Tuesday, March 31, 2020

GOOD MEMORIES, BAD REALITY...










Us, you ask? Ha, we wish!


The year was 2009. 
 It was a beautiful 
sun filled, San Diego, California,
 day in January.
  We were there on vacation
 without a care in the world. 
 We had just finished
 a delicious bowl of fresh clam chowder and 
was then scheduled 
to take a short boat ride 
around San Diego harbor.





I grew up in Santa Cruz,
 around the ocean and beaches. 
 It is a beautiful place 
with a lot of wonderful sights 
but San Diego 
gives it a run for its money. 
 The waters of the harbor 
are filled with
 everything imaginable...






...sail boats
 with colorful sails,
 tour boats
 loaded with sightseers...





...security boats
 piloted by naval personnel
 along side 
recreational activities... 







...restaurants 
lining the shores and
 sun bathers 
in all shapes and sizes..







...and territory occupied 
by the U.S. Navy. 
 There are pads 
along the water 
for helicopters, and 
ships in dry dock 
that are being
 rebuilt and refurbished.








The USS Midway, 
now a naval museum, 
is a popular attraction...





...and you can see 
the famous sculpture of 
the nurse and the midshipman, 
kissing in the street, 
celebrating the end of World War 11.

 The Captain says
 he is just standing there 
to show the size 
of the sculpture!

There are so many wonderful things
 to see in San Diego
 but there was one sight
 that I never dreamed
 we would see again.





The USSN Mercy,
 was in dry dock at that time,
 but is now anchored 
in the Los Angeles harbor 
awaiting to be filled 
with patients from local hospitals
 so that their beds
 can be freed up
 for the COVID-19 pandemic patients. 

 (I remembered 
taking a photo of a hospital ship 
while there and 
when I looked back 
through my pictures - 
sure enough there it was. 
 I hadn't paid any attention, 
at the time, 
to the name of the vessel - 
I was intrigued by 
the large red cross.)

This is such a sad time. 
 I pray that all the medical heroes 
on the front lines 
can get what they need 
to keep them, and their patients,
 safe. 

 In my lifetime,
 I have never seen 
a situation such as this. 
 We all thought 
that there could never be 
any time worse 
then what happened on 9-11 
but we are being put 
to a hard test again and 
today I heard 
that the death toll 
has exceeded that 
of 9-11.




"We are all in this together and
 he says
 he is practicing social distance
 but I know he just wants to steal 
my breakfast"


We all need 
to find something 
to occupy our time and our thoughts. 
 We need to watch the news,
 sometime like looking at a train wreck, 
but it is important to know
 what is happening 
even though we can only watch so much. 

 As you have undoubtedly heard by now,
 The Tiger King, streaming on Netflix,
 is a really good show 
to take our minds to
 a different place for a short while. 
 It is about 
big cats, murder and mayhem. 
 Another entertaining series
 is Good Girls,
 about three moms 
trying to better their soccer mom lives and
 we have just finished watching 
Unorthodox,
 about a young Jewish girl 
out in the world 
after her faith is being tested.
 We enjoyed it and 
thought it was well worth our time. 
 The Hallmark Channel
 has started airing 
Christmas movies also,
 another form of escape.








I am enjoying
 watercolor painting now, 
so am practicing as I go.  
I think I am getting a better handle
 on painting leaves and 
am trying to perfect the technique
 of using less paint and 
building on that.
 Some things
 end up better than others, 
but it is something to keep me busy and 
after we are back to normal,
 I'm hoping I can justify 
buying better
 paints and brushes.






Practice, practice, practice...
Makes perfect??





All my daffodils 
have bloomed now and 
I picked them 
so the rain and snow 
wouldn't bend them over. 
 We have had 
a little more
 of both.





The kids 
came up to shop for us again 
in their pretty new car. 
 I am so grateful to them
 for doing this. 
 I had to go 
to CVS to pick up meds the other day and,
 I don't mind saying, 
I was freaked out
 to leave the house and 
of being in the store.

 I will leave you with
 some much needed beauty 
of a San Diego sunset,
 a memory from
 better days...






Stay home and stay well.



...Judy...


P.S.
 Have you noticed 
that my photos are larger than usual? 
I don't know what happened. 
I didn't do anything different
 than I normally do 
but I had to move 
the right column over 
to fit everything in.
 I, personally, 
don't mind it, 
as old eyes kind of enjoy bigger things,
 but if they annoy you
 let me know.
 Everything 
seems to be out of our control
 these days!



Sharing today at:


and

31 comments:

  1. I loved your larger photos. Really nice. San Diego is a nice place. I'd love to go back there soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debby. I just love San Diego. We used to go there every year in January but haven't been back for awhile. I would love to go back there soon also. I'm glad you liked the larger photos. I, actually, like them better too. I don't know what happened. I tried to go back to last week's post and see if those would enlarge, but they wouldn't. We shall see how it goes next time. Stay safe and well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post! Hopefully we can go back to normality soon. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janice. I hope so too but it just seems so scary that we might jump the gun and start it all over again..Keep well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy your posts. I think your paintings are really good.
    Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Renate. That is so sweet of you and thank you very much. I am trying to paint but I have a long way to go yet..Hope you stay safe also..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kinga. I hope you are staying well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. I love this post, Judy. I love seeing what you are doing (you're getting that watercolor thing down, aren't you! Well done!) And the photo of the Mercy ship -- how serendipitous you found it at this time. The memories you share of lovely times are beautiful. (Loved the statue -- that's mighty tall!) We all hope to get to whatever our new normal will be soon. Remembering the good times will help us till we're there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Jeanie, and thanks so much. Jeanie, my paper is pilling when I put on the paint. Am I using too much water or is it just cheap paper (which it is)?.Hope you are doing well and stay healthy..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Such wonderful memories. I am just trying to take it one day at a time and hopefully by the end of April first of May we will be able to start to see things can start to go back to some kind of normal for all of us. Just have to stay the course and stay hopeful. Loved all the photos.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. I am hopeful that you are right. We are hearing a lot of dates and time, so I'm not too sure yet..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Judy, thank you for that wonderful trip down memory lane. Crazy how just walking on the pier or the beach is now something we are unable to do - safely and perhaps even legally! That is not something I ever thought I'd see. I know we're all longing to get back to those days and hopefully they will come sooner than later. Sending big hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. Those days will return some day. Seems like a long way off right now when we hear all the totals..Stay well, my friend. After rereading this, it sounds like I am depressed, but I'm really not. It is just so hard to hear..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. I appreciate something other than bunnies and table settings. Even in my doll stories deal with reality and the effect LIFE has on them. Thanks for the beautiful pictorial and thoughtful words. Dealing with what is happening---is the only way to go. Head in the sand, denial, and ignoring it, will only endanger everyone else. Anxiety is the result of not dealing with fear. Facing your fears helps to diminish anxiety. Thanks, again for a reality check! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandi. I know we are all so eager for this to be over. I only hope that the economy factor doesn't come into play too soon, and we go back out, to start things all over again. When they talk about lives lost, now with so many young being affected, I have cried a few tears. I know, for awhile, there will be more shed..Stay well good friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Oh I love your memory photos! We should all, as bloggers, maybe post some "memory photos" of good times.. that we hope to go back to soon! I didn't know that ship was docked now, but makes sense. And your paintings are looking wonderful! Love them so much! I'm sewing and making some masks for our local hospitals, who have put out a request for them. I have lots of fabric and can sew, so decided to contribute a little bit. Making them kind of stresses me out a little bit, as I know what they're for and it makes me anxious. I too had to go to the store and it now freaks me out to even go to the grocery store... I call it the "germ pit" and hubby agrees. Alot of people are wearing masks and gloves to the stores now. I just want to stay home or go for a short drive in my car.. that makes me a little happy to just get outside and a little fresh air. So nice for your kids to come and get food for you. I pray the numbers of people getting this virus lessen each day and that gradually they find that the drugs they are testing will help. I've heard that a person SHOULD NOT take any ibuprofen if they have symptoms of the illness, as it can increase the virus cells tenfold! So only take Tylenol.. so of course now I suppose there will be a run on the stores of Tylenol and it'll get sold out too. Just can't win. Take care of yourselves...Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much, Marilyn. Well, you got that right about the ibuprofen. Someone was telling me that is exactly what is happening. I can't take any kind of meds like that because it sets my coumadin in a tailspin, and I don't want to do that because I dread having to go to the labs to get my counts checked anymore than I have to. Hoarding is going on all over the place and it takes times like these to show just how selfish some people can be. We are all in this together, so they say..Stay well, my friend. That is so nice of you to help the hospitals out. If everyone would just stay home would be a big help too. Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your bigger pictures!! amazing that you had a picture of the ship!! Joe is still continuing to work part time at Wegman's. He would go crazy if he had to stay home. Our oldest son has moved in with us for the duration of this but he goes to his apartment , right up the road. to work. No one should be alone 24/7 during this time... I have no problem keeping busy ad I have stopped watching any national news. I just watch local news...
    Stay safe, health and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. I like the bigger pics too, but don't know why I have them! Glad you are keeping your spirits up and I still do watch the national news but the only thing I get from it is how much we, as a country, deserve something better..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Boy, oh boy... look at all that sunshine and blue ocean! Thanks!
    I loved seeing all of your fun photos and I loved the sizes of the photos.

    Your water colors are so pretty, and I think that you're doing a great job of getting the leaves down.

    How sweet of your kids to run errands for you, and check in with you both to make sure that your doing well.

    Have a sweet rest of your week, my friend.
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kerin. It was a great vacation and I enjoyed looking back at some of the things we did. It is hard to equate it with what is going on now in the world. Hoping for better days..Take care and stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  13. I must say that was funny about the captain standing there just to show the size of the statue..
    Your artwork is great! I have been doing the paint by number and some dabbling in painting. Have to do something. I have so much paint left over from the paint by numbers so I will use them up. Not a thing wrong with your photos and that last one is just Beautiful! Suitable for framing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy. Boy, that Captain sure has a sense of humor! I'm glad you like my artwork, even though it has a long way to go. It's fun, though, having something to take us away for a little while. I am liking my photos too. The first time I ever did something that turned out right?? by accident..Take care and stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  14. Hello Judy, your San Diego trip looks wonderful.how ironic the ship Mercy was there and now it is anchored in LA. Times are trying right now. I have never seen the world like it is now. I hope wthey can find a cure and put this to rest. We have lost so many lives. Stay(no home is the safest place to be. Glad your are finding comfort in painting and watching some shows. The news can be depressing. Take care. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. It was good remembering good times and we will have them again. If we all stay in our homes then we might get rid of this virus. It won't be tomorrow but, hopefull, some time soon..Stay well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  15. I enjoyed so much this gorgeous virtual tour to San Diego.Your paintings are beautiful too.Sending prayers and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S.-Your milk glass collection is stunning!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Maristella. Hope you are staying well..xxoJudy

      Delete
  16. I enjoyed seeing your 2009 pictures, and those seals bathing in the sun! It is strange times we are living in, for sure. I'm glad your kids are there to run errands for you both. It is amazing how life has changed for all of us so very quickly. I love your paintings! You are very talented Judy! Keep painting :) Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. It sounds like things are slowing down a bit in your state. I hope so. I am enjoying the painting but hope to improve a little bit soon..Stay well and stay safe my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy