Tuesday, May 7, 2019

THE JOYS OF MAY...












"Let all thy joys be
as the month of May."
Francis Quarles
17th Century poet






May Day
 has come and gone,
but the circle of
freshly picked Dollar Store blooms
remain as
 a welcome...






...and now
that the joy of May
is upon us,
the door opens and
lets the sun light and
soft breezes
come through.





Lilac Tide
was the name that
 Victorian poets gave
to this season of
beautiful blooms.

"The lilac stood close to Elizabeth's window,/ All purple with bloom../ But a wind is stirring the lilac blossoms,/ And a wonderful sweetness came floating in."

Mary E. Wilkins
"The Message of the Flowers"
1905






An enchanting flower,
 the lilac. 
So pretty
 beside a bed
fluffed and
 awaiting company.





"Sweetest of the flowers a-blooming
In the fragrant vernal days
Is the Lilly of the Valley
With its soft, retiring ways.."

Paul Laurence Dunbar





My folks on their way to a dance in costumes my mom made
Early 1960's






The Captain's Mother, Grace



One of the many joys of May
 is the celebration of
Mother's Day. 
 One deep regret
that I have in life
is that my mom
never got to see our Cottage
or sit beside the lilac bush
 that was grown from a start
of one of hers,
 but she is here
 in spirit
 all the same.



"The shadow of my mother 
danced around the room
 to a tune that
 my shadow sang."
Jamaica Kincaid
"My Mother"







"There are few of us 
who cannot remember 
a front yard garden
 which seemed to us 
a very paradise 
in childhood."

Sarah Orne Jewett
1881








The race
for the best sun spot
is still ongoing and
this one was won
by a nose.







"Some people like
 to make a little garden 
out of life."

Jean Anouilh




...Judy...









Hope you are all
 experiencing
 the joys of May.



Sharing today with:



and





















17 comments:

  1. Judy,
    Your blooms are lovely!! Loved seeing the photos of your parents and MIL!! I am going to have to get out and take some photos of my Lilac tree which is a dark purple...Happy May!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day. Let me know if this comes through as a no reply blogger. I went into my settings and everything is right. No one else says I am coming up as a no reply. So let me know.
    Thanks,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes... May is so wonderful so far! Happy May! It's "summer" here... we bypassed Spring almost totally! Love your gorgeous lilac and lily of the valley. Our one lilac bush that we transplanted 2 years ago is looking much better now. She sure didn't like that! My hubby put her in a "temporary" place, thinking we'd move her again, but we've decided to leave her there where she is. She's a little slanted, but oh well... she's happy. I'm going to make the best of it and we're putting some more fill dirt in around her and going to put a little fountain and some flowers there. I have more motivation and energy now to get outside to work/play in the yard. With our sunshine and the rain from a couple of weeks ago, things are just bursting out everywhere! Love the picture of your parents. He looks so enamored of his wife! So sweet. Have a wonderful week! xoxoxo Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Marilyn. We had always heard that lilacs didn't like to be moved and when we transplanted ours from when we lived in the bay area, it thrived! That is until my husband trimmed it at the wrong time of year and it took a couple of years to get back to its old self. Yours will look so pretty alongside a fountain and other flowers. That was the first thing I noticed when I looked at my dad in that pic, but that was really just how he was..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. What an adorable post!Happy Mother's Day!Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maristella. Happy Mother's Day to you also..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Such a delightful post! I love your lilacs!
    We may get a few lilac blossoms this year...too soon to tell.
    Adorable picture of your parents and MIL :)
    Now we know where you two get your looks from!

    Yes. I did get both of your comments. Thank you so much, you always leave such kind thoughts :)

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lilac, their scent is amazing and always reminds me it is May☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, Judy. Lovely pictures you shared of your flowers and family. I have a white lilac that I transported from my Mom's yard in 1979.......it's a little bit spindly but still has blooms. My lilies of the valley are thickening......would love for them to look like yours. Have a lovely Mother's day. We've been having so much rain thus making the grass grow by leaps and bounds. Guess I'll be cutting it today. Supposed to be cooler, in the low 70s.Your yard is beautiful. Love your garden bench nestled close to your beautiful lilac. Have a happy week.
    Charlotte in Va.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely May so far! I do love that hat -- and seeing photos of your parents and all. And that bench/seat in your garden? To die for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was beautiful! I enjoyed reading your post today. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, your words are greatly appreciated and I hope you will return..Happy Wednesday..Judy

      Delete
  10. What a nice post. it was so fun to see the photos of the Mothers. And, your lilacs are sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all the pretty blooms you are seeing. We hopefully are getting started here in Illinois too. Happy Mother's day sweet friend. Hope you take the day to celebrate the wonderful mom and grandma and wife you are.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy, I love the flowers and the lilacs remind me of my own mother. The lady next door used to wrap up lilacs in tinfoil and give them to me to bring home to my mom. Every time I see or smell them now, they make me think of my mom...and miss her. I hope you enjoy the smell and that pretty view. Thank you for sharing it all with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy,
    Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your well wishes!! I had a bit of a rough day last week but it was my fault because I scheduled my first post op appt. with the ortho surgeon and therapy back to back....I paid for it and had to take extra pain medication...
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mother came to our little cottage several times in the first years we lived here, but I'm so sad that she never got to see the major changes we made. She would have loved what our cottage has become. She would love to sit in my garden with her book reading and drifting off to sleep. Now I'm the one who takes the book outside and drifts off to sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy