftiness. Now I'm off to check out that site, because you've inspired me! Big hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning!
    I too am looking forward to Autumn more than ever this year, and not only because it is my most~est, favorite~est season **grin**, but because it has been a super hot, dry and yes, smoky summer.
    Bring on cool weather, and falling leaves, and hot chocolate :)

    As always your home looks so inviting! It's like looking through a cottage magazine and I always see so many charming and inspiring images. You did a great job with the stencil projects and I love the old fashioned feel of the signs... very cute!

    The Captain did a great job on the welcoming garden spot! I have to agree, anymore less grass is better. It makes more sense to have borders and seating areas, with all the dry hot weather it seems a exercise in futility to try and keep lawn green.

    Thanks for sharing this beautiful and inspiring post.

    Have a lovely day.
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bread board! The Captain did a great job in the garden. It has been very hot this summer. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy,
    I did vote for Kim. She is very crafty and deserves to win this award. Even with me being a summer girl I am looking forward to a little bit of fall to start soon. Crisp cool mornings and the leaves changing on the trees. I am over the hot and humid and the buzzing of the air. Need some of those nice 60 to 70 fall evenings to have the windows open for sleeping. I like the little bistro set beginnings. I know you will continue to make that space so cute. My front Hydrangea's are getting ready for a second blooming. The ones in the backyard are just not producing. So not sure why. Maybe too much hot afternoon sun for mine back there too. I know Hydrangea's are very picky and love the temps to be consistent and not too hot. This is my first year planting them so maybe the ones in the back will be better next season. Good to read your post today Judy. Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new sitting area! Now I know what you where talking about...yes! we do often seem to be on the same wave length. I use a lot of rocks in my garden too but the cobble-stone are wonderful, what a great find they must have been. The whole new space he created is totally charming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your husband did an awesome job with the bistro area. I love it. He knows what you like. I know how feel about not being consulted first, I am the same way. I think it's sweet. San Francisco cobblestones look so nice lining the area. I love cobblestones and have a few from the old street in downtown Richmond.
    Your limelight Hydrangeas look a little like my Pee Gee hydrangeas. Do you know the difference in the two?
    I see so many different kinds that look like each other. I had no idea there were so many.
    I do like those Alaska coffee mugs, especially with those two cookies sitting in front of them. Very pretty flower arrangement and such a sweet thing to leave for you.
    Happy Weekend to you
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited,Thank you for sharing good topic.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am lucky our summer is going on because I'm just not ready to transition to the new season. But I must say, there are some glorious photos here -- a new spot to lounge and enjoy, lovely blooms, and I love your TJ flowers in that pretty blue pitcher. Feels so very cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How strange with the hydrangeas. Heat and rain affect the garden for sure. My proven winner begonias look terrible right now. Thanks for linking to Keep in Touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been a hot summer here too. We have had a couple of cooler days this week, and it has been so nice. I've been cutting lots of plants back in the garden and adding a few mums to my annual pots. I love the little area your hubby created for you! Love your cutting board. I am pulling out the rest of my fall this weekend. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing.
    หนัง Animation

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy