Tuesday, October 19, 2021

GENERATIONS, REVISITED...

 






Once upon a time, back in 2015, 

I wrote a post (here)  about a few generations of my family. 

 My great-grandmother was one of the featured players from 

my Dad's side of the family. 

 If you weren't following me then 

you might want to travel back in time 

to read about it. 

 If you did read it before, 

a repeat might refresh your memory,

 or at the very least,

 help to make sense out of this post today.





This chair is what started 

the thought process back then. 

 It has moved around many times since,

 but now sits in the entry. 

 I can still see Grandma Susie sitting there,

 putting on her slippers, 

only now that grandma is me.





This parlor stove was a big feature then,

 as it is now.

  It has been in my possession 

for about 60 years. 

 We have used it on a front porch,

 on a patio filled with geraniums, 

and sitting in the corner of our dining room in our last home. 

 It now sits in the Cottage's parlor,

 as it did all those years ago

 in my great-grandmother's.

  It is one 

of my most treasured possessions.

  I would love to know all the stories

 of all the toes it kept warm 

and what role, if any, it may have played 

in the house fire

 that took my great-grandmother's home. 

 It must have such tales to tell.





She may have warmed Susie's hearth
 but her name is Alice.




I would have loved to have

 a roaring fire in Alice, 

especially at Christmas time, 

but the fire box has been destroyed 

and there are so many cracks 

that even in its heyday

 it must have left the house

 filled with smoke. 

 I have put candles and little lights in it to give the appearance of a warm fire,

 but it just didn't seem

 satisfactory to me...





...until I saw this ad in the

 Sturbridge Yankee catalog. 

 It was small enough to fit inside the stove 

and I assumed that the "logs" would just show an orange glow, but thought it might work.



 

 I was so surprised 

when it arrived and we added batteries

 and turned it on 

that there are very

 real looking little flames 

that come from the logs just like

 the little red stove in the kitchen.

  It is just the most darling sight.





I will admit that I couldn't wait

 until Christmas to use it. 

 For $27 it will give me great pleasure 

for some time to come.



In the above collage, on the left,

 my dad

 who must have been about 12 years old,

with my great-grandmother, Susie Allred,

and, on the right, would be me!

 I have been thinking about

 my great-grandmother a lot lately. 

 Every time I look in the mirror 

and see my Covid inspired head 

(I haven't been to the hair dresser for about 1 1/2 years)

 I see visions of her in myself. 

 She was a tiny woman and a very fast walker. 

 My most vivid memory of her is when she would try to "escape" 

(she must have been in her 90's)

 to whatever place 

was in her mind at the time 

and she would flail her walking stick at whomever was trying to stop her! 

 From all accounts,

 she was a woman to be reckoned with!




 Our fence was covered with morning glories about four years ago.

  They kept coming back but eventually they bloomed themselves out 

and we haven't had them 

for at least two years.  

But, I guess

 morning glories, like generations, 

have a strong nature of perseverance 

and this lonely little guy 

showed up in the middle of the lawn 

this past summer.





I know you have seen this view before,
 but I came to do it just by accident. 
 As many times
 as I have photographed each separately (parlor and entry)
 I had never taken them from this angle
 (from doorway of guest room). 
 It seems to tell a story to me,
 so you will be seeing it
 many times in the future.

I hope you are staying warm 

these autumn days. 

 Our weather, though still sunny

 during the day,

 has chilled considerably

 and the nights are calling 

for that extra quilt.


...Judy...


Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda


24 comments:

  1. I am like you. Haven't had a hair cut in about year and a half. Waiting to get my booster shot and then go.
    Love your beautiful home. Where did you get the lights for the stove?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Renate. I am not too excited about getting my hair cut. It is down just passed my shoulders and I don't enjoy looking like a hag, so I wear it pinned up. I don't go anyplace to show it off anyway!! Waiting for the Moderna to come out to get our boosters. I ordered the little lantern from Sturbridge Yankee catalog. www.sturbridgeyankee.com, item #62050, Glowing Mini Fireplace. It is really cute even by itself on a table..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. I like that fire place insert very much, now your heirloom parlor stove has an orange glow of fire in it. That insert was such a good find by you. How old is your stove? 100 years? Your house has a lot of charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Terra. It is too cute and it has a very warm feel to it. I don't know for a fact but I think the stove is probably at least 150 years old, maybe more. I'm so glad I have it..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post...memories are so strong, and can pop up form visuals, scents, music or just a random thought. I love how you wove these into your post. The stove is adorable and the lights will make it so enjoyable for the winter months. On the hair, I'm about half gray now---having skipped some coloring (I do it at home) of blond to find that I'm half white now in the front. Such is time...and recognizing yourself in your ancestors is part of who we are---! Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. I stopped coloring my hair about a year before Covid came around. I like it the more it gets gray. I wish it would be all white, I have streaks. I don't mind the length, I never did like to sit in the beauty parlor, so this is as good an excuse as any, I guess..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. HI Judy! Oh, what a wonderful story filled with memories! I giggled a little thinking about your little grandmother walking so fast and feisty with her cane! I love seeing all of your treasures and your stories that go with them. It's finally cooling down here and I'm loving it.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sweet Shelia..I'm glad you enjoyed it. I can see her as clear as day walking down the dirt road leading to the main road and my grandfather (her son) trying to reason with her and that old walking stick swinging back and forth 90 MPH. He must have had bruises all over him!..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Hi Judy,
    Ok first of all how awesome is this stove. Love it's shape and detail and those sweet feet. OMG I love this piece so much. What a great heirloom to have. The faux fire you bought looks real in there. What a score on finding that piece. It all looks so beautiful, warm and cozy. Have a great week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. I feel very fortunate to have the little stove. I love it and the history behind it. I have been looking for a little electric fire to put in it, but it is so small that there isn't much out there. When I found this little lantern I thought it would work and it did. I am ready for Christmas!!..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. I love your parlour stove. I have one but not as nice as yours. I had it outside now for about 10 yrs. I had a large piece of tin made to cover the top so the rain wouldn't get in and rust it. I use it to make fires in it to burn some papers, instead of shredding. Also when the Grandkids come, we toast marshmallows etc. When it is in use, I remove the tin on top. I also had a long stovepipe made for it and it looks great. I'm happy you can use your inside. Your home is beautiful decorated as usual. Take care. Thelma xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Thelma. How fun that you use your stove. We have never tried to build a fire in it and we have had it in the parlor for years just because it is about the same age as the house, so it seems to belong here. I bet the grands have a great time coming to Grandma's house!..Hope you are enjoying autumn..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. I'm glad I'm not the only woman in the world who has Covid hair still. Mine is looking pretty long and raggy and I'm thinking about a big venture to get it whacked off. But we shall see. I love your flames and will be looking that one up. I like that it's battery operated! Tanks for the recommendation -- it looks so very cozy. And I loved the walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. My hair is down a little past my shoulders and I really do look the part of the Cottage Witch if I don't put it up, but I kind of like it and I can just finger comb it and stick the "claw" on it and that's as good as it gets. The little lantern is really a cute little thing and looks so cute just on a table. The little flames are perfect..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Your stove is so pretty and I love the flame...it looks so real!!! Your grandmother sounds like a great woman...cane and all.
    Have a great weekend!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Des. I was so young when she was alive but I do remember a few things. I'd give anything if I had more memories of that time..Thanks for your kind words and Happy Friday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Great post!I am delighted with your home! It has so much warmth and charm. Extremely cozy place :) I was delighted with this fireplace. It creates a great atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. It is something that I really enjoy doing and love when others enjoy it..Happy Friday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Very sweet story Judy. You do look like your Great Grandma Susie. Your parlor stove looks lovely. Such a warm and cozy cottage. Happy weekend Judy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda.. I seemed to favor my Dad's side of the family, so maybe so. I know our hairdo's are very similar..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Always love my visits here, was stopping by to see how you faired with a foot of rain! Wildest storm I've been through, hope you came through unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much, Jain. I always love to have you visit. We did all right. I was reading your post this morning and it sounds like you had a spectacular one. We didn't get the thunder and lightening, just the rain. But, since our roof didn't leak we are OK..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely staying warm in my part of Texas. With any luck it is going to actually cool down to 70's and 80's during the day but the nights will be in the 50's YAY.. Your story about your Great grandmother taking off for parts unknown except in her mind made me think of my grandmother. She thought nothing of grabbing her purse and walking to the next town, 25 miles away. She never learn to drive. It wasn't until other relatives called my Mom telling her about the walks in Missouri. It soon became a problem because she couldn't remember where she was going. Loved her to death. She taught me to sew.
    Love your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carla. My great-grandmother lived on the same property as my grandparents, so she never made it all the way up to the county road. If she had, I hate to think where she would have gone. I guess she must have felt safe with her walking weapon in hand..Your grandmother must have been another strong woman..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy