Tuesday, November 13, 2018

OUR HARVEST HOME - PART TWO...








Gorgeous flowers from the kids for my birthday




Yummy ice cream cake from Kai



I showed you 
the majority of our Harvest Home last week,
 but what I didn't share 
was the room in the middle,
 the room that holds 
the most of
 the harvest decor.






We started at the front door 
and then skipped to the back of the Cottage.
  What is left is 
the main room in the middle, 
the sitting room, 
where we spend most
 of our time.





Last year, 
this room was all about 
the sweater pumpkins...





...I confiscated old sweaters 
from the far reaches of the closets 
and from whatever I could find 
in the thrift shops 
and fashioned them into 
unique and pretty pumpkins. 
 But, when I looked in magazines 
and visited many blogs,
 I saw true visions of loveliness 
in the form of
 velvet pumpkins...





...I picked up a scant few on sale
 just before last Christmas,
 but not as many as I liked, 
so I vowed to make some 
for myself this year.





Enter:  A Plethora of Pumpkins!

Believe it or not, 
I had a really hard time 
finding velvet in colors 
that I wanted from numerous fabric stores, 
so I decided to 
order on-line.





I ordered one yard
 of this gorgeous velvet
 from one company. 
 It is stretch velvet 
and was $6 per yard. 
 After loading in all my info,
 the computer would not let me 
finalize the deal. 
 Ever determined, 
I clicked on Amazon 
(which I should have done to begin with) 
and they offered 
the same fabric for the same price. 
 I ordered and sat back 
to wait for delivery. 
 Long story short,
 I received delivery in a few days 
and then I received delivery again. 
 Yes,
 even though the computer told me 
my first order didn't go through - 
it lied! 
 Do you know how wide 
a piece of velvet is? 
 And that, 
coupled with my bizarre affliction 
of more is more, 
is the reason there is 
a plethora of velvet pumpkins,
 mostly all the same color! 
 Live and learn? 
Maybe!





These pumpkins 
are easy and fun to make, 
not to mention the savings 
to your pocket book 
when compared with those for sale in stores.
  The hard part 
is finding real stems,
 although there are so many great ways 
to add a stem 
if you are creative.
  I ordered 
most of my stems on-line 
and, believe me, 
I paid more for the stems 
than I did for all 
the pumpkins 
I made.





It is fun to see each 
of these creations
 when they are done. 
 Because they are all handmade, 
they appear to each have 
a different personality 
and if you are lucky enough 
to find the perfect stem 
than that personality 
really shines through.





I bet 
this rough and tumble Little Red Wagon
 never thought, in a million years, 
it would be carrying around 
such elegant cargo, 
some store bought
 and some I made.






What started out
 as two small bouquets 
of faux flowers
showcased in wire pot hangers 
from the 40's 
in the once upon a time kitchen... 




...was added to 
a pretty blue tin cone 
and quickly decorated 
the front door...




...then moved 
into the entry 
into a vintage lard can...





...and continued gaining momentum 
each time I went into a shop.
 I would buy a few stems 
 and mix them into the original 
until there were many colors, 
fitting for every room
 and occasion...





...and now 
it has morphed into 
an explosion of color and size
 and it makes me smile
 and feel happy 
every time 
I see it.





A branch of velvet pumpkins
 fell off the pumpkin tree 
and found their way 
into the gatherings, 
along with some sprigs of wheat, 
for this celebration 
of the season.





Some more views 
of what the sitting room looks like 
dressed for autumn...













"There is no place 
more delightful 
then one's
 own fireside."

Cicero










I would like to take this time 
to send heartfelt thoughts
 to the citizens of Paradise, California.
  Not only have they 
lost their homes and their friends, 
but also their town, 
to one of the most horrendous wildfires 
burning in 
Northern California.





Clarence Thomas,
 a Grass Valley native, 
born in 1886, died in 1917, 
as the first casualty of WW1.

In honor of Veteran's Day, 
I want to say  
to all the men and women
 who have served our great country
 Thank You and
We Will Never Forget.


...Judy...





Sharing today with:


and











17 comments:

  1. I love that sweet heart on the quilt and especially the sweater pumpkins. Was that a trend I missed? Timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beauty!I love your gorgeous vignettes and adorable flowers!Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, I have never seen such glorious pumpkins. I love them all. great stems too. Your flowers are so beautiful. I always love to visit your blog and see all the pretty things you put together in your decorating. Blessings to you and yours, xoxo,,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy Judy Judy Happy Birthday first of all I have one coming up and real glad about it
    Your pumpkins are so pretty and I add to mine also every year
    Your cottage is cozy and very lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! Love the quilt heart, those wonderful velvet pumpkins make one swoon and I love your fantastic bouquet.

    Thanks for sharing your lovely autumn decorating.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pumpkins are glorious! So pretty and they look adorable in the little wagon. What a lovely addition to the season. Everything looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Judy! Oh gosh, where to start? This post had so much goodness in it! Your velvet pumpkins are wonderful. I especially like the daily trim. I also always enjoy looking at all of your beautiful antiques. Be still my heart! You have so many beautiful pieces. The little wagon is just darling. Thanks for sharing all of your coziness. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Judy, your pumpkins are beautiful. They look amazing in your wagon. Kudos go out to you. The flowers are lovely as well. Happy belated birthday. Many blessings to you Judy. Thank you for sharing at Dishing & Digging It.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Judy,
    As always your home is so beautiful. I love all of those pumpkins but the velvet ones are amazing.
    Take care
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Judy the pumpkins are gorgeous. I love them in that sweet wagon. Hope you had a fabulous birthday.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your sweater pumpkin, that is a cute idea..

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, your posts are a delight to read, and the pictures are always so inspiring!
    I had to chuckle at your plethora of velvet pumpkins due to having an abundance of velvet... that is completely something that would happen to me~LOL!
    I adore that little wagon stuffed full of beautiful pumpkins and can imagine it no other way.

    Kai is a sweetie... esp. for gifting you that yummy cake for your birthday!

    Warm wishes...
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy, everything looks so wonderful! So enjoy the pumpkins in the wagon and the flower arrangement with the flags, and that quilted heart. So so many wonderful goodies you ave. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pumpkins are beautiful and the stems add so much personality. Love visiting your home each season.
    So very sorry about ALL of the fires in California. So many lives and homes, etc. lost ! So sad.
    Have a beautiful Friday and weekend.
    Charlotte in Va.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Judy, visiting your cottage is like receiving a warm hug!! All your Fall touches throughout your home are just perfect. Your velvet and fabric pumpkins are soooo pretty. I visited your Part 1, too, and loved all your pretty floral arrangements. Happy Belated 58th Anniversary wishes to you and your sweetie, and Happy Belated Birthday wishes to you.
    p.s. I'm addicted to the Hallmark channel, too, and love the Christmas movies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judy.. oh where to begin! I love it all! The sweater pumpkins are darling, and I too love the velvet ones and those stems are so unique! Didn't know you could actually BUY stems online! Thanks so all us crafters out there, people can sell just about anything for crafting! Your sitting room is so warm and cozy and I can imagine you using it all the time... love the wood stove and brick and white mantel.. and the little wagon on the wagon table... and the wool felt pillow on the shelf.. each thing placed is put there I'm sure, with so much love by you. Do you have alot of storage for all of your goodies for the seasons? You must! Love all the pretty pillows on the couch too. I had to laugh when you said about getting the double order of velvet! The silver gray velvet pumpkins are just wonderful, and love the ones with the doilies around the stem. I have some plaid flannel I collected years ago, to make pumpkins, and still haven't! Maybe this year but it's almost too late.. will have to make some red ones I guess for Christmas! Who heard of a pumpkin at Christmas.. but we have pumpkin pie then too, don't we? (I do!). Your cottage is so cozy and warm and full of wonder! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love seeing all the gorgeous and delightful autumn touches you have added to your lovely home, Judy! And those velvet and sweater pumpkins are absolutely wonderful! You've inspired me to save my pumpkin stems so I can make some for next year. I had to laugh at your on-line shopping experience - this has happened to me, too. Just love the vintage quilt and heart and that wonderful afghan. All the warm colors make things so cozy. Everything looks beautiful. Sending hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy