Tuesday, January 5, 2021

WELCOME TO WINTER...

 






Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas

 filled with comfort and joy. 

 We have all been looking forward to

 a better new year than the last one. 

 It won't take much to make it better,

 but it will take much, much more, on our parts, 

to make that "better" happen. 

 No matter what we think

 we want 2021 to look like, 

without all of us pulling together, 

it could just possibly look like

 more of the same,

 or worse.





The cold weather is definitely here. 

 We have not been fortunate enough 

to have that first snowfall 

but it is knocking 

at the door...





...and that means that

 the cold weather folks 

come out of the woodwork...




...and as I am not entirely ready

 to let go of Christmas...




 ...I only had to remove some extra filler

 from the parlor mantel garland and 

some shiny bits and pieces and 

change up the Christmas candles,
 then it was easy for them, 

and their little snowflakes,

 to infiltrate the landscape.





I painted a small little soul

 to bestow his blessings 

on this winter season.

  He sits around with

 a few of his 

winter inspired friends and

 a garland full of snowballs

 that, hopefully,

 will bring some smiles to our faces

 while we are facing the long 

winter ahead.




Hopefully, 

we can spot some bright bouquets around the Cottage

  during the visits from the Snow Folks

 and that will be enough 

to keep us looking forward

 to brighter times to come. 

 Until then,

 a pitcher of pretty white faux poppies

 will suffice.





Until next time,

 I will hopefully respect

 that Old Man Winter will be kind to all of us and

 that while two worlds collide within our comfy Cottage,

 the spirit of Christmas will still remain 

the view that is

 in our hearts.


"Christmas is forever, 
not for just one day,
for loving, sharing, giving,
 are not to put away
like bells and lights and tinsel, 
in some box upon a shelf. 
 The good you do for others
 is good you do yourself."

Norman Wesley Brooks





I have to show you 
what Tami and Tim gave us for Christmas. 
 Now, I know that most of you 
roll your eyes when you hear 
that I am just enthralled with new technology, 
especially since the "new" object we are talking about 
has been out for probably at least a few years!  
If it weren't for our kids 
we would still be living in the Dark Ages! 
 
They gifted the Captain with Alexa and
 wow, is she quite the invention. 
We are having such fun
 asking questions of her. 
She is a great and thoughtful gift and 
we couldn't think of 
a better choice...






...and my gifts were 
these beautiful books.
 They know me so well.
 The hard cover tells of the 
meanings of flowers in the Victorian times,
 and the non-fiction
 is the story of a young girl 
who spent her life 
in and out of foster homes and 
how the language of flowers
 helped her through
 a very difficult time.
 I love them both.





Jake and Jacenda 
gave us President Obama's new book 
which we are reading aloud 
to each other and 
the darling coffee mugs
 with our names on them.
 Another thoughtful and special gift and 
just the right choice for us also.

We are so thankful for our kids.




One more thing I have to tell you about. 
 Are you aware that Discovery Plus 
started streaming yesterday?
(Are you not impressed when I use, or even know,  the word, "streaming"?)
 If you are not,
 you really need to check it out.
 It costs $4.99 with commercials and $6.99 without.
 I figured you could fast forward through the commercials 
so we signed up for $4.99.  
You can't, 
but the commercials are much shorter and not a constant like on regular TV
 so I think the $4.99 price is just right.
  The reason I wanted to sign up for it
 was that Magnolia Network (Chip and Joanna Gaines) is there.  It will show a variety of different shows,
 all done with beautiful photography and fascinating characters. 
 So far, we have watched a couple of them and it is fantastic.
 The regular broadcasts will start in a while
 but for now there is plenty to see.
 It is so well produced
 just like you would expect from the Gaines.
 The coming shows look spectacular and
 I think it is well worth the price.
 You can get it for 7 days free trial now.
 Check it out and 
see if you don't think it is a good deal and
a worthwhile enjoyment 
for the times now 
when we have to stay in. 
 Discovery is a great channel anyway and 
now with the streaming 
you can watch favorite shows 
all the time instead of only
 once a week.



Stay Smart

Stay Well

And

Wear Your Masks.

You don't want to be the one that a hospital won't have room for.
 
Start listening to the medical professionals and stay home! 
Now that we have a vaccine,
 give everyone and yourself, 
a chance to have it work for them, and
 if someone says that 
the numbers for this virus
 is all an exaggeration
 (I asked Alexa how to spell that) 
don't believe them! 
 It is hard to imagine but, 
that is just one of many untruths 
that seem to suck in so many people.





I would like to express
 my continuing thanks to all of you
 for your friendship and love throughout this past year. 
There have been some highs
 (and frankly, for me, that
 means being alive)
 and a lot of lows.
 May this next year be a better one in all respects.

 Thanks to all of you and blogging,
 I probably can say 
with a great amount of certainty,
 if it wasn't for the fact that 
I feel the need to impress all of you
 (as you do me) 
I would be living in a messy house and
 most likely would be in my pajamas
 all seven days of the week. 
Whenever the dogs see me dressed
 they do a happy dance
 because that could only mean
 we are going for a ride
 in the car!

 Raise a glass to 2021, 
may it be kind to us all.


...Judy...




Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda

and

Keep In Touch at Let's Add Sprinkles

24 comments:

  1. Hi Judy. Gotta love Alexa. I ask her every afternoon to play soft music and she plays some of the nicest music to relax by. She is great for so many things and that was a great and thoughtful gift. Love seeing all your sweet snowmen. I was glad to get my Christmas down too. I do miss the sparkle of the tree at night but it was time. Let's hope this year is filled with more love and less unrest and this virus war is won. Happy New Week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks so much, Kris. We are really enjoying her. She is the greatest baby-sitter for Jerry when I want to be on the computer! Our tree is still up but we don't turn on the lights, so will come down soon. Time went by too quickly but glad it is the new year and hope it is so much better..Stay well..xxoJudy


      Delete
  2. Judy, I laughed and then I cried when I read about the dogs being happy about getting a joy ride in the car...me too girl. I long for that now. Your home is so very pretty . I think you are becoming a modern lady now what with that Alexa doodad. There will be no keeping up with you now. LOL. I still agree with you Judy about how we need to really stay hunkered down. Let those vaccines start helping before taking our masks off. God help us. Blessings to you and the Captain. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susie. I agree so much with you and hope that life will get brighter in the new year..Stay well and safe..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. A lovely post, I enjoyed seeing your pictures.
    I do like the words from Norman Wesley Brooks.

    And yes let's raise a glass to 2021, (or indeed a cup of tea/coffee) may it be kind to us all.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jan. I thought that was a lovely little poem and we have been having sparkling cider with our meals over the holiday and I think I will continue it. My hubby doesn't drink and I don't like wine that much so it is a good substitute. Happy and Healthy New Year and stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post. So cool you read Barack's book out loud.
    Home looks so warm and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Renate. We are enjoying the book. When we are on the road we often read books aloud so the time passes quicker, but since we can't go on the road now, we do it at home..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. I am more in love with your snowman pillow than you can possibly imagine. It's beautiful art on it and I love the colors. Speaking of art, love your new piece, which is darling on the mantel with your other snowfolk. My Santas came down yesterday and the snow people will come up today. Slowly taking down the "obvious" Christmas (the big tree will come down this weekend, if not before, but I'll keep a couple of trees up to share their light for awhile during these dark days. Happy New Year, Judy. Be careful out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I love that pillow too and you are right about the colors. That is one of the "cheap" pillow covers that I ordered from Amazon for just a couple of dollars. I haven't seen it lately so don't know if it is still available. I am slowly putting away some Christmas but still have a lot to do. We haven't turned on the tree lights so guess it is time to take it all down. Jeanie, I can't leave a message on you blog for some reason, but know that I do read every one..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Oh Hi and Happy New Year
    I am going to get back into reading your blog more often. I really fell off the blogging wagon since last March LOL
    I'm enjoying all your pictures also
    Talk Later

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice, I am glad you are back and you are welcome anytime. Hope your Christmas was a good one..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Happy 2021 to you, Judy. I love all your sweet snowmen...the perfect segue from Christmas to Valentine's Day. You got some lovely gifts and your newest piece is just so cute. I put all of my Christmas away but have a few snowmen out, too. You have a much nicer collection than I do!
    I hope you and your hubby have a safe and blessed 2021. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diana. I hope the same for you and your hubby. We all need to be so careful. I still have some Christmas up and am trying to get on the ball and do more. I'm starting out 2021 very lazily!..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Happy and healthy 2021!!! I just love your winter decorations. They are happy. Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lorraine. I am still putting Christmas away and taking my time. There really isn't much else to do. I wish all the same things to you my friend..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Your house looks so cozy in the snow! You are higher up than we are if you count on snow yearly, been here for 3 years and only saw it once, but it was glorious, 6" 😍 Love your books, I am an avid reader and have read all 3, great selections. Nice to visit a happy place, been in shell shock for 24 hours, I needed beauty and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, boy, I know what you mean by shell shock. What a horrible thing to have happened. Please deliver us from all of this turmoil!! We live just below Nevada City so we are about 2400 feet. We do (almost always) get a scattering of snow each year but we can never count on it. I love it because it isn't too much. I'm glad you feel you are visiting a happy place. We do try!..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Winter looks just lovely in your neck of the woods, Judy! I still have my tree up, I'm just not ready to let of the sparkle. Santa has been packed away, but the lights and trees remain. Stay safe my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim, and goodie, I am not alone!! We left the lights on the tree turned off after New Years, but last night I just couldn't help myself, I had to turn them on again. I am working on putting stuff away but will leave the tree until the very last. I just don't feel like I want to give up the sparkle yet..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kinga. Happy New Year to you..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Judy,
    I just adore the Snow folk that have come to visit your home!! All so sweet in their own right!! Your home always looks so warm and cozy....Great gifts too...Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. To be truthful, I didn't leave the snow folk out for very long this year. This was a hard winter for me and I just wanted to get rid of it as quickly as I could..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy