Sunday, December 15, 2019

THE SOUNDS OF CHRISTMAS - PART 6 - A CHRISTMAS COTTAGE TOUR - 2019












I promised someone
 I would showcase 
the master bedroom and bath 
way last spring 
when the Secret Garden was presentable,
 but the garden was kind of
 neglected this year, 
so it never came to pass.

  What better time than Christmas 
to keep a promise?





I know 
you might find it hard to believe 
that I could enjoy a 
calm and serene Christmas space,
 but let me show you one
 that offers only a simple and...


"SILENT NIGHT"

Joseph Mohr and Franz Xaver Gruber
The world premier was performed on Christmas Eve, 1818 in Austria



"Silent Night
Holy Night









This room is very small
 and we are not able to have 
more than a double bed 
so - comfy, cozy are we,
 but that's another song.






This is a new bedspread 
which I thought was so beautiful
 when I saw it 
on the website of Antique Farmhouse, and 
I still do think it very pretty, 
but every time I walk into the room 
I see those ruffles and
 they look like something that needs to be
 fluffed and straightened. 
 I am a person who 
always has to be smoothing out
 the couch 
after it has been sat on. 
 Don't know 
how long it will last!








Plus the bed,
 there is barely enough room 
for two dressers...





...a stove,
 which is our second source of heat
 for the Cottage, and
 works very well in keeping that 
comfy, cozy feeling...





...a small painted table 
as my nightstand and 
a tiny hall tree 
that serves as 
the Captain's nightstand.





Because the room is so small 
but has a high ceiling,
 I decided to emphasize that fact 
by using a dark and busy wallpaper
 with a darker paint color on the ceiling.
  It also lends more 
of a masculine touch
 to the room.





A patterned carpet 
that is very different from the wallpaper 
but in the same color scheme.  
I really think it is fun 
to mix patterns together.





In order to offset the darker colors,
 we painted all the trim 
a bright white and,
 like most of the windows in the Cottage, 
there are lace curtains.


All is Calm
All is Bright





The master bath 
is almost bigger than the bedroom, 
which is the reason 
we chose this part
 of the Cottage 
as the master suite.






When we bought the Cottage
 there was a make-shift closet
 in the bedroom 
where the stove now stands. 
 We enclosed part of the back porch 
to make a larger closet 
off of the bathroom.







We added this vanity,
 which we purchased from Costco,
 when we remodeled the bathroom.





We are fortunate to have
 the original footed tub.  
It was in pretty good shape 
but we did have it resurfaced.





We found some old wainscotting for sale 
and installed it around the room 
and the companion wallpaper
 to that in the bedroom.




This room was done
 about twenty years ago and 
ate up the last of our budget at the time. 
 I had wanted 
a black and white tile floor 
that was comparable to 
the age of the Cottage 
but the funds didn't allow for that 
so we had vinyl flooring installed. 
 It was supposed to be temporary
 but it has held up so well and 
is so easy to clean,
 we still have it.





Sleep in Heavenly Peace
Sleep in Heavenly Peace."






It won't be long now 
until the big day is here.
  
I will see you 
in a day or so 
for the Grand Finale of 
The Sounds of Christmas. 

 Hope 
you will join us 
then.



...Judy...





P.S. Just a short note to let you know that I am leaving my thank you's at the bottom of each post under your comments to me. Something is really messed up and it is the easiest way to do it. I'm sorry, but hope you will come back to see it as I will thank everyone always.


Sharing today with:


and

14 comments:

  1. Judy,
    I LOVE your Master bedroom and bathroom!! What pretty wall paper!! Funny but we too have our bed in the corner and it is only a double bed as it was Joe's Great Grandfather's...We could not fit our mattress and box springs on it because back then,they did not use them...We had to take it to a welder as it is a metal bed to have another foot added to it so we could fit the mattress and box spring on it...Love your tub but unfortunately, My tub days are done because of my knee replacement...I am stuck with showers now.... Everything you shared is just so charming....Thanks so much for visiting and for your sweet words...
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. We first did the bedroom 20 years ago and I have never changed anything. I just don't get tired of it. The colors are very restful for me. I will only get in that tub if Jerry is home. The hot water is so relaxing that I'm afraid my old legs won't work getting out. I think it will be the shower for me before too long..Merry Christmas..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Oh, Judy - your home has such vintage antique CHARM! I think I could spend hours and hours looking at all you've done to make it so warm and so special. (Not to mention how I would LOVE to soak in that sweet bathtub of yours!!!!!)

    I hope you are enjoying the peace and wonder of the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michele. I really love my home and have fun with it, but an old house is really a lot of work so don't know if it will last forever! That tub is really wonderful but if you read above, it will probably be the shower for me soon..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Oh Judy! Your bedroom is just glorious! I've always loved flowered wallpaper in a bedroom. It is SO cozy and warm and welcoming! Love the white pops and I do love that ruffled bedspread! Just darling. My hubby and I would be hard pressed to try to sleep together in a double bed! We have a king, and sometimes I feel that is too small. I don't know what we'd do. I've had tiny bedrooms in the past when it was just me, and I loved them so much. Tiny and cozy, and just room for my bed (queen), a dresser and a white wicker chair! The little "fireplace" adds so much charm.. and wow, your bathroom is gorgeous and fun, with the hutch in there and that pretty vanity and the french door. I love it all! I have a little difficulty getting out of a tub now, but still use ours now and then.. but mostly.. showers are for me now. I suppose getting in and out of that tub keeps you in shape??!!! Hugs... Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. I love the wallpaper in that room and never get tired of it along with the carpet. You should try sleeping in a double bed with two dogs also! Isn't easy but we manage, like I say, comfy and cozy! Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be taking showers very soon. I won't get in the tub unless Jerry is home..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh Judy I love love your bedroom and bath. That bathroom is awesome!!! I can see why you love it. I love your bedding too on your bed. So pretty.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. I never tire of that room. I know it must seem busy to some but I find it very restful. That spread is growing on me. The first time I made the bed after putting it on I thought I would be fussing with the ruffles all the time, but it stayed pretty good. Guess I'll keep it for awhile..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Hi Judy! Oh, my goodness! Your bedroom and bath are just gorgeous! I just love how you decorate your home. The white bedspread is so pretty. Your bathroom is like a dream. I would love to visit you and see your lovely home in person. I just may want to stay awhile.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Shelia, I would love to have you come and stay for as long as you wanted. It is kind of sad that we make such good friends blogging but are usually so far apart it would be hard to meet in person. The little bedroom was worth getting the large bath..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. I like that bedspread, how beautiful! I like wallpaper and I want to hang some now. I think that silhouettes are just so perfect for a bathroom. Love your display.
    We have so many things on a list to do for 2019. I need to add wallpaper as another.
    Hugs, betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Betsy. You could say that I love wallpaper too. Sometimes I think I have a bit too much of it, but I never tire of that bedroom and bath. It is very restful for me. I haven't even started thinking about what needs to be done but that is for another year!..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy, the more I see of your home, the more I love it. You have such an amazing eye for detail and design. You're lucky we don't live closer, I think I'd come to visit and never leave!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, Kim. I wish we did live closer, I would love to have you for a guest..Merry Christmas my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy