Tuesday, January 21, 2020

OUR PERCEPTION OF WINTER...













It is winter and winter is cold. 
 There are no 
if's, and's, or but's about it.  
However, 
if we put mind over matter, 
we can change our perception of winter
 and make it seem much warmer,
 and more welcoming,
 than it really is.





This painting is 
pleasant to my eye. 
 What could be more pleasing 
than a little cottage in the woods? 
 But with all that snow around it, 
I just wanted to shiver
 when I first looked at it. 
 At closer inspection,
 my eye picks out the
 impression of smoke above the roof
which gives the feeling of warmth 
within the cottage. 
In actuality, 
it is only a water stain,
 but with that small event,
 the perception of a winter scene
 is changed.






A tidy home 
is very important to me and
 when this throw is folded neatly 
over the back of the chair and
 a pillow is added, 
it shows that this corner 
of the room is 
exactly that...





...but if that same throw and pillow 
are rearranged and
 a book and hot cup of tea are added,
 it gives the appearance of 
warmth and comfort and 
the perception that winter 
can be changed into 
a comfortable space.






This is an unusual angel. 
 She is made to hold a candle and 
is tall and stately. 
 She stands in the corner 
on a stand, 
in front of a pair of long shutters and
 against a basic painted wall. 
 On the whole,
 a bit of a 
cold and impersonal vision...







...but when a string of wooly pom poms
 are draped behind and around her, 
some greens are added at her base and 
the candle is lit, 
it transforms the way 
in which a winter offering 
can be viewed.






A sweet snowman pillow 
looks cold 
even with the addition of 
a bright, sunny floral accent...







...and while there is only 
one little square of 
true sunlight 
shining into 
the Cottage...







...it needs the 
soft, contrasting touch of
 another color
 to take away 
the hard edges
 of winter. 






A very sad event 
has happened at the Cottage. 
 Our little kitchen stove has given out.
  It works fine
 when first turned on in the morning 
but after a short while
 the heater element stops working and,
 even though the flame is still visible,
 giving the impression of warmth, 
it no longer keeps us warm and cozy. 
 We have ordered a new one and,
 hopefully,
 it will be here
 in working order 
by the next time 
 I post.





This one 
will go back into the guest room, 
where it was originally. 
 It should still be able 
to give our guests 
a bit of warmth upon rising. 
 The new stove  
is a bit different and 
I am hopeful 
that it will brighten up the space and 
still add to the charm and warmth 
of the kitchen.





I picked up this 
bright little assortment of flowers 
at Michael's 
for a display in the dining room, 
once I get the Christmas 
that is covering the table put away. 
 It is the only bit 
that I have left to do, but
 I am still 
not stressing!






 Very small ideas 
can be responsible for 
changing our perceptions
 of almost anything and 
help us remember 
that this too 
shall pass.


I hope 
you are all keeping warm
 this winter.



...Judy...







WOOHOO,

the 49er's are going to 

the Super Bowl!!!



Sharing today with:


and

32 comments:

  1. Warm hugs to you Judy. I always love walking around your beautiful home. The flowers and candles give us a feeling of warmth. The little fireplace heater so cute. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susie, and I am always glad to have you walking around my home. We haven't received our new heater yet, so hope it works out..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Your home looks so warm and cosy. Does your stove burn wood? I love wood heat. Although I have electric heat. I bought some flowers at Michaels also. Even if they are artifical, they brighten us up in these gloomy months. Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Thelma. No that is just a little electric heater but I love the realistic flame and it is great for heating up one room. Our kitchen is at the back of the house which backs up to a very high hill so we are in a cold little valley of sorts and the stove does really well in keeping the kitchen warm. You really have to love the little colorful faux flowers. When we can't get fresh ones they are the best to add a little brightness to our world..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Loving all of the cozy pictures! It is in the teens tonight, so perusing your photos was a warm delight! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janice. I'm glad I could brighten your day..I would have to have a whole lot of warm delight if our weather was in the teens. We really haven't had any frost after the little bit of snow that we got so we are in the 50's thereabouts..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. What a delightful post, Judy! isn't it amazing how we can change our perception with just a little tweek? Your photo's are lovely. Your home is filled with such warmth, and joy. Thank you for sharing.
    Debbie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie. Sometimes it is hard to see the forest for the trees, as they say, but there usually is a way around it. I appreciate your kind words..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. I love your cozying the cottage. It's really beautiful and you make an excellent point. I think I need the tea right now! I adore that gorgeous angel. It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanie. It is really cold and dreary here right now so am trying to warm it up some..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Yes.. .cold winter whites can be stark, unless we add a little color or the warming light of a candle or fire. Love all your photos and the little additions you have done to make things seem a little warmer and more welcoming. Too bad about your heater... I'm sure you'll be so glad to get another! I would LOVE one in our bedroom! but just no room for it, so broke down and got us one of those radiator type heaters that heat oil.. it takes up less space and is on casters, so can roll it around. Our bedroom has no heat so when it's in the teens or single digits here, we need a little something to keep the room from dropping below 58 degrees! We are dry right now and no snow expected.. but the surrounding hills have snow on them.. so pretty to look at, and that's all I want to do.... is look! Have a good week! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. We do have heat in our bedroom and in the sitting room but the little kitchen stove is all the heat we have in the back of the house so we really are missing it right now. It is cold and dreary out, no rain or snow. The new stove is supposed to be here today, but nothing so far. I don't mind a little bit of snow or rain, but I don't do well in the dreariness..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Love your cage angel and candle. Beautiful. Go 49ers!!!
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris. I got that angel from Pier One a few years ago. She has a different look and I love her. I am not a football fan at all, but as I was typing the last of the blog, I heard the TV say that so thought I'd add it in. Even though I am not a huge fan, it is good to hear a home town team do well.xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Hi Judy! Mind over matter - definitely needed in winter! Love all your sweet vignettes, especially the cozy winter scene picture. I haven't been visiting lately, but hoping to get back to commenting and blog posting soon. Can't wait to see your new fireplace! Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane. It is good to hear from you but sometimes it is hard to find time to do all that we need to do. I know! Still having some dreary days here. I am not a good winter person. I can't wait to see my new fireplace either!!..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. liebe judy,
    ich besuche heute zum ersten mal deinen blog,es ist sehr schön bei dir.Bei uns in Germany ist es auch sehr kalt, ohne schnee.deine Ispirationen zur decoration sind sehr hilfreich.Danke dafür.
    Ich werde deine blog bald wieder besuchen .

    Liebe Grüße aus Heddesheim in Deutschland(Germany)

    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brigitte. I am so happy to hear from you and want to thank you for your visit. Hope everything is going well in Deutschland..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. I love that picture of the cabin in the woods. I would love to be in one now with a fireplace out in the middle of no where in snow with a couple of books. Look forward to seeing your new fireplace.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy. Unfortunately, we haven't gotten the fireplace yet. I am kind of disappointed in Home Dept for this but we have done alot of trading with them in the past and have had good luck, so hopefully soon. I'd love to sneak away to a cabin in the woods now, too..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Judy,
    Love the sweet picture in the Woods...I always view Winter as a very cozy time of the year....I love hunkering down in the house and enjoying myself by decorating it to make it more pleasing to me...loved seeing all your cottage coziness...I hope you get your new stove soon....Have a great weekend!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. My picture of winter is very pleasing with lamps and candles lit and a fire in the stove. Unfortunately, reality sets in and I am not a very winter person. A little of it goes a long way with me but for awhile it does feel cozy...Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you. Unfortunately our team didn't win, but it was a close game and I really enjoyed half time..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Judy,
    Just wanted to stop by to Thank you for your visit!!! I hope you had a good weekend and are having a good week, my friend!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb, for taking the time to stop by. I always look forward to your visits and I wish the very same for you..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much. I appreciate your kind words..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you understand there's a 12 word sentence you can communicate to your crush... that will induce intense emotions of love and impulsive attractiveness for you deep within his heart?

    That's because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's impulse to love, cherish and care for you with all his heart...

    =====> 12 Words Will Trigger A Man's Love Impulse

    This impulse is so hardwired into a man's mind that it will make him work better than ever before to build your relationship stronger.

    Matter of fact, triggering this all-powerful impulse is absolutely binding to achieving the best ever relationship with your man that the instance you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

    ...You'll soon find him expose his heart and soul for you in such a way he haven't experienced before and he will see you as the one and only woman in the universe who has ever truly interested him.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy