Tuesday, June 22, 2021

THE SUMMER OF CONTENTMENT...

 






Well, my friends, 

summer is here, 

and I feel like a cat on a hot tin roof!  

I'd better be careful using that explanation 

because I really don't remember

 what the movie was about, 

but the title sounds perfect for the way I am feeling.

  I'd much rather be

 that bird, sitting on that turtle, in that pond.





Things have been heating up around here.  

We have been in 

the high 90's and 100 degrees all last week, 

and the 4th of July is

 breathing down our necks.





I did a very small bit of decorating for Memorial Day

 so the red, white and blue has been hanging around 

waiting for the big day. 

 We actually have awhile until the holiday 

so there will probably be a bit more done

 but I don't think there is going to be much 

celebrating around here this year

 which is fine by me.

  The thought of going out 

is a bit much in this weather. 

 If I can muster up some porch sitting

 that is all the party that I need.





Speaking of porch sitting, 

the front porch is the perfect place to be

 in the early morning. 

 It is still cool enough to enjoy that first cup of coffee 

and to get those old rocking chairs a-moving

 doesn't take much effort.  

The scent in the air 

from dew on the grass

 is greatly appreciated...





...in the late afternoons, however, 

with the dappled sunlight coming through the shade trees, 

the screened porch is a welcoming place.  

We can still hear the neighborhood kids playing, 

and the dogs barking in the distance, 

but secluded there, as we are, 

behind the green of the ivy

 and the tangled secretness of the garden...






...we feel like this 

is almost as perfect as

 being that old bird, 

sitting on that old turtle, in that old pond.





We are hopeful that the pandemic is slowing down, 

although there are still some variants out there that need careful consideration, 

and a good double dose of vaccination.

 Things are starting to open up again,

I have come to the conclusion that staying home is 

not such a bad thing. 

 I look forward to a nice drive in the country, 

or a trip to Home Goods

 and, of course, seeing our kids and friends 

whenever we can, 

but I guess it is like the old saying,

 "You don't miss what you have until you don't have it", 

but now that we can have it again, 

I find that the contentment of home

 is still a pretty good feeling to have.






"I know a little cottage

Where everything's just right;

The windows bloom with tulips -

At dusk there's candlelight.

The knotted oak beside it

Is webbed with ivy leaves

And honeysuckle tangles

in clusters round the eaves...





...the friendly gate swings open

Against a low stone wall

Where quaint old fashioned blossoms

Design a Paisley shawl;

And up the winding pathway

The stones with moss are grown -

I love that little cottage

Because it is my own!


Virginia Wauchope Bass





Happy Summer Days everyone 

and hope all you dads out there

 had a wonderful Father's Day and

Happy Juneteenth!



...Judy...






Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda

25 comments:

  1. Love all your red, white and blue. So pretty. Summer is upon us too. Today it was beautiful a light breeze blowing and only 75 degrees. Just a great day to sit outside under a tree which Buddy and I did for a little bit this afternoon. We had some pretty wicked storms over the weekend so this is a nice couple of days after the storms. A tornado went through the town where we had our first home and raised our girls. So many neighbors and friends had so much damage. Thankfully no one hurt. Just sad to hear it went through and affected our friends. The weather has been so unpredictable so far this summer. So happy to have these few nice days now. Have a great rest of your day. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. I heard on the news about the tornado. What a shame but glad no one was hurt. We had rain yesterday, believe it or not, but such a little bit that I'm sure it didn't count. Cooled things down, however, today supposed to reach high 90's. Enjoy your nice days, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Yes summer is upon us too.. full force! Was 100 yesterday and in the mid 90's a few days before that.. and upcoming week hot too! I got most of my flowers planted outside (in the heat.. now that was dumb)...... even some new strawberries.. and have purchased 4 larger blueberry plants that we need to get in bigger pots. Your Secret Garden is such a wonderful place.. I'm trying to make an area of our back yard into a nice little green and shady spot for us and it's looking good. Now we just need some soundproofing from our neighbors right next door! They are 5 kids and 4 barking dogs that always bark anytime we go outside to sit and relax by our fountain!! (the dogs bark, not the kids!). I'm still grateful though for our own little cottage.. I love that poem.. I want to print it out and frame it! Take care and love all your patriotic decorating... and your porch looks wonderful for a cool afternoon lunch with tea! hugs... Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. I didn't get my zinnias planted this year so am kicking myself. If I get to the nursery I will try but probably won't be anything left. Your little green spot sounds lovely. Luckily the neighbors on the side of our porch don't have any animals or kids so we lucked out. Our dogs do bark when the neighbors come out but they mind pretty well so stop when they are told. Isn't that the sweetest poem? I just love it and probably have used it before but I don't remember. Our porch gets the hot afternoon sun and even with the tree shading it still is pretty warm on a very hot day, but as soon as it starts getting darker it is heaven and NO bugs..Happy Days..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Judy,
    I saw that you posted and I got excited!! I so look forward to your posts...I chuckled when I read that you think staying home is not such a bad thing...I am right there with you!! You know that i love being able to finally stay home after working for 40 plus years...I have enjoyed every bit of it and now that I am considered fully vaccinated, I am not even excited at the prospect of going out somewhere...I do want to return to attending Mass even though I have watched more Masses online in the past year than I attended in probably the last 5 years...It was great being able to hear homilies from some of our former priests...I think after being home for so long, I find it strange to think about going out....Weird, huh?? Love all your photos and that charming poem!!! I am enjoying my gardening this year....Stay safe, healthy and happy!! And thanks for visiting!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. No, I don't think it is strange at all to not want to go out. I really do feel that way too. When all this first started I was on the fence about how wonderful it would be to be able to go out and it hasn't changed. I am happy to stay home in my own little bubble and do just what I want to do. Which isn't much, evidently. I still have rooms to clean and stuff to put away but I just seem to have gotten so lazy. That is a huge down side to all this!..Happy Days..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Me again!! LOVE that tablesacpe on your porch!!! So charming and delightful!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, Deb. I love that sea green color with the red and added the blue and white. It normally wouldn't be colors to match but I thought it pretty good for the holiday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Hi Judy! I have to agree with you that staying home has become quite nice. It has definitely slowed our pace and I am not complaining - although I will admit it has been nice to get out a bit. Love all your pretty and summery Americana touches. Can you believe it is almost July 4th? Have a beautiful rest of the week Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. I am enjoying staying home, maybe because I know I can go out now if I want to. But, I don't seem to want to very much. It probably is an age thing. When I do go, I see a lot of younger people out and about..Looking forward to a quiet holiday..Happy Days..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. This is a post of enchantment, Judy. Those flowers are so very pretty on your table. I like our new pace and hope I don't clutter it up too much now that things are more open. I'm still being very careful with masking in stores and such -- I don't care what they say! But more relaxed around small groups and vaccinated people. Your home is a lovely respite. It's been terribly hot here too, until a couple of days ago. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I will always be very careful about who I am around without a mask. I feel that the new rules, just wear a mask if you are vaccinated, can be very deceiving. Even if you could point blank ask someone if they were vaccinated, I would be leary that they would be truthful. One thing that has come out of all this for me is that I am not as trusting as I once was. No one can take care of you better than yourself..Happy Days..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos and commiserations....as my dearest old friend would say. We have cooling now---and finally rain...supposedly we will catch up to yearly totals after this week. Hugs, and enjoy that porch and love those ruffly red placemats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandi. We had some rain the other day and it cooled things down a bit. I love summer storms but don't have them very often in our part of the country. I have had those placemats for quite a long time and still love the ruffles around the edges..Happy Days..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Very pretty photos and always love your darling home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Bernideen. I'm glad you enjoy it. I feel the same about you and hope you are enjoying summer so far..Happy Days..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Your home looks lovely and so festive. Love the turtle. It has been hot. Thanks goodness for the delta breeze. Happy summer Judy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. I appreciate your kind words and I don't think the delta breeze made it up this far yet!!.Happy Summer Days..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. I love your photos....and the 4th of July decor! Our heat always comes late...usually August-September....usually. However, this is no ordinary year..so we shall see....Here in so Cal....our 4th is often foggy! Love your garden and all....
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much..I moved away from Santa Cruz because I didn't like the fog, and sometimes there are just times that we regret that move. You are right, this is no ordinary year..Happy Summer Days..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy, your home is so beautiful. I would be tucked in for a good long time and loving every minute of it!! xxoo Stay cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. Tucked in is a good way of putting it!..Happy 4th my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Your posts are so cozy, like slipping into yesteryear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jain. I guess there really are some good things about growing older. If I could be remembered for being cozy that would make me happy!..Stay cool..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy