Tuesday, August 11, 2020

GREEN WITHOUT ENVY...











I have always thought
 that I was not
 a big fan of the color green 
except in nature. 
 If you checked out my closet
 you wouldn't see any there. 
 I have never 
painted a room that color,
 but then looking back over 
my plans for this post,
 I find that green 
is woven into my life 
way more than
 I had ever thought.



I have painted
 the guest room dresser 
green...


...and, at Christmas,
 there is more green seen
 than ever before.


We chose a shade of green
 for the screened porch
 because while sitting there
in the heat of a summer's day,
 looking out over
 the Secret Garden...



 ...it gives the feeling
 that we are at one,
 sheltered and covered,
 by the tall trees
 overhead.






Even the Cottage was green
 when we first saw it and
 fell in love.


The one green object
 that I know of 
that seems I have had forever 
is the painting of 
the little house in the woods 
that belonged to my grandmother.
  As a very small girl 
I remember, maybe my first memory,
 it hanging in her log house 
that my grandfather built and 
that she was so proud of. 
 It is a 
treasured piece
 to me.



A few years ago 
this was the prettiest hydrangea bush
 in our garden.  
It was so full and pretty,
 loaded down with big mop blooms of
 pink, lavender and blue.




Here is that same bush today.  
It was slow to leaf out this year and 
then the blooms were very tiny.
  They started out 
with the pinks and blues, 
but then they turned 
this greenish blue color...




...very pretty,
 but not what 
it normally does. 
 I decided to pick them and 
bring them inside
 for a touch of 
summer green.



I floundered around 
in my "home owned thrift store" and 
came up with
 some pieces of green accessories 
that I have. 
 I am thinking 
this is an appropriate styling 
for late summer. 
 By doing this 
it has forced me 
to do some badly needed cleaning
 of the sitting room. 
 Is it just me 
or does anyone else wonder
 what it is about a pandemic 
that brings out the lazy
 in a person?




I refreshed the shelf 
where the sunflower paint by number 
is still sitting and...



...added different pillow covers and
 put the old wagon/coffee table 
to rights and since 
I didn't have any green pillows, 
I added a bright spot
 of summer color 
with the sunflower ones.




Then the next move 
had to be back 
to the green hydrangeas 
with faux sunflowers.



It is good to have 
a little change
 once in awhile.

Speaking of change,
I would like a little honesty here now.
 I found a new friend 
who uses black as her background.
 I think her blog looks magnificent. 
 So I thought I would try it. 
What do you think? 
I like it either way 
so your opinions 
won't offend me in the least.

 I found that
 I could not figure out
 how to change anything
 using the new blogger 
so I reverted back 
to the old way
 in order to do this.
 We better get 
all our ducks in a row 
before they do away with
 the old blogger permanently. 
I thought it was easy at first, 
but now I'm finding out otherwise.



It is wonderful
 to be able to sit 
in a clean room,
 surrounded by blues, and
 to be green without envy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I was writing this post, and 
my mind was wandering (as it so often does)
 I thought it might be fun
 to look back exactly one year and 
see what I was 
writing about then.

 As it turned out 
it was amazing to me
 what the subject turned out to be.

 Why at this point in time
 did I think of doing it? 




We were all hurting 
from gun violence.

 Violence occurring in
 Gilroy, CA one day, 
 El Paso, TX the next and 
Dayton, OH after that.

People 
going school shopping for their kids
 gunned down in their tracks 
in Walmart.
 Now, 
one year later,
 they are dealing with 
sending their kids back to school 
during this pandemic.
  
Nothing much has changed and
 it has only gotten worse
 at the same time, and 
the worse is 
continuing to happen.

Only one year ago.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Here I am with my two grandmothers 
in front of the old log house and
with the roses climbing on the porch
in the early mornin' sun.


  I came across 
this little poem and
 would like to share it with you. 
Since we are spending
 more time in our homes, 
I thought it was
 a sweet reminder
 of what we have.
 
 It reminds me of 
a little bit of blarney and 
if you think 
I may have gotten my seasons mixed up
 (talking about Mardi Gras last week and 
blarney today) 
it is just a side effect 
from too much time on my hands and 
doing everything I can
 to direct
 my attention elsewhere!!!



...Judy...




"Ye've got to sing an' dance fer years,
Ye've got t' romp an'play
An' learn to love the things ye have by usin' 'em each day;
Even the roses 'round the porch must
Blossom year by year
Afore they'come a part of'ye, suggestin' someone dear
Who used t' love 'em long ago, an'
Trained 'em jes' t' run
The way they do, so's they would
Get the early mornin' sun,
You've got t' love each brick an' stone
From cellar up t' dome
It takes a heap o' livin' in a house
T' make it home."


Edgar Albert Guest







Stay smart,
 stay well  
wear your mask
and have a wonderful week.


Sharing today with:


36 comments:

  1. Judy, I love the greens you have discovered in your home. Oh my favorite is the screened porch area. Love that so much. The picture of your two grandmothers is an awesome treasure. Who can match that. The painting your grandmother loved is one to keep always. Blessings to you and the Captain. take care of each other. xoxo,love, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Susie. I am liking green more and more. That pic was taken probably back in 1940. The old log home burnt down in around 1950, I think. I was young but old enough to remember it. Hope things are going well with you and Ted..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Martyna. I appreciate your kind words..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Hi Judy! I just love that poem - such a timely sentiment. It is a scary world/time we are living in these days. I try to remain hopeful and I'm usually successful, but some days it's all a little too much. I am fortunate to have a home and yard I can putz in - cleaning, cooking, decorating. You are right though, some days the pandemic finds me very lazy and unmotivated. On a happy note, I love all of your green decor - funny how certain colors sneak up on us. Your grandmother's picture is especially dear. Hope your week is going well! Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. Everyone seems to be getting busy during the pandemic and accomplishing many things. I just can't seem to get moving. I have finished up my PT though and it seems to be working, so maybe now I can. I am liking green a little more and that picture is a precious memory..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Hi Judy, that amazing Eastlake dresser is just beautiful; Love that room! Your screened in porch is definitely a place I'd sneak away to any chance I could. Oh, and that plate with the cottage and castle in the background!! so sweet and homey English Cottage. just precious. Sounds like you're staying busy and out of trouble, haha! take care of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debra. I am staying out of trouble, but busy?? is another question. I debated so long whether to paint that dresser as hubby had already refinished it to its natural wood. Green was the only color I could come up with to go with the wallpaper. I didn't want to paint it pink! I do love the English Cottage look. If I had it to do over that would be #1 in my decorating handbook. Too old to try again, I think..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Judy,
    Love all the greens you showcased in this wonderful post! I especially love your green dresser and your porch which has struck my fancy every time you showcase it...We have had nothing but heat and tropical humidity here and it is close to becoming our hottest summer on record!! I hate it as I can not get out in my garden except to sneak out to water, trying to kept my flowers alive,,Too hot to sit on the front porch or patio except for an occasional stray day when it is tolerable....So I have been forced to be in the house with the air conditioning...But I have made good use of my time by giving the entire downstairs a deep cleaning....I am looking forward to Fall with it's cooler temps and Fall and Halloween decorations!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! I love the black background by the way!!
    Stay safe, healthy and happy!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Debbie. We love our porch and it does get alot of use, especially in the mornings. It stays pretty cool until around noon then the sun comes around and it is really quite hot until bedtime. We have watering on timers so it goes off every morning, but Jerry still waters some of the flowers in the afternoon. I will be glad when it is close to fall, just to be cooled down but I love fall decorating. I'm glad you liked the black background. I was beginning to think it only showed up on my end. haha. I think I will keep it for awhile, it is just fun to change up..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You garden is so beautiful and I love that you bring the flowers inside too. That photo of you with your grans? Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I love picking flowers to bring inside especially now, when I don't get to the store so much. That photo is a special memory..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. I so enjoy your blog, it always is so thoughtful, your photo vignettes are engaging, and of course I love the black. Green is a favorite color of mine, not that I have any color in my house here, but I always had a Hunter green study and guest room, a dark green classic sportscar, maybe it's the British in me, besides the fact I am an avid gardener. I find green to be so calming and soothing, like all your photos. We are going to need all the cooling greens you can muster, did you see 104 degrees this weekend 😡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I enjoy having you visit and reading your kind comments. I think I will keep the black for awhile. It really looks great with the bright, vibrant colors, as you say green is more calming. We have been in the high 90's here for awhile. I am ready for cooler weather..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. I had an art teacher one time to put either something black or green in every room to make it pop. I have never forgotten that. See you do like green, you just did not realize it. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Janice, I have heard that too. I think I heard that it was black and I usually do try to have some in each of my rooms. If it was green than I am right maybe half the time..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful blog post filled with incredible photographs! Your greens are all truly awesome. I must say I love your screened in porch!
    Have a glorious day and stay safe!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nancy. I appreciate your kind words and your visit. We do love the screened porch and it gets a lot of use all year long. In winter though, we have to move everything away from the screen so there isn't much room there then but we manage..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Hi Judy, such a nice post and I do love all your greens. Green has always been one of my favorite colors.. especially pink and green together. That's why I love your guestroom so much! forgot you had that pretty green dresser and see that pink and green rug?? Love it! I do like the black background for a change, with the white print. It goes well this time and year, and into the fall and winter.. but maybe come next spring, it would be nice to go back to a lighter color. For now I really like it. The color I didn't think I used much was aqua, but now as I look at alot of my older vintage things, and things my mom collected, almost everything has aqua in it! Alot is pink and aqua... but I like to stick to my pink and green mostly. Green to me is nature, and cooling and soothing.. love that dark green on your porch... and I once had dark green carpeting in my bedroom and I absolutely loved it! I loved walking in there every time as it was so calming and inviting. And I agree, this pandemic for quite awhile, made me very lazy. I think I've picked up my tempo now, but some days I just want to sit and read all day or watch movies all day, and close out the world.. and just be in my own little next and bury my head. I have to force myself some days to go outside! Well.. have a wonderful rest of the week. Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. When Tami was little we did a bright green carpet, pink flowered wall paper and I made a patchwork quilt of pink and green fabrics. It was so pretty and I loved it. Of course, when she got older the walls became covered with posters and that was the end of that. I think I will keep the black background for awhile and see how it goes. I do like it against brighter colors. I am still feeling very lazy and I do on most days what you want to do on some days!..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Hi Judy. I like the black or white for a background. Both are nice. Day 5 starting with no power for us. Ugh. Running low on patience and underwear lol. Love the pic of your grandmother’s cabin. My last comment went somewhere so trying this again. Have a good night. Hugs. Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. I do like the black with brighter colors and might stick with it for awhile. Hope you get your power on soon. How miserable that must be without air. That pic is a special memory, that's for sure..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. Wow!
    What an amazing post full of great photographs, which I enjoyed ... thank you.

    Sending my good wishes.
    Stay safe and well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jan. I'm glad you stopped by and liked it..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  15. Liebe Judy, deine Fotos sind wieder sehr schön, mit den schönen Sonnenblumen.Der schwarze Hintergrund von deinem Blog macht mich etwas traurig.Bleib gesung .
    Ich umarme dich von Herzen.
    Brigitte Schmidt/Deutschland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brigitte. I'm so glad you mentioned this. I am sad right now and did start to rethink the black. I will change it..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  16. Pretty photos, I love lavender :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kinga. I love lavender too..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  17. I love green! The painting from your grandmother is so gorgeous.
    Times are discouraging. I really try to avoid the news and concentrate on the blessings that have come out of Covid. Bill gets to work from home. Even though his job still has stress, he doesn't have to deal with Dallas traffic. We have had more time together than we have ever had in 36 years of marriage. I'm running out of meal ideas though. Your beautiful home is always an inspiration. Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Katie. That was such a good thing when people were allowed to work from home, I'm glad your hubby can. It is amazing how much time you can spend together when you are both at home all day. We have that too, luckily, in the form of retirement, so since we were here anyway, I can't see any thing good about this virus. We are having a fire close by this week so it is really hot, smoky and uncomfortable. Our power went out this morning so we were heating up until it came back on. I am trying to Keep In Touch, but some weeks, I just miss it. I don't like the way we have to link up with this new blogger stuff but I will be there when I can..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  18. The flowers are lovely. I never tire at looking at pretty flowers. This heat is really drying out our plants.
    Are you referring to the blog latabledenana. Her blog uses a black background. Stay cool Judy and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. This heat is awful and the smoke is so thick and bad. My kids say there are so many fires burning down in the Bay Area. We really don't need all of this, there is so much going on. No, the blog is "a quiet life". She has a beautiful garden and her flowers just pop against the black background. I thought it was so pretty..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  19. The Green Without Envy bath towel is a towel that's made of 100% recycled material. This means that the towel is made from 100% recycled paper, which means that it's environmentally friendly. The towel is made from bamboo and cotton. The bamboo is an eco-friendly material that's strong and has natural antibacterial properties. The cotton is the perfect complement to the bamboo, as it's soft and absorbent. This means that you'll feel refreshed and clean when you use this towel. custom clothing manufacturer in sydney

    ReplyDelete
  20. "The flowers are lovely. I never tire of looking at pretty flowers. This heat is really drying out our plants. Are you referring to the blog 'latabledenana'? Her blog uses a black background. If you're looking to enhance your blog's visual appeal or seeking ways to attract more readers, partnering with a professional digital marketing company can provide you with valuable insights and strategies to improve your online presence and engagement. Stay cool Judy and thanks for sharing!"




    ReplyDelete
  21. amazing post, I'm really impressed, keep it up, There's a company has great book writing services , must try

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy