Tuesday, March 17, 2020

FOR ALL THE SPRING CHICKENS...












We were told 
to expect snow, 
but we had rain...
lots of rain...





...and then
 the snow came.






A full day and night of snow. 
 It was beautiful and welcome. 
 We need it all
 very badly.






As the world is
 working so hard
 to get all their little chicks ducks
 in a row,
 we here in the United States, 
are trying to play catch-up. 
 What a shame 
that it is playing out this way
 in our country.
  We, the people, 
will have paid 
a great price before it is all over.

  I feel so badly 
for those who have lost loved ones and 
for the businesses and schools 
that are forced to close. 
 No one is at fault 
for any of this virus, and 
we are all in it together.
  What would help 
any fears and panic
 would be if we could count
 on the information we are receiving. 
 I think, 
if we listen to 
the medical and scientific community,
 we will get the best advice,
 all else is just
 dumb noise.

 The Captain just came back 
from the drive-up at Starbuck's and 
said it was almost totally empty.
  During this time of the day 
it is always packed. 
 A bit of good and bad. 
 Bad, 
that they don't have the business
 but good 
in that it seems people
 are staying home
 so that the virus doesn't get passed on. 
 I cancelled 
my monthly lunch outing
with my girlfriends today. 
 So far
 there hasn't been any news 
of problems (as per the newspaper
 this morning, Monday)
 has been one confirmed case
(as per the newspaper 
this morning, Tuesday,
 in our community but,
 until we know for sure, 
I'm not taking 
any chances.






About thirty years ago,
 when we first took up residence 
in the Cottage, 
coming home from work,
 I would unwind by watching 
The Food Network and The Cooking Channel. 
 It wasn't 
that I was interested in cooking, 
it was because the voices
 of Martha Stewart and The Barefoot Contessa,
 were relaxing to me.  
I was more interested 
in seeing their homes and gardens 
than in their cooking skills. 
 On The Cooking Channel 
there was a young french woman,
 who lived in the 
quaintest, cutest cottage and 
she entertained friends
 on her charming back deck. 
 She would ride her bicycle 
to the bakery and 
come home with the basket filled 
with bread and fresh flowers,
 even her theme music 
was conducive to romance and relaxation. 
 I was obsessed with her 
and, now, 
I can't remember her name 
or the name of her show. 
Does anyone remember her?







Over the years, 
I have surprised myself, 
and all who know me, 
that I have learned to love to cook. 
 Another show 
that was on The Food Network,
 that I enjoyed watching, 
was Robin To The Rescue. 
 Robin, in her kitchen filled 
with colorful Fiesta Ware,
 would fix a delicious meal 
that could be morphed into 
enough food to extend that dinner
 for two or three nights.  
I have her cookbook and
 have used it many times 
over the years...





...and tonight 
I am fixing
 Roasted Chicken Breasts
 with garlic, rosemary and lemon. 
It will morph into 
Warm Chicken-Cherry Waldorf Salad
 for tomorrow. 
 I think it only fitting 
to serve these dinners 
in a setting that honors 
the age old notion 
that we celebrate the 
the brave animal 
that gave their lives
 so that we could 
fill our bellies!










I still can't take a decent photo of food


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




First we had 
the Santa Claus Specials, 
now we have the 
Flower Frenzies...

There are so many options out there,
 who knows 
where it will stop? 










 The camellia and the sunflower
 are both painted 
using real flowers as subjects. 
 The originals
 were on my computer and 
I just enlarged them and 
traced the outlines from the computer. 
 I did all the filling in on my own. 
 Someday, maybe,
I will be able to paint
 all from scratch, 
but since I am no Spring Chicken, 
I better get going.






Tami just called 
saying she and Tim 
are coming up here on Saturday 
to go grocery shopping for us 
so that we don't have to go out. 
 Since the Captain and I,
 both,
 are in the high risk category
(age wise) 
they are concerned 
for our well being. 
 I hate 
that they have to make 
such a long trip, 
but we certainly appreciate
 that they want to do it and 
love them for it. 


 Hope you are all staying well.



...Judy...






Sharing today with:


and

28 comments:

  1. Hi Judy. Your flowers are beautiful. I like how you do them.
    The lady chef that you were referring to is Laura Calder. She was on Saturday mornings on the Cooking Channel last year. I don't see her anymore. I enjoyed watching her and like you, I loved the romantic music and her beautiful cottage with all the windows in the background. She is Canadian and I think her show came from Nova Scotia, Canada. It was so relaxing to watch her cook and ride her bike.
    Lets hope this virus is cured soon and we can get on with our lives.
    Take care and protect yourself.
    Thelma xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Thelma. Now I remember. I just loved her and I think out of them all, she was the one responsible for getting me to like cooking. Those kinds of shows meant relaxation to me and I haven't seen any since that I like as well. Hope you are staying well. We are doing fine but it is nerve racking..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. Hi Judy, wow, that's a lot of snow. The flowers are lovely. I also enjoy the cooking and HGTV channels.
    Your table with the chicks plates is darling. Take care of yourselves and be safe. This is a crazy world right now. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I made soup yesterday that will morph into more soup today and tomorrow! That's the kind of cooking I like. We had more snow last night so we are OK..Hope you stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Hi Judy, such a sweet post, I love the snow and all the darling chicks and chickens! I especially love your paintings, too. I am intrigued by the description of the cooking show you couldn't name and I see that Thelma has let us in on that. I am going to write it down so I can remember and search for it if it ever gets aired again. Oh, I just loved the Martha Stewart show and the Barefoot Contessa. I filled up so many recipe boxes from their shows and have most of their cookbooks. I still get Martha's magazine. Love your dear place settings and your leftover chicken-cherry salad sounds wonderful. How sweet of the kids to come and go shopping for you. This whole situation is so scary, but you are right, if we all pull together we can overcome this. I have a feeling it's going to be a long recovery in so many ways. Glad you are staying safe at home and pray you and the Mr. continue to enjoy good health, my dear. Sending hugs and blessings xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen and I send all the same wishes to you and your family. I'm so glad that Thelma was in the know, I remembered her name as soon as I read Thelma's comment. That chicken-cherry salad was absolutely delicious. Maybe I'll put the recipe on the blog next week. I am going to try to talk my kids out of coming up which I knew exactly that my daughter would suggest that but after hearing that the youngsters (in their late 50's) are being hit hard by this too so I really don't want them to take those chances besides the weather is not very nice for traveling now. We had a pretty heavy snowfall last night also. Please stay well, my friend. We try not to go out anymore than is really needed..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Beautiful paintings and gorgeous vignettes.Your food looks delicious!Sending hugs...Things are crazy here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Maristella. I hope you are staying well and not going stir crazy..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Your chicks are cute! We had salmon salad with homemade blueberry vinaigrette dressing for dinner tonight. Stay safe and keep watching tv. I am working from home now until further notice from my employer. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. I love salads like that, they are always so tasty and you get all you need from one place. I'm glad you are able to work from home. Every little bit helps..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Hi,

    I enjoyed watching her too and until you mentioned it forgotten all about her. If I remember rightly she not only made good looking food but was very elegant and well dressed. Maybe she is on Utube?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne, If you look up to my first comment, Thelma said who she was. Laura Caulder, and I don't remember her wearing anything but dresses but they weren't fancy, just like a sun dress that she could wear while cooking and riding her bike. She might be on YouTube. I only look at painting things on YouTube. Maybe I will google her and see if anything comes up. I will let you know if I find something..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. ...she is, all episodes! I am going to start watching them tonight. Thank you! And, I forgot to say how much I like your painting, you are really doing wonderfully. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, goodness, I didn't read this until after I had typed your other message. I will look her up. Is her name Laura Caulder?. I'm so happy to hear this and if it isn't her, then I will have found another one to follow..Thanks, Adrienne..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. I was thinking Rachel Koo, but she lived in Paris in a wee apartment, went to the market, painted little watercolors, visited shops and restaurants and made dinner for others in her home. No little cottage. Oh, if you think of it, let me know because I'd love to look those up. And the Robin woman too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie: It wasn't Rachel Koo who I'm talking about but if you come back and read this, look at Adrienne's comment and check out YouTube and see if that is Laura Calder or Rachel Koo, maybe. I hadn't heard of Rachel so I am going to check out YouTube also. I will address info about this and Robin next week because there is some interest, including from me!..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Judy,
    I love the flowers, the snow and the pretty table setting!!
    As of today there are only 96 known cases in Pa, with 1 in our County and all have come from travel related exposure, not community induced.
    The restaurants were just ordered closed EXCEPT for take out and deliveries...Thank God!! Non essential stores were suggested to be closed but many stores even if they have a small amount of groceries, cleaning supplies, etc. are still open. I "social distance" normally as I do not like crowds and do not go out to eat or anything like that. Joe is working at Wegman's, waiting on thousands of customers over the last few days... He feels that all this is grossly overblown as do a lot of medical professionals including Doctors that I know. I only watch our local news as the national news is too sensational for me. Having worked in health care for 42 years, I am not worried about myself and we are seeing our kids and not distancing ourselves from them because we feel we need to be there for each other...God knows what will happen in the future but I feel What will be, will be...
    Thanks so much for stopping by and for taking the time to comment!!
    Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie. So far we have heard of only one case in our county. Evidently it is a man who had traveled to one of the hot spots and felt ill when we reached back home so stayed in his house for the duration so guess he is OK now. I'm sure there will be others before it is over. We have heard so many lies that I really find it hard to believe anything. I'm just trying to use common sense and do what I think is right. I am going to try to talk the kids out of coming up as I have been hearing that their age group is becoming more at risk than thought and anyway they are supposed to be sheltering in place in Santa Cruz. This is serious and we will have to give up some of what we are used to doing before it is all over, I think..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi judy, I deleted the comment and now going to leave another hopefully with correct spelling etc...
    How I love your chicken in last picture! Your food picture looks delicious! Looks healthy too.
    Your tribute to the chicken, I must remember that. Gave me a chuckle.
    Love your flower paintings. Good to sit down and create beauty like this. I was thinking I was doing something of good around here with cleaning and re arranging but instead it looks like a bomb went off. I need to stay in one room and finish it, but I get bored.
    My husband has a haircut appt. today and trust the one who does it as the area is clean and I just think some of this is overblown. We are being cautious as always but I can't live in fear. I just live and be careful and clean.
    I may get out my paint by number again tonight. You've inspired me to do something artsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much, Betsy. That sounds like me when I start cleaning or doing any project. I always say I am going to do one thing at a time, walk out and shut the door, but before I know it the whole house is a hot mess. We watch Life Below Zero. If you haven't seen it it is well worth watching. It is set in the far reaches of Alaska and everyone is off the grid. They hunt and trap for their food and they always pet the poor little deer or bird or whatever after they kill it because they are thanking it for the food it gives them, so I thought I would take up that mantra! We have to take the dogs for shots, etc. tomorrow and truthfully, that makes me a little nervous. I am not in a panic mode but just don't want to get sick so will try to do all the common sense things to avoid it. Truthfully, I don't think this is overblown but I do think that we have heard some lies and now I find it hard to believe almost anything I hear, so common sense seems to be the best way to go for me..Stay well my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Hi Judy,
    Your table looks so cute. Love those chick plates. You can keep that snow thank you. We here in Illinois do not want to see anymore snow. We are getting rain today and really hard rain tomorrow. Glad it is not snow but is will give little Buddy muddy paws! I went to Home Goods this morning to pick up a throw I saw there a few weeks ago and I was the only one in the store! Two employees and me. I have been so good about staying home but just wanted to run in and get that throw if they still had it. I washed down the cart with sanitizer and then used my hand sanitizer when I got back into the car. Then washed my hands when I got home. So I hope my little trip to Home Goods was not harmful. I literally was the only one in the place. It is like a ghost town. I guess like you said that is good that people are staying home. Stay safe sweet friend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Kris. We had snow again last night but so far, I don't mind it too much. Our little four leggers are not enjoying it though!. They have to go to the vets tomorrow for shots and it will be the first time I have gone anyplace. Like you did, you just have to keep conscious about the safety aspects and use common sense. I am going to try to talk the kids out of coming up here as now it is being found out that people their age are becoming at risk also so better safe than sorry, but my daughter is so wanting to help us that she can be pretty stubborn. Probably can't find many groceries on the shelves anyway. After all your trouble to get the throw, we better get to see it in your next post!! Stay wellxxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judy, I love your little ducks and chicks...I really do hope we get them all in a row soon. I'm concerned about the people that aren't taking this seriously. I see them all over social media in my area. Scary. That's lovely that your daughter is coming to help you. Our grocery stores have opened hours just for seniors and people who are at risk. Please stay safe and keep sharing your sweet flowers. I love them!! Hugs to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. This is really serious and I have heard comments to the contrary too. Those who believe that are in for a rude awakening, I'm afraid. Yes, it will end, but until then there will be much loss and heartbreak. Our daughter and SIL did come but that is another story to be told in my next post. Our stores are open on Tuesdays and Thurdays, 7 to 9 AM, for seniors. I will go next week, but that is really scary to me since I haven't been out yet. I am working on my flowers and it is a thankful pastime, but probably won't help to make me any better..Take care and stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  15. Thank you. Aren't those cute little duckies?..Hope you are well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy