Sunday, October 25, 2020

HOW TO SPEND QUALITY TIME DURING A PANDEMIC...






SPECIAL ADDITION


Due to possibilities beyond our control,
 this is a special edition of this week's blog post. 
 There is a distinct possibility
 that our power will be shut off sometime today and 
not be back on until sometime Tuesday. 
In reality,
 that could mean sometime Wednesday or beyond! 
 We just never know for sure. 
The computer is not hooked up to the generator 
so if you don't hear from me for awhile, 
that is the reason. 
 Enjoy the week and
 stay well.. xxoJ





 

I think we have all 
figured out by now
that spending a day during a pandemic 
can be one of two things.
 
 It can be either 
a day that just moves quickly by 
or it can be
 a day that leaves too much time 
on your hands and 
too much time to think about 
all that you 
are missing...







...such as 
how long has it been 
since you have seen or hugged your kids, 
how long has it been 
since you got dressed up and 
had someplace to go, 
or how long has it been since you just
 got  dressed!






I have a little secret.
 
 Something that takes up
 a lot of time, 
something that keeps 
your mind occupied, 
something that you can 
put as much time and energy into 
when you want to and
 something that really 
makes you feel pretty good
 about yourself 
when you are through.






That something is 
a paint by number art project.
 
 It is so easy
 that even someone with 
no artistic ability 
or someone with
 a lot of artistic ability 
can do.
 
 If your reflexes or your eyesight
 are not what they should be 
 there are compensations that you can make
 so the process is easier.
  Time doesn't matter,
 you can take as much or as little 
as you need, and
 the finished project will be 
something that will surprise you 
more than you ever
 thought possible.






Once you have finished a painting, 
you can have so much fun
 playing around with 
where you want to put it,
 trying to have art imitate life, 
as I have done with this one.
 
 You can order the kits 
already on a stretched canvas,
 which costs a little more, 
or just stretch the canvas yourself. 
 Or as I usually do, 
take the canvas to a craft/framing shop and
they will put it on a foam board and 
for $12 at my local shop
that is the way I like to do it. 
 I am too far from Michael's
 but I imagine 
they would do that too.








All the kits that I have seen,
 and there are numerous companies
 that offer them for sale over the internet,
 are 16x20 and 
the costs run around between $20-$30. 
 This includes all paint and instructions.
  What I have been doing,
 since I have 
many bottles of craft acrylic paints on hand,
 is mixing my own. 
 I just look at the paint
 that comes with the kit and 
then mix my own paints to match.
  They are not always perfect 
but I find that 
there is very little difference
 in the end project and 
I think my acrylics 
give better coverage.

  No matter how you choose to do it,
 the finished picture 
is really a work of art.
  I find that
 viewing the painting from a distance,
 like you normally would,
 looks no different to me 
than one done by
 an accomplished artist.










I need to get a frame 
for this one I just finished. 
 With the others I have done, 
I have used the same frame, 
just exchanging the pictures
 as I want to change up my decor,
 as they normally go 
in the same place, 
but if you want to use them 
in a different room
 then you will need more than one frame.
 I am on a quest to find 
an outlet for some cheaper frames. 
 Ones that I can paint or stain like I want.
  Frames can get pretty pricey. 
 If you are able to use the same frame 
it is also easier
 to store the paintings 
when not 
displaying them.






I have set up this display
 in the kitchen,
 but it won't necessarily stay like this. 
 I had hopes of hanging it
 in the kitchen window and 
doing the rest of the display 
on the table,
 but without a frame 
I can't do that yet.






So there you have 
one way to spend quality time
 during a pandemic.
 
 If you want to have something 
to show for all that you feel
 you are missing during this time, 
take up a paint brush and 
complete a beautiful work of art 
that you will be proud to say 
you created, and 
you don't have to tell anyone
 that you did it all
 with dirty hair and
 no makeup!






In the beginning,
 before I set it up in the kitchen,
I had planned 
on putting this new painting 
in the same frame as the others, 
but it evidently was cut 
a bit too small and wouldn't fit, 
so I just slipped a little piece of wood 
under it and 
you almost can't tell 
that it isn't actually in the frame.  
See,
 the possibilities are endless
 when you take up a 
paint by number project.


Stay smart

Stay well,

Vote

and

Wear the mask.



...Judy...





 
Sharing today with:




27 comments:

  1. That's wonderful you have a hobby you love and enjoy, I know of others doing the same thing and sharing on next door. Its a lovely piece for your cozy house! My endless passion is the garden coupled with audio books, two hobbies that never wane with endless choices! I walked my garden yesterday and took hundreds of pics, as you know we lose our power around 3 today, they said up to 70 mph wind, I just wanted to capture my flowers before striped clean! Wishing everyone safe times, may we all come out unscathed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. There are numerous things that a person can do that they enjoy and when the times are just a little out of sync than those hobbies and crafts will be put to the test. I have a pot of bean soup finishing up on the stove so we will be set if it gets too cold. We are lucky to have all gas for heating and cooking(except the oven), we just can't turn the blower for the heater on but it seems to give off enough heat without it for awhile. We have the generator hooked up to the TV, some lights and the frig and coffee pot, so we will be as cozy as bugs in a rug..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Beautiful painting and yes it can be trying visiting with friends and family in this pandemic. Wish it was over already. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. We just got our power back on last night. Hope you are enjoying the week..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Hi Judy,
    I am so happy you have found a sweet little hobby with the paint by number. They all so far have come out so nice. I think we all are finding ways to keep ourselves occupied as we are homebound. I have been reading more than I ever have had time for in the past so that is a good thing. Happy New Week. With those high winds approaching I hope you do not have your power shut down and more fires. Prayers. Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. Any hobby is a good thing to keep our minds in good working order. We just got our power back on last night. Wasn't too bad this time with the generator, except for all the unsightly cords running around. I guess we had higher winds during the night but I didn't see them. Haven't heard of any fires yet. Just another happy reason to live in California!..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Judy, your painting is wonderful. I love the way you have styled it with other details. Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah. I am having fun with the paintings. Keeps me busy and out of trouble. I am awaiting delivery of the pretty place mats..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Hi Judy... I'm sorry you have to keep losing power.. but so glad you have a generator! We don't have one so if we lose it due to winds or a storm, then we are just stuck with candles and blankets to keep warm, and eating cold food! I love your paint by numbers.. they come out so beautiful and I love how you display them.. good idea to try to use the same frame! I wish I could get my hubby to give it a try.. he used to be very artistic but says he's not anymore... but I know it's there inside of him! I spend my time crafting or sewing so always have something to occupy me, or I read or crochet. Always lots of fun things to do! I think it's time to take up the crochet hook.. I usually don't crochet during the summer months, but when Fall (and now winter here!) hit.. I love to crochet gifts for family and friends. We hit 17 degrees last night so I guess winter is here... though the days are still going to be warmish. I always love your posts! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. The power being out this time wasn't too bad. We just got our week's groceries so we hooked up the frig to generator this time. Sounds like you are getting some cold weather now. We are colder at nights, definitely quilt weather, but still fairly nice during the day. I know that you have lots to keep you busy so that is good. I have crocheted before, made an afgan, but don't think I remember anything other than the chain stitch, it has be awhile..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. I really do love this one...I have so many other projects grabbing my attention, I never paint anymore. You are right, anything that takes you out of one's head is a good thing. I made pumpkin butter----LOTS of it...which killed two days, lol. Hugs, and you are right, will be ever look in the mirror again? Wear makeup, check our jeans/slacks for spots...LOL. Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. It is good to have projects and I saw all the pumpkin butter you made. You know, I can't seem to care what I look like, although the hubby probably would like to see something different..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. I think your painting looks great.

    Stay safe and well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jan. It is a fun hobby for me, but I do have to make better use of my time..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Beautiful Judy! You know what a huge fan of paint by numbers I am. I need to order a new one. We're fresh out of things to paint! Stay well! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. I am having fun with them. I am working on a new one that I got from a different company https://getpaintbynumber.com/product-category/marine-life/page/2/?fbclid=IwAR2-y16aCDp4LhfD70_mYIxc0XSjWWLK7mqH723K5UN1Ob9UL0VzchDNemU
      You might be interested. They have different ones than I have seen before, more folk-art I guess you would call it. I think they are cute. They are about the same price as others but on heavier canvas than I have seen on the ones I have been getting. Really nice to paint on..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. The main things I miss aer the kids. I am enjoying your number painting -- but I hope you don't forget what a gifted artist you, yourself, are. I'm thinking of your brilliant Santas and I know there are more paintings like that (but different) in you! The good thing about covid, if there is one, is time to explore new things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I miss our kids too. They want to meet up with us at a half way point between all of us and bring our lunches and masks. I am thinking about it, I know you have done similar, but Jerry is dragging his feet, so we shall see..I always appreciate your faith in my artistic ability. I might get something else going..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. I have not let this pandemic keep me away from my family, church or dining out but I do miss not being able to shop like I want to. The stores close early and dressing rooms are locked. I can not wear a mask for a long time either, making my shopping trips for necessities only.
    Your paintings are beautiful. I would love to do one.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lisa. We haven't seen our kids for quite awhile. They are all working and busy out and about and they don't want to bring anything to us. These are sad and scary times and we are older, but I do miss shopping too! Those masks are a real pain to wear, I think, but a necessity these days. Wouldn't it be wonderful if a vaccine was ready, but will be sometime yet, I'm afraid..Stay well and thanks for your visit..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kinga..Thanks for the visit and stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Such a difficult time to live a normal life. Wearing a mask all the time. Dressing rooms are closed. A lot of restaurants are closed.
    Love your painting Judy. I see you are keeping busy. Stay safe and Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. Things are quite different, that's for sure. We do what we can and hope for better times and things..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. That is a great painting. Love it. You obviously have some artistic ability.
    I've been a little busy this year with my health but have got out when things were opening up around here.
    Love the idea of painting numbers to pass the time.
    Thanks for sharing yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carla. I love those paintings too, but I really don't have that much artistic ability. I can count, though, so that makes it easy!! Hope your health is improving, but as soon as more things open up then the counts go up, so I don't go anyplace..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy