Tuesday, February 18, 2020

SO, THIS IS WHAT CROW TASTE'S LIKE...
















I hope you all had a 
wonderful and sweet 
Valentine's Day.

I want to say thank you to
 Katie at Let's Add Sprinkles 
for featuring my little red stove 
last week and 
another big thanks to all
 who left such kind comments of anticipation
 about the up coming reveal
 of the sitting room.
  
I appreciate you all so much but,
 I regret to inform you, 
that all didn't play out 
as I had hoped and
 here are the reasons, 
without any sugar coating.





Fool me once...shame on you

Fool me twice...shame on me



We've all heard that old adage and 
a few of us have,
 most likely, experienced it.
  
At any rate,
 please let me keep believing
 that is the case. 

 Now, 
let's jump in with both feet! 

My imagination is huge.  
I often have an idea in my head and 
it seems 
oh, so right, 
but as it plays out in real time,
 sometimes not so much!





The scene above 
is a figment of my imagination. 
 It looked so pretty there, 
tucked away
 where it couldn't hurt anybody.

 My vision of a 
beautiful blue and white room 
with red accents and a little black
 to ground it all,
 along side a neutral background 
which is the carpet and the sofa.

  I closed my eyes and 
saw white sheets 
blowing on the line
 with windows open and
  lace curtains 
rustling in the breeze and 
the smell of 
spring in the air.

 (My imagination at work!)

 What could be prettier and 
not so different from 
the way that a 
country cottage 
should look.





Then the art came into play.

 I have had the above antique print forever. 
 It was once a gift 
to my grandfather
 from a wealthy woman that owned horses
 for whom he worked. 
 It was then handed down to my mom and 
later to me.
  I remember it hanging 
in my childhood home 
for many years.  
It has sentimental value and
 I really do love it. 
 It has hung on this same wall 
for quite some time 
after a stint in the library, and
 will continue to do so. 
 I knew I wanted something different 
over the sofa 
than what I had, 
so a journey on the internet 
took place for a pretty piece of art. 
 Everything I found 
was either not the right size 
or color or was too expensive. 
 My last ditch effort 
was to go to Hobby Lobby but
 before that I decided to 
check out some 
thrift stores...





 ...on my third try,
 I found two paintings 
that I loved and,
 as they were the right colors    
I decided to go for them.

 Long story short, 
when I got them home 
I really liked them with the horse print.
  They all have a brownish cast
 that worked well together.
  They were a little smaller than
 I wanted so turning them into
 part of a small gallery wall
 worked out fine. 
The rug was laid down 
and, whoa, 
 that's when my whole idea
 of a charming blue and white room 
went out the window. 
(I must admit, 
although I didn't say anything
 to the Captain,
 on the way home 
I already had my doubts).






What was I thinking? 
 (Feel free to roll eyes here)
 I really can't answer that question, 
so fast forward
 to another day, 
after a night 
of anguish...





...the rug moved 
into the parlor.

 It is a perfect match 
for the wallpaper and 
just the right size. 
I guess my subconscious 
had my back all along 
because I love it in there. 
 You would think 
that it had been planned.

 The sheets can still billow 
even if on a
different clothesline.










But, wait, 
I know you have spotted 
that ugly burgundy carpet 
- you are thinking that I still don't know what I'm doing - 
but that is what
 our next project will be. 
 There is the original fir flooring
 under that carpet and 
it will live again!





Now,
 back to the sitting room.

 I painted over the gray 
on the drawers of 
the chest and...






 ...it went from 
that to this,  
much brighter and lighter...





...now the sitting room 
is put back together and 
the Captain is happy 
that he got rid of that paint 
he didn't like, and 
we are both super happy 
with the blue walls 
(Skinny Jeans by Behr.)  
 It is a beautiful deep jewel tone 
that looks lighter in the photos 
than it actually is.  
It is a very soothing color and 
not at all 
dark or depressing.





If you look closely
 at the two prints 
you can see what looks like 
they are painted on a wood panel
 in the style of folk artist, Warren Kimble. 
They were marked at $10 each and
 we didn't realize 
there was a 50% off sale going on. 
We paid $10 for both
 which made them $5 each. 
They are not signed and 
are printed on a light weight canvas,
 stapled to a frame. 
I am assuming that 
they were mass produced on the canvas and 
just cut to the size of the frame. 
However, 
they are really neat little prints and 
I am very happy with them.

 I have always been drawn to anything featuring a little house. 
 I choose what books I want to read 
if they have a cottage on the cover.  
It sounds silly,
 but I have always been like this 
since I was a 
little girl playing house.





 My original thought for art
 on the walls of the room
 was a possible garden 
with bright flowers and 
a small cottage down a country lane. 
 That was what my vision was, and 
when I saw these two prints 
I focused on the houses.
  If I had seen them first, 
I would have gone
 in a whole different direction and
 would have chosen 
a different color of paint and 
a more casual carpet.






I am not totally unhappy
 with the room as it sits now.
  It is clean and neat and comfortable and
 we are both happy 
with the new paint 
so we will live with it for awhile 
( but just until we get
 the credit card paid off) 
then those new pictures 
might end up in 
the dining room, 
a great match BTW,  
(my subconscious working again)   
and the horse print 
back to the library and 
we will be off 
on another decorating adventure and 
the pursuit
 to perfection.




Do you often have
 to eat crow? 



 Please say 
I'm not the
 only one!



...Judy...




Sharing today with:


and


39 comments:

  1. I really love your blog and your home. Your decorating is beautiful. I love what you said " The sheets can still billow even if on a different clothesline." I may ask to borrow that at some time. I'm in a transition state and can't make up my mind what to do. I just want to get settled with the furkids, and things I love but it's hard to make changes at my age. Your blog is truly inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Constance. You can borrow anything I say or write. I know the feeling of being in transition and afraid to make a wrong decision. I have made so many wrong decisions in my life its getting to be a little easier all the time. If I didn't have to pay attention to the pocket book or answer to my hubby it wouldn't matter. I like change in decorating but sometimes it doesn't always work out so we do what we can and usually it will come together. I'm so appreciative of your visit and that you think I might be a little bit inspirational but the more you try, the better it will get..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Judy, we all have trials and tribulations. Your sitting room looks lovely. Moving things from room to room works sometimes. I still want to meet up with sometime, because we live rather close to each other. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. We will have to do that sometime. It is kind of silly as we do live so close to each other. Thanks for your kind words. It seems though that I don't ever get things right in the first place, or at least I don't know that I do! If we can laugh at our trials and tribulations, I guess we are doing OK..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. I'm thinking that crow looks pretty good. It sure looks wonderful in your home. I really do love the new art and the blue is so pretty -- even if it's in the other room. I'd say you aced it all the way, so bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. Thank heavens the rug worked in the parlor. If not, I would have been in mucho trouble with my better half. He says I jump into things without thinking them out. Why should I if my subconscious has my back?! Someday I will probably run out of rooms though! Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Judy, I love seeing the new ways you rearrange your things. I do like the new paintings you bought. Never get rid of the beautiful lace curtains. I love them so much. Wipe that old crow into a pot pie. LOL. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie. I'm usually pretty happy with the way things turn out but I just wish it would happen on the first try! I do know that those lace curtains are safe though. Even if I did put others up I would still use the lace with them. I am really happy with those little pictures though and they will work out somewhere, that's for sure..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Wipe or whip! I just like seeing them on the shelf, not on my dinner plate!.xxoJ

      Delete
  6. I frequently make wrong decorating decisions but the worst was having two chairs reupholstered and realizing the day that they were delivered that the fabric was the wrong choice - they went back to the upholsterer the next day. An expensive lesson but I knew that I couldn't live with them the way they were. That was a very big crow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Adrienne, that would be a sad bunch of crow! I do love my blue paint color and am trying hard to come up with a scheme. We need a new sofa badly and until that happens (which won't be for quite awhile) I will have to keep playing hide and seek with that old crow..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. I totally get it, Judy. I love decorating and redecorating, but sometimes things don't go as planned for me either. I move things around, return them and start over and over until I get it right. I think you have a fabulous eye and I love those pictures. What a bargain!! I can't wait to see those fir floors. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I love decorating too and even when it goes a little wrong it is fun trying to bring it back on track. If it were just myself involved, a piece of cake, but when you have to answer to "someone" else it isn't always easy. We work really well together but sometimes I try to push the limits..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
    2. I totally understand. Most of the time we work very well together, too. However, we are in the middle of a couch dilemma over here at the moment. If it were up to me, it would've been done already... ;)

      Delete
    3. We do too, Kim, but there almost always comes a time when the waters get muddied! I have to admit though, that I am persistant and it usually works for me!! That being said, I'm just very lucky to have a partner who listens. Good luck with the dilemma..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Judy!!
    You are my decorating hero!!People think I am crazy that I keep decorating my house especially since I have retired...My house is my passion so why would I ever stop and you are such an inspiration to me as my dear neighbor Elly that I mention often on my blog was. I LOVE the rug in your stunning parlor!! It truly IS a perfect match!! I adore the color of the walls in sitting room!! You know me...I am a color person! Those prints are darling and for that price...you can't beat it!! I have been there when I am mid way through a project and think "oh NO!" so you are not alone but I do love the solutions that you came up with. As I said, you are my hero!!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Deb, you are too sweet! I don't mind being a hero but sometimes you should do as I say not as I do, cause I don't always do the right thing! This was certainly great proof of that! I hate my sofa so much and I keep trying to work around it. It is not that old but was a really poorly made piece of furniture. I just have to save some more money and replace it and then hopefully I'll be able to come up with something good. We can always hope! I always say the anticipation is almost always better than the reality.Thank you for your kind words always and hope you are having a good week..xxoJudy

      Delete
    2. Judy,
      I hear what you are saying about your sofa. We had bought Living Room furniture that was too light in color and poorly made. It was the second set of furniture that we had...In about 8 years, it was a mess. We then bought the furniture that we still have. At that time, Joe was working in a silk mill that made fabric for Lazy Boy and he picked out the fabric because I was overwhelmed since we were special ordering the furniture. The set is made by England, a Lazy Boy company, and we paid more than i would have liked to because the fabric was top of the line but lesson learned....17 years later, all 4 pieces still look great and are still very comfy!! I now say that you only get what you pay for....Old adage but so true... Thanks so much for stopping by and for taking the time to let me know that you did by leaving such a sweet comment!!
      Hugs,
      Debbie

      Delete
    3. Thanks for stopping by again, Deb. I know what you mean about furniture made years ago. We had such good sofas that we could afford to recover them rather than buy another. They were made so much better and now, even though I thought we paid alot for this one, it can't even begin to compare. It will be awhile before we can get another so will just have to make do. I guess a whole lot of pillows might hide all the flaws!..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. I don't know why you have to eat crow! I think it all looks absolutely wonderful! Love the parlor with the rug and that wonderful wallpaper! It is so gorgeous. I don't have enough words to describe either room! The sitting room, to me anyway, is just about perfect. I too LOVE prints with houses and/or cottages. I have always been drawn to them. They are just precious and look so pretty above your couch. The blue walls really tie in with the rest of the house and if hubby is happy, then everyone is happy! Right??? hee hee....... we've lived here for 4-1/2 years and I haven't done a thing since we moved in and painted some of the walls. I'm finally getting a little bit of an itch to change things up. I would love more white furniture - ours is all dark brown or black. Oh and I love what you did to the dresser.. really brightens up the room. I'm itching to paint some more and maybe finally get our main bathroom painted! Would love new vanities also. Little by little.. but my passion isn't really decorating, so it tends to just stay "as is"!! I sure love seeing what yOU do though and thoroughly enjoy it. I think you've hit "bingo" with what you've done to change things up. Have a good week! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Marilyn, thank you for your sweet words. I appreciate them all very much. I am happy with everything in general, just not happy about the way they went together. I feel so lucky though, that what I did get I was able to put them someplace else and they worked. If not, I would have been in big trouble! I am anxious to get that old carpet pulled up and we really need a new sofa but that will be some time in coming so I can live with it all for now..You have such a great passion for the crafts that you do so that is where you really shine and that is something to be proud of. Have a great rest of the week, my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new pictures are beautiful and I love the blue walls. Hey you are talking to the queen of change ups so I get it. Sometimes what we have in our mind and even put into play does not always come out the way we envisioned it. I love your family room just the way it is now. Love it all.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris. I knew you would feel my pain! haha! I am beginning to like it too but change (within reason) is too much fun..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Well I have nade decorating mistakes way to much...so you just need to sit back and look at the whole picture and decide if you like it or not. Looks like you found what you liked and it looks so GOOD! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. The more I am looking at it, the more I am liking it, but I'm still looking for another piece of art. I just can't get that "light and bright" thought out of my head..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much, Kinga. Even though they weren't what I wanted, I am happy with them..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  14. In real life crow is a constant diet. My plans are often bigger than my ability to execute them. I like all of your design ideas and I like understanding your process. I don't think I've moved a picture in years, so I'm on the lookout for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much. That is very sweet of you..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much. It is a hard thing to do, but I guess we learn something when it happens. I love to decorate so I don't mind looking for another way to make it work and, hopefully, I will figure it out soon..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Judy! Well, your crow looks very nice! I just love everything you do. I certainly understand a plan that doesn't quite turn out the way we thought. Love your little prints you got and the old vintage horse print is marvelous! Hope you're doing well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shelia. I guess it didn't taste too badly. It will all get settled in the end. I love those little house prints too but am still looking for the "perfect thing" over the sofa. I think they will be pretty perfect in the dining room. I am well, thanks, and hope you are the same..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  18. I love those pictures and I am really like the folk art paintings and some of the prim stuff I see out there. I love how you put things together in your home. I just am not good at putting things together. Like how you just do it and I need to JUST DO IT! I think too much. Love the table in your living room with the tableclothe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Betsy, your home always looks so pretty as does your garden. I love how you spend quality time with your grands and like you say, Just do it! I usually jump in with both feet and sometimes it turns out and sometimes not. Just remember the fun is in the trying..Happy Tuesday my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  19. I'm brand new to your blog. What a happy find. I have to say I would love to be curled up on that sofa in your sitting room with a cup of Earl Grey. And your living room is gorgeous.....that rug, oh my! The dust in my house can wait. I need to surf your blog. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, thank you so much for your visit. I would love to have you drinking tea in my sitting room. I hope you will continue to come back. I am happy to meet you..xxoJudy

      Delete
  20. Darling post. I love it all. The prints are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much, Katie. I am very happy with the prints too. I hope I can find something else to put in their place as I think I would love them in the dining room..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy