Tuesday, April 23, 2019

COMING ATTRACTIONS...











The sky is blue
The trees are green
and
The sun is?  White?...

Is that what summer looks like?

  Haven't we always
 thought of the sun as yellow?

Didn't we learn 
as small children 
that the yellow crayon 
was always chosen 
when depicting the sun?
 We think of sunshine
 as a warm color, but yet, 
when we look directly 
at the bright summer sun, 
it doesn't appear
 as anything but 
a white light.






That is my story and
 I'm sticking to it, and 
I am using my story 
to decorate our Summer Cottage
 in shades of 
blue and white with
accents of
 real and faux greens.





It helps 
that the color blue 
seems to be a mainstay in the Cottage.
 As long as I can remember 
blue has been a
 dominate color 
in my life...





...I can remember 
dresses that my mom insisted 
that I wear as a child 
always being some shade of blue and 
the pattern of the dishes
 that served my mom's wonderful 
home cooked meals, and 
which are now lining the shelves 
of our dining room cupboard, 
was Blue Willow.

  Blue 
is an easy color 
to get along with...





...it can be perked up 
with red 
for a patriotic holiday...





...or by adding 
virtual sunshine,
 can take us into 
the fall season.





For now, though,
 in this transitioning time
 between spring and summer, 
blue and white are just
 coming attractions.





The colors of this summer 
are still in the planning stages and 
until the definite presentation is set, 
we will be content with 
what is changing in the garden.

 Maybe it isn't as exciting now
 as it will be, but
 it is definitely 
on the way.





The brilliant greens 
of the spirea 
are awaiting the arrival of
 its pretty pink blooms...





...the tiny pink azelea buds 
are starting to show
 some color...





...sweet little faces of
 Forget-Me-Nots...





...the Lily of the Valley 
will soon be a mass of
 tiny white bells...





...and Miss Lady Banks, 
although shy about starting,
 will soon be
 very showy.





The beautiful white camellia 
is almost done blooming. 
 Constant rains 
seem to have hurried 
up the process...





...the little grape hyacinths 
are making a small carpet cover
 around the lawn...





...the maple tree 
is setting forth 
dainty and tender
 green shoots...





...and a fern is
 unfolding 
and adding its whimsical shape
 to the garden.





The giant hosta 
is returning in 
the Secret Garden...





...along side of 
the beautiful green leaves 
of a hydrangea bush.




Last, but by no means least,
the lilac is starting to show
 against the blue sky.





The above photo 
is from last summer and, hopefully,
 the garden will come back again.

 When the garden is in 
the transitional stage, 
these same thoughts emerge each year 
but it hasn't failed us yet.

 As for now,
 the lawn has just been mowed and 
the scent of freshly cut grass 
is filling the air around the Cottage.

 A trip to the nursery 
is planned 
so some colorful annuals
 will be added to the mix this summer.

  There may be a little less lawn
 in the future 
as our water rates 
are being raised again but 
whatever is in store 
will make for a 
very happy and 
well deserved
 summer.



...Judy...






A quiet Easter morning 
at the Cottage.


Hope everyone had 
a beautiful and blessed 
Easter holiday.






Sharing today with:


and

18 comments:

  1. Judy, I love your blues and whites. Your table is so sweet. The quiet morning photo is wonderful. It is beautiful around your place. Love all the flowers too. Hope you are enjoying all that wonderful spring . Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved blue and white together. Just a pretty color combination. I love the quiet Easter pictures. Just beautiful.
    Love seeing your post and all the pretty pictures. We are finally breaking into Spring here in the midwest and Old Man Winter has let go of us. Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! Such a beautiful post. Yes! the water rates are raised again. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your spring garden is very impressive! You guys are leaps and bounds ahead of where we are currently, though I did see a sweet little blue grape hyacinth peeking out yesterday :)
    I love all of your blue touches, and it's so special that you have your mom's dinnerware!
    As we are in the process of selling/moving, I am not going crazy with the borders and yard this spring, but I am still digging in the dirt and loving all the perennials!
    Wishing you a happy day.
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy,
    Blue is a cool calming color....And all your blues are all so pretty!! So lovely!!
    And all your stunning blooms were such a treat to see !!! Thanks so much for sharing!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We must be on the same wavelength Judy as I started to change up our bedroom for Spring in blue and white. Love the flowers pics! My gramma H used brown transferware. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blue and white is a classic and elegant combination, Judy. I may be a red girl myself, but I do appreciate other color combos and that one tops the list. Thank you for the lovely garden tour, too. Those early spring blooms are always the most exciting after a long grey winter! Here’s to color...of any kind!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite color combinations and it looks lovely in your very charming home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it's so nice to see Spring flowers coming forth and pushing up their heads to the skies! Love it and love your photos of each thing beginning another year. It really IS inspiring to see how the plants always (almost) come back after a hard winter. I do love blue and white.... in my childhood years, our family went every summer to a beach house that was almost all blue and white, mostly in the kitchen. I loved it and for years wanted that for my color theme. I don't think I every really did it all the way. I can't seem to stick to just two colors... although with blue and white, you can add any other color and it looks beautiful. Have a nice week and enjoy your trip to the nursery! That is always so so fun! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yellow, blue, white. A favorite of mine! It's lovely in every way -- perfect spring. And oh, those blooms! How I long for mine to all pop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blue and white color combo is timeless and calming. Enjoy spring in all of it's glory.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Judy, I feel as if I've just had a mini-vacation. Beautiful photos! And I am right at home with blue and white china and décor with a base of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blue is always calming ... IT's always so nice to see the Spring flowers bursting forth . You are so far ahead of us ...as we still have snow... We even had a freak snow storm three days ago. Today it cool and rainy ( Ha ha).. but I do see a few green sprouts popping up amid the snow. It's amazing how very resilient nature is. Your photos are absolutely enchanting.... Thank You for sharing the Spring beauty... ENJOY your week-end. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was such a lovely post, I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs and do like your blues and whites.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blue is a color I am wanting more of in my home. It sets the stage I think for anything we desire to put with it. I mean the sky is blue and everything beneath it goes beautifully.
    I miss my lily of the valley and spirea. Both beautiful plants Mom always had in our yard.
    I always enjoy seeing your home decorations and outdoor plantings. I want that iron gate you have. I remember my grandmother had an iron fence and gate when she lived in Church hill of Richmond many many moons ago. So many good memories there
    Happy Monday
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blue and white. I love seeing your signs of spring! I know you're thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Judy,
    Me again!! I wanted to stop by to Thank you for your well wishes and prayers for my surgery which went well and for my recovery.....Thanks so much, my friend!! It is truly appreciated!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy