Friday, December 13, 2019

THE SOUNDS OF CHRISTMAS - PART FIVE - A CHRISTMAS COTTAGE TOUR - 2019












Have you ever tried 
to find a designated Christmas carol 
for a kitchen? 
 Sure,
 there are a lot that mention food and 
I did find a cute ditty that said 
mama was fed up with getting no respect
 for her work in the kitchen, 
but none of that made sense to me
 until I found a poem
 written by 
Paul Stookey, in 1973.






The kitchen is known as 
the heart of the home and 
since I've got a lot to show you and 
this is quite long, 
I will just show pictures of
 our Christmas kitchen and 
let the words of this beautiful piece
 speak for themselves. 
 To me 
this signifies what
 the heart of Christmas 
is all about.






"Christmas Dinner"
Paul Stookey, 1973




"And it came to pass on a Christmas evening
While all the doors were 
shuttered tight




Outside standing,
 lonely boy-child
Cold and shivering 
in the night




On the street, 
every window
Save but one, 
was gleaming bright




And to this window 
walked the boy-child
Peeking in 
saw candle light




Through other windows 
he had looked at
 turkeys, duck and geese, 
cherry pies




But through this window 
saw a grey-haired lady
Table bare and 
tears in her eyes





Into his coat 
reached the boy-child
Knowing well 
there was little there





He took from his pocket 
his own Christmas dinner
A bit of cheese, 
some bread to share




His outstretched hands
Held the food and 
they trembled




As the door, 
it opened wide
Said he,
 would you share with me 
Christmas dinner
Gently said she,
 come inside





The grey-haired lady
 brought forth to the table
Glasses two and 
her last drop of wine




Said She,
 Here's a toast to
 everyone's Christmas
And especially,
 yours and mine




And it came to pass 
on that Christmas evening
While all the doors were 
shuttered tight




That in that town, 
the happiest Christmas
Was shared 
by candle light".





Thank you for joining me and 
I hope you enjoyed 
our Christmas Cottage kitchen.

  Watch for Part Six, 
the master bedroom and bath 
coming up very soon.



...Judy...






Sharing today with:



and

16 comments:

  1. Loved the kitchen tour. That lit ginger house is amazing! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janice. That started out life as a ceramic green and white house. I painted it to hopefully look like gingerbread and I just love it..Happy Sunday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Thank you Judy for sharing your beautiful Christmas home with us.I felt your welcoming heart to your readers. God bless you and those you love in this season of celebrating Our Savior's birth. Shelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your very sweet words, Shelia. I love sharing my Cottage with all who are interested to see it and there is no better time than Christmas. Have a wonderful Sunday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Judy. Haven't chatted for a while, but am enjoying all of your posts. Your Christmas decor is heartwarming and cozy. I love all of your special pieces that add so much to the spirit of Christmas. Your home is lovely and I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, healthy, prosperous New Year. Looking forward to next weeks blog and pictures. Have a great weekend. Charlotte in Va.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlotte. I am glad to hear from you. Things have been going a little differently because I was so far behind so am posting more often than once a week, but that will change again after Christmas. I'm glad you are enjoying our visits and look forward to hearing from you again..Happy Sunday.xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Love love love it all Judy. So many memories as I scrolled through the pictures. Those vintage cookie cutters bring back many memories of making cookies with my grandmother. Beautiful post today.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. Christmas is the time for memories it seems like. Those little cookie cutters are fun to look for when out thrifting. They just look different from the newer ones and will conjure up a memory or two..Happy Sunday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Judy,
    I loved your Kitchen as I knew I would...So many lovely things...And the poem was wonderful...Almost made you feel like you were transported there with that boy-child, knocking at the door...Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful home and your beautiful heart with us, my friend!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Deb. You always have such kind things to say and I appreciate all of them. I loved that poem when I first saw it and thought it was fitting for the kitchen and the spirit of the season..Happy Sunday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Judy, your house is a Christmas wonderland. Thank you for sharing all the pretty with us! I love seeing your decor...all the red makes me smile! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. We certainly are two red birds of a feather. I'm so glad you are liking everything as I am with yours..Happy Sunday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Oh that poem.. it's so touching and brought tears to my eyes. My mom always made the kitchen and dining area the "heart of our home". I tried to do that for my children when they were younger, but have really fallen off the wagon the last few years. Your kitchen is just wonderful and so warm and inviting. Remember? my parents' kitchen floor was just like yours in their 1950's house! The red "brick" look linoleum, and her kitchen and dining area, though smaller, was very reminiscent of yours, with the Santa cookie jar, mugs, tins of cookies, greens across the ceiling beams, and always the smell of something baking! The poem is touching and sad, as I know there are so many in this world who don't even get to celebrate any sort of Christmas, or a Christmas dinner or anything. Thank you so much for sharing! xoxo Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marilyn, I just love this comment. I thought the same thing when I first saw this poem. I do remember that you said your mom's floor was the same as ours. I am so torn about putting in a wood floor in the kitchen. This one has been so practical through all the dogs and moving of furniture across it and that it has been neglected like no floor should ever be, that I just can't make a decision. The only thing missing in my Christmas kitchen is the smell of baking and now that I am mostly through with decorating it is time to start. Hope you are having a good day my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this poem Judy, and it's just perfect with your gorgeous photos. The kitchen is where everyone ends up and I have so many memories of mom in the kitchen. Oh, how she would love visiting your happy holiday kitchen! It's just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jeanie. It is a little late getting this back to you but just know that I appreciate your friendship so much and your kind words always..Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy New Year, my friend. I have the same memories of my mom and my greatest regret is that she isn't here to see my Cottage, she would have loved it..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy