Tuesday, October 1, 2019

AND ONE MORE THING...












Fall has come
 to the 
forgotten garden.

This was my first thought 
of how I wanted to start off this post.

  As I will tell you a little later, 
the Secret Garden was not done right
 by us this summer. 
 It reminds me of a 
forgotten garden, 
therefore, 
that is what I am 
calling it in my mind.

 As I googled 
"poems about forgotten gardens",
 I came across this book by Kate Morton 
called The Forgotten Garden. 
 It says I will discover
 the truth behind a prominent family 
with the help of 
a book of dark fairy tales and
 a secret garden...
need I say more?  
It had me hooked 
at fairy tales, dark or not, 
so I will add The Forgotten Garden 
to my library, 
along with a few others 
that I see she has written such as: 
 The Lake House, The Distant Hours, The Clockmaker's Daughter, The Secret Keeper and The House at Riverton, 
all fascinating and appealing titles. 
 Let me know
 if you have read 
any of her books.





The first thing 
I did this morning, 
after waking up to gray skies
 feeling like rain, 
was to go out to the garden and 
pick all the zinnias 
that were still blooming.
  
I thought 
they had reached their peak awhile ago 
but they just keep 
blooming on.  
The Captain measured one plant
 to be sixty inches tall! 
 I was able to cut 
long stems that fit perfectly 
in a pretty pitcher.





I placed them 
in front of the kitchen blackboard
 where they add a lot of 
glorious fall color.





While I was making the bed, 
I glanced out into the Secret Garden and
 it looked so forlorn.  
The hydrangea bush, 
although big and green, 
didn't bloom at all and
 we didn't get any 
other flowers planted. 

 Now that the leaves are falling,
 it just looks so neglected and sad and 
as that morning rain was now falling,
 I knew just what 
it needed...





...borrowing those pretty zinnias 
would add a bit of happiness
 for just a little while, 
something the little garden, 
which gives so generously to 
the squirrels and the humming birds,
 richly deserves.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




There stands a very large 
Sequoia redwood tree
 beside our driveway.

 Just let me say that
 I love trees in general, 
especially this time of year 
as the leaves turn color and begin to fall,
 but I hate this particular tree 
with all my being!  
During stormy weather, 
I don't sleep well when the wind blows 
as our kitchen and master bedroom 
are up close and personal 
with this monster.





This is one view 
from the driveway...






...and another view 
that shows the nasty sharp needles 
that fall and get drug into the 
car and the house, 
up your pant legs and
 wound up in dog tails and
 the way the roots are 
raising our driveway.

 Now, keep in mind, 
this is God's Country 
and everyone loves the trees 
that make it so, 
so why don't the city officials 
hire locals to trim the large trees
 from around all the power wires?

 Hire persons 
who love these trees and 
know what to do about them?  
But they don't! 
They hire outsiders 
that move in with their big machines, 
who don't give a damn about 
the mess they make, 
they just stop at the bank 
on their way out of town
 after leaving our view 
to be this...





Devastating and disgusting, 
our taxes at work...
enough said!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





Last week 
I told you I had something else 
coming into the kitchen and
 here they are...





I know 
black and white buffalo checks 
are really in right now and 
I see so many beautiful rooms using them, 
but I am not following a trend.
  In fact, 
I don't think it is a trend, 
as you might have noticed
 the black and white checks on
 the little "cherry" shelf over the stove. 
 I said it had hung out
 by the back door for about twenty years 
 and I had used it
 in our home in Santa Cruz
 a few years before that.  
I bought it because 
I was drawn to the black and white checks 
so, as you can see, 
that could be a little more 
than just a trend.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





Another new Santa. 
 One of the pattern books 
showed only the Santa head shots and 
since the faces are one of the
 most fun aspects for me to paint,
 I thought I'd give them
 a try.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Oh, yeah, and 
just one more thing:


Just when you think 
you might have seen too many pumpkins,
 there is always room 
for one more...






As much as I am on Pinterest 
I have never seen this idea before
 so maybe you haven't either. 
 It is very simple to make and
 you may or may not have 
the outer covering on hand,
 but you surely will have access to 
the form of this pumpkin.  
If not, 
you might be in trouble...





Yep,
 just a plain, ordinary 
roll of 
toilet paper.

Take the roll and unwind it a bit 
then re-wind around the roll,
 leaving the paper a bit loose and 
fluffed up. 
 (If you do like me 
you will need to unwind and rewind
 a few times
 to get it just right).  
You will know when you do. 

 Set the fluffed roll 
in the middle of an 18 inch 
piece of flannel or whatever. 
 I tried it with a cloth napkin 
but it seems to look 
softer and better using flannel.

 Bring each edge of fabric up and
 stuff in hole of the TP roll, 
arranging folds until 
it pleases you...





...stick whatever you use 
for a stem into the hole and 
add ribbon if you want and
 there you have 
one more pumpkin that you
 didn't know you needed and 
after it's all said and done, 
take it apart and 
what's left is something
 that you will 
always need.


...Judy...






Sharing today with:


and

21 comments:

  1. What a cute idea with the toilet paper roll! I have read and liked HOUSE AT RIVERTON and THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN. THE DISTANT HOURS was too much like HOUSE AT RIVERTON. THE LAKE HOUSE was good until the ending. Also read THE SECRET KEEPER but can't remember if I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, pine needles. We deal with them all the time at the lake --no matter how many we rake in the spring they just keep falling! They DO get everywhere.

    Your kitchen has my heart pounding a little harder! It's so pretty, really beautiful and very cozy. I could spend hours in it!

    You had to share the pumpkin idea, didn't you?! Like I need one more project, or one more pumpkin. It is just darling and I might even have the right flannel to make one with! Oh,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post! I didn't even have a garden this year--it was that kind of year! I did, however, get a bit of Fall dug out and placed bits here and there. That is a cute idea for a pumpkin. Amazing what people can come with.

    We don't have Sequoias here but we do have trees that drop "gum" balls and those are a huge, nasty mess. We had one over our back door and our deck at the lat house. Awful...and...guess what...they trim trees like that all over the nation...each uglier than the next. lol
    Have a great week- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, When we moved here , all the trees seemed so wonderful to me...then reality set in. Every tree is a trash tree, well I call them that. The pines drop cones and needles, the maples drop whirly-gigs, sycamore drop puff balls and you have rake if three of those big leaves fall, the catalpa has bean pods, the hickory drops nuts,the willow is forever dropping those whispy branches and leaves. The tulip poplar drops petals from the flowers it grows...so there's always something to clean up.
    I love that you got so many pretty bouquets from the garden after all. Blessings , xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Golly, oh, my---you weren't kidding they did a butcher job...and a sequoia, probably older than the USA. maybe someone can cut it up...so it's even on the sides. I know Our garden is sad...we had two nice days followed by now 5 days of rain...yugh! I wanted to get some hostess planted, but it is too soupy! Love the idea of a secret garden, it will be great to see it when you are done. Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your visit to my blog. Now that I've discovered your blog, I am your newest follower.
    Your Zinnias really brightened up the Forgotten Garden. They sure grew tall at your place. Mine just are a few feet tall. They are still blossoming, along with the hollyhocks.
    Your huge Seguoia tree sure makes a mess and is an eye sore, the way they trim it. The town here goes around each Fall and trims any trees that are touching the wires. I have a huge spruce in the front that they trim.
    I like the pretty plaid pumpkin. Who would have thought that underneath is a toilet paper roll. LOL.
    Take care, Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I hate the electric company around here trims the trees as they look like yours in the picture. Don't care at all about nature and its glory. Love the colors of your zinnias. Such a pretty flower for Autumn! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. O wao !!!
    I'm feeling glad to be here. You are sharing such a valuable ideas with us. Even toilet paper made my day i will try it my own. I want to share environment improvement trick via your blog. Try read me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. I appreciate your visit..Happy Wednesday..Judy

      Delete
  9. What a great idea about the toilet paper roll to stuff your pumpkin. The Zinnias are so pretty. The big tree is gorgeous but I bet you worry about the branches when there is a storm. All your fall decor is so pretty inside and out. Happy Wednesday.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, well... Not sure how I found your blog, but I am very glad I did. HAPPY DELICIOUS AUTUMN to you! Love your "forgotten/secret garden". I always have great intentions in the early Spring when the possibilities are endless...and then WHAM! Oh well...I tried. Thanks for sharing your lovely space! And yes, I, too am gonna try that TP PUMPKIN...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Judy, that is a different idea with the pumpkin. Your curtains look lovely. I love zinnias, so pretty and colorful. We did get rain, didn't we? I am sure there is more to come. Happy fall and thank you for sharing your lovely post at "Love Your Creativity." xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy, so much loveliness here today...well, every day...but today especially! I adore your new curtains. I think I may need to try that, it's so crisp. I also love your little pumpkin. That pattern is deliciously fall. Always room for one more is right!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. That tree does look terrible. I'm so sorry. I hate when they trim the trees around power lines. It always looks terrible. I agree. Checks have been around a long time. I'm loving them again these days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your forgotten garden looks a little prettier now with the flowers! It's always kind of sad to see our little garden areas that we loved so much during the summer, get neglected and left to nature and winter to turn them into forgotten areas... but then we know by next year, they'll be all happy again when we get them all cleaned up and fluffed up! I just love your kitchen (I know I've already told you!) and those black and white checked curtains are just darling. And all of your flowers everywhere! oh my! so pretty and inviting. I'm sorry about them butchering that big beautiful tree. It's such a different perspective to see it from the road and not your yard. From your yard, it looks like a normal big tree. I can't believe the city or county lets them do that to those gentle giants. Oh..... and your Santa picture is just precious Pretty soon, I hope you will line them all up in a row so we can see all of your artwork in one place! You make me want to paint again! Have a good Sunday.... Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear, I don't like the way they have trimmed that Sequoia tree...
    But I do like the pretty zinnias, such gorgeous colour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Zinnias are beautiful! I am pulling mine out tomorrow. Got nipped last night with a slight freeze. I have seen pumpkins made with toilet paper rolls, but I've never made one myself. I can't believe they left the trees like that, gosh I'm sorry!!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think I read any of these books but will look them up.
    You would think that the tree trimming would be a little better than what they left the tree to look like. I would have rather have it cut down than botch it. There were some old trees next to homes in town that tore up sidewalks and fell on roofs during storms. I don't think people make the mistake like they use to about planting trees that are forest trees that need to stay in the forest. We took out some biggies, cost us too.
    I like those buffalo checks too. I do like your black and white ones at the kitchen.
    Those zinnias look mighty pretty on the table for a spot of color. I have been cutting mine. I will plant more next year.
    Happy Tuesday
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Judy,
    I almost missed this wonderful post!! They cut trees around here like that when it comes to the power lines but none so magnificent as a Sequoia.That is just heat breaking what they did to it. I LOVE your black and white buffalo checked valances!! so pretty!! I took my on advice and just did a few posts on my Kitchen decorated for Fall and Halloween and took pictures from a distance to get a view of the whole Kitchen...I just bought black and white checked ribbon at Big Lots that has a red edging!! It is in the Christmas section! Thanks so much for stopping by and your kind words!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the ki d of Fall I want to be having. The decor, the soup, the smells and the leaves changing. It sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy