Tuesday, August 17, 2021

SLOWLY BUT SURELY...

 




This has been a slowly moving summer 

at the Cottage.

  It has been so hot

 that at more times than not,

 the order of the day is 

to just sit still and don't move

 any more than can be helped. 

 It has come to the point that 

I, myself, have wondered

 if it all is just an excuse 

for laziness or a mode of survival. 

 Nevertheless, whatever the reason, 

it is what it is

 and nothing much is getting done.

  Back in the wintertime,

 which seems so long ago,

 we could hardly wait until 

the "weather improved" 

so we could get started on 

so many projects that needed doing

 but, here we sit, 

with nothing much to show for the time,

 and the clock is ticking.




The last few days 

when we look out the window, 

the skies have been clear

 and we can open the doors

 when evening comes

 to let some of the hotter air out, 

but this morning the smoke is back

 and the skies are gray again.  

The River fire closest to us is gone, 

but the Dixie fire in Plumas County

 is still burning and turning into 

the largest and longest fire

 in the state's history.

Wherever there is a fire,

 the smoke seems to travel 

all across the US,

so I guess it is not surprising

 that we are still having it here.


 I really want to thank you all for your support and concerns.





I, like most others,

 tend to divide up the months and designate different forms of decorations

 for different times. 

We are now in the middle of August

 and, by my calendar,

 the time between now 

and the end of September or there about

 is for a Shining of Sunflowers.  

Throughout this post,

 I will show you how my first attempt

 of taking the plunge is going. 

 I suppose it is fitting 

that I start with the entry. 

 It not only is the first room that is seen upon coming into the Cottage but,

 I have a sneaking suspicion, 

that because it is the smallest space

 it takes less energy to accomplish.





I showed you a few weeks ago 

that I had ordered this bright wreath but just couldn't use it until 

the weather cooled down. 

 But, as I said, the clock is ticking,

 and if I waited to use it before

 we had some cooler weather, 

we might likely be into next spring...




...so here it is with the addition of a few sunflowers.





Whew, that was a big effort!!

 so I didn't add much else to accompany it.

  A beautiful little lantern that I picked up at Hobby Lobby 

during the days when I could go to Hobby Lobby (or anyplace else) 

along with a little dish

 painted with autumn fruit.  

When autumn actually does arrive 

just a few sprinklings of 

pumpkins and leaves 

will make the scene complete




.

And, just because, there aren't enough projects that need to be started, 

we now have another one

 raise its ugly head.  

We saw this sight the first time a couple of years ago.  

While we were down visiting the kids, something messed with

 the front garden fountain 

and tipped it over. 

 We could not figure out how it had happened for the life of us,

 but the Captain put it back together.  

A while later we spotted a huge raccoon sitting in the fountain one night 

and knew that was 

the answer to our mystery.  

Now, two nights ago, we found it again

 in the prone position,

 so we are assuming that

 the same thing happened. 

 Here we go again.





Our Covid cases, and deaths, 

are adding up here

 by leaps and bounds.

  On our NextDoor website

 one person posted, asking if anyone knew of someplace he could go

 to get a rapid Covid test

 that didn't cost too much? 

 He was planning to 

fly to Hawaii in a few days

 and needed proof 

that he didn't have Covid. 

 You Stupid Idiot! 

 Just get vaccinated and it wouldn't be a problem just to show 

your proof of vaccination.  

By the looks of things

 you all have more than a few stupid idiots in your part of the world too. 

 I am over it all.




  As the days go by,

 I am becoming more disgusted 

by the way this public health hazard

 is being turned into a sort of game,

 and I am losing faith 

in some of my fellow human beings.

 It seems very similar

 to a game of Russian Roulette 

and no one knows who is holding the gun. 

 In some circles that is called murder. 

This whole situation is turning me into

 someone I don't want to be

 and I will not let that happen. 

I will continue on to live my best life

 and hope that you all can do the same.    

  



Happy Shining Sunflower Days to all.



...Judy...





Sharing today with:

Love Your Creativity at Life and Linda

24 comments:

  1. I guess you don't have AC in your beautiful home? I couldn't live without mine. I so love your beautiful emails. Which town do you live in? I can't remember, but have been up in the gold country towns with my husband on vacation once and fell in love with the area. I am a 3rd generation Californian, and lived in San Diego for 61 yrs (plus my first 3 yrs. in San Luis Obispo) before we uprooted and came to North Carolina where our daughter and her family were living. We love it here and have had tons of rain here this year. Of course there is the humidity during the summer, but it's wonderful the rest of the year. Thank you again for writing your blog, or whatever you call it. I'm not too up on these things, but I love your photography and your lovely home.

    All the best,

    Pat Carnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pat. I am glad to hear from you. Yes, this is a blog for whatever it is worth. I love writing it and get excited when I know that others like reading it. We love the gold country but are originally from Santa Cruz in the bay area. That is where our kids live but we can visit when we want in about 4 hours so it isn't too far away. Our house was built in 1870 so, no, we don't have good A/C. We use lots of fans and have a small A/C in the bedroom window which works really well. It has just been exceptionally hot here this summer. We have vacationed in San Diego and really love it there. I bet you are glad to be by your daughter. I thank you for your kind words and hope that you will visit again..Happy Summer to you..xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. You are so like me wallowing in the colors of sunshine and the reds of fruits and flowers. I agree on the languishing...heat is just too much. I just spent almost 5 hours canning 3 batches of tomatoes. Canning bath only takes 15 minutes, but the washing, heating, staging, extra pots and pans destroys the kitchen, Not to mention red splatters, lol. So I guess I have yellow flames and red splatters in my decor..for now anyway. PS, I'm over stupidity and self-indulgence too---sick of it, and not attending a wedding because of it! Sigh, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi. Maybe we are both wallowing about this summer, but it sounds like you are accomplishing something. Me, not so much. I guess for awhile my one little voice seemed like it might work a little, but evidently the right ones aren't listening. I really don't like how I am thinking about all the slackers so I am going to give it a big try to just tune it all out. I don't mind staying in my safe little home and that is what I will do unless something changes..In the meantime, enjoy the summer, my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  3. Here we also have cooler weather❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kinga. I'm glad your weather is changing..Happy Summer..xxoJudy

      Delete
  4. Our weather Judy was so nice the past few days and tomorrow we are going back up in the heat again. This summer has been so weird. You know I love summer but I am actually looking forward to fall. I just hope we get one. Last year it was a quick couple of weeks of nice fall weather and then we were very cold. I think we all feel what you are feeling of no motivation. With Covid and all that is going on with that it is hard to feel happy about doing much. I agree with you if everyone would not be so selfish and get the damn vaccine we could all be living better and moving in a better direction. The science shows that people with the vaccine in all age groups that could get it are 97% free of the being hospitalized. All of those taking up the hospital beds are all unvaccinated people. Just crazy. Have a good week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris. I am glad you are having better weather. We have cooled down a bit in the last couple of days. I am so weary of hearing how the numbers in health and death are going up. I will just stay in my sweet little Cottage and enjoy life. I am looking forward to fall also. It can't come soon enough..Take care my friend..xxoJudy

      Delete
  5. Now that I am finished with my Halloween decor at the store, I am going to make myself a few pears for my own decorating. Love the addition of sunflowers in your wreath. These flowers are my happy flower as they always make me smile! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janice. They are my happy flowers too although I love almost every other kind also. I bet you are glad that you got the store together, hope you did well..Happy Summer.xxoJudy

      Delete
  6. Do not feel too bad about not getting much done. This has been a hot summer for most of the country. Some days if you're not sitting directly in front of a fan it's just miserable. I am trying to knock out things on my to do list and if I wait until Fall I'll be too far behind so I just get on with the tasks at hand. By the time I'm finished I'm a sweaty mess so I take a shower and sit in front of the fan. LOL But things are getting checked off the list. Slowly. The good news is we can definitely feel a change in the air. The mornings and nights are cooler and there is a change in the light. Fall is on the way. I love that beautiful sunflower wreath, it just screams late summer/early Fall. I'm so sorry you continue to have issues with the smoke. I sure wish those fires were out. I know if most of us could, we'd send help in the form of some rain. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for all your kind words and thoughts. Yes, we are still seeing lots of smoke. We really don't go outside much. It is pretty strong. Later in the afternoon it goes away and we rush around to do what we have to, then by the time we let the dogs out at night, which is the time we can sit on the porch for awhile usually, we have to rush right back in as it all comes back. I will be glad to see fall. The sun has been out but with the smoke haze you can't really tell and it has cooled down considerable, especially at night which is good for sleeping..Happy Tuesday to you..xxoJudy

      Delete
  7. I've been feeling the same way, Judy. The weather has really slowed me down lately. All I want to do is sit in the AC or swim in the pool. I love summer though. I'm still not ready for fall...but I do love the colors of the decor and the beautiful views of your home! Stay cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. We are a bit cooler here but the smoke is so bad that we can't go out much. I have gotten a few energy spurts so am trying to make the best of them..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  8. Judy,
    I love your beautiful wreath!! So pretty !! We keep getting temps. in the 90's with high humidity and it is slowing me down and making me feel actually ill...My ankles are swollen to double the size and my eye lids are also swollen......I really can't wait until Fall...We are currently getting pelted by rain from Fred...Yes, all the way up here in Pa.!! At least I do not have to water the garden!!Glad the one fire is taken care of but the other one is still raging...I wish I could sent you some of our rain!! Cases are rising here and most people are not wearing masks....I will not go out anywhere unless I have to which is rare...Stay safe, my friend!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. I remember when summer was my most favorite season, but I am not liking the heat any more. Although it has cooled down a bit here the smoke is taking the place of the sun. I wasn't going out much anyway but this makes it real. We now have a mask mandate in all public places but there are still ones who won't abide. It makes me so mad. I, and everyone else who tries to do the right thing, are paying the price for it all..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  9. I love all this stuff. But it's you that created everything? it's great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Amleta, for your kind words and your visit. Yes, it is me that does it all. I'm so glad you like it..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  10. You are possibly the most astute and articulate writer about the frustrations of Covid that I see on blogs (or otherwise) and I agree completely. It did become a game -- and a dangerous one. Numbers are soaring here, too. My art camp friend Kate and I are both Cork Poppers and we opted to stay north at art camp rather than go home to a group of not only our regular 14 but also Meredith's sisters, coming in from places all over the country. They are vaccinated and I'm sure quite careful but nonetheless, they had to get here and if it was on a plane, who knows what they picked up -- at least enough to share. I'm hoping to get a booster in the first wave. I can relate to the not-getting-things-done. And you know what? Sometimes, that's just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie. Yes, I am beginning to think that is just fine. I am trying to not feel guilty if I don't get it done today, and just wait for tomorrow, whenever that comes. I cancelled another lunch date with my girl friends and I miss them so much but, like you say, even though I know they are vaccinated, how do I (or they) know who they have come in contact with. I am so mad and selfishly feel that I am getting screwed by all the ones who don't give a damn. I do love my home, so I have that going for me..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  11. I feel for you! The heat of summer zaps all energy! We've been fortunate this summer. Normally we suffer through triple digit days for several months, but for some reason this summer has been different. We had a few days early on, but honestly I can't believe how pleasant it has been. We've even had unexpected rain. All good!
    I love sunflowers and need to go buy some. Your wreath is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah. Your summer sounds wonderful. Ours has been feeling a little better as far as the heat is concerned, but we only have a window in the late afternoon until the smoke takes over again. I love real sunflowers too but so far have only used faux. Am looking forward to the real thing..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete
  12. Hi Judy, your wreath is beautiful especially with adding the sunflowers for Fall. It's been an unusually hot Summer here also in Eastern Canada. We are in need of rain. I am rationing water in fear that the well will go dry although we're suppose to get thundershowers today.
    Covid cases have gone down and we are still wearing masks and staying at home, like hermits, most of the Summer.
    I feel for you with the smoke from the forest fires. Hope it all goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Thelma. It has been a little cooler here these past few days, but the smoke makes up for it now. I will be so glad when this part of seasonal problems is over. I am so happy that your counts have gone down. They are saying that now that the FDA has OK'd the one vaccine that maybe they will go down here too. I will not hold my breath, just keep wearing a mask and staying home..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

      Delete

Your comments are so special to me...Judy