Tuesday, July 9, 2024

OLD FOLK'S ART...

 





Ah, Summertime. 

 It really is a beautiful time of the year. 

 A time for fun, a time to explore, and a time to restore the mind 

of all the best that life has to offer.  




I can look back and see

 summers spent in Yosemite National Park, 

walking trails and climbing mountains. 

 Summers spent at my grandparent's ranch, 

swimming in the creek and picking berries.

 Summers spent with friends, riding horses

 and summers spent at 4-H Camp, 

singing around the campfire. 

 As I grew older

 there were summers spent at home, 

 as my parents and younger siblings 

went on vacation without me,

just because I could be trusted.

  Summers spent working my first job

 at Santa's Village

 and summers spent dreaming of going back to school with new shoes

 that were the ultimate of high fashion.






The older I got
 the more I looked forward to summer. 
 Now, I had a family of my own to share these beautiful days with.  
The kids were always so happy to get out of school
 and looked forward to vacations. 
 I could relate and remembered all of those days. 
 A trip to Disneyland
 was a very big deal for all of us
and Thursday nights at the Drive-In movie theatre
 for Dollar Nights 
with the promise of a trip 
to the canteen during intermission.




Fast forward a few very short years 

with motorhome trips to 

Canada and Yellowstone National Park

 or cruises to Mexico and Alaska. 

 They all pass by in a blur, 

and now you see photos that your grandkids took 

while vacationing in Costa Rica.




84 summers is not a long time.  
They go by more quickly than you will ever imagine 
but there is an upside to it all. 
There is the potential for memories that stay 
with you for a lifetime 
and, believe it or not, 
it makes "slowing down" easier to endure,
 although, I will admit, to not always liking it.




Folk art is the mirror image of real life.  

It is simple and plain, full of bright colors

 and direct images. 

 There is no real way to see it, 

only what you 

think is the right way 

and even then, you can only hope that 

you have seen it well.

  You learn as you go along, 

and like anything else, with practice it gets easier.  

It most likely will take a few summers to get it right 

but I, for one, will keep trying.





Hope your summer is

 one of the best!


Until next time,

...xxoJudy...





Sharing this week with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda



15 comments:

  1. Judy your artwork is always beautiful. Such talent. I too love all the memories of summer's past when the girls were little and we would do picnics and small blow up pools in the yard. Just a few of the fun memories. Have a great rest of the week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. Any memory is to be cherished and I feel so fortunate that I can have them, I know there are a lot who can't do that anymore. Times with our kids are the best. Stay cool and enjoy the summer days ahead..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Judy your paintings are beautiful and inspiring me to add more folk art paintings to my home...or take a stab at making my own. I also love your trip down memory lane. Summer has always been my favorite season and you memories have triggered so many of my own. Thank you for that lovely post and for setting me on a path of summer painting and reminiscing. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. You could so do them. I find them really fun to do. My sister asked if they were paint by numbers but, no, they are my own at least in the painting of them. You can probably tell by how crooked everything is. Maybe I should stand on my head when I paint!..Happy Summer Days, xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Judy I'm so happy to see these lovely paintings and the sentiments you expressed. Yes, slowing down and the memories seem to flood around us. Your art is exquisite, a great mix of contemporary, folk and historical...they some would make fabulous fabrics for quilters...with those rich colors! Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Sandi. The colors are what I love about folk art and the ease of not having to mix them so precisely. They are such fun to do so now I guess I will beat that dead horse into the ground..Happy Summer Days..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore, just adore this art, Judy. I love folk art anyway, but you seem to "get it" and are mastering the feel and colors and the whole bit so beautifully. I love seeing this new work of yours and I hope you keep with that. I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Jeanie. You are too kind. I love painting this style. It is fun and has all kinds of quirks so that my quirks can seem a little normal!..Stay cool on these lovely summer days..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your paintings are just delightful! And your words are too! Thanks for sharing and keep painting and enjoying. I, too love summer, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, V. It is turning into a fun pastime.. Stay cool..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. I'm loving your art Judy! How neat to have such joy and receive such joy in your painting. Any sort of crafting can just take us away to other places and put our minds at ease. Ah.h.h.h. yes.. such memories of our younger years... "they" (whoever they are) say don't dwell in the past, but our memories are what sustain us and allow us to know who we are, and where we were and where we came from. The wonderful memories of our past are to be cherished.. and I'm feel lucky that I DO remember them! I do get a little sad, thinking about the fun things I did, and the fun things when my kids were small, knowing I can't relive them. My family is not a family "unit" anymore, so that is sad. New friends, new step kids, new spouses (or a deceased spouse), and we all have managed to keep some sort of a family unit which I cherish. I still try to keep some dreams alive of what I still would like to do.. that gives me hope! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn. I thought I did reply to this but not here anyway. In case I didn't I appreciate your kind words. I have been taking care of a sick little dog and haven't been doing much of anythin else..Hope you are enjoying these nice summer days..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. You can apply for one year courses in UK for international students with Indian qualifications. After your bachelor’s degree from a recognised university in India, you can apply for one year masters in UK. Post Covid, many UK universities also offer online degrees which means you can gain a masters degree or other certifications from UK universities while living in India.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy,
    Once again, I am amazed at your artistic talent, my friend!! All so sweet... I hope you are doing well ...I am barely surviving the Summer heat and humidity , which is considered Tropical, that we have been having!! Looking forward to Fall.... And I am keeping busy...Stop by if you get a chance to see my latest projects in the Living Room!! Enjoy the rest of your week!!
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. Things have been a little hectic around here and I haven't had the chance to stop by but will soon. Thanks for your kind words and I am looking forward to fall also..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy