Tuesday, May 26, 2020

SUNFLOWER DOWN...












I have been showing you
 the progress being made 
on my paint by number painting. 
 It has been a labor of love and 
I am now done with it. 

 I am not saying
 that an artist's talent is required 
to produce this work of art.  
All that is needed is 
a relatively steady hand,
 a good magnifying glass, and 
a fair amount of time,
 but I am quite proud of it and
 thank you all 
for your moments
 of praise 
throughout the process.






On the left 
is the way the company intended 
the painting to look and 
on the right 
is my version.

 I love the choice of colors
 that were provided with the kit and 
I will take the glowing reviews 
about my ability to mix 
the colors from my own acrylics, 
which was because of a mistake 
that I made early on and 
not because of anything the company did.  
I think I did 
a pretty decent job of that task.
 The darker, jewel like tones 
remind me of an 
old world painting and 
I am was 
quite proud of it.





Each night 
when I finished painting,
 I would set the canvas on the floor,
 leaning against the game table, and 
throughout the evening 
of TV viewing,
 I would look
 at it...






...and look at it, and 
even though 
the Captain, my best critic,
 would say it was looking beautiful and 
then I would show it to you and 
get good reviews,
 that devious little sunflower
 which was the focus of the piece,
 would look back at me and 
deny everything 
that everyone 
said. 
 I could not get it 
out of my head
 that there was something
 a little off.





So, I decided,
 that I would "freshen" it up a bit.
  
I knew I could do it. 
 I knew that I should be 
better at art 
than I really was. 
 I knew that I am a fool 
who believes 
in magic.


"I am always doing 
that which I cannot do,
 in order that I may learn 
how to do it."

Pablo Picasso

Easy for him to say!








Here is my first try at renovation. 
 What are those petals doing?...







...then the second try.
 I kid you not!...







...third times a charm. 
 Not so much!







After too many 
coats of paint to count, 
the final version came to be.

 I had wanted to 
just throw it in the garbage,
 but through all the tears,
 I could still see 
that I thought it was
 so pretty for so long, 
I knew I couldn't do that.

I am nothing if not persistant, 
so here is the
 last try:







Now, 
here it sits 
in its place of honor, 
in a frame too small, 
but one that I had on hand, and 
on the black shelf 
that is once more 
above the sofa.
  After all that, 
I am not saying 
it is perfect by any means, 
but if viewed from afar, 
 it is again gaining favor, and
 soon as some new paint
 that I ordered comes in, 
I will start on
 another work 
of art...








...and this time 
I think I have
 learned to leave
 well enough alone.

No matter what
 the painting 
tells me!







All kidding aside,
 I am very happy with this company and 
its product.
  I am not getting paid to say this 
but I promised you
 all the pertinent information 
so here it is
 in case you, too,
 want to work your own magic 
(with better results) I might add.

www.originalpaintbynumber.com

Each canvas
 (and it is an actual piece of canvas 
that the subject is printed on) 
is 16X20 and costs $11.95 each. 
 I took mine to Ben Franklin's and 
had the canvas put on a board.
  I felt
 it would be easier to paint on and
 it was also a reasonable price. 
 In this particular painting 
that I just finished,
 I am very happy with their colors 
but I did like mixing my own 
to match as closely as I could and 
plan on doing the same 
with the new canvas. 
 It is a challenge to me.

 Thanks for all your kind comments 
that I always receive and 
stay safe, well and, please,
 wear your masks. 
 Now the word is
 to wear
 gloves also.


...Judy...



Thanks so much to Linda for the feature of the Cottage and her continuing conversations with the garden last week.  I appreciate it so much, Linda.







Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity with Life and Linda

and

Keep In Touch with Let's Add Sprinkles

32 comments:

  1. Judy this is absolutely gorgeous. I love the sunflowers and warm summer/autumn colors. you did a great job to make it personalized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Debra, thank you so much. I got tied up in a rat's nest and thought I wasn't going to get out or it and I loved the picture so much and it was so much work. But, now it is OK and I have come to terms with the idea that I really don't know what I am doing..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. This turned out so nicely, and I completely identify with you on the frustrations of painting. I to have often wanted to throw a painting out but it makes me angry when I can't get it right so I persist as you did, and then...voila! it comes together. Right now I have a little still life of a pear I have started but with all of the gardening I haven't done much on it. Maybe this week. When I do I have no doubt that it will be a struggle. Your have every right to be proud of the results of this work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne, thank you so much. I am proud that I stuck with it but I just can't get my hand to do what my head sees. It is frustrating and I keep getting told that I can do it, but I never can get it just right. Maybe I am too much of a perfectionist, I don't know. I do know that I really enjoy the paint by number and I like this company, so think I will stick with them for awhile, and try not to put my two cents worth in. I look forward to seeing your still life. You do really beautiful work..Stay safe and well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Judy, I love the way it finally turned out. Don't you wonder it Picasso ever cried over a painting. You know he accepted mistakes, whose nose is really there on their face? LOL Just kidding around. I do think it is a pretty painting. I have no patience to do even numbered paintings . My children's father and I did these painting when we were young marrieds, couldn't afford to go anywhere. LOL. I wish we had saved them, I honestly do not know where they went. Blessings to you, xoxo, stay safe, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susie, and it is good to hear from you. I was so sad when I messed it up but so much time had already gone into it that I had to finish it somehow. Like I said, it isn't perfect but I'm glad I stuck with it. I did them years ago too and have no idea where they went. If you can find one now in a thrift shop they are pretty expensive. I do enjoy them so will keep going until my eye sight fails, or I have no more wall space, which could be sooner that I think!..Stay well and safe my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. I love this. I'm going to have to look into doing one of these. I haven't done a paint by numbers since I was a kid. Now they have them for adults, like the coloring books...what is happening here??? We're back to what we did as kids! Except for skateboarding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debby. You should do one. It is fun but does take alot of time, I still think it is worth it. Oh, Boy, I couldn't even stay on a skateboard when I was young!..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Judy- You did a wonderful job and it looks great. I have had my share of 'I'll fix it' and it looked worse before it looked better But now- just look at how good it turned out after all. What fun! Can't wait to see the next one! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diana. I am pleased I stuck with it but I was so mad at myself for trying to change it. Won't do that again..Take care and stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Judy it looks great. I am glad you experimented and put a little of your spin on it. With persistence you made it beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing your next painting adventure.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. I'm glad too but a few tears were shed in the process. You will probably be seeing a lot of paintings from me as the way people are coming out of the woodwork around here, not following any rules, is scary so I will be staying in indefinitely..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Well done, Judy. I'm glad you played with it, made it your own. That's what being creative is all about. And the end result is terrific. I like where you placed it in your home. The colors are so warm and welcoming -- it is most certainly summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie, for your kind words and your faith in my abilities. I'm not sure it is warranted but I will try my best to live up to them..Stay safe and well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Judy, I love that you consider this a lesson in painting and got such a great result. Mixing colors is always a learning experience, I love all your changes. I actually have a sunflower picture in my living room...now. It's a print, but I simply love the colors! Have fun, and by now you should be able to do those sunflowers from 'scratch', lol. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. You would think that I could, wouldn't you, but you would be so, so wrong. I still can't draw a stick figure so I am beginning to realize my limitations and will stick to paint by numbers. I do love sunflowers though and can't wait until I get to Trader Joe's for some of the real thing..Stay well and safe..xoxJudy

      Delete
  9. Wow you did a great job even though you did it three times. I would have given up at one or two, LOL Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice. As I said, I am nothing if not persistent. But, I sure got disappointed and wanted to give up numerous times..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Bless your heart, you did a lovely job. How frustrating, but you kept at it. Looking forward to seeing your next one. Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, dear friend. I did keep at it and got something that was far from perfect. I am looking forward to the next one too..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Judy, your own personal touch is always the best! I think it'd be impossible to stare at art that didn't make me smile and I would try to alter it as well. Love your artist eye and your persistence! Hoping you're safe and well. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. My personal touch was not a necessity, although I thought it was at the time. Think I would have been much better off leaving it along. Here's to the next one!..Stay safe and well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Impressive sunflowers ❤ Great job ❤

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a wonderful job on the painting, and you are so artistic and creative that I just cannot imagine the painting looking any better than it does!

    Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

    Have a wonderful rest of your week.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kerin. I should not have messed with it, but it is what it is. I'm glad you liked it..The company has loads of pretty subjects..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. Judy,
    I LOVE how your painting came out!! So pretty!! I do not have a steady hand to paint like that...
    Thanks so much for stopping by!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. I'm glad you like it. My hand isn't any too steady but the magnifying glass was a big help so I could make it better if I went over the lines..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  15. You have a great painting talent. The addition of white strokes around the flower makes the flower image look more contrasting. Good and right idea. Greetings from Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your eye on this..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your painting and it goes will with the mantle décor. Very nice. I have one I am working on and I think I do much need my eyes checked. Harder to see now, especially when the numbers are so tiny. I like the way you have it framed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much, Betsy. I know I need to get by glasses changed and I have to use the magnifier in order to see the numbers, but they are fun to do, I think. Will you be showing what you are working on? I would love to see it. I just happened to have that size frame on hand from years ago. I had painted it blue so changed it to black and added the little gold rim around. The painting just sits nicely in the frame and since I didn't hang it, it works..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy