Tuesday, January 22, 2019

ANOTHER SNOWMAN, A LOOK BACK, AND EXTRA LOVE...










For Christmas 
I made a red snowman.  
I fashioned two velvet pumpkins 
together with a snowman ornament head, 
then I took some white velvet 
and another larger snowman ornament,
 and put this 
jolly little fellow 
together...




...he is here to celebrate 
the last of the winter's offerings 
and his bright smile 
is certainly doing a
 grand job of it.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


In looking over
 my posts of this last year, 
this is the one 
that got the most views 
and I thought I would share it again.

  It was written in the fall, 
just before Thanksgiving 
and it went 
something like this...



SUNFLOWER SUMMER





All that glitters
 is not always gold,
 but as long as the sun is shining,
 we hold a special place 
in our hearts 
for the summertime
 that is here and now 
and for the memories 
that we will cherish 
long after it is gone.

 As we continue on with 
the Sunflower Summer,
 a few that have graced
 the vases of Gold Country Cottage,
 now lay on the kitchen sill (above),
 waiting to dry, 
to be added into 
a wreath or a garland 
that will continue on 
and add cheer
 to a wall or a door 
of the Cottage.






On the kitchen table,
 Goatzie is pulling 
a bounty of sunflowers 
that will also be a part of
 the fall and harvest crafting
 that will be taking place 
along with the 
goldenrod drying 
in the spongeware pitcher.





Another flower 
that will join the sunflowers
 will be the hydrangeas.
  They dry easily 
and add just 
the right color and texture 
of another kind.





Down the center
 of the dining room table,
 lays the garland mentioned above.
  As the sunflowers dry,
 they and other bits of dried material
 will be added, 
making it a centerpiece 
of the autumn experience 
at the Cottage.






As the garland lays on the table, 
the bits and pieces of summer
 are placed just so
 to form an autumn image. 
 When the eye is satisfied 
with the results,
 a bit of hot glue will be used 
to add them permanently in place
 where they can shine....





...and just like sunflowers 
standing tall beside a garden gate, 
they will conform to the season 
and continue shining 
until the harvest is in
 and the sun sets.


...Judy...






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Right after I wrote that post,
 I found that the kids were 
coming to the Cottage for Thanksgiving.
  Because the pretty garland
 would take up 
too much space at the table,
 I moved it to
 the parlor mantle...





...it fit perfectly there
 and we enjoyed it
 throughout the rest 
of the season.





Valentine's Day 
is on the horizon
 and I thought it would be fun
 to re-create the garland
 for that purpose.





Since I never did glue
 the sunflowers,
 hydrangeas and Chinese Lanterns
 to the garland,
 it was just a matter of replacing 
those flowers with 
dried roses and peonies
 that I have gathered over time, 
some from the garden 
and some from grocery store bouquets.
  Along with the addition of 
a pink silk ribbon,
 it is a perfect combination 
for a bit of 
Valentine's cheer.










We don't do much 
in the way of celebrating 
Valentine's Day 
outside of hanging a few hearts 
here and there...






...so it seems perfect
 for a...



"Little house, so very small




(and with the addition of a romantically inspired garland)


Just big enough for love
That's all."

Author Unknown








...Judy...



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






That was then...





This is now...


Kai says,
 "I never slept with a blanket
 in my whole life, 
then the Birdie came and 
now I have turned into 
a whimp!"

Winter is still here.



Sharing today at:



and




13 comments:

  1. That floral Valentine garland is outstanding Judy. I love it. I also love your ornament head snowmen. How clever you are! I haven't done much decorating this winter, been busy, busy, busy with other stuff around here, but your post makes me want to fluff and rearrange my decor. Hopefully, I'll get a little time to do it soon. Until then, I'll just be drooling over yours....xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dried flowers so this post is right up my ally! The dining table garland is so beautiful. I haven't had much luck in drying peonies, is there a trick to it? The idea of doing something like this for Valentines' Day sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you clever! Those snowmen are awfully cute and your mantle is perfect for the season (actually both mantles were!). Lovely, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I just love your rose and peony garland! That is absolutely beautiful!!!

    I loved the sunflowers but the roses just zap my heart.

    Enjoy each day and thank you for sharing. I get inspired by visiting you.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy,
    I LOVE the snow men!! So cute!!! Your Valentine's garland is so pretty!! Just perfect for the holiday!! And what a sweet pic of your fur babies......So cute!!!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Flowerlady Lorraine.. I was loving the sunflower garland, but when I saw all those pinks! wow! I sat up much straighter and saved the picture to my "wish" folder for my mantel... if we ever get one! Just love all those dried flowers and pretty pink ribbon.. and that verse about the small house big enough for love... just darling. I just got all of my Christmas decorations put away (finally)........ so don't know if I'll do much for Val. Day, other than put a red tablecloth on the table and maybe a lace doily... and maybe some flowers... and........ well... your post was very inspiring.. if I had a mantel, I would maybe fancy it up with beautiful dried flowers! Your snowmen are darling too of course. Love everything you do! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sunflower centerpiece is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sunflower garland is awesome. I love the snow guys you made too. You have the best decor for each holiday. Happy Thursday Judy.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning, Judy. Your floral piece on your mantle is beautiful. How wise of you to save your dried roses, etc. to use again. Can't wait to see some sunflowers blooming somewhere in my yard. The squirrels usually plant the seeds for me. Has been very cold here with some snow and more cold to come next week. I, too, have left some of my snowmen out for a while. Love yours. I'm keeping all of the dolls, snowmen, Santas, etc. that I've made.......the rest are going to the consignment shop. Have a wonderful weekend. See you next week. Hugs,
    Charlotte in Va.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Judy,

    What a great post! You are so talented at crafting. I love the snowmen, and the second one is definitely my favorite. I love the way you fixed his little scarf with the button in the middle. :D

    Your dried flower garlands are magnificent!! I managed to dry some hydrangeas for the first time this past fall. I think your Valentine garland is my favorite, probably because I adore pink. Thanks for sharing your lovelies with us, Judy, and have a good weekend!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, sweet Kai! Can't blame him for curling up with a blanket :)
    Brr.. it's winter here still too, though with the end of January hours away, I'm feeling quite happy to be a month closer to spring!

    Love that garland and as always your home is so inviting, and you are so creative!

    ~Warm wishes.
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post and such beautiful craft work through out ..I love the dried roses.... and the chicken and sunflowers are so very bright and gay ... Your talent for decoating is so very inspiring ..Thank you for sharing the creativity.... ENJOY your day ...Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy