Tuesday, August 25, 2020

YESTERDAY, TODAY AND TOMORROW...

 






Early morning fog over the mountains of Santa Cruz, California


I used to live 

in a land that was

 covered by fog. 

 Or, so it seemed!

When I lived with the fog,

 I felt at times, 

that it was taking over my soul. 

 It burrowed 

deep in my thoughts and emotions and 

felt too heavy 

to bear at times.




Smoke over the mountains of Grass Valley, California, from my kitchen window


Now,

 I live in a land

 that is covered in smoke. 

 Or, so it seems!  

 Living with the smoke, 

it makes it hard to breathe, 

the acrid odor that occurs

 is something nasty 

that takes me back 

to a scary place in my youth 

when my grandparent's house 

burned to the ground and 

the only thing left

 was black char and that horrible smell

 that happens 

when water hits burning wood and 

lingers in the air

 for what seems like forever.



Early morning sun, in a smoke filled sky, as seen through my kitchen window


The sun,

 though covered with smoke,

 is a ball of fire, 

spreading the heat

 like an unrelenting torch.





Ash is falling 
over every available surface. 
It even has entered 
into our screened porch.
  I wipe it down each morning,
 come evening
 there it is again.





Even when we are safe 

in the Cottage, 

with all the windows and doors closed, 

it feels as if 

somehow or other

 the smoke has crept in.





When the world 

we look out at is right,

 life is good.

  Isn't that how it always is? 

We count our blessings and 

feel pretty pleased with ourselves and 

the world around us. 

 When things start to become 

a little off 

that is when the weakness 

that we all have within us 

tries to take over. 

 Some times

 it is harder than others

 to get us back on track...





...but there are 

always ways.


I am finding it interesting to look back

 - one year ago -

 and see how my world was then.




August, 2019


It appears that 

the zinnias were thriving 

next to a pretty green lawn...



August, 2020


...not at all 

the same sight

 I see today.




August, 2019


The Chinese Lanterns 

were bright and vibrant, 

just starting out 

to welcome the fall...




August 2020


...not the limp and lifeless sight 

I see now.




August, 2020

The Crepe Myrtle tree, usually so full and bright, is just a former shadow of itself, with blossoms falling almost before they have opened up on the tree.


Today, 

there is a soft, pink haze

 that settles over all.  

That sounds so much like

 a pretty description 

if it weren't so tragic.

  The hills are ablaze 

around California 

with people losing their homes

 not too far from us. 

Three nephews were evacuated 

from their homes 

down by where my kids live, and 

there is ash and embers 

covering most all in between and beyond. 

California is a beautiful state 

with much to offer and 

even though there are 

people already suffering here

 from everyday living, 

now they have to contend with

 the added burden of

 the virus and the fires.





It doesn't always seem fair 

how this old world goes around, and 

sometimes it seems almost impossible

 that it can

 return right side up...





...but there is 

always hope and 

whether we live in a world 

covered by fog 

or by smoke

 or somewhere in between...






...we can dream 

of a better tomorrow.  

One that is 

as good as our yesterdays and 

one that will be 

so much better than today.





We would like to send 

all our thanks and humble gratitude 

to all the fire-fighters 

that came from near and afar 

to help keep us all safe.

 Jake's best friend, Parker, 

is one of those angels

 that have put their lives on the line

 to get the job done. 

We thank and love them all.



...Judy...






Stay smart,

 stay well, and 

remember to wear your masks. 



Sharing today at:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda


25 comments:

  1. What a truly beautiful post. I'm in Shasta County and the smoke has been bad - so your post really was understood and felt by me. I grew up on the coast so I know that fog. My old stomping grounds, San Mateo/Santa Cruz mountains and Big Basin. I am sick of what is happening. Living up here you just know that one day, there could be a fire but I never dreamt that the Santa Cruz mountains and the coastal range would ever be so bad - due to the moisture from the fog.

    Scary times we are living in. You take care - stay inside away from the smoke and when you have to get out, wear a N-95 mask. Not the ones we are using for covid. I'm seeing people using the wrong masks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Debby. I was born in Santa Cruz and moved to Grass Valley 30 years ago. My daughter and family live in Soquel and she works at the SC County animal shelter. They have taken in over 600 various animals from people who have been evacuated from their homes. It is so sad. Nothing like we ever saw back in the day. Felton, Scotts Valley have been heavily impacted by the fires. Yes, it is scary now and I am afraid it will only get worse. I always wear a mask if I go out which isn't very often. The smoke only makes whatever else is going on worse..Thanks for your kind words and stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So hope the fires do not reach you. We came home one evening many years ago to a field fire near us. The ash looked like snow the next morning and I still remember the smell. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janice. What we are experiencing is just such a small amount compared to others. We are getting the effect of the smoke but not the horrible fires which we are so thankful for. Was supposed to be contained last Friday but are now shooting for today. Thankfully, it is not as smoky today, but still the heat remains..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. beautiful photos, very interesting post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martyna. We keep moving along..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Judy,
    What a pensive post....It touched my heart so much so that I shared t on my Face book page....Please stay safe, my friend!! Sending prayers for your safety and all those affected by these fires and those who are fighting them....I have a nephew who is a professional Fire Fighter, Captain of a division, so I know the danger that they face on a daily basis....Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind comments....
    Stay safe and healthy, my friend!!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie. They are hoping to get the fire around us contained by late today. We have suffered from the smoke but nothing like everyone else involved. It is so hot and I feel for those valiant fire fighters on the front lines. Now, Hurricane Laura is causing havoc. There is such turmoil all over the world and I guess the best we can do is hope that our friends and family all stay safe and can endure it all..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. the fires have been so devastating to California. My sister in Carmel was forced to evacuate, fortunately the worse seems to be over and she has been allowed to return to her home. I am so sorry that you and others in your community have not only had to deal with the virus, but also this terrible natural disaster.

    Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Adrienne. I'm so glad your sister could return to her home. I can't even imagine how that must feel. My daughter, in her work at the animal shelter, says it is so sad to see grown men crying when they drop off their animals to be cared for while they have to evacuate their homes, especially not knowing if they will have a home to come back to. We are having to deal with the smoke, but am so thankful that is all it is right where we are, but fairly close by is a different story. Hopefully ours will be under control soon, but now the sad story are the hurricanes coming. I dont' know what would be worse. It is just bad times all over..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Usually I delete these but this one is good for a laugh, at least to me. I guess the poor woman writing is not laughing!! Why do we need to contend with things like this where there are real issues of importance out in the world?...J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Judy you are so right to give praise to those firefighters. They are hero's. Terry has always told me that is the hardest kind of firefighter to be. They are put so close to harms way and even with protective gear they do have reddened sunburned skin because of the heat. It is a tough job. The fires in California and the hurricanes in the south and the virus everywhere it is hard some days to not think is this it is the world coming to an end. Not to mention those murdering hornets too. Then we realize this has been going on for hundreds of years and we have all adapted and kept hope alive it will all get to a better place. I hope so. I pray for all of those people out by you that are in the path of the fires. Judy I am so happy to hear you are ok and away from the fires. It still makes life hard to be shut in tight and have to clean up the aftermath of the fires each day. Big hugs sweet friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, thanks so much. It is still smoky but I think they are getting a handle on the ones by us. Tami, at work, has taken over 600 animals in for evacuees in their area. So sad and who knows how much longer it will go on. The winds pick up occasionally and I know how devastating those are for the fires. Yes, we have been having bad things going on in the world around us for years, but I can't remember anything coming so fast and furious as all this stuff. It is almost hard to imagine but we keep doing what we can..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Dear Judy! It sometimes seems as if the world is ending around us. Riots/National guard battling 40 miles away...98 record heat...poor Texas contending with a faster category 4==more than anyone expected, and California and Colorado burning. I'm sure there are other disasters happening, but this seems to be enough to contend with. Lovely post---makes you think you are lucky---and wonder how one can help. Hope everyone can come through these manmade and natural or unnatural disasters. Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sandi, you are so right. I can't remember any time in my 80 years that things have been this bad all at once. It is unimaginable. Those hurricanes are not looking great. I have mentioned how much I like watching TV and there is one show we enjoy called Pitbulls and Parolies. It is a dog rescue run by a woman in Louisanna (my spelling is getting atrocious). She is by the 9th ward and is always getting hit by heavy rains. Moving over 200 dogs everytime must be so hard for them. There are people in this world who try their hardest to do right and it just doesn't make sense how they are the ones that always suffer..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. I'm afraid to say "How can 2020 get worse?" because I'm afraid it can. Please stay safe -- I hope the fires don't get too close to your home. I'm hoping that next year will be more like last, the garden in fuller bloom and no ash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I am so afraid that it can too. Even if some things get better, I am afraid that most will get worse. We are safe and the smoke is going away. The fire near us only ?? burned 750 acres and they say it will be contained by tomorrow. With the amount of smoke we got I was sure it burned way more than that. Anyway, it is getting better around us, but in other parts it sounds like it is worse with hurricanes and flooding in the mix now..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Oh Judy, was für ein schlimmes Jahr. Hoffentlich kommt das Feuer nicht zu Ihnen. Corona und Feuer das kann man fast nicht ertragen.Ich habe eine Nichte in Kalifornien,die Tochter meiner verstorben Schwester. Charmolie O Conner in San Jose.Sie lebt mit Ihrem Kind im Haus meiner Schwester.Ich konnte sie leider noch nie besuchen. wir telefoniern öfters.
    Liebe Judy bleib gesund ,wir dürfen die Hoffnung nicht aufgeben dass alles wieder gut wird !!!!

    Liebe grüße
    Brigitte Schmidt /Deutschland

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Brigitte, thanks so much. We are safe and well. The fire by us is getting under control and the smoke is not so bad now. It is still very hot though. Your niece lives not that far from my kids in Santa Cruz. They are all going through some tough times there too. My daughter works at the local animal shelter and they have taken in 600 plus animals to shelter while their people evacuate their homes. Very sad situation all around. Stay well my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic collection of scenic photos! It would be a mesmerising experience to live with nature. I love your flower painting. I recently started to write blogs on Painting and Handicrafts as I own an online store featuring various DIY handicraft supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I will check out your post..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. What a dreadful year 2020 has been.
    Please stay safe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much, Jan, and I wholeheartedly second that!!..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you write, you toss all angles around in the palm of your hand, punctuated with the perfect photos. yes, god bless all our fire fighters, we just contend with the smoke from afar, they are in harms way day in and day out, I pray this new heat wave doesn't bring additional woes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I enjoy the process. Yes, bless those fire fighters in deed. I keep holding my breath. As much as I am not a fan of the fog, I must admit some would be nice right about now..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy