Tuesday, July 27, 2021

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN AND THE BEST THAT IS...

 





I have to be very careful sometimes when I start writing words.

  My daughter is a faithful reader of my blog posts,

 and she has, more than once, called me to say,

 "You scared me when I first started reading". 

 Like she thought I was going off the deep end or seeing things in a bleak fashion.  

That is never my intent, I am normally a very happy, seeing the bowl half full type of person,

 but sometimes the melodrama kicks in,

 I fancy myself a writer

 and the words just come out.

  I can read a book and think why didn't I think of that phrase

 or why didn't I explain a situation just like that? 

 It is always easy to see things in someone else's mirror 

but sometimes harder to see them in your own.

  But, then I write words like those you just read,

 and I feel foolish and embarrassed reading them back. 

 Like I am trying to be more than I am.

 That has always been my problem and it is a hard one to break.





As long as I can remember, 

I have always wanted to be a decorator/designer. 

 I don't mean someone who changes pillow covers and sets a pretty table, 

I mean one who went to school, put in the hard work, and earned the piece of paper that states,

 "You are Qualified".  

I was never what you would call a good student.  

I easily picked up typing, shorthand, spelling, reading, times tables (but only through 10) 

but I only learned the basics of history, math, English or anything that took a big effort.

  I kind of tackled school the same way I do gardening. 

 Do it once and then think it will take care of itself forever after.  

School, itself, was not my focus.

  I took interest in subjects that I liked but didn't want to put the effort into anything that I didn't 

or what didn't come easy right away. 

 Friends and fun took center stage during those years for me. 

 I ended up after high school, going to business school, and I had some good secretarial jobs after that. 

 I enjoyed it but after getting married and having children, 

I didn't want to do that kind of work anymore,

 I just wanted to stay home and enjoy my family. 

 I was fortunate that the Captain always had a good job

 and that made it possible for me to do that. 

 I did do some house cleaning for a couple of ladies, while the kids were in school,

 but since I always enjoyed cleaning the house, those didn't seem like jobs,

 just extensions of what I liked to do.

  They let me change their furniture arrangements, 

arrange flowers for their tables 

and the money I earned went for anything that would improve the decorations in my home. 

 So, I guess I fulfilled my wishes in a way. 

 I dabble in decorating, whether right or wrong,

 without having to be put to the test.



I mentioned flower arranging 

and that would have been another big bright spot in my world 

had I taken hold of the reins and made a decision to learn how to do it.

  Looking back, it was always easier to sit and dream and wish 

than to actually do anything that would lead to something substantial. 

 The same with photography. 

 I did take a photography class at one time,

 but rather than really learn how to use a camera,

 I was only interested in taking the picture.

  To this day, 

I don't know what many of the adjustments are 

or how to use them.



I think it is a natural part of human growth 

to see life in a different perspective the older you get.

  I am more than happy with the way my life is.

  I don't have a lot of money, and no matter how anyone may think or feel, money is key,

 but I am comfortable. 

 I don't need  much else, but it is fun to be able to buy a 'little something' when you want to.

  We have traveled some and feel content to be 'home' now

 and we have a wonderful family, where things are always changing for the good, 

and these things are all what make a satisfying life. 

 But, still, I find myself looking back sometimes 

on 'what might have been' and thinking how great it could have been

 but not regretting it, at all, as to how it is now. 

 Does that make sense? 

 That is what I mean when I say that I have to be careful in the words that I write. 

 In my head it always makes sense,

 but does it in yours?




All this retrospect came forth for the small price of $4.99.

  We had Discovery Plus added to our lineup of good TV shows. 

 Surely, by now, you know how important TV is to me!  

There are a whole lot of shows that are of interest to us,

 but the Magnolia Network is the best. 

 Chip and Joanna Gaines of Fixer Upper fame have started this network

 and they have chosen different characters from different walks of life

 in the same way that they have always tackled every one of their projects, 

 with so much thought, natural ability, expertise and class. 

 One of my favorites, out of many, is a show called "Growing Floret". 

 A story of a very talented and determined young woman in Washington state 

who is a flower farmer 

and how she, her husband and crew, have made her dream come true. 

 I ordered her current book,

 "A Year In Flowers", 

and it is filled with nothing but

 true beauty and good advice.





The photography, 

done by Erin's husband, Chris, is just glorious. 

 This couple is certainly fulfilling their destiny 

through hard work, fortitude, learning as they go, and the will to achieve her dreams

 of changing the world, 

one flower at a time...





...and what a beautiful way to live life!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

And, now for the very best that is:

Once upon a time...



There was the
 sweetest, littlest, tow-headed grandson
 a grandmother ever had...




...and as that sweet little boy grew,
 he found the sweetest little girl...

(good job, Tweetie Bird)




...and as they grew together,
  more years and accomplishments
 went by...






 ...and last week 
Jake proposed to Jacenda
 on Alcatraz Island
 in the San Francisco Bay,
 and now we have the grand daughter
 we have been waiting for.
  
 Congratulations, Jake and Jacenda. 
 We are so proud of you both
 and all the hard work that you have accomplished
 in your short lives. 
 We love you both
 to the moon and back...and 
Happily Ever After.





I hope you are enjoying

 a wonderful summer

 doing all the things you love to do.



...Judy...




The best
 Christmas In July
 ever.


Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda






29 comments:

  1. Oh, goodness, I totally love that last photo...true love. And, the blessings of being satisfied with life makes you truly rich, indeed. Hugs, and I know I have been life-reviewing in my head and not having any big 'remorses'. I stopped my careers to care for my parents, and I will never regret those 8-10 years where life was spent on the road to make sure they were 'okay'. Hugs, and tell your daughter to not take things so literally---we have to vent occasionally or us, 'old folks' ...'splode! LOL. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. I had a few years, along with my Dad and sister, of taking care of my mom when she was sick. I don't regret those years either and, in truth, I don't sit and pine for the years I could have done something about and didn't. That is just the way I'm made, I guess. I just take my chances that everything will turn out OK, and mostly I have been right. It is so true that life is too short for regrets. I am finding that out more and more the older I get..Happy Summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Congrats to Jake and Jacenda. Young love!!!! I started out in school with business coarses. That is what my parents said would be best for getting a job after high school. So I did and just was never really happy. Always wanted more. So after my youngest daughter went into full time school 1st grade I decided to go to college. I thought what am I doing here late in life. With the support of Terry I went back to college and became a nurse. I always wanted to be a nurse. NO time in life is ever too late. I had a 25 year career as a nurse and then retired to help out with my grand girls. The beauty of nursing is I could work shifts at night and the girls were never without mom before and after school. I could be a room mom and be at every special event at school. I also only worked part time at it since Terry had a good job. I to always felt if I had not become an RN I would have loved to become a decorator too. Have a great week Judy. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. The funny thing about everything is that even though I always wanted to be a decorator, I took business courses and I really loved them. Every legit job I had was as a secretary. I worked for an Assemblyman in our district and in banking. I really liked them all. But those are the things that came easy to me. To this day, I want to be hands on something and learn it that way rather than from a book. I guess that is why I am so bad at technology. I haven't figured it all out on my own yet! I look at my kids and think I guess I did something right and that is all I need nowadays..Happy Summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Oh Judy a lovely post that took me down YOUR memory lane! What a sweet story about your grandson growing up.. and now engaged! How fun and how rewarding to see those years happening right before your eyes. I look back and there WERE things I wish I would have pursued. I, like you, kind of dabbled in many different things, doing just what I needed to do and learn, to enable me to do it somewhat, but not with total focus and total learnng or degrees, etc. I do kind of regret that, but I have always done the things I love the last 45 years for which I'm forever grateful. Each thing I tackle is usually with just the minimal of learning, just enough to be able to do it fairly well... sewing, photography, cooking, crocheting, clothes making, quilting, gardening. The one thing I do REALLY well is read a good book! If I'm engrossed in a good book, sometimes I will stay up all night reading it! As far as a job, I was pretty much just carried along with what I fell into right out of high school, and never did attempt to change it. I did want to be a clothes designer and I remember one time, I made up my own "portfolio" and went to some office in downtown Portland in response to a job interview request. I failed miserably, as hadn't really done my homework. Oh well.. at least I tried! I'm glad you are still doing what you love, and your photography is always gorgeous! xoxo Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. You have so many talents that you are good at! I really wish I had been a better student, I might have pushed myself to go to college, but business school was a good choice for me too. I am more than happy with my life as it is and was, but I think I could have done both if I had tried. I am happy in the moment and that is a good thing..Happy Summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Judy, first of all, I can say I get it. My husband and I literally had this conversation tonight in the car, about looking back and what might have been. However, I can truly say that, while you may not be getting paid for it, you are 100%, without a doubt, both a bonafide writer and decorator...and fabulous at both tasks. You write so eloquently, the words just flow and you already know how I feel about your home. You treat decorating like an art form. If your home were a shop, I'd be broke and you my friend, would be sitting on a bare floor with empty walls!! SO while you may not be "certified" I think you have touched more people with your blog, inspired them and entertained, than you ever could've done with a local biz. And congrats to your wonderful grandson and his fiancee! How exciting!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. I appreciate all your kind words and I find it very fulfilling that they are coming from someone with your talents. I feel very honored that you think of me in that way and I return the compliments ten fold, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Hi Judy,
    First, Congratulations to your grandson Jake and Jacenda. Best wishes for their future. Second, I think we all (especially as we get older) look back and wonder the "what ifs". I believe it is human nature. That doesn't mean that we are not happy with how our life turned out and you are never too old to try something new or do something that you have always wanted to do but didn't have the time or whatever. I know I am the same way. One thing I tried in the last couple of years that I NEVER thought I would enjoy, let alone be pretty good at is painting. I am by no means an artist but it is something I enjoy and so far I like what I have done, mainly painting birdhouses that my husband makes. So good luck with your dreams whatever they may be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynda. I agree with everything that you say. I love to paint also. I have tried my hand a little at painting from scratch (and scratch is what it looks like mostly) but it is fun to do. I love doing paint by number paintings and have two of them sitting around waiting for me to start. Thanks for reminding me and keep painting..Happy Summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. This is a wonderful food-for-thought post, Judy. The roads we didn't take for whatever reasons -- lack of money, bad timing, other options won out. We always wonder, not in a "I wish I had" way but more of a "I wonder what would have happened" way. I certainly wonder what would have happened if I'd taken advantage of a year in England studying children's theatre on scholarship, which I didn't because I was too scared. Or if I'd taken a job with "Frontline" in Boston. Or other things, too. They would have been good experiences, fun, enriching, probably life changing -- but if it changed the life I ended up with, I'm not so sure it would have been best. We never know.

    I'm thrilled with your photos of your family and all those sweet faces -- and now wonderful, exciting news. And you know what? You DO arrange flowers! And anything you don't know, you can learn watching the flower arranging show on public TV or probably youtube for sure! It's just fitting it in, wanting it enough. And sometimes, not wanting it enough is more than fine,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. You are so right. If I had gone another way and it changed the life I ended up with, that would have been bad. But, life is what we make it so it probably would have been good too. The only thing important would be if it would have changed the family that I have now. I am so excited about the kid's engagement, I can't hardly think straight..Happy Summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Congrats, pretty flowers too ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kinga. We are all very excited..Happy Summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Judy,
    I loved this post...And I felt that I cold have written it to some degree....I did not get to do what I wanted to do as a profession which was also being a decorator/Designer....But I have always been able to do what I wanted to do in my own home which I know some women are not allowed to do because of their husbands....I am thrilled to finally be retired and now being able to "Play" in my house and garden like I always wanted to do!! We traveled a bit when the boys were young and have no desire to do so now...We are close to our family which is such a Blessing!! I too am a huge TV fan even though Joe does not share my love for some shows...I am glad to be living a simple life right now ..Thanks so much for reminding me of that, my friend!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. Yes, I know a lot of friends who can't do what they want in their own homes without approval. I always give my hubby the respect to let him know what I am thinking and usually he does agree, but sometimes not! It almost kills me (haha) that sometimes I have to agree with him! but we do work well together, most of the time. We are lucky that we enjoy most of the same shows also, but if there is a football game or a car show on, I usually retreat to the computer..Happy Summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Hi Judy! Congratulations to you and Jake and Jacenda! Such a happy time. I don't ever look back in a "what if" way except to think how disastrous it all could have been! But I am probably the odd one out. So glad you can apprciate my whites. I find white soothing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jacqueline. I really think you are better off if you just keep your eyes forward and enjoy what is right in front of you..Enjoy the rest of the summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. I just LOVE visiting here, I treat you like reading a book, i come and catch up on my chapters, always with a huge grin as I scroll! Your a step back in time, simple, pure pleasure with a deep joy in life, your daughter should be VERY proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much, Jain. I appreciate all your kind descriptions and although I find it very foreign, I do like to hear it. I like to think that I try to be all those things, but it will take a lot longer road than I have to fulfill any of them..I hope you are enjoying what is left of summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Congrats to Jacenda and Jake, such a darling couple. Flower arranging is an art. Charming post Judy. Thanks sop much for sharing. Hope you are enjoying summer. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. Thanks for your congratulations. We are so happy for them and look forward to seeing what is next for them..Hope you are enjoying summer also and staying cool..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Hi Judy! How wonderful for your family - congratulations to Jake & I scenes. They look like such a sweet couple. Like you, I always dreamed of being a trained interior designer. I remember meeting with my guidance counselor in high school about career choices. I mentioned designer and he said my only real options were teacher, nursing, clerical or getting married. Yikes. I wish I had been stronger and gave the design option a try. I don't regret how my life turned out, but like you sometimes I wonder what if? Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. We are so happy for them. They are the sweetest! I never was asked what I would like to be, it was just so natural back then for girls to take on secretarial jobs. I am not complaining, I did enjoy it, and who knows if my life had been different than how it is, that might not have been the best for me. I am content with how it is..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. How wonderful to have a new granddaughter in your life and congrats to the sweet little couple! Love the photos - such an exciting time of life. I can totally relate to everything, Judy. I even had a housekeeping gig for 10 years to help my decorating habit ( and pay for all the teenager's many activities at the time). I think it might be good to know a little about a lot of things instead of the other way around. I call it 'well-rounded' haha! Unfortunately I could be described as well-rounded physically, too :) Sometimes I regret not being able to follow some of my dreams, but it wasn't for lack of trying. I think we end up doing exactly our destiny. It takes a lot of skill to run a home, raise a family, care for loved ones in sickness and health and all the other unpaid labors of love. We need to value that. It takes a lot of support to follow a dream or have a career, and so we were the ones who supported all the family members who pursued their dreams. That's a true sacrifice and something to be proud of. No regrets. We are the queens of everything:) xx K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen, and you have said it better than I have ever heard it. But, then, you always do. Throughout life there are always things that we will wish for but I do think that it happens the way it is supposed to. I do look back and wish I had a little better knowledge that I could have gotten from schooling, but it is hard to get better than just plain common sense in a whole lot of ways. I am content and know that my life is just the way it was supposed to be..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. Thanks to your recommendation, I'm going to find the Magnolia Channel. Sounds worth watching. I gave up regular TV and now only stream channels worth watching, which (of course) does not include any news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your visit. I will e-mail you to let you know how to find it. I'm sure it has a lot to interest you..Happy Summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  15. Edgewood Landscaping
    At The Detail Guys, landscaping is one of our greatest passions. Our crew of creative professionals can provide all kinds
    of custom landscaping services in Bel Air, MD, and other surrounding locations. With our expertise, we can bring together
    all the components of quality landscaping in order to create a beautiful environment just for you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy