Tuesday, March 10, 2020

A SPRINGTIME REMINDER...












Ms. Springtime is a tease. 
 Here she stands 
just across the street from the Cottage.

  She looks so pretty 
in her flowing white dress and 
her bright yellow bloomers and 
when the sun shines on her,
 we have such hope 
that she will take that short walk and
 open our gate.

 But, then 
the gray clouds cover the sun and 
her promise retreats 
back into her
 hiding place.






She has dotted 
the landscape,
 on our side of the fence, 
with a few bits of green 
here and there.  
The daffodils are cropping up...






...the little tender shoots 
are popping on
 the rose bushes...






...along with the
 tightly clenched buds
 of the lilac.






A few pink...






...and white camellias 
are making a showing
 on their pretty green bushes 
but that is the extent 
of her presence 
in our garden.






Some mornings
 as the sun shines through the windows and 
leaves happy reflections in its wake, 
we rush outside 
to see if Ms. Springtime 
has come any closer 
but there she still stands,
 content for now, 
to remind us that
 it is still a little early and 
to not
 give up hope.






In the meantime, 
I am in dire need 
of a little color in my life.

  As I was looking for 
art on Pinterest,
 the beautiful watercolor paintings 
jumped out at me and
 left a lasting impression.
  Of course, 
I have always been aware of watercolors but,
 for some reason, in my mind, 
I have associated them 
with grade school 
when we were given 
a brush, little squares of paint and water 
to make a mess at our desks.
  So, I decided,
 I would try my hand with them 
again as an adult.

  As you are painfully aware, 
I have tried painting with acrylics. 
 To me,
 these two mediums are very different and 
I find that I am 
more comfortable using the acrylics. 
 I am a person 
who has no patience. 
 I don't like to wait
 to do something and 
to me, using watercolors 
is somewhat of a waiting game.
  Possibly, (you think?)
 I could be going 
about it all wrong, 
I am certainly not an expert at either, 
but I can sit down and 
finish an acrylic painting 
all at once. 
 So, I have put the watercolors away and
 am on another tangent 
to bore you to death
 with my meager abilities. 

 This rose 
is a good example. 
 Again, someday, 
maybe I will learn to draw, 
but this was traced and
 then the painting is all me. 
 I will say that 
I couldn't see my tracing lines too well and 
when I painted 
the very center of the rose
 it came out laying on its side,
 so I did repaint it,
 on my own, and 
I don't think it came out too badly. 
 Maybe 
there is hope for me yet.  
I have started another and
 if all goes well, 
I think it will be quite pretty. 
 You 
can be the judge 
next week.






Have a great week and remember:

Stay Safe
Keep Well
Don't Panic
and
Wash Your Hands.


...Judy...






The hydrangea 
waiting to unfurl.



Sharing today with:


and

25 comments:

  1. Judy, Your springtime is so close. Ours too. Sad on our warm days it rains. On the sunny days the winds are high. I think you did a fine job on the rose. I love it. I miss my watercolors. I use to paint and swore I would if I retired...then life got in the way. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susie. Springtime does feel close but then the forecast calls for snow this weekend so who knows? I just could not get comfortable with the watercolors but I do find painting very relaxing. Hopefully practice, practice, practice is what is missing and I really appreciate your encouragement..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Oh, I am so happy to see you painting! And it turned out beautifully. I too was a former watercolorist and changed to acrylics - I like them so much better. If you make mistakes you can go back and correct and when done. and glazed it is hard to tell the difference between an acrylic painting and oil painting - minus the messy clean-up of oils. Super, I look forward to seeing the next painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne, thank you so much for the kind words. I have seen what you have painted and there is no comparison, but I am having fun and will continue. I have done a couple more so far that I will show in my next post..Hope you are staying well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Good job at the rose painting. Only sign of Spring here are the birds chirping now. Enjoyed looking at your flowers. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice. We were supposed to have some snow, but only rain and, now, very windy. All the fruit trees that were so pretty are looking the worse for wear..Hope you are staying well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Ah.... the rose by any other name would not smell so sweet---very pretty, love the colors you chose and the touches of 'light' in the petals. You are fortunate that Spring has started by you---we have to wait quite awhile in Chicagoland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. I'm glad you like the rose and I appreciate your kind words. I am having fun trying them and one day I hope to be able to draw myself!..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy Hope you are staying well.

      Delete
  5. Judy,
    It has been unseasonably warm here in NEPA...Trees are budding and popping up from the ground but that is not good as we can still get frost until May and snow in April....It is way too early here....Look your pretty painting!! I admire your talents as I can only draw stick figures!! LOL! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. We were supposed to get some snow, but now only rain and wind. All the pretty fruit trees are damaged now and most of the blossoms are faded and gone. Stick figures are good! I can even draw one of those..Hope you are staying well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Hello Judy, such a lovely post with spring awakening around us.
    your painting is so pretty. We always tend to be more critical on ourselves. As always thank you for sharing at Love Your Creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. We probably all need to ease up on ourselves and pull together. The times, right now, call for it. I hope you and your family are staying well and joining your party is always a pleasure..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Your painting is lovely, Judy. I recognize that self-criticism! I do it too -- but in this case, I think, unfounded! And oh, those blossoms take my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. I am having fun with them, but they are what they are, and I am just happy that I have a hobby that I enjoy doing, as I know you do. I hope you are staying well and taking care..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Oh yes.. Spring is such a tease! We've had wonderful warm weather and things are budding out... but alas! It's supposed to get down to 8 degrees this Sat. nite! So we are going to go outside on Thursday or Friday and cover several things with tarps in the hopes that the poor little buds don't get frozen off! Our lilac looks green already.. and roses are leafing out.. and I cleaned out my Iris bed and now the poor things have bare bulbs! So will go cover those all up again.. we are expecting to have at least five nights of down in the teens or maybe even single digits! In March? weird.. never saw it this cold in March in the 5 years we've been here! And it was 74 degrees one day last week! For now.. I'll have to put all the blooming things to bed again and wrap them in their warm winter blankets! Have a good week! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn. Boy, things can sure turn around in the blink of an eye. We have our first confirmed case of the virus in town, it has poured rain and a beautiful night of snow. Other than that we are having a good week and hope you are also and staying well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Wonderful pics and paintings!Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maristella. I hope you are staying well and happy..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. Hi Judy,
    Wonderful painting of the rose. Looks beautiful. We get a little bit of spring for a few days and then back to winter. It has been like this most of the winter. I think we will not see real Spring here for another month or two. Love the days the sunshine comes out.
    Have a good weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris. I am having fun keeping busy. We had a taste of winter this past week and there is still snow on the ground, so trying to get the dogs to go outside is keeping us busy also..Hope you are staying well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. Hey, that's a great painting you did! I like playing around with painting and can't really get into anything for long because now the schools are closed and I baby sit. One day I guess I will. Things look mighty pretty in your area of the country. not as pretty here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy. I really like doing the paintings, all the time hoping I will get better at it. I'm sure the girls love that there is no school and that you are babysitting! At least you won't get bored while having to be house bound..We have snow on the ground now so don't know how the tender spring flowers will fare..Stay well and happy, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. I love your painting. Spring will come! i cant wait.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much. Hope you are staying well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Katie. We finally had a bit of winter with some rain and snow, so that is good..Hope you are staying well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy