Tuesday, March 3, 2020

SPRING IS IN THE AIR...













Since I finally got 
the last of Christmas and the snowmen 
put away,
 and since it feels like
 spring is in the air, 
we might as well
 open the door and
 let her in.






She might only get in
 up to her knees
 as we probably can still hope
 for some normal winter weather 
to creep in now and then 
before we are through...





...but as long as
 the sun keeps reflecting 
through the lace curtains and 
the fairies can still dance,
 we will enjoy the time 
we spend with her.





I've heard tell 
that I have been spelling
 the word for the 
wood shelf over the fireplace 
incorrectly. 
 I have always spelled it "mantle", 
which seems right to me for some reason.
  I looked it up and
 it is indeed spelled, "mantel". 
 I stand corrected, 
but don't always assume 
that I will get it right from here on in. 
 I participated, and won,
 many a spelling bee 
when I was in grade school 
but the one word that tripped me up 
was "guard". 
 I spelled it "gaurd" and 
after all these years,
I still have to think 
hard about it.





Now that I have
unwrapped it from its cloak,
 here is the parlor's spring mantel. 
 Not too different from 
the winter one 
as I am so happy with the rug in here,
 I haven't wanted 
to change it too much.





I have been wanting 
a nice size wreath
 that was greens only 
so I could add colorful flowers to it
 for each season. 
 I found this one on sale, 
so it will become 
a traveling wreath. 
 Traveling between rooms,
 as well as seasons, and 
it will be starting its journey 
from the dining room
 in springtime...






... and here it is,
 without too much thought and
using what was on hand, 
making its debut.




Spring's first camellia


Well, spring did come in 
but, as predicted, 
just up to her knees and 
don't kid yourself, 
she will be at least up to her waist
 around here at the Cottage 
before we know it, 
whether she is 
ready or not.





Hope everyone is staying well..
Please pay attention to 
what the scientific community is saying..
it looks like
 some pretty hard core stuff 
out there.

And one more thing...





Happy Birthday 
to my sweet Captain. 
 Forever young, 
no matter what
 your shirt says.




...Judy...







Sharing today with:


and

30 comments:

  1. Hi Judy those little chicks are soooooo adorable. Hmmm I have always spelled mantle like you do. I stand corrected too! Love all your spring things coming out. The wreath on your door is so pretty. Happy New Week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. I love those little chicks too. I used to be such a good speller, but since blogging, for some reason, I question myself a lot..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! And I think you have motivated me to get my spring wreaths out and take down the last of the red. (I spelled mantel wrong for ages and didn't realize it till blog reading one day!) Take care, my friend. Stay safe and healthy in your lovely home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanie. You must have read the same blog post that I did. We all have each other's backs!..Happy spring decorating..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to your Captain! And those chicks...so sweet!! I am craving spring. It was warm here today, but they are predicting snow for the weekend. I'm done with winter. And I've always been the worst speller, but words like mantle and mantel are the worst. I always have to Google which one to use...xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. I never googled the word but I should have. We are having such beautiful weather here. It's got to change soon..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Judy, It's always pretty around your house, no matter the season. I like the new wreath. The yellow tulips and chicks really look like spring to me. Happy birthday to your Captain....he has it right, old guys do rule. LOL Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susie. He had a very nice birthday. The kids came up and surprised him. Our weather is beautiful and very spring like..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. I like your travelling wreath. I may get one. It is so pretty decorated for Spring.
    It's great to see the snow melting here and the temperature is warming up.
    Thelma xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Thelma. I like the idea of the wreath. I just put some of what I had on it for now. Didn't look to springy to me when done. Maybe I'll do better. Our weather is gorgeous here with all the pretty fruit trees blooming..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. Judy,
    I have a wreath that I made a few years back that is very similar to the one on your door! I love the idea of your traveling wreath!! So many pretty vignettes!! Happy Birthday to your dear hubby!! I too have spelling Mantel wrong, apparently....I looked up "mantle" and it says it is a sleeveless cloak!! LOL!! Too funny!!
    Today, I will be packing away the Valentine's decor in the LR and that finishes everything Winter and Valentine's related except for the outside of the house...It has been warm, in the 50;s here, but it has been raining so I have to let everything dry out before it can be packed away and hauled down to our storage shed. I will start decorating for Easter at the end of this week....I am looking forward to it!! I hope you are having a good week!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie. That wreath on the door is at least 3 seasons old and all from the $ Store. I don't think the traveling wreath looks too spring like so may change it up. I will do a little for Easter but I seem to be so far behind in all my projects. I think it might be due to Spring Fever..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. It all looks so pretty! And you have encouraged me to get out some of my Easter decorations. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adrienne. I don't know if I will put anything else out or not, but maybe I will. That is what my life is about now. Spring fever is making me lazy, but I know I look forward to seeing what you do..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much. Spring is in the air..Happy Thursday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday to your husband. Forever young indeed!
    I love your wreath. Airy and pretty just the way it is.
    I will put out a few spring things. For Easter it's just a wreath and some table rabbits that the children like seeing. I don't over do the Easter as far as decorating.
    It's chilly today and a little rainy. Still could be a freeze unexpected this month still.
    Happy Week end
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy. I don't do too much for Easter either. I have a few little antique rabbit items that I like to spot here and there but mostly I am craving some bright colors in general. When you have the littles around that is when it is fun..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. I love the pops of Spring in your cottage Judy! Flowers always make me happy! Yellow ones this time of year are just perfect. Love the idea of the wreath that you can decorate for the different holidays. I should do that outside my front door.. I have a hook there, but usually only hang things over Thanksgiving and Christmas.. but a summer wreath would be nice too. Love your mantel! Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn. I like wreaths too although I think I will brighten mine up a bit more. I am craving some bright colors as it is pretty dreary out today..Happy Springtime, I think, is on the way..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. https://idealspy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It all lives in my head..Happy Weekend.

      Delete
  13. I am an excellent speller - it's all the crosswords I do. When I started blogging I noticed that I was the only one spelling it mantle. I checked and saw that I was was wrong. A mantle is a cloak. I had to go back and edit several blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Carol. No, you weren't alone. It just looked right to me and still does, even though I know it isn't. Did you notice that I could show the parlor mantel now, after I took the mantle off?..Live and learn..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool flowers, nice interior ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Maristell. Hugs and hope you are staying well..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy