Tuesday, October 12, 2021

THE AUTUMN KITCHEN...

 






If you were to go through my cupboards rooms, 

you would find a story as old as time itself. 

Too much stuff and no place to put it!  

I am not a hoarder, 

at least not as defined

 in the well known TV series, 

but I do like to collect stuff

 and to that end, I do a great job!

 The getting rid of stuff is where the problem comes in,

and it certainly doesn't help matters 

when a good size storage place 

goes out of business, 

so to speak...





...now it wasn't your typical storage place, 

it was our motorhome.  

We got rid of it and, believe it or not, 

all that clunking and tinkling as we 

drove down the road 

wasn't loose fittings - 

it was cabinets filled with

 glassware, china, 

and a lot of pretties...





...you see, 

I don't like using paper products 

as far as eating and drinking goes,

 except maybe on an occasional picnic, 

and that goes double

 when we were on "vacation".




All the cupboards in the motorhome 

were filled with 

pretty glassware and dishes,

 none expensive because 

when I am on "vacation" 

my joy is spending time at

 Home Goods, Ross's or thrift stores

 along the route 

where I always managed to 

find a few things!





Nothing was more fulfilling to me 

than relaxing, sleeping and dining 

in a pretty space.





But, what happens when that space 

no longer belongs to you

 and you might be a bit of a "gatherer",

 and you have to unload

 all that stuff?...





...we looked at each other and 

He said: 

"Remember that old

 pantry/pie safe cupboard 

that we have had forever

 out in the garage"?

  She said: 

 "But, that is so ugly 

and where would it fit in the Cottage"?




So, as collectors often do, 

we dragged that old derelict cupboard

into the kitchen 

and, by golly, 

we made it work.




There aren't too many walls in the Cottage 

equipped to take on

 an old derelict cupboard 

and who needs an eight foot window

 in the kitchen anyway? 

So it took up residence.  

With a little bit of paint 

and a wire to hold it straight, 

and a bunch of pretties 

to camouflage the rest, 

I now have a place to put 

my seasonal dishes, 

and that freed up room in other places 

to put all the extra stuff. 

 Where there is a will,

 there is always a way!






I have been a long time follower of

 the Susan Branch Blog. 

 I love her style, her spirit and

 her kind and generous soul. 

 I also love how she

 punctuates her words 

with her illustrations. 

 It is all pure magic. 

 In her latest post 

I learned something that I wasn't aware of. 

 Evidently there is a fast moving

 new trend in decorating going around. 

 Her description of it, and I quote:

  

"It's a world like your grandma's house 

where life is more whimsical and magical

 in an imagined past full of good things". 

 

She gives it the name of

 Granny Chic or Cottagecore. 

 While I have been decorating like this

 for a long while,

 I am so glad that it has caught on...

It is speaking my language!





So now the kitchen is dressed for fall 

and the project I told you about 

has been accomplished. 

 Remember, I said it wasn't a big deal, 

only something a bit old and sweet

 so I hope you aren't disappointed.  

Come along on the tour at your leisure. 

 You have seen it enough times by now

 that no words are needed:













We have had this cupboard 
for about 40 years. 
 It looks to us that it was
 a homemade piece. 
 It is made of redwood and the stain 
put on it made it very dark. 
 We always thought we would do
 something with it 
but all those years ago 
it was not a good thing to paint old wood 
so it got lost in the shuffle.

The original cupboard

 had screen in the doors. 

 It was shredded 

so we replaced it with

 two faux tin panels.















Another little inexpensive thing 

we have added, 

gives a bit of ambiance

 to the kitchen at night.

  I know most people use these little under the counter lights for task lighting,

 but I am only here for the pretty

 and that's what they do for me...



...they are so cute

 and I ordered them out of a catalog

 for just $13 for six.





You have heard me say before 
that I am not a fan of LED lighting, 
but I added some lamp light into the mix 
and they don't look as harsh and cold.

Who knows how long they will last, 

but they will have done for me

 just exactly what I expected them to do.





Now I have managed to fill

 a few rooms with autumn 

and I hope that you enjoyed seeing them. 

 There is still time to 

sit back and enjoy them 

before everything changes again.  

I might not like to admit it

 but you know that is going to happen 

and I am already fantasizing 

about seeing a gingerbread house 

under those little lights.





Hope you are having

 wonderful fun filled 

autumn days.


...Judy...






Tea for two
 in an autumn kitchen.

Sharing today at:


30 comments:

  1. Wow Judy! I can tell you're in your element decorating for Fall! I love the old cupboard.. you worked your magic on it. I love white or off white. I have several that are all dark and would love to paint them (or have someone else do it). Cupboards are just wonderful.. they hold so much fun "stuff" for us to use and just gaze upon when we so desire. And really, a white background works best doesn't it? Love the faux tin ceiling tile also.. I thought it was old! I too love Susan Branch.. have loved her for years and her artwork.. and now her blog.. I have two of her books (about her life) which I adore. I still need the third one of her finally landing spot at Martha's Vineyard. Their big old house is so Granny Chic that's for sure! My house has always been Granny Chic... ever since I was in my 50's... as most of my "stuff" is from my mom or aunt. Now you do have plenty of time to enjoy the Fall decor.. don't think about that green and red holiday yet! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. I'm glad you liked it all. I do love to decorate and always have as my mom did before me. I have still got a few rooms that are "door closed only" that I have to get to. I have one of her books and need to get her others. She is so talented but seems so down to earth.. I hope you are enjoying the fall and, I'll let you in on a little secret. I start thinking about next Christmas the minute this one is over. I can't help it, but I am enjoying fall this year..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Oh, Judy! I just get lost in your beautiful posts! I love all of your pretties for Fall! That's funny about Susan Branch as I love her blog too and just read about the Granny Chic! I think that's a lot me too! Hope you're off to a great week!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shelia. That is funny. I think there are a lot of us ladies of a certain age (although I think everyone is younger than yours truly) has been doing that for a long time. I find since blogging that I am more open to different styles than I was before. How can you help it when you see so many beautiful styles, but "granny" anything is where I live!..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Love love love your fall kitchen. That cabinet from the garage reloved into the kitchen is beautiful. Oh loved your interior of the old camper. So cool. Enjoy your fall decor. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. I really had fun decorating the kitchen this time for some reason. I do miss my motorhome. It would have been the perfect way to get away during this pandemic, but we just weren't using it so now some others can enjoy it..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Hi Judy,
    I just love your "new" cabinet. It looks perfect in the kitchen. Your RV was so nice but I understand we all have to part from things from time to time. I am also a huge Susan Branch fan and so was my mom. Just love her and was so excited to get the new Willard this past week. All your fall decorating looks so nice. Can't wait to see everything dressed for Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynda. The "new" cabinet is working out quite well and I'm glad we found a place to us it. I do miss the motorhome, but we weren't using it, so now some body else can enjoy it. It was too nice to just let sit and go to pot..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Judy, I love peeking inside your decorating world. It's always beautiful...and I'm so excited about cottagecore, too. My kids were the ones to tell me about it, apparently it's been a big thing on TikTok and Tumblr. Also, I love your mobile home. You traveled in style lady!! I bet you miss it...lovely!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. I had heard the word cottagecore in someone's blog but I wasn't sure exactly what it meant. I was glad that SB spelled it out for me and I am so happy to hear it. I do miss our motorhome. It would be the most special way to go now with the virus. We would have to go to grocery store and gas station any way so it would be a pleasure and not just something that we have to do. But, now, a new family can enjoy it so we have paid it forward. We had a lot of fun with it..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Fall is my favorite season and so fun to see all your darling additions! Great redo for extra storage too! I'm with you, always need a home goods fix but just to busy outside to do anything this last month, we lose our nid water this Friday and I'm desperately moving iris and planting until the last minute, then I just have to pray for rain! I still want to share iris with in in a couple of weeks if you are interested in any 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jain. I love fall too, it is almost as special as Christmas! If I had a garden like yours, I wouldn't get anything else done. With my back not improving much, I can't do any planting or bending (and hubby's is almost as bad) so I can't take you up on your generous offer of the iris. Anyone would be proud to have a piece of your beautiful garden and I thank you so much for thinking of me..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous post...I was hoping to work some of my 'stuff' into the greenhouse, but it seems every inch is covered with plants most of the time...LOL. And, GrannyChic...I can get on that train, hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. It is about time that our decorating voices are heard! You have lovely stuff in your greenhouse so you haven't any reason at all to feel hopeless..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. We are kindred spirits. Not hoarders. Collectors. With lots of stuff and cabinets! I follow Susan too -- but I didn't remember the Granny Chic. That's pretty perfect. I love seeing all your pretty things, all the nice touches. The cabinet is great and I'm so glad you found the right spot for it. I do love a good cabinet! Big autumn joy to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. The cabinet doesn't look as bad in the photos but it was pretty shaky. We do have to bolt it to the wall for fear the weight of the dishes would be too much for it. It still isn't perfect but it does the job..Happy Wednesday my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. I've said it more than once, I love your beautiful cottage, but my favorite rooms are your kitchen and eating area. So pretty and so cozy. That cabinet is nice all fixed up and the added storage is definitely a win-win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I always appreciate it when you visit. I have always loved fixing up a kitchen in whatever house we were living in. I never was much of a cook, although I enjoy it more as I've gotten older, but I did always enjoy the kitchen. The cabinet isn't perfect but it is doing its job..Thanks for the visit and Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. looking so pretty for fall Judy. The kitchen is so cheerful. I bet you love that extra storage. Fall is a lovely time of year. Take care Judy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. I am enjoying the extra storage. It is so much easier just going to one spot to find something instead of all over the house..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Your kitchen all dressed up for Autumn is perfect!! Loving all the fun fall goodness, and that cupboard is amazing. I love homemade furniture and painting it white is even better. Everything looks cozy and homey. LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much,Debra. I got excited when I saw your beautiful white cupboards so I took the plunge. I am happy with it but it can't compare with yours..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. A feast for my cottage-loving eyes, Judy! Everything is so sweet and pretty. Love what you did with the old cupboard, too. Even your motorhome was cute and cozy! I love all the fall colors. It's like a warm hug. xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen. It is kind of fun having a little of something new to play with. We loved our motorhome but just wasn't using it anymore so now it is someone else's time to have fun..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Hi there and I want you to know that antique toy car on top of the cabinet caught my eye right away. I love those vintage toys. I always try to get them if they are reasonable and usually they are not. The cupboard is perfect! I have windows cutting up rooms in my house that make it hard to place furniture. I think I shall do the same with a book case in the den with this long set of short windows. You have such great ideas. Thanks for sharing all of them. Your motor home I think I could live in full time. It's so cozy and I love how you have things arranged and decorated. Happy Autumn!. betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Betsy. That car was our son's. He was a speed demon at about the age of 3. It used to be bright turquoise blue. The cupboard doesn't seem to cut out too much light but it was the only place to put it. We loved our motorhome and at one point I did think about living in it full time. It was 33 feet and had 3 slides so it was quite roomy. I am going to miss it..Happy Fall..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. Judy,
    You know how much I love seeing your charming Kitchen!! It looks beautiful all decorated for Fall...So warming and inviting!! I adore your "new" cabinet in the Kitchen and it looks perfect where you have put it...Your table setting looks lovely too I really enjoyed stopping by today and taking the tour of your Kitchen which yo know I just love!! I too have seen that Cottagecore is becoming popular....Nice to know that we will be back in style again!! Styles do repeat every 20 years or so they say!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. It does seem that is the case. I love fall and the colors that go with it. I think I should really have those colors around me all the year through. This time of year is warming and comforting..Happy Monday, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  15. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome! Check it out

    ReplyDelete
  16. Make the most of mainly premium substances - you will find him or her for: How To Clean Your Air Fryer

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy