Monday, October 21, 2019

THE STRANGER...










Hi Everybody: 
Just was notified 
that we may lose power again tomorrow 
so am putting out my post now, 
while I can.

Enjoy!










I know I said 
the Cottage Witch
 would not be joining us
 this October month 
but in light (no pun intended) 
of the stranger that was 
found in our midst,
 her expertise could not be avoided.

 I will let her 
tell you the story 
in her own words...



THE STRANGER




Once upon a time
On a cold October eve
A stranger came
Asking at the door






The hour was late
No one yet knew their fate
Still the stranger kept
Asking for more






The lights had turned dark
Everything looked the same
Only a sliver of path
Could be seen






It was down this small path
That the stranger advanced
Like a moth being
Led to a flame






As he knocked on the glass
It was obviously clear
What he wanted
Was something to eat






He kept touching his mouth
And the ones from inside
Were left wondering if 
They were his treat






The stranger moved on
No one knew where he went
Or why our Cottage 
Was picked






In years to come
When the question is asked
The answer might be
You were tricked!


The Cottage Witch



Has this stranger 
ever come to your town?

 I had never seen
his likes around here before.

  Is he a praying mantis, 
do you think?
  
The Cottage Witch is smart, 
but she doesn't know everything. 
(but you never heard that from me)








On a lighter note, 
I did paint yet another Santa. 
What's with the flag you ask,
 you will find out 
at Christmas.







...Judy...



P.S.
  
The Cottage Witch is smart after all.

 She just googled our stranger and 
it is, indeed, a praying mantis.

 It is sometimes called 
a spiritual insect and 
holds a meaning of peace.

 The Chinese say
 that if one is found in your home
 the angels are watching over you. 
That sounds good to me, 
just so they watch
 from afar.






Yes, Virginia,
it is safe to
 open the door now.



Sharing today with:


Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda

and

Keep In Touch at Let's Add Sprinkles

17 comments:

  1. Cute post Judy. I do see those little creatures inside and out. They are quite unique. Your new Santa is darling. Thanks for sharing your post at “Love Your Creativity.” Let’s hope the power doesn’t get shut off. I am not happy about the loss of power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Judy. Fingers crossed you don't lose power once again. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh loved this Judy. How sweet the information about the Praying Mantis. I think they are such unique little creatures. Your Flag and Santa painting are beautiful. Hope you do not lose power.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, Judy!! I giggled my way though it. We have Praying Mantises in our yard frequently. Sometimes they even make their way in the house. Some are teeny and some are bigger than my husband's hand, but all have been very sweet guests. I think we ended up with a tree from the nursery that had a nest in it years and years ago. That's when they first turned up. Interesting creatures for sure. PS...love the painting and I hope your lights are on by now! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always so amazed at how often our paths cross such as your post and what happened here last night.

    I could hear Miss Twiggley at one of the windows in the office and knew something was up. I came in, turned on the light, and found that she had discovered a praying mantis such as your "stranger" on the outside of a window, sent I am sure just to tempt her. I was thrilled to see him and such a lovely specimen he was. they are such wonderful creatures to have in the garden. You don't suppose that your stranger came to pay me a visit too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore everything here! The photos are wonderful -- so imaginative. I love the praying mantis. and of course your vignettes are beautiful and I adore your Santa paintings. You've really mastered it -- you're so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy,
    I loved this post!! I saw a praying mantis last year in our back yard. They were more plentiful it seems when I was younger .....Love all your photos!! I hope you do not lose power again but I did hear on the news that they are considering it again... Stay safe, my friend!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a stranger to come knocking at your door/window! I've never seen one in real life! Good to know they are good little creatures to have around! Loved your story and your photos. As one reader said, they had one as big as her husband's hand! I could not imagine that and am afraid if I saw one of those, I would run the other way! Your Santa with flag painting is lovely. You are so talented and creative in so many ways Judy. I hope you don't lose power again or more often. I'm not sure what's going on there. Are there water shortages so that there isn't enough power for everyone? I remember in Portland, OR back in the 1970's I think it was, they were having problems with the dams and power companies being able to furnish enough to everyone, so we had to shut down all lights, etc. in early evening and all the businesses were not allowed to have their electric signs on at night.. same with businesses in buildings.. all the lights had to be out after dark! Was pretty crazy but it was because of water shortages at the power companies' plants. I guess you'll have to paint more if you lose power again! I'm lost without it, but find I can still do most of my papercrafting without electricity! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like seeing these little creatures. I had one on a leaf and as I got closer, he just turned his head watching me. They seem to be trusting. I didn't see too many this year. Didn't see many walking sticks either.
    Hope you hold on to power. terrible to be without it.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found your blog through EXQUISITELY UNREMARKABLE. You wrote such a nice response to her post I just had to pop over to meet you:) I am glad to hear that perhaps if a praying mantis is in your home the angels are watching over you. That's much better than what I've heard about these little critters before...I've heard they can spit on you and can make you go blind if it gets in your eye!!! Probably not true but I'm not planning on getting close enough to one to find out!!!! Now I'm off to read more of your blog. Please drop by mine sometimes and stop and "chat" for awhile:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had a praying mantis here...but I have seen them. Your Santa is very cute. Have a nice week, Judy!
    Debbie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun post! Glad I found your blog through your comment at Kim's blog Exquisitely Unremarkable. I was looking back through your posts and noticed we both started blogging in 2012! Looking forward to reading more on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy. I tried to find a way to contact you through your blog but I couldn't. Hope you come back to see this. I appreciate your visit and hope to hear from you again..Have a wonderful weekend..Judy

      Delete
    2. Judy, I'm just now seeing this message. I may have gotten a notification but my daughter got married November 2, 2019 so I probably missed a lot that month! Just wanted to reply. I have a contact page on my blog on the menu and I'm so sorry you couldn't find it! My blog seems to be down right now and I'm quite frustrated with it! Still love visiting your blog!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Stacy. When you are getting a daughter married off, there is a lot on your mind and hands, so no excuses necessary. I'm glad you contacted me as it was fun going back and looking at that scary stranger..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy