Tuesday, December 21, 2021

THE CHRISTMAS KITCHEN AT THE COTTAGE...

 








"A baker works quietly in the kitchen, 

preparing holiday treats. 

 Someone tucks a small package beneath the Christmas tree, 

and a child tiptoes to a bedroom window, 

too young yet to know 

that magic comes from inside."


Simple Country Pleasures
Country Living magazine
December, 2002


In the last two weeks, 

we have gathered together the Christmas sights from around the Cottage. 

 If you missed them you can find them  (here)  and (here).  

Today, our journey is almost done 

and we will be greeting a new year,

 but first we have some unfinished business to take care of...






...help yourself to

 something warm and delicious...






...the door has opened

 and you are invited into

 the Christmas Kitchen at the Cottage.


Welcome...
Come in from the cold and stay awhile.






"It is Christmas in the heart 
that puts Christmas in the air."

W, T. Ellis










So many of you have said how much you love my kitchen. 

 I feel the same way

 and when it comes to Christmas it is the easiest and most fun room in the Cottage to decorate. 

 Even though, I absolutely love all the wallpaper throughout the Cottage, 

I think it might be a little easier because of the plain white walls, 

and the red of the flooring

 just lends itself to my accessory color of choice and Christmas.




I know I have mentioned 
our kitchen flooring before
 but I don't think I've told you
 the whole story.

The red brick of the vinyl flooring was a spur of the moment choice. 

 At the very first, when planning the scheme for the kitchen,

 I had chosen a rusty, brown tile look vinyl for the flooring. 

 Not real tile, as we had that for many years in our house in Santa Cruz,

 and eventually things were dropped and then the earthquake of 1989 happened

 and we had a lot of broken tiles.  

I didn't want that anymore and, at that time, hardwood wasn't a big deal for kitchens or baths. 

 We had made arrangements for the flooring to be laid and at the last minute, 

we were told that the pattern that I had picked out was discontinued.  

We were pressed for time so I kind of just blindly picked the first thing I saw 

and, believe you me,

 that is one, if not the best, decision we made in the renovation of our Cottage.

  This little floor has taken such a beating:  

big and little dogs, and muddy boots,

  moving and painting furniture and everything imaginable spilled on it,

 and in spite of some neglect at times 

 it still shines.




What you are looking at is
 not a Christmas miracle! 
 It pretty much has looked like this
 for almost 30 years.




The little kitchen tree shines too


 A little explanation for you...

After the tree was up in the kitchen

 and I had taken all the photos, 

one string of lights burned out 

and we didn't have any replacements. 

Of course, they were

 the old version of lights

 and it was impossible to find anything

 that wasn't LED now. 

I haven't pulled any punches 

when I talk about LED lights.

 I plain don't like them! 

 The Captain brought home 

what he could find 

and I do have to rethink them a bit. 

I still don't like them,

 and to my naked eye

 they are harsh and way too bright,

 but to photograph, I have to admit 

they are golden, 

and they are beautiful on this little tree. 

So much softer and clean looking.

 I didn't want to take all the ornaments off

 so that is why you see too many wires

 and possibly,

 if the lights were pushed back 

into the branches 

they wouldn't look so harsh to me.

 It will have to do until next year

 when they will be fixed properly. 

I couldn't resist taking all new photos

 so you could see how pretty it is...





...and it is so peaceful sitting here 

with a hot drink before bedtime.








The real thing

 and one from the imagination

 of a wanna-be artist!






The table is set for two.

  A very comfortable spot 

when the candle is lit

 and the fire is burning...  





...and the dinner plate's message

 says it all.





I found this pretty cannister at Home Goods on my birthday trip 

and then the little red gingerbread snowflake ornaments from

 Marmalade Mercantile.  

A sweet match was made. 

 They have given me a new idea 
that I am working on for
 the long winter months after Christmas.
  I am anxious to share with you then.

 




















Even the top of the cupboards 

got a little bit of Christmas.




So far,
 the all time favorite
 of gingerbread house renovations.





There has been sightings 

of some farm animals hanging around...













...not to mention all the flakes seen in the area...























Evidently

 there is a convention of Santa's

 being held at Holly Farms...





...and my favorite Santa 

that I made back in the day.








I hate to say it, 

but this brings us to the end

 of Christmas decorations.  

There is still a few days for us to sit back and enjoy the time left. 

 Now preparations begin for the day we spend with family and friends.

  Our kids are coming up to be with us on Christmas Day.  

It will be a quick day again, 

but we are so grateful and happy 

for the time we can spend together.







I am going to take some time off

 to unwind and relax. 

 I will see you next year. 

 I hope everyone has a 

very Merry Christmas

 and a Happy New Year

 and until then...




Make your wishes

 upon the

stars count and...




May all your days

 be

 merry and bright.



...Judy...




"May the light illuminate your hearts 

and shine in your life every day

 of the year. 

 May everlasting peace be yours 

and upon our earth."


Eileen Anglin 


Sharing today with:



29 comments:

  1. Your house is so festive - a perfect Christmas cottage! Enjoy your holidays and relax. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ellen. I hope you have the most wonderful Christmas and New Year to come..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Ah, Judy, have a very Merry Holiday with family and friends. Enjoy the JOY your home brings you and for us. Totally love this post, and 'm pretty much done also...except for lots of baking and cooking. Hugs and enjoy everything ---your home is wonderful...I can smell the baking now! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. You know that cake that you saw on this post? That is the only baking I have done. When the kids come up they are bringing stuff and all I have to do is make a salad and a veggie. Not bad, huh? Have a wonderful Merry Christmas my friend with all your lovely family..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Judy,
    You do know how much I adore your sweet Kitchen, don't you????? So charming and I was so looking forward to seeing it all decked out at Christmas and you did not disappoint my friend!!! LOVE it all!! I had the same floor if you remember but mine was gold...I probably would have kept ti if it was like yours!!!Everything just looks so perfectLy inviting and I so wish we lived closer so I could join you for a cup of tea....But just think of me there with you in spirit, my friend!! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Deb. If you were close we probably would have something a little stronger than tea! It would be lovely. Another blogger has said she has memories of the same flooring in a different color too. An oldie but a goody, I guess. Have a wonderful Christmas with Joe and the kids, Deb, and a very Happy New Year..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas Judy. Your kitchen is so
    Beautiful. I agree with you about led lights.
    I have really enjoyed your posts and look forward to new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Renate. I so appreciate your visits to me and I hope you will keep coming back when you can. Have a wonderful Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. I just love your kitchen Judy. It is so cozy and inviting along with the rest of your home. Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and the happiest, healthiest New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynda. I appreciate your kind words and I wish the same for you and your family..Happy Holidays..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Your kitchen is so charming, it's like walking into a magical land! Please, may I come have a cup of cocoa at that pretty red table? I love your tree (I'm with you on LED lights -- have you tried places like Walgreens? I was able to get the old lights in their Christmas section and plan to go back the day after Christmas to restock for next year!) If you go to a Michaels or even Ace Hardware, they're all the new ones. I don't mind the new for some things -- I've become adjusted! But not for everything! And your floor is perfect! I wish I'd chosen something darker. I have loved seeing all your collections -- they are absolutely wonderful and make me smile big. I hope you both have a very Merry Christmas and a lovely break. We'll be on our own this year again -- our DIL has Covid (a mild case, fortunately) and we're just waiting for Kevin to get it. (They've been vaxxed, but the kids brought it home from daycare.) Laying low for Christmas, that's for sure. But that's nice in its own way, too -- and I actually kind of anticipate it. Merriest to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I am late getting around to doing much so as I am answering this Christmas has come and gone. Sorry to hear about your DIL. Hope it isn't too bad for her. Our kids did come up and we didn't get any snow except it started a little this morning. We had a really short (they all left the same afternoon) but very sweet time and a nice Christmas. We got the night to sit and watch movies so it was all good. Hope yours was too..Talk to you next year!..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Hi Judy! Your house is just the Christmas coziest and comfiest - everything about it is so inviting. I remember when your flooring hit the market and I just loved it and I still do! How awesome that it has stood the test of time. Wishing you tons of Christmas happiness and joy! Thank you for being such a great, inspirational and encouraging blogging friend. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. I always appreciate everything you say. It is now the day after Christmas and we are relaxing watching a little snow fall outside. Warm and cozy inside. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and peace in the New Year..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Ah.h.h. there's my mom and dad's kitchen floor again! I loved it, but there's was more greens and golds... same exact pattern and came with their new house they bought in about 1954 in Portland, OR. I love seeing your floor! Everything about your kitchen/keeping room is just wonderful! I love the gingerbread house with the "smoke" coming out of the chimney! Your table is so cozy and perfect for two.. and so glad you get to see your family on Christmas Day. What fun it will be. I haven't baked a thing. Today I have some shortbread cookies I'm going to try - 3 ingredients! I'll see how they turn out. The flour and sugar are in the bowl.. and would also like to make some pumpkin bars. I'll be alone (just me and my food!) on Christmas eve, but that's OK. Your Santa convention is just sweet! and love your glass jars with the chickens on top, and the greens and berries on them. I could comment on so many cute things! You've done yourself proud! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. It is the day after Christmas now and we have a little snow falling. Snow was predicted for Christmas Day and if it had happened it would be the first time in 81 years of Christmases that I would see an actual White Christmas. But, as usual, the weatherman was wrong so it looks like we will have a Day After White Christmas! I hope this new year will be better for you. That is what I wish for all of us in one way or another..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. What a cozy festive Christmas kitchen Judy! Oh so many wonderful displays I spotted. I did not do much in my own kitchen this year, but may have to change my mind next year as you brought the spirit of the Holidays in a very amazing way in here! Loved reading the story about your floor too. I may have to steal your one idea though of the red and white striped ribbon garland above the wreath. Hope you and the captain have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I too am going to take some time off from blogging. Need to finish up some Valentine items for our gift shop. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. You are too kind. I do love that red and white garland. I bought it a couple of years ago but I bet it would be so easy to make. It reminds me of a string of candy. Enjoy your time off. We don't have any special plans but will just be kind of good to step away from the computer for awhile..Hope your Christmas was special and that you enjoy a healthy and peaceful New Year..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. I can see the love, joy and memories you place in every corner of cottage, but what really shines is your love for home and family. Wishing you an extra joyous season, I marvel at all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jain. You are always too kind! This day after Christmas and a light snow is falling. Are you seeing it too? I hope your Christmas was special and that you enjoy a healthy and Happy New Year my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Precious memories and lovely Christmas decor Judy. May your Christmas be filled with love, joy, peace and hope. Merry Christmas. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. It looks like we are getting the snow that was promised for Christmas Day. That would have been extra special. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and hopefully we will all have a healthy and Happy New Year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Your Christmas decorations are beautiful and I love your floor.
    Wishing you peace, joy and good health for 2022.
    Thelma xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Thelma. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a healthy and Happy New Year..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Everything is so adorable, love all the thought and care you put into EVERYTHING! Been thinking about you all week and hoping you are fairing well with snow and no power 😞❄🌨 we didn't have the internet for several days, but you are nestled in the heart of the winter woes, I'm hoping you are staying safe and able to keep warm and content. My thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jain. We survived the great power outage but wasn't too bad with the generator. It has been so cold but we are cozy and safe. Hope you are as well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. I can't believe that floor is 30 years old! Everything is so warm and inviting. Just beautiful. I love the farm animals hanging around. ;o)
    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carla. Yep, it is. It sure takes a beating. I am really glad my first choice was not available as I don't think it would look too good today..Happy New Year..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy