Tuesday, August 4, 2020

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL...












Mardi Gras, 
in French,
 means Fat Tuesday,
 reflecting the last night 
of eating rich and fatty foods 
before the start of Lent, 
as per Wikipedia.






At Gold Country Cottage, 
in plain English,
 and because I am writing this on Tuesday, 
it means bright colors 
that don't necessarily go together and 
feasting on fatty foods 
for the last four months and
 having not much of anything else 
to show for it.






I have never participated 
in Mardi Gras
 but I have seen pictures and 
they bring to mind 
bright colors and 
shiny objects of celebration. 

 I know 
the time of year for Mardi Gras 
is long gone, 
but the bright colors 
of the zinnias 
is what 
prompted this post.
 
 When days seem too dark,
 something bright and shiny 
is needed to relieve the burdens
 that feel too heavy 
for our shoulders 
to bear...





...so,
 "Laissez le bon Temps Rouler", 
Let the Good Times Roll. 
 "Oui, cher",
 and we are featuring
 some good times 
in the kitchen
 this week.






Because 
there is nothing new
 to feature around here, 
I'm trying to make things
 interesting and pretty, 
working with what I have on hand, 
so here's to making 
the best of what 
we have.






I ordered this
 slice of watermelon 
from Antique Farmhouse last year. 
 Watermelon is a 
quintessential sign  of summer and 
since summer is here in full spirit, 
I thought I should
 drag it out and 
put it on display.






Watermelon accessories
 abound on top of the kitchen table.
  It seems that everything 
is here except
 the real thing.






We did not get much
 of a choice of zinnias this season. 
 The plants were not the right size 
nor the right colors. 
 We got mostly orange,
 with very short stems, and
 all the long stems were hot pink.
  A combination of colors, 
which I really don't mind,
 especially when associated
 with Mardi Gras, 
but for this decor scheme,
 if I had my choice, 
I wouldn't have picked them.
  However,
 along with some garden greens tucked in,
 not a bad decoration.














The wreath 
that I brought home before shutting down 
is placed hanging on the blackboard.  
I love the look of a blackboard 
when it is used 
just as background for something else.
  Words of wisdom 
are always appropriate
 but sometimes it is just as nice
 to be seen
 and not heard.






The tiniest of white pitchers 
just to add an additional pop 
of the curious colors
 across the room.






















When one 
already resides in a kitchen 
with a 
congregation or confusion 
of chickens,
 does adding one more 
really matter?






I had one little square canvas
 left over from painting 
all the Santa's, 
so I am taking the liberty 
of showing you my 
latest creation - my attempt
 at creating a masterpiece. 
 Now, believe it or not,
 this one was not traced, 
there was not one line of pencil work
 before I picked up the paintbrush. 
 This all started out
 in my head,
 came through my hand, and 
ended up on the canvas.
 I am quite pleased 
but, of course,
 not totally satisfied,
 but I don't think
 it is such a
 bad job.





I really want to thank 
all of you
 who read my post last week and 
left very thoughtful comments for me.
 
 I hope that you came back 
to read my answers, 
but if not,
 just know that I appreciate
 everything you said and 
take it all to heart.
 
 We all have our beliefs. 
There can be no one else's words 
that can change mine or yours. 
 Hopefully, 
it is all food for thought and 
the only way 
to really get our personal
 beliefs across 
is to 
vote.





Continue to be 
smart, 
safe
 and wear your masks.


...Judy...





Sharing today with:

and
















32 comments:

  1. Hi Judy, the watermelon plates are fun and colorful. One cannot have enough chickens. Your talents amaze me. Continue to remain safe and enjoy the rest of the week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Linda. Something really wierd is happening with my comments. I am getting doubles from everyone in my inbox but not here. I wrote you an e-mail to get your expertise..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the watermelon sign and watermelon is my favorite Summer fruit. So loving your watermelon displays too! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. Watermelon is my favorite but I haven't had a slice this summer. Only fake ones! Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Judy, That is a nice collection of chickens and you did a fine painting of one yourself. I like all the watermelon things too. Yes, that does say summertime. I have to tell you, I am in love with your kitchen. I am still wearing my mask...our county has more cases and people are not wearing masks...some stores it expected. But I am amazed with school ready to start and those young adults not wearing mask surely have children. Blessings to you, stay safe, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Susie. I love my kitchen too and the watermelon colors just seem to go in there, although I would love a piece of real watermelon. I haven't had any this summer yet. I wear my mask eveyplace, I even hang it off my ear when riding in the car, just in case someone comes up to the window. We are adding cases too and the more that are added, the more "stupid" I see around. I guess we just have to be selfish and take care of ourselves. I'm sure glad that I don't have any school age kids or grandkids now..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool collection, nice flowers ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kinga. Have a wonderful day and stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Judy,
    What a beautiful post!! Joe bought me this beautiful pot of zinnias and it was eaten alive by insects and died in a little over a week!!!we had the Hottest July on record for our area with 16 days in the 90's, which here in NEPA, is a rarity and one I surely hope does not happen again...Not only do we get temps. in the 90's but we have dew points which are considered Tropical...Since when did NEPA become tropical!!! For that reason, I was stuck in the house most of July with the air conditioning blaring! But I did a lot of deep cleaning...almost the entire downstairs so I made good use of the time indoors.For that reason, this summer has been a bust in my mind....I have had to water continuously to keep my flowers alive since we have had very little rain except for the tropical storm that blew through yesterday and dumped 2 1/2 inches of rain on my back yard....6 inches in the Pocono Mountains..I hope that I can get a few more days and evenings spent out on my patio and front porch, simply reading a book...I am looking forward to the Fall though and cooler weather...Fall is my favorite Season....Take care!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. It has been an especially warm summer here too, what I can remember of it. It seems to go by so quickly and here it is almost fall. I am looking forward to fall also. It is one of my favorite seasons. You got much more done that I did this summer. I have been so lazy. Maybe when it gets cooler I will have more spunk..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Zinnias and watermelons are two of the things I really associate with summer and you captured them both perfectly. I'm also in love with all your chickens! What a delightful way to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanie. I agree. I wish I had a big slice of watermelon and could sit by your lake while enjoying it..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. I love the watermelon plates those are fabulous. Love Zinnias they are such happy flowers. Hope you have a great rest of the week sweet friend. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. You know I will..Stay well my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Oh Judy, what a delightful post and I love all of your chickens. Your painting came out great! It is always wonderful to see and read something uplifting and positive at this time. Your home is enchanting. Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lorraine, I appreciate you saying all that. Yeah, it is not always ranting and raving over here, but I still say a good rant never hurt anybody! Stay well, dear friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Wonderful zinnias and love all the fabulous images Judy.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diane. The zinnias don't ever disappoint when you want a splash of bright color..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. I love all your zinneas! The oranges and hot pinks really go so pretty together.. really brighten things up. Love the photo of your entire kitchen (that side anyway) and all the pretties in it.. with the flowers on the table.. and the watermelon looks so real! Oh.. and I think your painted chicken is wonderful! You did great and I admire you doing it from your head and hand and no pre-lines. You are so talented. I think it would be fun to go out and just take close up pictures of flowers.. we just don't have too many this year and they are just the standard ones, like marigolds and petunias and a few pansies. We did get some glads that came up and bloomed, but were smaller than normal and their blooms are so short lived. We planted them about 3 years ago and they do winter over but each year, are smaller and smaller. And the ones that bloomed are done now! Oh well...... it's hot here as usual and everything seems so dry! Hope you have a good week! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. I love taking pics of flowers, really getting to the inside of the petals, but I don't have that many in the garden either to have a good variety. Nothing has done that well in the garden this year. We water everyday but don't know if it is not enough or too much. When you are not a gardener by nature, there is a lot a person doesn't know..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. Hi Judy, I love those zinnias, when it's hot like it is, they are the only flower it seems to take the heat well. Looks like a real water melon on your plates. I thought it was right at first. Nice kitchen table set with flowers. I am looking for a small table for my kitchen that has a metal top, like enamel. I love those old tables with the slide out sides. I like how you have your pictures on your blog. I like how they are framed.
    I am having trouble again with this blogger sending all my mail to spam and taking so long to load. Every time blogger updates something, they actually make it worse it seems. Tired of trying to figure it out.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Betsy. Those colors on zinnias while beautiful just look hot sometimes! I never noticed it that much but now that you mention it that does look pretty real on the plate. Those plates are cute and are melamine. They came from Raley's grocery store, they have a section of seasonal pretties, or at least they did way back when. I haven't been there recently! I have seen tables like you are talking about in antique shops occasionally. I like them too. The new blogger seems to be doing OK for me so far, but of course there is probably something I am not seeing as it went too easy! The only thing now is that I am getting three notifications now of the same comments. Once, under the blog post, and twice in my in-box. ??? Makes me tired also..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing your fun summer time decorations. Love the watermelon theme as I love sunflowers and watermelon for August decor. Your rooster picture is wonderful! Congrats on your growing artistic talents!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ellen. I know, watermelons and sunflowers just say summer. Sunflowers are on the way! I think that picture didn't turn out too badly. I was just so excited that I did it all on my own. Wonder how long the magic can last?.Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  15. Lots of eyecandy here, Judy. Loving your warm country kitchen and all the flowers. I know that mine are so bright this year, is it the lack of pollution, or US taking the time to see, really see everything out of sheer boredom...LOL. Enjoying your posts all the time, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. I think you are on to something. Maybe we are taking more time to look and see now. Well, I guess there can be a good side to everything if we look long enough..I always enjoy your visits..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  16. Hallo liebe Judy,dein Zuhaus ist wunderschön, da würde ich mich auch wohlfühlen. Ich sammle kleine Engelfiguren ich habe sie in meinem ganzen Haus verteilt. Ich glaube daran dass sie uns beschützen!!!
    Liebe Grüße

    Brigitte Schmidt/Deutschland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brigitte. I love "playing" house and enjoy changing things up once in awhile. My daughter also collects angels and has quite a few. She feels the same way about hers as you do, and has given me some too. I have a plaque in the garden that reads "Leave a path open so that angels can walk through". I love it..Stay well over there in the Deutschland, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  17. Judy, your colors are gorgeous. And I never know if I like your pictures or words more. Actually, I think they are perfectly paired, so who could choose. Your "seen and not heard" comment made me laugh and I love that texture on your walls. So beautiful. Keep sharing your pretty home, it may not all be new to you, but some of it is to us! Be well! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kim. I appreciate it. The texture is actually wall paper that is just white and then you paint it what color you want. We painted it yellow when we first put it up, but then when we went "farmhouse" we changed to white. I will keep sharing, probably nothing much will change as not much going on around here..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  18. Such a cute post, love all your watermelon dishes. I am a dishaholic, love to collect them, all my life, tablescaping can be a wonderfully fun and creative outlet with the benefit of food to follow! Your chickens are darling and of course I'm always love a garden tour!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much. I love playing with dish settings and arranging flowers is really my most favorite thing to do. I'm so glad you stopped by for a visit..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy