Sunday, December 17, 2023

CHRISTMAS: SIMPLY DONE, PART ONE...

 






While writing my last post,
I was thinking about the Garland's Christmases
and imagining them to be a little on the simpler side.
Maybe I'm wrong
as the Victorians were known for their excesses,
but in this little Cottage
I don't think that was the case.





WELCOME ONE AND ALL 
to our Christmas Cottage.





We are humbled that you are here
and hope you enjoy and experience
the same happiness
that we always feel whenever
we step over the threshold.
Listen carefully,
and you might hear long ago voices
from Christmases that
have come and gone.


THE ENTRY










Mr. T. Bear is the official greeter
this Christmas.  He is at the ready
with his Christmas book of facts
in case you might have
any questions.
  



Our guardian angels are in place

to assure that you have a

pleasant experience during

your time here.





THE PARLOR





After I got the tree up and decorated
with the red ornaments, strands of
popcorn and gold beads,
red velvet and satin ribbons
and the white anniversary roses,
the parlor walls practically screamed 
at me to stop.  That was when I
started to see the forest for the trees.
Of course, as you might expect,
that only stopped me for awhile.




After Christmas last year, 
I bought some copper ornaments
for the sitting room as I
wasn't too fond of red with
the new sofa.  I didn't know
exactly how I would use them
but thought I would give them a try.
I actually put one on the tree 
with all the red and was
pleasantly surprised at how
well it all went together.
It just gives a little more
warmth and depth to the over
all appearance. 






I just love the size and shape
of this little tree that
we got last year.  What
started out as an ugly
duckling turned into the
proverbial swan.
Perfection for this small
Cottage parlor.








A simple faux garland is hung 
by the chimney with care.
I added sprigs of real cedar
so it looks more realistic.
A small wreath with a red
velvet bow hangs in the center...






...boughs of cedar and holly
are placed on the mantel shelf
surrounding the quilt square
painting and three vintage carolers.
I added stenciled snowflakes
to the painting...





...that seem to reflect in the milkglass
 plates that belonged to my
 grandmother.  The white tapers 
are from Amazon and are the
most realistic battery operated 
candles that I have seen.






I pulled this little house out of the
cupboard and surrounded by tiny 
trees, it looks warm and welcoming
tucked back in the corner.






A small tea table is set before the
hearth.  This is a whimsical set
that I found in a catalog years ago
and never have taken it out to
show it off.  I did, and do,
think it is the cutest thing and finally
found a place for it.  It is
made of cardboard and perfect
for a simple Christmas setting...





...up close you can see how realistic
it is in every detail.



...in Victorian days the fireside
was so important as a symbol
of family life that magazine editors
were almost poetic in writing
about it.  The romance of the
hearth was a perfect place
for a cozy chat and exchange
of confidences or even a setting for
"eloquent silences" among those
gathered there, where castles
were built and half formed
plans were perfected.  To the
private home life of a family,
the hearth was almost a shrine.
Cherished fireside moments
were more than material comfort
for the Victorian family.
As one editor wrote, 
"charm for the spirit" that in
time became sacred memories.


Excerpts from Victorian Magazine, December 2001






  We were sitting in the parlor one
evening and dreaming outloud (me)
that maybe it would be nice to
get another heater stove like the
little red one in the kitchen
for the parlor.  Then we (me)
thought about the one in the
guest room that didn't heat up
any more but the flames still
worked.  The Captain very
graciously (??) said he would move
the stove and now it feels
so cozy in here...
 


...and even though the stove produces
no heat, the ambiance it adds
is warm indeed.

 



Next time will be the rest of the decorated
rooms.  Because of my computer 
problems I lost a lot of time so will
fit everything in when I can.  Check
your inboxes, if interested, because
I probably will post more than
once until then.  







In the meantime try to figure out
how reindeer can fly through
a field of orchids and butterflies.
It is possible if you believe
in the magic.







Hope everyone is enjoying
the holiday season.


...xxoJudy...






Sharing today at:

10 comments:

  1. All looks beautiful Judy. I love your tree. I need to find a new tree after this year. I would like a smaller one with long branches and not really full. Hard to find. Enjoy this week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Kris. I love this one, just 7 feet tall and not a lot of branches. Got it through Grandinroad and much cheaper than some others..Merry Christmas my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you sell yourself short in saying not so much excess! You have plenty of excess -- but in a beautiful and wonderfully designed way! I love all your touches. It's so warm and cozy -- anyone would want to spend time there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I guess I just can't help having excess! I don 't know why I try to fight it. If you live in a Victorian do as the Victorians do! Merry Christmas..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Judy,
    I always enjoy seeing your beautiful Cottage but it is such a wonderful treat to see it at Christmas...And you did not disappoint....Just beautiful ad I do adore the way you spin a yard of a tale...So charming!! That Tree is definitely a beauty and I adore the ribbons tied on the Tree...Looking forward to the next time you post....Thanks so much for sharing!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb..I always appreciate your kind comments and always happy to share. I do love the ribbons and bows too. Im working hard to get it all in in time . Merry Christmas xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. You did a wonderful job and there is a lot of sweet Christmas all through your house. I thought I would do less this year--but I was wrong. I dragged out most all of my Christmas stuff-lol. I hope you have a blessed, wonderful Christmas. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diana. I need to quit saying I am going to cut back. I think it is just a gene that I have and probably can't do anything about it! Merry Christmas my friend. Hope you and family have a wonderful one..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. So many sweet Christmas beauties bringing joy spread throughout your home Judy! I love the fireplace too, and it really does add a special ambience to just have the flames, I agree! May you have a blessed and very special Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marilyn. It doesn't take much to trick my mind! We are really enjoying it. Have a very Merry Christmas with your family..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy