Thursday, December 21, 2023

CHRISTMAS: SIMPLY DONE, PART TWO...

 





 he




We left off here last time
when the sun was shining on
a cold winter's day.  Now it is raining 
and has warmed up a bit, but the Christmas spirit is still alive here in the Gold
Country as we continue on with
our simply done Christmas.


THE SITTING ROOM





I haven't gone to any great
lengths to decorate in the
sitting room.  To be honest, I am so disappointed that we didn't get
the room painted but, since it
is the room we spend the most
time in, I had to do a little something.



 
The spine doctor that the Captain saw
after his bout with sciatica suggested he
 get an exercise bike so that went into the library.  We had to find room
for the chairs and the lamp
table then so they came into the
sitting room.  It is not a bad
fit so will stay here temporarily, 
at least until we paint.  In
the meantime it is a good place
for Santa to take a rest and spend
time with his number one 
reindeer.







That's all folks!!

THE DINING ROOM



Tried and true is always a good option.
If it isn't broke, don't fix it so I didn't do
too much.  Everything is pretty
much the same from year to
year in the dining room...



...the only real difference is this old
sweet fruit or produce box that we
found in our neighbor's junk pile.  With
his permission,  I found a place to set  
some smalls that otherwise sometimes
get lost in the shuffle. 





The old prim Santa rides his sled
on top of the table...




...along with a wooden salad bowl
filled with cedar boughs, holiday fruit
and veggies and a "welcome"
pineapple.  Most of them are dried
from year's past and I'm
hoping the pineapple will
dry over time also.





The usual suspects from holidays
past are gathered again and
Bitty Morsel has taken two
newbies in hand.  They are the
Kindness Twins, a thoughtful gift
from a cherished friend, just
because.  I love them.



A plain faux cedar garland hangs
over the settle bench, gussied
up with a shiny string of
Christmas ornaments.  Little
twinkle lights are added along
with vintage quilt squares.




THE KITCHEN





I didn't put a tree up in the 
kitchen this year, but placed
smaller trees around instead.
Not any of them with any
special ornaments, just the
usual wishing star, a few dried
orange slices and some sparkles.











Goatzie hauled a large snow
covered tree in his cart, to
the town square of Holly Farms...




...where all the villagers were
tucked inside their little red
cottages.








I found these charming plates on Antique Farmhouse...



...sorry, Santa, I'm hoping they will
hold real cookies soon.




I also added them to the table dish stack along with a variety of other
holiday colors.




I thought a red and white checked
tablecloth would give the
kitchen that extra Christmas
spirit.




I always put together the Captain''s
favorite candle of the season.



I hope you enjoyed our Christmas
Cottage this year.  I am putting
together one last post and it
should be coming your way in the
next couple of days.  In years
past I have featured the Cottage
by candlelight.  I will attempt
to do that again this year,
but it might look a little
different from a new 
perspective.  I am anxious to
see that myself.

 I was using Picasa
to edit my photos from the very
beginning of writing this blog.
When Google quit backing it, I was
still able to use it, until my computer
crashed.  I was so disappointed
to hear that I couldn't get
Picasa on my new computer.
I am now using Gimp and it is quite
different. (I heard from authority, my daughter, that she likes my photos better 
now) I don't know what Google had
in mind after not backing Picasa
because Google Photos can't compare
in my opinion.  So far Gimp is pretty
good, but after the holidays I will
check out some other sites for
comparison.  Any references
would be appreciated.  
This new
computer is taking way more time to 
figure out for me but it is
like a wonderful Christmas gift
when I can figure something
new out.  I still have to learn 
how to get my watermark back on
my photos and I would like to enlarge 
them back to how I did before.
However, I will not give up...  



...I will be making lemonade
out of lemons!

Have a wonderful time as we get 
closer to Christmas.

...xxoJudy...










 








17 comments:

  1. It's all so lovely!! The tree is gorgeous, and I love the centerpiece with the pineapple. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy! You have captured the perfect old fashioned and cozy Christmas vibe in your house. There are too many beautiful things, I can't pick a favorite - it's all heavenly in my book. Your little sled on the stable - that just might be my favorite. I miss Picasa too and I gave on Google pics long ago. Let me know if you find a good alternative. I'm limping along with just my iPhone photos. Looking forward to your candlelight tour! Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. I have a lot of stiff and didn't even use the half of it this year. I think my favorite is the gingerbread house that I painted. It was green ceramic, a gift from my daughter years ago. I also love the Santa above it. I'm using Gimp now and we shall see if the candlelight part comes out OK. Merry merry merry..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. It's all so homey and cozy and I love every bit of it. Your plate stack is wonderful and so fun!! I use PicMonkey and couldn't do without it. They have several levels of pay but definitely worth it for me. Have a wonderful Christmas Judy. Hope your family plans work out this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debra. I have used PicMonkey in the past, and totally forgot about it. Will try again. As it turns out we will be celebrating with the kids on January 14. Better late than never.. Have a wonderful Christmas..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Judy,
    O MY!! I always love seeing your beautiful cottage especially at Christmas!! So charming, welcoming and cozy!! I just love it!!Your Kitchen always has held a special place in my heart!!! I still do my bike as part of my recovery from my knee surgery....It really helps with the mobility of my operative knee and also helps ward off surgery on the other knee....Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comment....Looking forward to your next post...Merry Christmas to you and yours, my friend!!
    Hug,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. This time has gone by so quickly. Seems like it just all went up. On to another year. Hope your holidays are wonderful, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Your home looks amazing and that candelabra in your header is so beautiful! Everything looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Bernideen. I had two of those beautiful lusters once. A very dear elderly woman gave them to me from her extensive antique collection. When we went through the 1989 earthquake in Santa Cruz, one got broken and this one survived. It is a cherished piece. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Love your cozy Christmas cottage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I wish for you a very wonderful holiday season..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Love the cozy Christmas in your sweet cottage. I use befunky for editing my photos. It is free and I started to use it a few years back. Not sure any of these editing places really do well with our pictures. With my lights an neutrals I feel they look washed out when I edit them on any site. I use my cell phone camera which is good but when you transfer pics from the phone to the computer some how they do not get the nice quality I see others get. I try my best. Have a wonderful Christmas. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kris. I will look at your editing site. I used PicMonkey before I used Picasa and just went back to look at it. Things have changed so much and I can never figure out why they always have to be more complicated. Your pics always look beautiful to me..Happy and Merry..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. You did it again, like so many others, I love your home. Every inch of it! lol. How many square feet do you have there? I'm always impressed you have a dining room area.....it's lovely. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kathie. We have about 1600 square feet in all. Three bedrooms, 2 baths. I think the reason why it seems bigger and more rooms is that there isn't a central hallway, it is just through one room into another almost. Our last home was about the same square footage but it seemed so much smaller and easier to clean! Hope you have a wonderful holiday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. I think it's beautiful, Judy -- and you're right. If it's not broken, don't fix it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy