Tuesday, December 7, 2021

THE COLOR OF CHRISTMAS...

 







"Oh, Tidings of Comfort and Joy

Comfort and Joy

Oh, Tidings of Comfort and Joy"


God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
16th century Christmas carol


This is all that I wish for myself 

and all that I wish for you. 

 The joy I feel is just because,
 it's Christmas after all,
 and the comfort is what I hope you feel
 after your visit to the Cottage today
 and throughout the Christmas holidays.

WELCOME...






Santa and Mrs. Claus are, once again,

 the ambassadors of the season 

and they join forces with:





...the patient little boy

 who is always here  to welcome you

 as you enter the Cottage.





This year, even though they have a shorter runway 

and can't hook up the old gray mare to the sleigh, 

Santa and his better half are willing and able, 

with the help of a special silver deer,

 to bring you sacks of good wishes for a Merry Christmas.








We get a peek into the parlor from the entry

 and right away you have to notice that

 red plays a big role in the color of Christmas

 around here this year.






The bright red bows

 and the fairy lights on the mantel

 are very cheery

 and add a note of joy against the dignity of the angels and the books. 

 Bits and pieces of assorted greens and berries are tucked into the garland 

and the glow of the red candles

 make the parlor full of all kinds of cozy and comfort...






...especially 

when there is a warm fire on the hearth.








One of the made-over gingerbread houses

under a cloche, a few greens and another red candle 

sit on a silver tray on the marble top table. 

 A few Christmas pillows add 

comfort to the parlor settee and chairs.










If you look closely 

you will see some paintings are adorned 

with ribbon streamers and greens...





...and there are 
sparkling reflections in mirrors.









In the early planning stages of how the tree should look this year, 

I had decided on everything red. 

It was a leap of faith for me as I have a large assortment of newer and vintage ornaments 

handed down for as long ago as 50 years or more

 and I have always mixed them up on the tree. 

 I have done a lot of one color in the past but always with other colors mixed in. 

 Years ago I did a green and gold only tree

 and I was so disappointed the whole time it was up and I couldn't wait to take it down.

  That thought stayed with me as I was picking out all the red ornaments from the boxes 

but I chose not to listen and forged ahead.  

As I was adding the thin, red satin bows,

 I knew I had made the right choice... 
















...it is elegant and classic all at the same time 

and with a small amount of gold added in,

 it shines with  an abundance of comfort and joy for me.






I had ordered a couple of dozen new red ornaments 

when I first had the idea as I wasn't exactly sure how many red ornaments I had.  

If I had known for sure at that time, I would have ordered some more. 

 With the white lights on, 

the tree looks fairly full to the naked eye, but you can't fool the camera,

 and it could use a few more, 

but by now there isn't anything available

 so you will just have to take my word for it.








I have said that I am trying to pare down the decorations.  

Sometimes, to my eye, one simple, very elegant decoration is so beautiful and just enough,

 but then I have to always go that extra little bit 

and then you know what happens!

  It feels like I have done what I said I would do,

 sort of, 

but in the end you will be the judge.











I only painted one Santa this year. 

 He is a different style from the others I have done.  

Years ago, when we had the shop and were doing shows, 

I painted one picture of a Santa that was very country and primitive.  

I took it to the Christmas show that year

 and a woman that always was so kind in following whatever we did,

 snatched it up the minute she walked into the booth. 

 I had not taken a photograph of it and lost the pattern I used along the way

 but I have never forgotten what a favorite it was to me.

  I am not trying to mislead you because you know I can't paint, right?  

I don't have a problem with the painting as such, 

it is the form that escapes me totally. 

 This year, I found a stencil that is close to the memory that I have of that particular Santa

 and the results are what you see above.  

He is definitely done in the primitive style and I do love him 

and will show you where he ends up 

in the whole scheme of the Christmas magic a little later.




The obsession is on going 

and I have been working on two more gingerbread houses.

  I found another little cottage that is so tiny that I don't know how it will turn out 

and a lantern that is crying to be a Christmas gingerbread house. 

 Hopefully, I will get these done to show you within the next two weeks.






There is much left to do so I will be here next week. 

 Hope to see you then...






...in the meantime,

 I wish you are finding all kinds of comfort and joy 

in this Christmas season.


...Judy...




It seems that this scene is becoming a tradition around here. 

 Kai places himself under the tree 

as soon as it is decorated. 

 Our first present this Christmas.


Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda
  


21 comments:

  1. Such a cute present under your pretty tree. Love that mantel garland that is so gorgeous. Everything looks so pretty and festive Judy.
    Have a great rest of the day. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. He certainly is the greatest gift. He is going through so much but still he can see the bright side. I'm so glad you liked it all..Happy Holidays, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your home with us every year, it's so warm and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am so happy that you enjoy seeing our Cottage. It is all a labor of love and I am so happy to share it with you..Happy Holidays..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. So pretty. I love your red tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Renate. I am pretty happy with how the tree turned out..Happy Holidays..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Lovely post full of wonderful Christmas decorations. So warm and inviting Judy. Love your little Kai under the tree, such a sweetie. Merry Christmas Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Linda. I finally finished and now I think I will go sit under the tree with Kai!..Happy Week to you, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Love the beautiful red and gold tree, Judy, and how adorable that Kai claimed a spot underneath! Everything looks so pretty - the little remade 'gingerbread' house, the mantel, Mr. and Mrs. Claus :) The full view of your living room looks like a Victorian doll house come to life. Your painted Santa came out so nice, too. It's definitely beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen. The parlor is really fun to decorate. I like the idea of living in a Victorian doll house..Have a wonderful week, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Your home is a gorgeous combination of festive and cozy. The tree works with the red and gold (but I can see why it was a leap for you after the traditions of the past!). And I adore your painted Santa. He's simply wonderful -- very traditional. The gingerbread houses are a great idea. I need to really get on the stick and start crafting but first need to do the big tree and get the out of towners mailed. (Shopping for the locals wouldn't be a bad idea, either!) And baking... it all comes so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. It is such fun to decorate, but I need to follow your lead. I never have time for baking or much shopping. I am so glad that my kids are only wanting gift cards..Happy Holidays, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Hi Judy! Kai is a smart one - he has found a very cozy napping spot! Your home is the definition of Christmas. Everything is just lovely as usual! I love the charm of your woodstove. Like you, I have decorated with a lot of read this year. I was going to go more neutral with a winter vibe, but once I opened up all my bins I just knew red was it this year! Thanks for your beautiful post. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. I love the red and always have a lot of it going on anyway but it sure spells Christmas. Believe it or not, that is a gas stove. It is our basic source of heat and it works really well. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post and I can't wait to see more of your beautiful new home decorated for Christmas..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. I love themed posts, and the 'comfort and joy' was buzzing in my head the whole time I was reading. Yes, we need to give ourselves permission to have JOY. No matter how crazy or nuts the world gets, let's have and spread a little comfort and joy. I'm with you on the red, no matter where I am in the house there is a liberal sprinkling of RED! So, hugs, and enjoying your posts, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. Yes, there is a great abundance of red even when it isn't a holiday. I we do need all the joy we can get. By the looks of things the biggest joy these days is just staying alive. At least if we're smart! Comfort and joy to you my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Judy,
    Love how the tree looks ! You know I too am a lover of red in any Season and especially during Christmas time!!!
    The cottage is looking so festive!! Can't wait to see more....Thanks so much for stopping by! Stay safe, healthy and happy!
    Hugs
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. This is a busy time of year and it seems there isn't enough hours in the day to get everything done. I appreciate your visits and kind words always and send good wishes for a happy holiday season..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. It is definitely a "red" Christmas and I love it! I think your tree is just stunning with all the red ornaments, and bows and garlands of red.. the touches of gold just set it off.. who doesn't love gold at Christmastime??? I just love RED at Christmastime.. when I walk into a Christmas section at a store, all of the red just cheers me up and I WANT all of it in my house! You and Mr. Santa have done another marvelous decorating miracle this year! Hugs to you! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. It is a labor of love to do it although I notice each year it takes longer and I really do less even though it may not look like it. Christmas is a special time for me so I try to do it justice. Merry Christmas, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. You boundless energy and love of life radiates in all you share!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy